The North Korea Problem

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
3rdPersonPlural

Re: The North Korea Problem

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:47 pm It's been over 2 years since N Korea's last nuc test. None since the summit with Kim.
How many nukes did we test before deploying the first 2?

This was before 70 years of intensive engineering research that answered those lingering questions.

Kims 'tests' would be better described as 'demonstrations'.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:28 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:47 pm It's been over 2 years since N Korea's last nuc test. None since the summit with Kim.
How many nukes did we test before deploying the first 2?

This was before 70 years of intensive engineering research that answered those lingering questions.

Kims 'tests' would be better described as 'demonstrations'.
Refresh my memory here... didn't Bill Clinton make the nuke agreement with the Norks that would never allow them to attain a nuclear weapon??? Just axin… Can some of you FLP die hards explain where it all went to hell in hand basket? I am just guessing but I bet the answer revolves around something the republicans did to eff it all up. :roll: https://www.history.com/news/north-kore ... -framework When the democrats eff something up bigtime what is the natural response/excuse... that is correct... blame it on the republicans. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
3rdPersonPlural

I believe that North Korea has been ignoring solemn international agreements since Eisenhower.

Trump is trying a less conventional approach. Someone had described his NK Diplomacy as akin 2 drunks alternatively insulting and hugging each other in a bar. I don't think it'll work any better than previous Presidents conventional approaches, but I fear it may prove to make things worse.......faster.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 pmI don't think it'll work any better than previous Presidents conventional approaches, but I fear it may prove to make things worse.......faster.
Why do I get the feeling that you hope so? You been praying for a recession as well?
3rdPersonPlural

tech37 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 pmI don't think it'll work any better than previous Presidents conventional approaches, but I fear it may prove to make things worse.......faster.
Why do I get the feeling that you hope so? You been praying for a recession as well?
No, I'm vulnerable to a recession. I know that the economic cycle happens and one is inevitable, but I just need 3 or 4 more years before the wheels come off.......
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:06 pm
No, I'm vulnerable to a recession. I know that the economic cycle happens and one is inevitable, but I just need 3 or 4 more years before the wheels come off.......
Amen!!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:06 pm
Sounds as though we're in same boat :?
a fan

Post by a fan »

We're all in the same d*mn boat on all these issues, tech.

Millions of Americans have forgotten this reality....
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

US-North Korea nuclear talks are sputtering. South Korea is furious.

"SEOUL — The Trump administration likes to say that all is going well with its effort to rid North Korea of its nuclear weapons. As long as Pyongyang doesn’t test long-range missiles or the bomb, negotiations remain mostly on track, President Donald Trump consistently claims.

But one country is clearly bristling at America’s management of the North Korea problem: South Korea.

That became immediately clear during my trip to Seoul this week, just days before South Korean President Moon Jae-in plans to meet with Trump at the United Nations. After chats with multiple government officials and experts, the sense in the capital is that the US proceeded with its own North Korea agenda without much thought for its staunch ally’s positions.

“We’re not at the negotiating table,” a top South Korean official told me on the condition of anonymity. “That bothers me.”

That’s not only making it harder for Washington to strike a nuclear deal with Pyongyang, these people say, but could also potentially doom Moon’s top project: improving inter-Korean ties.

Which means if the US doesn’t assuage South Korea soon — or at least make substantial progress with North Korea in the near future — the Trump administration may lose the trust of its counterparts in Seoul. And if that happens, the president’s chances of solving the North Korea crisis dwindle even further."

Chalk another failure up for the Con Man in Chief...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

NK just shot another missile at Japan. So tell me again how Trump has changed anything. :roll: Oh that's right short range missiles don't count cause a nuke on one of these is not capable of causing any real problem.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 am NK just shot another missile at Japan. So tell me again how Trump has changed anything. :roll: Oh that's right short range missiles don't count cause a nuke on one of these is not capable of causing any real 8-) problem.
How can that be... Bill Clinton put the Nork problem to bed 20 years ago. If I remember he made the agreement with the Norks so that this could never happen...
3rdPersonPlural

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:52 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 am NK just shot another missile at Japan. So tell me again how Trump has changed anything. :roll: Oh that's right short range missiles don't count cause a nuke on one of these is not capable of causing any real 8-) problem.
How can that be... Bill Clinton put the Nork problem to bed 20 years ago. If I remember he made the agreement with the Norks so that this could never happen...
To be fair, every Administration since Eisenhower has done their best to put the NK problem behind us.

Every effort was declared to be the best and final solution.

None worked.

Whatabout-ism is to debate what sarcasm is to humor -- a lame substitute. You're better than that C&S
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Talks broke down (again) this morning; but the love affair is going strong according to Orange Duce.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:46 pm
To be fair, every Administration since Eisenhower has done their best to put the NK problem behind us.

Every effort was declared to be the best and final solution. ; yes but they waited until after something had been accomplished and committed to paper. Trump has claimed victory a half dozen times while accomplishing nothing. All the while his idiot supporters tell us how great it is -- "see see I told you he would do it". You can't claim anyone else has done better - but you also cannot claim Orange Duce has done better. The North has a working nuke and there is nothing we are going to do about it, which is fine by me, I have always said it is not really that big of an issue, but lets call it what it is rather than letting them keep their nukes and declaring victory. They wanted nukes and now they have got nukes - we did nothing and are going to do nothing (at least not under Trump). All that we will do is a press release spinning it.

None worked.

Whatabout-ism is to debate what sarcasm is to humor -- a lame substitute. You're better than that C&S
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Every effort was declared to be the best and final solution. ; yes but they waited until after something had been accomplished and committed to paper. Trump has claimed victory a half dozen times while accomplishing nothing. All the while his idiot supporters tell us how great it is -- "see see I told you he would do it". You can't claim anyone else has done better - but you also cannot claim Orange Duce has done better. The North has a working nuke and there is nothing we are going to do about it, which is fine by me, I have always said it is not really that big of an issue, but lets call it what it is rather than letting them keep their nukes and declaring victory. They wanted nukes and now they have got nukes - we did nothing and are going to do nothing (at least not under Trump). All that we will do is a press release spinning it.

None worked.

But Bill Clinton declared that his administration had stopped the Norks from getting nukes.
https://www.history.com/news/north-kore ... -framework
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 pm Talks broke down (again) this morning; but the love affair is going strong according to Orange Duce.
Oh, they're just about to cave.

TrumpFans will double down on our Great Negotiator.

Iran. N Korea. EU trade. China trade. Spinning his wheels-----which would be fine if he and his fans didn't shoot their mouths off about how much he did that previous Presidents couldn't.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:36 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 pm Talks broke down (again) this morning; but the love affair is going strong according to Orange Duce.
Oh, they're just about to cave.

TrumpFans will double down on our Great Negotiator.

Iran. N Korea. EU trade. China trade. Spinning his wheels-----which would be fine if he and his fans didn't shoot their mouths off about how much he did that previous Presidents couldn't.
Wait... the Clinton administration solved the Nork problem decades ago. How is this even an issue today? ;)
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:25 pm

None worked.

But Bill Clinton declared that his administration had stopped the Norks from getting nukes.
Yes, but he actually got them to sign something on paper - with specifics as related to actual denuclearization, that was later reneged on. What Trump had signed was one page of high level intentions, 4 bullet points an intention to denuclearize with no specifics related to that bullet point. The Clinton agreement was much farther along, specifying actual actions to denuclearize. If you can't see the difference, that's your problem. The North lied to Clinton and they are lying to Trump. Trump got less and then made the same mistake Clinton did - thinking he had something. :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:43 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:25 pm

None worked.

Yes, but he actually got them to sign something on paper - with specifics as related to actual denuclearization, that was later reneged on. What Trump had signed was one page of high level intentions, 4 bullet points an intention to denuclearize with no specifics related to that bullet point. The Clinton agreement was much farther along, specifying actual actions to denuclearize. If you can't see the difference, that's your problem. The North lied to Clinton and they are lying to Trump. Trump got less and then made the same mistake Clinton did - thinking he had something. :roll:
Sortakinda like the same way things went with Iran. Barry hammers out a deal with a wink and a handshake that he knows wont fly with the US Senate and for that matter the Iranian leaders would not even sign. The Iranians did get all that cold hard cash though... nothing mattered much after that. What is that you say... the wheels on the bus go round and round... Trump is just the next US President to be made a fool of by the Norks. I doubt that he will be the last. I wonder how POTUS Warren would deal with the Norks? Hell... I don't think anyone has ever asked her. I have a pretty good idea how she will deal with Iran. Maybe at some point in time president Warren can tell us what her plan is.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Except you know, Iran honored that deal until a year or so after Trump pulled out of it and since then he hasn't negotiated any other deal.

How did that work out? Trump is so incredibly terrible.

Return to “POLITICS”