Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
TNLAX

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by TNLAX »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:13 pm
lax410 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:17 am No where near qualified for the OSU job?
Correct - every college assistant in NCAA D1 is more qualified. That is roughly 240 coaches that are MORE QUALIFIED than TC so hence…

Not qualified.
Just for discussion purposes, here is a link to Vanderbilt's asst coach:

https://vucommodores.com/coach/emily-talluto/

I think TC is much more qualified than this assistant. TC's experience playing under Cathy Reese, her experiences on the national team and her job at McDonogh has given her exposure to some of the best coaching minds in the business. The Mcdonogh programs are run like college programs in many ways.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

TNLAX wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:23 pm
lax410 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:17 am No where near qualified for the OSU job?
Correct - every college assistant in NCAA D1 is more qualified. That is roughly 240 coaches that are MORE QUALIFIED than TC so hence…

Not qualified.

I think TC is much more qualified than this assistant. TC's experience playing under Cathy Reese, her experiences on the national team and her job at McDonogh has given her exposure to some of the best coaching minds in the business. The Mcdonogh programs are run like college programs in many ways.
Roughly 239 coaches that are more qualified than TC - corrected!
maddox511

Post by maddox511 »

Just because someone is already performing a job at a particular level doesn't mean they are more qualified than someone else who has "never held that position". There is an old saying about hiring skilled labor: "You have 1 year experience 20 times or you have 20 years experience 1 time". It's about being a student of your profession, growing and learning past whatever level got you there.
In addition, there are many traits and abilities that are able to cross over into different professions. This is no different for D1 women's lacrosse. Good managers know how to manage people, no matter the trade. It helps to have experience in that realm, but if you know how to manage people, personalities, can troubleshoot and navigate issues, you already have a leg up.
Good coaches, no matter the level of play, need to manage people well. Need to be a buffer between the higher ups and their personnel. They need to be proficient in their trade (student of the game or "always a white belt"). Recruiting is sales. Sales is consistent, transparent and honest communication, while always being available.
TC is more than qualified. Would you say that KT gained more, valuable experience as an assistant at Boston College than TC who led her team to a championship this year. Is managing high school students, who are still working through their recruiting process and don't have as much mental maturity as older players easier to coach than college students. They each have their pros and cons for sure! She played for one of the all time greats. She came directly behind a legend at McDonough and thrived. If they call her number, she is more than qualified and she will be ready and she will do great.
And no, I've never met TC personally! You don't need a hiring committee or waste dollars on a head hunter company. The eye test is all you need!
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

intheknow247 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:04 pm
TNLAX wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:23 pm

Not qualified.

Roughly 239 coaches that are more qualified than TC - corrected!
I think if you actually look at the backgrounds of a lot of the Assisant coaches currently in women’s college lacrosse you will see that TC has a lot more experience in lacrosse and leadership than a lot of them. There are a number of assistants that have more experience than TC, no question about that.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

maddox511 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:59 pm Just because someone is already performing a job at a particular level doesn't mean they are more qualified than someone else who has "never held that position". There is an old saying about hiring skilled labor: "You have 1 year experience 20 times or you have 20 years experience 1 time". It's about being a student of your profession, growing and learning past whatever level got you there.
In addition, there are many traits and abilities that are able to cross over into different professions. This is no different for D1 women's lacrosse. Good managers know how to manage people, no matter the trade. It helps to have experience in that realm, but if you know how to manage people, personalities, can troubleshoot and navigate issues, you already have a leg up.
Good coaches, no matter the level of play, need to manage people well. Need to be a buffer between the higher ups and their personnel. They need to be proficient in their trade (student of the game or "always a white belt"). Recruiting is sales. Sales is consistent, transparent and honest communication, while always being available.
TC is more than qualified. Would you say that KT gained more, valuable experience as an assistant at Boston College than TC who led her team to a championship this year. Is managing high school students, who are still working through their recruiting process and don't have as much mental maturity as older players easier to coach than college students. They each have their pros and cons for sure! She played for one of the all time greats. She came directly behind a legend at McDonough and thrived. If they call her number, she is more than qualified and she will be ready and she will do great.
And no, I've never met TC personally! You don't need a hiring committee or waste dollars on a head hunter company. The eye test is all you need!
"TC is more than qualified" - and yet you have never met her - hahahahahaha!!! :lol:
maddox511

Post by maddox511 »

"TC is more than qualified" - and yet you have never met her - hahahahahaha!!! :lol:

How many AD's have ever "met" the coaches they interview to hire? In any line of work, many people are hired without the initial benefit of "meeting" someone prior to the interview. Most people attempt to put their best foot forward in an interview. That doesn't necessarily mean they are either fit for the position or don't have some hidden personality trait that shows up later (i.e. abusive coaches - which there are plenty). Riddle me this - how come there are a handful of narcissistic, abusive and twisted coaches who are able to continue even though their AD's not only have "met" them but are aware of their character flaws.

Most AD's are talking to other AD's or other sources "in the know" on top of the job interview, and perhaps there are follow up interviews as well with more individuals responsible for the hiring (or at least have input).

As a former Marine Officer, that title carries a little bit of weight, regardless if that person has met me. You respect the rank, but it's up to the individual to prove their value, worth and integrity. The credibility and reputation gets you in the door, the character keeps you there.

TC has more than proven herself to be a worthy candidate (whether she is currently or not doesn't matter for the sake of this argument). When you are trusted on many levels by people who are trusted and proven themselves, that carries immense weight. If that wasn't the case then Cindy Timchal's coaching tree should be short. It's not. Being in the presence of greatness produces greatness.

Just because I've never met TC, doesn't mean I don't know many people (coaches, teammates, etc) who have. Just because I've never met TC doesn't mean I don't have the capacity to be a good judge of character based on her experience and body of work. "You judge a horse by the races they've been in".
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

maddox511 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:22 pm "TC is more than qualified" - and yet you have never met her - hahahahahaha!!! :lol:

How many AD's have ever "met" the coaches they interview to hire? In any line of work, many people are hired without the initial benefit of "meeting" someone prior to the interview. Most people attempt to put their best foot forward in an interview. That doesn't necessarily mean they are either fit for the position or don't have some hidden personality trait that shows up later (i.e. abusive coaches - which there are plenty). Riddle me this - how come there are a handful of narcissistic, abusive and twisted coaches who are able to continue even though their AD's not only have "met" them but are aware of their character flaws.

Most AD's are talking to other AD's or other sources "in the know" on top of the job interview, and perhaps there are follow up interviews as well with more individuals responsible for the hiring (or at least have input).

As a former Marine Officer, that title carries a little bit of weight, regardless if that person has met me. You respect the rank, but it's up to the individual to prove their value, worth and integrity. The credibility and reputation gets you in the door, the character keeps you there.

TC has more than proven herself to be a worthy candidate (whether she is currently or not doesn't matter for the sake of this argument). When you are trusted on many levels by people who are trusted and proven themselves, that carries immense weight. If that wasn't the case then Cindy Timchal's coaching tree should be short. It's not. Being in the presence of greatness produces greatness.

Just because I've never met TC, doesn't mean I don't know many people (coaches, teammates, etc) who have. Just because I've never met TC doesn't mean I don't have the capacity to be a good judge of character based on her experience and body of work. "You judge a horse by the races they've been in".
- Hardly any AD's have met the person prior to interview...but someone else has (SWA, hiring Assoc/Asst AD, etc).
- Can't speak on bad coaches, perhaps a lust to win by athletic Dept???
- Your title might get you in the door (thank you for your service), but you still have to bring the qualifications.

Here is where you are lost - when you say she has "more than proven herself"...in what way??? HS coach for 5 years at a school flooding with talent that makes the job pretty easy. Character is great but you have to be able to bring the experience and know how - what races has she been in as a coach? If OSU were to even entertain speaking with a coach that has ZERO experience at the college level, then they might as well pack up and leave the Big Ten.
bobinvaluvswlax

Post by bobinvaluvswlax »

Marist coach stepped down
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Looks like Cummings is venturing in to the Sports Performance sector, not college coaching
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:09 pm Looks like Cummings is venturing in to the Sports Performance sector, not college coaching
Good for her. More money, less stress.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

First weekend on the summer circuit watching my oldest play at LLL and caught with friends from the industry. Seems like the following is the current lowdown on open positions. Totally unconfirmed so I’m not going to mention names except for one that said no but might show how much outside the box one group is thinking.

Brown: lots of names being floated out. Heard they spoke to Jamie Munro (Brown alum and former denver men’s coach). Seems like an ACC assistant involved on the job, a current patriot league assistant coach, and a head coach from the MAAC.

Oregon- Had candidates out on campus this past week. No offer extended from what I understand. Might be bringing more out. Seem to want someone that has head coaching experience.

OSU- toughest one to crack. I heard they have called everyone that usually gets these calls. Interviewing in the next two weeks. Looking at a well respected coach from the ACC assistant ranks and a two head coaches. People say that it’s been a tough sell with how the coaching change has gone down.
kidsgame

Post by kidsgame »

I wonder if the Patriot League assistant is one of the Colgate assistants abandoning ship?
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Oregon and Brown have their coach and should be announced soon. Oregon hired an associate head coach who is a really good fit for a program that is unique in many ways. Brown hired an assistant with head coaching experience, definitely a home run hire in my opinion. The Ivy is starting to become very interesting with this coach coming into the fold.
Ohiolaxfan

Post by Ohiolaxfan »

Which one did the Louisville assistant take? They thanked her for everything on Twitter but no mention where she is going
truster49

Post by truster49 »

PhanLax99 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:48 am Oregon and Brown have their coach and should be announced soon. Oregon hired an associate head coach who is a really good fit for a program that is unique in many ways. Brown hired an assistant with head coaching experience, definitely a home run hire in my opinion. The Ivy is starting to become very interesting with this coach coming into the fold.
Why do you say Oregon is unique?
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:07 pm First weekend on the summer circuit watching my oldest play at LLL and caught with friends from the industry. Seems like the following is the current lowdown on open positions. Totally unconfirmed so I’m not going to mention names except for one that said no but might show how much outside the box one group is thinking.

Brown: lots of names being floated out. Heard they spoke to Jamie Munro (Brown alum and former denver men’s coach). Seems like an ACC assistant involved on the job, a current patriot league assistant coach, and a head coach from the MAAC.

Oregon- Had candidates out on campus this past week. No offer extended from what I understand. Might be bringing more out. Seem to want someone that has head coaching experience.

OSU- toughest one to crack. I heard they have called everyone that usually gets these calls. Interviewing in the next two weeks. Looking at a well respected coach from the ACC assistant ranks and a two head coaches. People say that it’s been a tough sell with how the coaching change has gone down.
The OSU tough sell doesn't make sense...Bokker underperformed period. There is nothing to not sell in recruiting talks, BIG10, Power 5, you name it. Coaches aren't approaching this one timidly.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:59 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:07 pm First weekend on the summer circuit watching my oldest play at LLL and caught with friends from the industry. Seems like the following is the current lowdown on open positions. Totally unconfirmed so I’m not going to mention names except for one that said no but might show how much outside the box one group is thinking.

The OSU tough sell doesn't make sense...Bokker underperformed period. There is nothing to not sell in recruiting talks, BIG10, Power 5, you name it. Coaches aren't approaching this one timidly.
Yeah. Her record at OSU was 23-32. Not sure what issue any coaches would have with how the coaching change went down. She had 4 years to get it turned around.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

kidsgame wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:30 pm I wonder if the Patriot League assistant is one of the Colgate assistants abandoning ship?
I have no info on this. But their lead assistant Jessica Becker is VERY well regarded in the college lax world. Lots of girls (including one of my daughters) love her.

If not this job, she will get a head coach job soon.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

PhanLax99 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:48 am Oregon and Brown have their coach and should be announced soon. Oregon hired an associate head coach who is a really good fit for a program that is unique in many ways. Brown hired an assistant with head coaching experience, definitely a home run hire in my opinion. The Ivy is starting to become very interesting with this coach coming into the fold.
Interesting to see who Brown gets.

Brown (along with Columbia) are massively underresourced compared to the rest of their Ivy League competitors. (Facilities, # of recruiting slots, overall budget).

Probably the hardest Ivy League job. (Columbia is probably resourced less, but has ZERO expectations).
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:29 am
Interesting to see who Brown gets.

Brown (along with Columbia) are massively underresourced compared to the rest of their Ivy League competitors. (Facilities, # of recruiting slots, overall budget).

Probably the hardest Ivy League job. (Columbia is probably resourced less, but has ZERO expectations).
Not sure about Columbia ... but $25M is not peanuts:

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/vide ... e-facility

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”