Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxitup21

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by Laxitup21 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:21 pm If they lose to Hopkins, not sure they make the tourny unless they dominate ACC play.
Army probably needed this out of conference game more than Syracuse.
Don’t think so. Winning patriot league is much easier than ACC. Only one team is making it from that league. This win may backdoor them in regardless if they lose their conf tourny.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:27 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:21 pm If they lose to Hopkins, not sure they make the tourny unless they dominate ACC play.
Don’t think so. Winning patriot league is much easier than ACC. Only one team is making it from that league. This win may backdoor them in regardless if they lose their conf tourny.
I do.

Look at who Army has left, versus who Syracuse has left.
a fan

Post by a fan »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:28 pm
I do.

Syracuse has 7 top 20 opponents left on the schedule, and that's BEFORE the ACC tourney. They're fine.

But yep, they have to start winning against top 20 teams.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 pm
I do.

Syracuse has 7 top 20 opponents left on the schedule, and that's BEFORE the ACC tourney. They're fine.

Top 20? Lol. That’s like 90% of D1 teams. They need top 7 wins at this point.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 pm
I do.

Top 20? Lol. That’s like 90% of D1 teams. They need top 7 wins at this point. And who said making the ACC tourny is guaranteed?
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Watching that game made me realize how much the orange miss Jake Stevens right now. If he plays then I truly believe they win that game. He’s a great 2 way guy and all, but he does his best work on the wings. Felt like army kept winning those 50/50 scrums at the face off dot and if Stevens was playing he gets at least 2 or 3 of those for Cuse.

These injuries to Cuse’s short sticks is killing them.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Laxguy703 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:03 pm Watching that game made me realize how much the orange miss Jake Stevens right now. If he plays then I truly believe they win that game. He’s a great 2 way guy and all, but he does his best work on the wings. Felt like army kept winning those 50/50 scrums at the face off dot and if Stevens was playing he gets at least 2 or 3 of those for Cuse.

Yup down 3 guys with two out for the year. Stevens should be back for Hopkins he's apparently close but his absence was definitely felt tonight. Army's always a handful on GB's, a guy like Stevens and or Rosa would have helped a lot.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Cuse definitely gets a few more possessions if Stevens played which could have been the difference in the game. Stevens is a ball hawk on the wing.
lorin

Post by lorin »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:39 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:03 pm Watching that game made me realize how much the orange miss Jake Stevens right now. If he plays then I truly believe they win that game. He’s a great 2 way guy and all, but he does his best work on the wings. Felt like army kept winning those 50/50 scrums at the face off dot and if Stevens was playing he gets at least 2 or 3 of those for Cuse.

Yup down 3 guys with two out for the year. Stevens should be back for Hopkins he's apparently close but his absence was definitely felt tonight. Army's always a handful on GB's, a guy like Stevens and or Rosa would have helped a lot.
Injuries go both ways Army was missing a starting attackmen in Paul Johnson.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

That was a great game. Really hard to separate anywhere. Faceoffs were pretty even. Goalies save %, was about even. Clears were great for both teams.
For me, the difference in the game was AJ Pilate keeping Spallina from scoring any goals.
I've got to believe that any team that can keep Spallina from scoring 0 goals in a game would like their chances of beating the Cuse.
Of course, not many teams have a Zapitelli, or a Pilate that can shutdown the other teams top threat.

Again, just a great match up of 2 top 10 teams. Fun to watch.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

In 6 games, Joey Spallina has: 38 Points- 14 goals, 24 assists, and 14 TO's.
Spallina vs Vermont, Colgate, Manhattan, and Utah: 33 points- 13 goals, 20 assists, and 9 TO's. All wins.
Spallina vs MD and Army: 5 points- 1 goal, 4 assists, and 5 TO's. Both losses.
UMD: 1G, 2A, & 1 TO. Army: 0G, 2A, & 4TO.

Need #22 to step up in big games. This is the issue people (and myself) have with him. I don't mind him running it up against lesser opponents (7+ points in all their wins), but when you're not putting up solid points against the good ones and losing, it's not a great look. Looks like he wanted no part of Pilate last night (I wouldn't either, he's an animal).

The defenders matched up on him and schemes against him will only get better from this point on.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I can't believe DraftKings had Army +3.5....I bet Cuse fans even took that line....
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:34 am In 6 games, Joey Spallina has: 38 Points- 14 goals, 24 assists, and 14 TO's.
Spallina vs Vermont, Colgate, Manhattan, and Utah: 33 points- 13 goals, 20 assists, and 9 TO's. All wins.

Need #22 to step up in big games. This is the issue people (and myself) have with him. I don't mind him running it up against lesser opponents (7+ points in all their wins), but when you're not putting up solid points against the good ones and losing, it's not a great look. Looks like he wanted no part of Pilate last night (I wouldn't either, he's an animal).

The defenders matched up on him and schemes against him will only get better from this point on.
He also took a terrible behind the back shot in OT with no back up behind the goal. 25+ left on the shot clock too. Cuse never saw the ball again.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Abr2016 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:59 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:34 am In 6 games, Joey Spallina has: 38 Points- 14 goals, 24 assists, and 14 TO's.

He also took a terrible behind the back shot in OT with no back up behind the goal. 25+ left on the shot clock too. Cuse never saw the ball again.
Not true, Cuse got the ball right back on that ride and that's when Mule missed the open net and they had no back up again. At that point they never saw the ball again.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

True. Sorry. But still a horrendous shot.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I feel for Spallina a bit as he is always going to draw the other teams best defender, just like here at Cornell, Kirst will always draw that assignment. They just have to tough it out, and fight that much harder. Comparing these 2 is a bit difficult as their games are different but being the #1 option, still means that you draw the #1 defenseman, and they know that going in. Everyone on the planet knew Pilate would cover Spallina.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:47 am That was a great game. Really hard to separate anywhere. Faceoffs were pretty even. Goalies save %, was about even. Clears were great for both teams.
For me, the difference in the game was AJ Pilate keeping Spallina from scoring any goals.
I've got to believe that any team that can keep Spallina from scoring 0 goals in a game would like their chances of beating the Cuse.
Of course, not many teams have a Zapitelli, or a Pilate that can shutdown the other teams top threat.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Pilate is fantastic. Last year he did the best job against Kirst that I’ve seen during CJ’s Cornell career. Pilate to me is a 1st team AA hands down.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxjuris wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:40 am
joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:47 am That was a great game. Really hard to separate anywhere. Faceoffs were pretty even. Goalies save %, was about even. Clears were great for both teams.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Pilate is fantastic. Last year he did the best job against Kirst that I’ve seen during CJ’s Cornell career. Pilate to me is a 1st team AA hands down.
Absolutely. Him and Ajax are this years Adler.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Finster

Post by Finster »

I understand the frustration, but he's only a sophomore...he'll figure out ways to get seperation soon.

This was a great game. Army is a REALLY good team. I don't see much in their way to remaining undefeated until tourney time. UNC maybe? The PL this year is not stacked...the only way Army loses is if they overlook an opponent like loyola, which can take advantage of a team sleeping on them.

'Cuse is not far from being undefeated right now. The problem for Cuse is their schedule only gets harder from here on. High Point and Hobart are the only games that I would generally consider a lock.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Gobigred
Joewillie78
When Cuse went up 9-6 I thought maybe they'd be able to push it. But yeah, that was just an amazing contest of wills and creativity. Really fun.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”