Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Laxgunea »

Haven't heard about any layoffs. I can't it believe it was the head Strength and Condiioning coach (Gray?). He was assistant AD too. Must have been an assistant. Either that or it was something besides cost cutting.
Look, there is no mystery that Hobart and William Smith are in similar dire financial straits as many schools of similar size. And it'll probably get worse. There is a negative attitude to higher ed in the US at the moment (people think it isn't practical), and there was the drop in birthrate after 2008. Boys in particular are going to college in lower rates than in a generation or more. So admissions are very tight. But the rumor around Geneva is that they've cut all they could and the only way forward now is grow or die.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Seems crazy given that tuition is listed as approaching 80k a year. The dorms from what I hear are in the same shape as 1970, no real infrastructure investments that put us behind, cost of labor should not be issue in Geneva. All seems more concerning. I assume that many students are getting “grants” and tuition reductions because of income levels but still….. Also i understand we added like 6-8 sports in the past 3 years for both sexes.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Prior to allowing students to borrow money for education, tuition was reasonable. I paid 500.00 per semester. Then our good ole government got involved and allowed borrowing..... the colleges responded. Hey, students can borrow, raise tuition.
Same with health care. Prior to Medicare/Medicaid health care was affordable. Then the government created the two systems. Doctor and hospitals responded.... hey deep pockets.
And how about the NCAA.... D3 can no longer play D1 in lacrosse. And looks what's going on with football. Can't recognize your teams any more.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Congrats to the hoops team on their LL championship and March madness berth. Hockey won in their league semis pretty comfortably also.

Saw Cornell let one slip away against DU which means they’ll be pissed and ready to play us. Ugh.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Huge attendance at the Hockey and Basketball games this weekend in playoff action. Bball wins LL for first time in 10 years, and last time we were in, team won against ranked teams St. Josephs of CT and Springfield and ended up #20 in country before Covid ended the season. Oh, the "fired" Strength and Conditioning coaches were having a great time at the Bball game with their kids today.Hockey team is like the old D3 lax teams, dominant , play with passion and well coached.....should have a good chance for back to back Championships...but you never know how the puck bounces.
As far as the lax team, I don't really understand why a great Freshman goalie sits while your #1 is struggling big time?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Freshman goalie deserves a start after last game. I hope they play like they've got nothing to lose. And I would love to see some smiles on the faces. I hear they are a close knit bunch, and friends on campus tell me they are good guys. Now if they can cut loose a bit on O, making crisp passes and feeds, I think we have the talent to score. After seeing two games and a scrimmage, I think we've got a strong D anchor in Firth. As the younger guys get up to speed, I expect that part of our game to improve. Looks like it will be a beautiful evening to be in Ithaca.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Podcast is up:

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-74/166

Not a lot of CU talk until maybe halfway point. Sounds like we have more guys out (again).
315lax

Post by 315lax »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:46 pm Freshman goalie deserves a start after last game.
Heard they are starting Wilson. The freshman deserves the chance. Stats don’t lie.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

315lax wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:07 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:46 pm Freshman goalie deserves a start after last game.
Heard they are starting Wilson. The freshman deserves the chance. Stats don’t lie.
[/quote

If Wilson is the starter, I hope he has his best day yet. We don't need a repeat of last years situation.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Both goalies look pretty good. I suspect it will be a back and forth and maybe by committee throughout the year. I understand we have some additional injuries and coach kind of referred to season long injuries in the podcast. Any idea who? I know Herlihy was out, Troy b and ward looked injured and also DIno. Shae is banged up and maybe out? Envin has missed a ton but he isn’t a contributor yet. I was going through the list of sophomores and freshman and it looks like those two classes are big contributors and look like the future of our team. I think just as many freshman play as seniors for example. Thoughts?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

To all my fanlax forum friends from Hobart; the weather for tonight's game looks nice so please make the trip down 96/79, to the Kopf and cheer on your team.
If you do come, come say hi, as I always sit about 3/4 of the way up at the 50 yard line. I'm easy to spot with my JETS hat on screaming like an idiot when Cornell scores.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
brodad

Post by brodad »

I think Wilson has been 30+% while Faiola has been 50+%. Why not start the guy who's hot right now? Situation could change later in the season. Maybe they're just trying to work things out before conference play starts?
315lax

Post by 315lax »

brodad wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:47 am
I think Wilson has been 30+% while Faiola has been 50+%. Why not start the guy who's hot right now? Situation could change later in the season. Maybe they're just trying to work things out before conference play starts?
We are #1 in the A10 for faceoffs. We are #5 out of 6 for total Save %. That will change to last place if the the St. Joes grad student returns to the field. We can get the ball we cant stop the ball. Faiola is 54% with a little over 1/3 of the playing time, Wilson is 34% with 2/3. Lets stop the ball more and have a shot at winning a few games. Didnt we loose a bunch of 1-2 goal games last year? I think the extra % would sure come in handy in those situations.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:40 am To all my fanlax forum friends from Hobart; the weather for tonight's game looks nice so please make the trip down 96/79, to the Kopf and cheer on your team.
If you do come, come say hi, as I always sit about 3/4 of the way up at the 50 yard line. I'm easy to spot with my JETS hat on screaming like an idiot when Cornell scores.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Joewillie78, thanks for the hospitality. You may have a sore throat after this one is done.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:40 am To all my fanlax forum friends from Hobart; the weather for tonight's game looks nice so please make the trip down 96/79, to the Kopf and cheer on your team.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Meet you at the Rongo before faceoff ;) May need a few of their Fogcutters unless the Statesmen come to play!
315lax

Post by 315lax »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:13 am
Meet you at the Rongo before faceoff ;) May need a few of their Fogcutters unless the Statesmen come to play!
[/quote]

That place was a gem. I preferred the Suffering Bastard. This was a timely post as I was just using "The Google". to find a pre-pre game beverage.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

315lax wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:29 am
That place was a gem. I preferred the Suffering Bastard. This was a timely post as I was just using "The Google". to find a pre-pre game beverage.
[/quote]

Unfortunately the Rongo no longer exists. Been a few years now. Don't know what happened. It's now Garrett's, and they do have great beer, so worth a stop.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I'd love to but that is on the other side of the lake. I have a couple places I can stop on the way for a beverage; Hopshire craft brewery and Brewers taproom and grill, both right between my house and the Kopf.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:00 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I'd love to but that is on the other side of the lake. I have a couple places I can stop on the way for a beverage; Hopshire craft brewery and Brewers taproom and grill, both right between my house and the Kopf.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
My comment was tongue-in-cheek, prefer the Creeker and hangin' with Frank!
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

FL-GO wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:49 pm Podcast is up:

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-74/166

Not a lot of CU talk until maybe halfway point. Sounds like we have more guys out (again).
Jack Cascadden, Cornell's All-Ivy FOGO, is out with an ACL injury as disclosed by his Dad (ex Jet LB) on CU thread. I think Raymond looks bad based on his comments on the podcast, even if you're joking you should never wish that an opposing player is injured, even if it is a "complement" of sorts. I'm embarrassed for Raymond representing Hobart in this instance. All the best to Jack in recovery from his injury.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”