Matnum PI

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:13 pm Have to assume that means Lyne is going to play a lot, no?
Not necessarily. There have been captains in the past that haven’t played a lot. But don’t know if new coaching staff will have a captain on the bench so good question
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Given how much of a mystery the defense is, I was just trying to read the tea leaves. But I have no idea. I would have guessed Lyne was behind Reinson and Jaronski in the LSM pecking order, and Fernandez as well. Having looked at the roster though, Fernandez is listed at D and not at LSM - hadn't noticed that - as long he still plays the wing, doesn't really matter I guess. Also interesting that we have a grand total of two guys (Glassmyer and Lilly) who are listed at SSDM. I assume Ince and Arteaga will eventually pick up that label as well, and I guessing MacManus or another pole (Lyne?) will switch to a shortie as well.

So many unknowns.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:39 pm Good stuff:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 29159?s=20
God I would love to play for this staff.
nyjay wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:34 pm Given how much of a mystery the defense is, I was just trying to read the tea leaves. But I have no idea. I would have guessed Lyne was behind Reinson and Jaronski in the LSM pecking order, and Fernandez as well. Having looked at the roster though, Fernandez is listed at D and not at LSM - hadn't noticed that - as long he still plays the wing, doesn't really matter I guess. Also interesting that we have a grand total of two guys (Glassmyer and Lilly) who are listed at SSDM. I assume Ince and Arteaga will eventually pick up that label as well, and I guessing MacManus or another pole (Lyne?) will switch to a shortie as well.

So many unknowns.
Martin also looked to be running with the SSDMs if these practice snippets are any indication.

Fernandez was hurt in the fall. I don't know his status but it's not the best sign that he's not visible in any of these practice videos.

Lyne has been through a lot—overcame a ton of injuries to finally start last year. Probably earned the respect of his teammates. Captaincy and playing time do usually have a strong correlation but who knows. Unless they scrimmage and HOB flies his spy drone over Homewood, we're not gonna have any idea what the lineups look like until that first game. Frustrating in one sense but also liberating and a little exciting in another. Kind of looking forward to being surprised at seeing where certain guys end up.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I don't think it's frustrating. It will be like Christmas morning. Who knows what we're going to get, but can't wait to see the presents. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to snoop around Mom and Dad's room to see what I can find.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:18 pm I don't think it's frustrating. It will be like Christmas morning. Who knows what we're going to get, but can't wait to see the presents. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to snoop around Mom and Dad's room to see what I can find.
100%. Just frustrating in the sense that in like 5 minutes '06 is probably going to come in here and ask why we don't know everything yet and why the school hasn't put out a 100-page guide to the season with complete lineup projections at every position.

Offense will be a bit easier to guess at. I'd be pretty surprised if the "starting attack" isn't some combination of Epstein, Williams, Grimes, and Angelus. But lots of other guys who could get mixed in either at attack or through the box.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-16, it's alumni/donor/recruiting engagement. Ohio State has a $220 million athletic department budget, and our acc/b1g rivals are in the news on an hourly basis either via their alumni like Tom Brady or coach k or something else and the ivies don't need espn to get into a kids college conversation. 15 year olds today see Rabil or Harrison maybe once a day if we're lucky w/a tweet or an ig post. It's not 2005 or 1995.

-Lyne is a fascinating story. 8 games in 4 years and a captain in year 5.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It of course means virtually nothing but one of the teeny tiny instagram videos a couple days ago showed #5 obviously on the wings of a face-off - if the pratcice jersey is correct that is Calnan. I wouldn't mind seeing a 6'4" long armed beast as LSM -if he can run
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:39 pm Good stuff:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 29159?s=20
When did Hopkins get the best social media team in college lacrosse?!?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:46 pm Image
Good crew.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

USILA preseason AA teams came out this morning. Hop has a grand total of one guy on the list - Kirson as an HM. Epstein nowhere to be found. I don't think it's entirely unfair based on last year's team and production, but it's still fairly shocking how bad that actually is.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:20 pm USILA preseason AA teams came out this morning. Hop has a grand total of one guy on the list - Kirson as an HM. Epstein nowhere to be found. I don't think it's entirely unfair based on last year's team and production, but it's still fairly shocking how bad that actually is.
Epstein's absence on that list (not even honorable mention) was mind-boggling, but I guess it's just further motivation. Between the three teams and HM they had 18 attackmen listed—you're telling me there are 18 attackmen better than a healthy Joey Epstein? Lol. Among attackmen who played in 2019, Epstein is tied for 8th in points per game. That's better than 7 of USILA's 9 HM attackmen and 2 of their 3 third teamers. They put Sam Handley on second team after he was hurt last year so clearly there isn't some inherent bias against guys who are coming back from injury. They also have attackmen from Drexel, Rutgers, and Albany on there so it's not like the list was reserved solely for players from good 2020 teams.

Having said that, yeah, Epstein is deserving but we don't have anyone else who is so they got that part right. Maybe Prouty or even Degnon as an HM but that's about it (the inclusion of the Yale middie on HM who had 5 pts last year was bizarre).

More fuel for the fire. Hopkins typically enters the season with everyone complaining about how overrated they are—don't see that happening this year. Hopefully the underdog role suits them because they other one sure didn't.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:49 pm
Having said that, yeah, Epstein is deserving but we don't have anyone else who is so they got that part right. Maybe Prouty or even Degnon as an HM but that's about it (the inclusion of the Yale middie on HM who had 5 pts last year was bizarre).

More fuel for the fire. Hopkins typically enters the season with everyone complaining about how overrated they are—don't see that happening this year. Hopefully the underdog role suits them because they other one sure didn't.
Cole Williams?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:49 pm

Cole Williams?
Good player—often the best one on the field when he plays physically—but his production is not AA level. 40-50 pts per year as an attackman is solid but not gonna earn you many national accolades.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I think he can reach that level this year. Seriously, I have high expectations for Cole. Assuming he stops running into triple teams.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:04 pm I think he can reach that level this year. Seriously, I have high expectations for Cole. Assuming he stops running into triple teams.
With Grimes and Epstein on attack, Williams may sometimes garner the opposing third D-man. Alternatively, if he draws the slide with his dodges, he will have several sharpshooters (Epstein, Degnon, Grimes(?)) to whom he can toss the rock.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:20 pm USILA preseason AA teams came out this morning. Hop has a grand total of one guy on the list - Kirson as an HM. Epstein nowhere to be found. I don't think it's entirely unfair based on last year's team and production, but it's still fairly shocking how bad that actually is.
it's a question of who other than epstein, maybe williams/prouty, probably grimes will make those teams going forward.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:18 pm
it's a question of who other than epstein, maybe williams/prouty, probably grimes will make those teams going forward.
Szuluk is a guy that wasn't on anyone's radar last year who could surprise a lot of people.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

By the end of the year, I’m pretty certain we’ll have more than just one HM on the list. Not entirely sure who (other than Joey), but there will be more than one.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”