New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:56 pm A quick look into Athletes Unlimited could also help. Founder's background, funding, partnerships with other brands, etc. People involved with Athletes Unlimited are clearly seeing the value in it (not just wlax, but in softball and volleyball too), so maybe they're seeing something or know something we don't?

I am going to use my background as a small business owner and a Business Major in college for this. Not to sound redundant, but how did AU do the research to identify their target market and audience? My business revolves around Female Athletes, so I would like to think I know what's going on. Has anyone attended any of the Summer Club Circuit and heard a lot of chatter about AU Pro Lacrosse? See any players trading or flipping Lacrosse Picture cards? Any talk like this, "Dude, did you see that sick move by Michelle Tumolo last night? That B***h is ridiculous and too hype." Anyone hear any of that? Do you think AU has heard this kind of talk.

You have to identify and know your market. Who is the AU Pro Women's Lacrosse market?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:09 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:56 pm A quick look into Athletes Unlimited could also help. Founder's background, funding, partnerships with other brands, etc. People involved with Athletes Unlimited are clearly seeing the value in it (not just wlax, but in softball and volleyball too), so maybe they're seeing something or know something we don't?

I am going to use my background as a small business owner and a Business Major in college for this. Not to sound redundant, but how did AU do the research to identify their target market and audience? My business revolves around Female Athletes, so I would like to think I know what's going on. Has anyone attended any of the Summer Club Circuit and heard a lot of chatter about AU Pro Lacrosse? See any players trading or flipping Lacrosse Picture cards? Any talk like this, "Dude, did you see that sick move by Michelle Tumolo last night? That B***h is ridiculous and too hype." Anyone hear any of that? Do you think AU has heard this kind of talk.

You have to identify and know your market. Who is the AU Pro Women's Lacrosse market?
It doesn't really say too much about the actual research that was done. I've also been involved in running a small business in youth & high school sports for the past 6 years. But the information on the website I was talking about was the origin story that's posted on their website. It seems like all of Athletes Unlimited is a radically different take on how professional sports have traditionally been structured. While all the nice warm fuzzy stuff, like the mission statement & the values sound really nice, at the end of the day it needs to be profitable & sustainable. I don't really have an answer for you, but I was suggesting people check out that info and it might shed some light on why the league is structured the way it is and why certain decisions are made.
DMac

Post by DMac »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:21 pm DMac wrote the following :

"After I watched the first WPLL game my comment was, please bring this game to the college ranks, it's just fantastic. It didn't take long for college wlax to adopt many of the rules from that league, so you should be thankful for these gimmick leagues and exhibition games as it's very likely you wouldn't be watching what you're watching today were it not for them."

I think I'm fairly knowledgeable about the rules of the sport(both sides), but maybe I missed something. Explain and tell us about Women's College Lacrosse and how they adopted "many of the rules" from the WPLL.
You can state that in a post, but I would like for you to tell me where I can see that clear path.
Never once have you ever heard me claim to be an authority on the rules of wlax, quite the opposite actually.
You going to tell me that the wlax you watch college girls play today isn't much closer to what you saw when
the WPLL introduced us to their version of the game? Possession clock, play on, kicking the ball, 3v3 on the draw?
Someone just woke up one day and said let's start playing this way in the college wlax game? Why the changes, where did they come from? You bet the WPLL had a big influence on the game we see the college wlaxers playing today. If that path isn't clear to you, I can't help you with it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

So what are you saying here, the girls should put their sticks down after the last game they play in college and it's just idiotic for someone to give pro wlax a shot/chance?
Regarding your other comments, I'm one of the guys who said that kind of stuff and a guy who watched this league win over a fan who never liked wlax even one little tiny bit before. To answer your question, yes, AU did hear this kind of talk if they read any of the comments in the section one could comment on in their YouTube broadcasts, and I highly doubt I was the only one making such comments.
For one who espouses the promoting of women's sports you certainly aren't doing a very good job of that here, from insinuating (if not accusing) that players are put in positions because of color, to every reason in the world why a pro wlax league just isn't marketable. There are, on the other hand, people like me who see it as nothing ventured nothing gained and that there is some good that is going to come from it. I'll be watching every game next year if both the league and I are still around...oh, I'll be encouraging others to tune in too rather than telling them it's a bullschidt league which is never going to make it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:23 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:21 pm DMac wrote the following :

"After I watched the first WPLL game my comment was, please bring this game to the college ranks, it's just fantastic. It didn't take long for college wlax to adopt many of the rules from that league, so you should be thankful for these gimmick leagues and exhibition games as it's very likely you wouldn't be watching what you're watching today were it not for them."

I think I'm fairly knowledgeable about the rules of the sport(both sides), but maybe I missed something. Explain and tell us about Women's College Lacrosse and how they adopted "many of the rules" from the WPLL.
You can state that in a post, but I would like for you to tell me where I can see that clear path.
Never once have you ever heard me claim to be an authority on the rules of wlax, quite the opposite actually.
You going to tell me that the wlax you watch college girls play today isn't much closer to what you saw when
the WPLL introduced us to their version of the game? Possession clock, play on, kicking the ball, 3v3 on the draw?
Someone just woke up one day and said let's start playing this way in the college wlax game? Why the changes, where did they come from? You bet the WPLL had a big influence on the game we see the college wlaxers playing today. If that path isn't clear to you, I can't help you with it.
To be chronologically accurate, all the rule changes you list were enacted on or before the 2018 season in the NCAA. The WPLL began play later that year and borrowed heavily from those same changes.

*edit— changed “most of” to “all”
*2nd edit - added "on or before" in place of "for"
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Actually yes, I have heard a lot of girls talking about the AU games. Many of the AU players coach in college, HS or club and many of the girls have been excited to watch their coaches play. The AU players have been promoted a ton by their college programs on social media, both the schools they played for and the schools they currently coach. Your level of disdain for a league promoting female athletes when your livelihood revolves around female athletes is quite astonishing. I for one found the level of play to be fantastic. The games were exciting and high paced and were intentionally designed to not last for hours. Of course there are some tweaks they can and should make to the rules, but all in all I found it to be highly entertaining. I for one never expected that I'd find myself watching the AU games when there were PLL games on at the same time. The stick skill level involved in women's lacrosse and the off ball movement is far superior to the men's game. And this is coming from someone that started playing lacrosse in 2nd grade way back when and never even watched women's lacrosse until I had a daughter that started playing. Sadly, female professional sports always struggle to be financially viable domestically. This has happened in many other sports. The WNBA only exists because they are bankrolled by the NBA. Most of their top players go play overseas in the offseason to actually make decent money. Soccer and hockey have both really struggled to succeed on a professional level in North America. Luckily for those athletes those sports are more lucrative overseas as well. That doesn't exist for lacrosse and I applaud AU for trying to provide these amazing women a chance to continue to play and showcase their skills to a large audience. Many of these women are amazing roll models for my daughter and everyone else's, including the young women that train with you.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:45 pm

There are, on the other hand, people like me who see it as nothing ventured nothing gained and that there is some good that is going to come from it. I'll be watching every game next year if both the league and I are still around...oh, I'll be encouraging others to tune in too rather than telling them it's a bullschidt league which is never going to make it.
And I am also one of those people. We really are lucky Athletes Unlimited took a chance on pro womens lacrosse and so many extremely talented athletes signed with them. I have been and will continue spreading the word about this amazing league and I hope it lasts a while.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Not that Larry needs any defending from me, (in fact there’s a good chance he resents it), but I don’t think he’s down on pro women’s lacrosse as much as he is realistic about it. As I mentioned earlier, I have come around to seeing things Larry’s way when it comes to women’s lacrosse on a professional level. Until they can get it right and it has staying power, I’d rather not see any more flash in the pan leagues.
DMac

Post by DMac »

As to the chronology of rule(s) changes, this is not to suggest that the games I watched in the WPLL were played by the same rules as the games I watched the college gals play, right? I was every bit as fired up about the WPLL and play I saw as I am with the gimmicky AU League, it was a different game. Kinda made an anachronism of the more popular game but the times they did change. The WPLL unquestionably influenced the college wlax game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:20 pm As to the chronology of rule(s) changes, this is not to suggest that the games I watched in the WPLL were played by the same rules as the games I watched the college gals play, right?
Correct, but this was mainly what I was referring to:
DMac wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:23 pm Never once have you ever heard me claim to be an authority on the rules of wlax, quite the opposite actually.
If I understand what you're saying, (and I leave plenty of room for the possibility that I don't), “possession clock, play on, kicking the ball, 3v3 on the draw” came from the WPLL. Do I have that right? Am I wording it correctly? If not, how would you word it?
DMac wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:20 pm The WPLL unquestionably influenced the college wlax game.
I'm curious as to how, if the NCAA had the rule changes before the WPLL was formed.

On another note, did you watch any of the UWLX games when that league was still alive?
DMac

Post by DMac »

A much more fast game, much more energetic, much more fun game to watch.
Yes, this is what I saw when I watched the WPLL.

Yes, I had who instituted the new rules first wrong,
tweaked by the WPLL. This was a different game than
we had seen before hence my saying I hope this game
is adopted by the college wlaxers.....and this league/
these girls did take wlax to another level.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wp ... ORM=WRVORC
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

I have no idea how slow/fast the rule changing process works in the NCAA, but UWLX in 2016 introduced the shot clock, the play on, and the self restarts.

I think part of where its important to have a womens lacrosse league is that even as they fail, they set a bar, and the future leagues grow on that foundation. I did a lot of work for UWLX those first 2 years. We were running those live streams for probably less than $150 total. Almost all the video content that came out of that league for the first 2 years came from me for 0 dollars total of pay and a lot of miles on my car. I think those players at the time were lucky if they got $50/game. I worked for that league knowing it wasnt going to be the league that lasted. But now, 5 years later, the product that AU put out, the one thats on FS1 and CBS Sports, 6+(?) cameras, including in each goal mouth, players micd during the game, in game interviews, etc. Thats progress. AU might fail. It might evolve. But its making progress.

Also, not that its a rule, or translated to the college game, but UWLX was also ahead of the curve in interviewing players in game. We didnt have the technology/budget to do interviews with players the way the PLL/AU does, but we were doing live interviews with players as they were subbed off the field on instagram. We had Liz Hogan live streaming games on instagram from the middle of the field. There was a lot wrong with UWLX, but they did a lot right to push the game and the idea of professional womens lacrosse forward.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, my old and rarely seen friend appears and completely clears the picture (for me).
What I had wrong was WPLL, it was the UWLX I was watching and flipping out about and I think aubartolomei would attest to that flipping out part. He/She helped me out a lot with finding games and links for streaming. They did indeed do a good job and the lacrosse was just outstanding. THIS is the game the rule changes came from, my bad on the WPLL but the rule changes came from the pros first.
aubartolomei wrote
I think part of where its important to have a womens lacrosse league is that even as they fail, they set a bar, and the future leagues grow on that foundation.
^^This^^
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

Haha, still here, still reading along, just very rarely sign in to make comments, but I had to login to defend you on the timeline of the rule changes. I'm glad you still remember me. And yes, I remember your fondness for those first pro games. One of the UWLX founders who wasnt a lacrosse person by trade told me she couldnt understand womens lacrosse because it was too much like freeze tag, and she wanted to change that.

I'm removed from working with lacrosse in my day to day life, but still a fan. I watched as many of the AU games as I could. I enjoyed them mostly. I see both arguments of wanting teams and therefore these were just glorified exhibitions versus people dont follow teams, they just follow players. I think the latter is what AU is counting on. I believe it is the AU model across all their sports to play all the games in one singular location, which is tough from a ticket/attendance perspective, but you have to believe for better or worse, AU is betting against in-person attendance being the key to a successful league.

I think AU is tough because if you miss one game or weekend, you basically cant be the ultimate champion. And its pretty quickly clear that 80%+ (90%?) of the league has no shot to be the ultimate champion, and thats not how we've been groomed to traditionally watch sports. I didnt watch because I cared about who was winning and who was losing (though I do love TC and I'm glad she got the W), I was watching because it was for the most part, really great lacrosse. And introduced me to some really talented players who I had never watched before (pardon my ignorance, but that was the first time I'd watched kady glynn, and damn...)

I appreciate DMac's passion for it, and his advocacy for it. For every time he introduces a new fan to the game, and can talk it up, thats another person invested in the growth of the sport. I'll be watching games and people in my life ask what I'm watching and are like, woah I didnt even know that existed. Visibility is a good thing.

(oh also, I appreciate the / for not knowing. He is the correct pronoun for your future use)
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

aubartolomei wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:24 pm I think AU is tough because if you miss one game or weekend, you basically cant be the ultimate champion. And its pretty quickly clear that 80%+ (90%?) of the league has no shot to be the ultimate champion, and thats not how we've been groomed to traditionally watch sports. I didnt watch because I cared about who was winning and who was losing (though I do love TC and I'm glad she got the W), I was watching because it was for the most part, really great lacrosse. And introduced me to some really talented players who I had never watched before (pardon my ignorance, but that was the first time I'd watched kady glynn, and damn...)
+1000. As has been said many times, I could do without the points but that is definitely a huge point of emphasis for AU. I’d also never seen Glynn before, she’s great!!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote the following :
"You going to tell me that the wlax you watch college girls play today isn't much closer to what you saw when
Someone just woke up one day and said let's start playing this way in the college wlax game? Why the changes, where did they come from? You bet the WPLL had a big influence on the game we see the college wlaxers playing today. If that path isn't clear to you, I can't help you with it."

The path wasn't clear and you were correct in stating that you couldn't help me...so I did it myself. I was fairly sure about how rules are implemented in Women's Lax, but a little research made it Crystal clear.

To the point...WPLL, established in Feb. 2018 and played in June of 2018. They closed operations in August of 2020.
The following rules changes...Possession(or Shot Clock), Play-On, 3v3 Draw, Kicking Ball during groundballs and scrums...were passed by the rules committee in 2015 and implemented in 2017. The WPLL had NOTHING to do with the changes that came to the sport...NOTHING, NADA, ZERO!

Now I am going to address your most incendiary and insulting comment, and it might get me suspended...but so be it.
DMac wrote this gem : "For one who espouses the promoting of women's sports you certainly aren't doing a very good job of that here, from insinuating (if not accusing) that players are put in positions because of color, to every reason in the world why a pro wlax league just isn't marketable.

You want to question my commitment to Women's athletics, you better go get some help because you alone ain't going to be enough. That's your opinion, okay. You want to challenge me about my view on the viability of a Women's Pro Lacrosse League? No problem, because again that's your opinion.
YOU ARE IN NO POSITION TO CHALLENGE ME about what I said about race and this sport!! I didn't make that stuff up. I could reel off story after story about how it was when I first got involved and how it is now. Like I know that one of the AU Pro Lacrosse players dropped the N word a few years ago and now she is celebrated on the field. I had to grit my freakin teeth every time she scored because she NEVER paid the price for her transgression. I guess AU must have closed their eyes on this one when it came to that Mission Statement.
I have had more great experiences in this sport than bad, HOWEVER, I am not going to act like all has been great. I'm not going to pull the Sgt Schultz routine("I sawww Nothing, I heard Nothing) when I have a chance and a duty to speak out. You don't like it? Then put me on your Foe list and you don't have to read my Black thoughts.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Mystery Solved!

So it was the UWLX. Still so much on the web about them. Tons of highlights on their YouTube page. Tons of pics and highlights on their Instagram page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Wo ... sse_League

https://www.instagram.com/unitedwlax/?hl=en

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZEXpe ... mlZ2D_wABQ

OuttaNowhereWregget

WOW! A scorcher!

DMac

Post by DMac »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:25 am DMac wrote the following :
"You going to tell me that the wlax you watch college girls play today isn't much closer to what you saw when
Someone just woke up one day and said let's start playing this way in the college wlax game? Why the changes, where did they come from? You bet the WPLL had a big influence on the game we see the college wlaxers playing today. If that path isn't clear to you, I can't help you with it."

The path wasn't clear and you were correct in stating that you couldn't help me...so I did it myself. I was fairly sure about how rules are implemented in Women's Lax, but a little research made it Crystal clear.

To the point...WPLL, established in Feb. 2018 and played in June of 2018. They closed operations in August of 2020.
The following rules changes...Possession(or Shot Clock), Play-On, 3v3 Draw, Kicking Ball during groundballs and scrums...were passed by the rules committee in 2015 and implemented in 2017. The WPLL had NOTHING to do with the changes that came to the sport...NOTHING, NADA, ZERO!
You posted this nearly six hours after aubartolomei's post and my recognizing and acknowledging that I was wrong about the WPLL being the league the new college rules came from so there was no need for the research or the NOTHING, NADA, ZERO. What I was right about is that the rule(s) changes came from pro women's lacrosse albeit the UWLX and not the WPLL. I clearly stated "my bad" as I was confused about what league the changes had come from. Truth be told I had kind of forgotten about the UWLX, what I hadn't forgotten though was the game I saw played by this league and my commenting at the time that I hope college wlax adopts these rules and plays this kind of wlax...and they pretty much have. So there, that's all cleared up now.

Now I am going to address your most incendiary and insulting comment, and it might get me suspended...but so be it.
DMac wrote this gem : "For one who espouses the promoting of women's sports you certainly aren't doing a very good job of that here, from insinuating (if not accusing) that players are put in positions because of color, to every reason in the world why a pro wlax league just isn't marketable.

You want to question my commitment to Women's athletics, you better go get some help because you alone ain't going to be enough. That's your opinion, okay. You want to challenge me about my view on the viability of a Women's Pro Lacrosse League? No problem, because again that's your opinion.
Not I, or anyone else, has ever questioned your commitment to women's athletics. What you clearly see in what you quoted from my post is that I said you certainly aren't doing a very good job of that here and you're not. Your first post about AU pro wlax, "Women's Pro Lacrosse...Dead Man Walking" (btw, a feminist might not like the way you worded that...jus' sayin'). You hiring a promoter of women's athletics with that kind of attitude/message about a venture into pro wlax? I'm not. Oh, and I don't need any help, I'm a big boy who can fight his own battles.
YOU ARE IN NO POSITION TO CHALLENGE ME about what I said about race and this sport!! Oh, but I am. You cried wolf in Wood's case and questioned why she was playing where she was and suggested it was because of her color. I said at the time that I'd like to think she plays at the position she does because that's what she's best at and can most help a team from there. Turns out I was dead nuts right (this gal is not an O player...no doubt good enough to be in HS but not at this level), her color had nothing to do with where she was playing. NOTHING, NADA, ZERO. I didn't make that stuff up. I could reel off story after story about how it was when I first got involved and how it is now. Like I know that one of the AU Pro Lacrosse players dropped the N word a few years ago and now she is celebrated on the field. I had to grit my freakin teeth every time she scored because she NEVER paid the price for her transgression. I guess AU must have closed their eyes on this one when it came to that Mission Statement.
I have had more great experiences in this sport than bad, HOWEVER, I am not going to act like all has been great. I'm not going to pull the Sgt Schultz routine("I sawww Nothing, I heard Nothing) when I have a chance and a duty to speak out. You don't like it? Then put me on your Foe list and you don't have to read my Black thoughts.
Been around this game since the early '60s, was one of the unwashed masses who infiltrated the rich, elitist, white boy's game. You think I didn't experience the unwelcoming attitude of that crowd and their seeing themselves as the special chosen ones, you've got another guess coming. While we might have a long way to go with our racism issues in this country, I do believe we're heading in the right direction and making great strides (I lived through the 60s...and not as an infant...I've seen great progress and so have you). Crying wolf aint gonna help nuthin', brotha. Call it out and tell it like it is but I watched Wood play nearly every minute of every game, was blown away by her and have no question about whether or not her color had anything to do with where she was playing. I found your comment to be antagonistic and intentionally looking to stir up a little controversy. I guess it worked but that's not to say I don't see it as being out of line.
Aint no reason for any suspensions here...no flags gonna be thrown, no reason for it. Please, spare me the Foe list and Black thoughts thing, you know me much better than that.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

aubartolomei wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:24 pm Haha, still here, still reading along, just very rarely sign in to make comments, but I had to login to defend you on the timeline of the rule changes. I'm glad you still remember me. And yes, I remember your fondness for those first pro games. One of the UWLX founders who wasnt a lacrosse person by trade told me she couldnt understand womens lacrosse because it was too much like freeze tag, and she wanted to change that.

I'm removed from working with lacrosse in my day to day life, but still a fan. I watched as many of the AU games as I could. I enjoyed them mostly. I see both arguments of wanting teams and therefore these were just glorified exhibitions versus people dont follow teams, they just follow players. I think the latter is what AU is counting on. I believe it is the AU model across all their sports to play all the games in one singular location, which is tough from a ticket/attendance perspective, but you have to believe for better or worse, AU is betting against in-person attendance being the key to a successful league.

I think AU is tough because if you miss one game or weekend, you basically cant be the ultimate champion. And its pretty quickly clear that 80%+ (90%?) of the league has no shot to be the ultimate champion, and thats not how we've been groomed to traditionally watch sports. I didnt watch because I cared about who was winning and who was losing (though I do love TC and I'm glad she got the W), I was watching because it was for the most part, really great lacrosse. And introduced me to some really talented players who I had never watched before (pardon my ignorance, but that was the first time I'd watched kady glynn, and damn...)

I appreciate DMac's passion for it, and his advocacy for it. For every time he introduces a new fan to the game, and can talk it up, thats another person invested in the growth of the sport. I'll be watching games and people in my life ask what I'm watching and are like, woah I didnt even know that existed. Visibility is a good thing.

(oh also, I appreciate the / for not knowing. He is the correct pronoun for your future use)

I can tell you that you are giving the UWLX credit that it shouldn't be getting. Those rule changes were being discussed before the UWLX came, but the process of change in Women's Lacrosse has always been slow.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”