Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020 - pivot

Post by WeWantMore »

Enough about abysmal lax. Go Hop Medicine! Make us proud!
-wwm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Cooter wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:07 pm So, what about the head coaching job at Hopkins?
I think he’s done. At least he went out in a very memorable thrilling OT victory.

Over The Mount.

At home, historic Homewood Field.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:26 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:52 pm I think Cornell always feels screwed.
We do!

Mens and womens hockey tournaments canceled … and guess who is the #1 team in the nation in both, for the first time ever?
:lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

A fact about the Johns Hopkins 1971 Lacrosse Team. I think that it reflects well on JHU, the JHU Lacrosse Tradition, the long-time ago JHU coaches, and why JHU Lacrosse represented something "special".

I was told by reliable sources that in 1971, Freshmen could now play (for the first time) on the Varsity by new NCAA rules. Hopkins had a great Freshmen class, but Scotty wouldn't let them play on the Varsity because Army, Navy, and the Ivy League were not going to play Freshmen on Varsity, and Scotty didn't want an "unfair" advantage. So he didn't play great freshmen on the 1971 Varsity. The 1971 Varsity was "thin" because so many experienced players had graduated.

Remember that the 1967, 1968, 1969, & 1970 Teams were all National Champions ( the 1965 Team only had 1 collegiate loss and that was to a great undefeated Navy Team that had Jimmy Lewis, Pat Donnelly, etc.

So cut the 1971 Team some slack (no, I didn't play on the 1971 Team) but I have empathy with their situation. They never gave up.

I also have sadness for the Ivy League and other top ranked Teams. Their players will not have those great memories of playing with and against other great players for the NC. Can't be helped.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Chitown wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:08 pmI also have sadness for the Ivy League and other top ranked Teams. Their players will not have those great memories of playing with and against other great players for the NC.
On the plus side, some of us Big Red fans are apparently better at keeping up with the news that some Blue Jay fans ...
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I do feel bad for those players. Quarterfinals possibly including Syracuse, Cornell, Princeton, Yale, UVA, Penn St., Maryland UNC - I would have wanted to see those games. If those were the 8 teams can you think of a bad game? It will be fascinating to see what Hopkins does - with no games until after April 12 and the Championship cancelled - can't see any reason to restart the season. If you are inclined to pull the trigger on the staff - when? Hopefully Ms. Baker knows what could be showing up in the fall - assuming school is open - and they need to do whatever they can to keep as much of it as possible - whether it's keeping the current staff or giving the new staff enough time to speak with the Grimes/McDermotts /Smiths etc.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 pm
Chitown wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:08 pmI also have sadness for the Ivy League and other top ranked Teams. Their players will not have those great memories of playing with and against other great players for the NC.
On the plus side, some of us Big Red fans are apparently better at keeping up with the news that some Blue Jay fans ...
So, you want me to have no empathy for the Ivy League ? :roll: Or is it just another cheap shot at JHU from the trolls.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:26 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:52 pm I think Cornell always feels screwed.
We do!

Mens and womens hockey tournaments canceled … and guess who is the #1 team in the nation in both, for the first time ever?
It’s my understanding from well-placed anonymous sources that the NCAA has been working overtime all season in order to find a way to stop Cornell’s hockey teams.
Then came the coronavirus pandemic, and the rest is history, as they say.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Chitown wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:45 pmSo, you want me to have no empathy for the Ivy League ? :roll: Or is it just another cheap shot at JHU from the trolls.
Uh, no:
March 12, 2020 4:07pm

Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... mpionships

Ain't gonna be no 2020 NCAA lacrosse tournament for JHU or anybody else.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Does this mean homecoming is off? If I were Homewood I'd call Maryland, tell them we haven't canceled homecoming yet, if things can get better maybe play an exhibition Hopkins vs terps, let the srs from both schools get to be honored before the game and appreciated by the fans.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:09 pm Does this mean homecoming is off? If I were Homewood I'd call Maryland, tell them we haven't canceled homecoming yet, if things can get better maybe play an exhibition Hopkins vs terps, let the srs from both schools get to be honored before the game and appreciated by the fans.
While on the surface this isn't the worst idea I have ever heard and has alot of the right sentiments - one would think Homecoming will be cancelled. 25th of April is 6 weeks from this Saturday- I just don't see a resolution to this that fast. People must fly, take trains and keep fairly longstanding reservations at hotels - I doubt 3 weeks from now someone from the CDC or WHO is going to say - All clear to allow for the logistics. Kids aren't allowed to gather and hold practices. Parents that might attend Homecoming may already have their kids home taking classes on line. Putting aside Petro's lame duck status for a second but if you were him would you risk Epstein playing in such an exhibition? What if seniors do get an extra year of eligibility and someone like Williams or Bernhardt would take it - would you risk a knee in such a game if you were Tillman or Petro? Keep thinking Butch
CU77

Post by CU77 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 pm
I think I must have misunderstood you: I thought you were singling out the Ivies as teams that would not play because of the Ivy decision (now superseded by the NCAA decision), but I now realize that you were likely expressing sympathy for all the teams that would not play, including the Ivies.

My apologies for my misunderstanding.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 pm It’s my understanding from well-placed anonymous sources that the NCAA has been working overtime all season in order to find a way to stop Cornell’s hockey teams.
Then came the coronavirus pandemic, and the rest is history, as they say.
True Cornell conspiracy theorists believe the virus was engineered specifically to stop the Big Red hockey teams!

At least we still have dark humor to comfort us.

Stay safe everyone.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Welp. I guess I can quit posting Massey, laf and Krach stats now.

I was thinking 3-10 (laf), 5-8 (Massey), or
6-7 by beating Rutgers followed by a B1G tourney loss 6-8,
or, 6-7, win B1G semi somehow, lose in final, 7-8.

Or, 6-7, win AQ 8-7, then another NC$$ blowout loss, ending at best 8-8.

Doesn’t matter now. It’s over.

Three final assessments:

1) 2-4. That’s it. Final. Wins over winless Towson and an exhilarating OT win over perennial powerhouse Mount.

2) No wins over former peer teams. All ugly big losses. Playoffs? PLAYOFFS? Multiple blowouts in the regular season. Hopkins has to start routinely being competitive again in the regular season if there’s ever going to be any hope for another drive into the quarterfinals and beyond.

3) The 2020 edition of the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays was the absolute worst I have ever seen. I’m sure the guys had heart. But their best was far from the norm and tradition. Lack of fundamentals in most facets of the game. Why?

One key was the loss of personnel. Epstein’s injury. Someone pointed out that the losses of Keogh and Concannon were very critical. Add to that the two self-inflicted losses of Foley and Rapine, and you’ve eliminated four potential starters.

The players do what they can. I’d like to see a new system to help them achieve more.

Make Hopkins Great Again.

2020 was the worst.

Stay safe.

Regards,
Wombat
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:42 am Welp. I guess I can quit posting Massey, laf and Krach stats now.

I was thinking 3-10 (laf), 5-8 (Massey), or
6-7 by beating Rutgers followed by a B1G tourney loss 6-8,
or, 6-7, win B1G semi somehow, lose in final, 7-8.

Or, 6-7, win AQ 8-7, then another NC$$ blowout loss, ending at best 8-8.

Doesn’t matter now. It’s over.

Three final assessments:

1) 2-4. That’s it. Final. Wins over winless Towson and an exhilarating OT win over perennial powerhouse Mount.

2) No wins over former peer teams. All ugly big losses. Playoffs? PLAYOFFS? Multiple blowouts in the regular season. Hopkins has to start routinely being competitive again in the regular season if there’s ever going to be any hope for another drive into the quarterfinals and beyond.

3) The 2020 edition of the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays was the absolute worst I have ever seen. I’m sure the guys had heart. But their best was far from the norm and tradition. Lack of fundamentals in most facets of the game. Why?

One key was the loss of personnel. Epstein’s injury. Someone pointed out that the losses of Keogh and Concannon were very critical. Add to that the two self-inflicted losses of Foley and Rapine, and you’ve eliminated four potential starters.

The players do what they can. I’d like to see a new system to help them achieve more.

Make Hopkins Great Again.

2020 was the worst.

Stay safe.

Regards,
Wombat
Most of us were good at “I guess I can quit posting”
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Well at least Epstein will get a chance to rest and recover.
I wonder if these players will get their year of eligibility back?
Could we see a starting attack next year of Epstein, Grimes, and Williams?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:53 am Well at least Epstein will get a chance to rest and recover.
Obviously it all depends on if players get another year of eligibility—and if they do, which ones come back (some will certainly decide to enter the work force)—but let's say they all do. Grimes and Williams are very similar players. Both big lefties who primarily dodge from the wing. Grimes can play some midfield (where he plays for the U19 team) but IMO you are never ever going to want to take that kid off the field. He belongs at attack. He and Epstein will be a formidable duo for years to come, assuming everyone is healthy by then. And then you've got an embarrassment of riches between Murphy, Angelus, McDermott, Bauer, Zinn, Degnon, Baskin, Chauvette, Concannon if he comes back etc. to fill out that third attack spot and the rest of the midfield. I am also a big fan of incoming freshman Johnathan Peshko. He has a rare combination of size/athleticism and those Canadian box skills, a combo I think translates quite well to today's field game. Offensively the incoming class is extremely deep. So I don't think you need to be a DocB-level optimist to recognize there are some pieces to be excited about on offense. Not as much the case on defense but Scott Smith at least is the real deal and I think there's a few more realistic candidates to help out at SSDM—Ince from McDonogh comes to mind.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

One would think the NCAA will grant an extra year of eligibility for the Spring Sports. Many variables to oversee - player's post graduation jobs, can they get into or want grad school, money etc. etc. but your proposed line is not out of the realm of possibility

Ms. Baker's job will certainly become a little more challenging over the near future. If the decision is not to renew or negotiate a new contract when do you pull the trigger? Does she understand that this next class that signed NLIs has the potential to help change the trajectory of the program? Three 5 stars , Seven 4 stars what has to happen to keep this class reasonably intact?

If that can be accomplished there seems to be some potential for some offensive talent running around:
Epstein
Degnon
Murphy
Angelus
Grimes
McDermott
Keogh
Zinn
Bauer

If Epstein, Degnon and Zinn get that year back - Keogh would be the only upperclassman in terms of eligibility on that list. That's a nucleus to work with.

I've already stated my overall opinion on 2020 team - they were too thin to absorb the losses of all those players. What was most distressing I think is the appearance of lack of fundamentals as evidenced by clearing, turnovers, penalty minutes, 38% EMO, the sub 50% assisted goals (usually a strength) juxtaposed against the 67% opponent assisted goal rate. Except for face-offs and shots per game (likely dramatically affected by the 3 absolute routs) there is not a single team stat that is in Hopkins favor. Then there's the eye test of absolute horrible execution - especially on defense where it appears Petro held a clinic on ball watching and how to do it.

My own thought is it's time to rip the band aid off either way as soon as possible - extend him or get the first ticket on the coaching carousel (and maybe walk down the hall to the women's team and see what SS is up to.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:27 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:53 am Well at least Epstein will get a chance to rest and recover.
Obviously it all depends on if players get another year of eligibility—and if they do, which ones come back (some will certainly decide to enter the work force)—but let's say they all do. Grimes and Williams are very similar players. Both big lefties who primarily dodge from the wing. Grimes can play some midfield (where he plays for the U19 team) but IMO you are never ever going to want to take that kid off the field. He belongs at attack. He and Epstein will be a formidable duo for years to come, assuming everyone is healthy by then. And then you've got an embarrassment of riches between Murphy, Angelus, McDermott, Bauer, Zinn, Degnon, Baskin, Chauvette, Concannon if he comes back etc. to fill out that third attack spot and the rest of the midfield. I am also a big fan of incoming freshman Johnathan Peshko. He has a rare combination of size/athleticism and those Canadian box skills, a combo I think translates quite well to today's field game. Offensively the incoming class is extremely deep. So I don't think you need to be a DocB-level optimist to recognize there are some pieces to be excited about on offense. Not as much the case on defense but Scott Smith at least is the real deal and I think there's a few more realistic candidates to help out at SSDM—Ince from McDonogh comes to mind.
Whatever the story is next year, there were a lot of players who now have 1-2 years of awful play. Are there upgrades coming at ssdm, goal and defense? What transfers would look good for us? Are these great recruits talents specifically suited to petro's coaching or would they transfer to other potential hires?

Good pt on homecoming, I've been getting an email a week from them.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:42 am One would think the NCAA will grant an extra year of eligibility for the Spring Sports. Many variables to oversee - player's post graduation jobs, can they get into or want grad school, money etc. etc. but your proposed line is not out of the realm of possibility

Ms. Baker's job will certainly become a little more challenging over the near future. If the decision is not to renew or negotiate a new contract when do you pull the trigger? Does she understand that this next class that signed NLIs has the potential to help change the trajectory of the program? Three 5 stars , Seven 4 stars what has to happen to keep this class reasonably intact?

If that can be accomplished there seems to be some potential for some offensive talent running around:
Epstein
Degnon
Murphy
Angelus
Grimes
McDermott
Keogh
Zinn
Bauer

If Epstein, Degnon and Zinn get that year back - Keogh would be the only upperclassman in terms of eligibility on that list. That's a nucleus to work with.

I've already stated my overall opinion on 2020 team - they were too thin to absorb the losses of all those players. What was most distressing I think is the appearance of lack of fundamentals as evidenced by clearing, turnovers, penalty minutes, 38% EMO, the sub 50% assisted goals (usually a strength) juxtaposed against the 67% opponent assisted goal rate. Except for face-offs and shots per game (likely dramatically affected by the 3 absolute routs) there is not a single team stat that is in Hopkins favor. Then there's the eye test of absolute horrible execution - especially on defense where it appears Petro held a clinic on ball watching and how to do it.

My own thought is it's time to rip the band aid off either way as soon as possible - extend him or get the first ticket on the coaching carousel (and maybe walk down the hall to the women's team and see what SS is up to.
Once Bobby starts coaching them up.......that should curb your enthusiasm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”