Re: Rutgers 2021

Post by lagerhead »

AOD wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:31 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:30 pm
AOD wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:28 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm
AOD wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:49 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:05 pm No one with any real wealth says that. No one. So I won't. Btw, people with real wealth don't get "pay checks".

So long as real "wealth" is the topic, I guess it's fair to discuss Rutgers' athletics program deficit. For the fiscal year 2020, the athletics deficit totaled $39.1 million AFTER reporting as revenue an internal loan of $20 million. The balance of the internal loans is $140.3 million at the close of fiscal 2020. The budget deficit has grown so large that the university no longer books all the deficit funding as loans. It just accepts a loss of $10.6 million for the last year reported. And that is AFTER $12 million in generalized university support, nearly $13 million in student fees and another $4 million received from the very generous taxpayers of NJ. Athletics at Rutgers are the economic leach that limits research funding, that limits merit aid and that limits much needed campus infrastructure.

And this isn't something new. In the last 15 years, Rutgers athletics have run a deficit of nearly a half billion dollars with more than a quarter billion occurring on Barchi's watch.

Wealth? Not at Rutgers.
The department will be fully self funded by 2026. Come back then.
And that's been their lament for the last 20 years - kicking the can down the road with false promises of riches. They previously promised to be self-funded by 2021. Now, they need an advance on their BIG10 royalties just to make ends meet. They won't receive a full share from the BIG10 until 2027. What a joke!
Let's look at the top 20 schools for lacrosse. Which one's do you think are turning a profit?

Being self funded is a huge accomplishment when it happens. What will you cry about then?
Rutgers athletics will never be self funded. NEVER. Remember, they need to payback $140 million to the university before they can claim financial independence. They also need to ween themselves from the confiscation of student fees. The State contribution continues to decline. Their existence is entirely dependent on the munificence of the school's administrators and board.

And frankly, the school's failure to instill any financial discipline on the athletic department is having an effect on grass roots fundraising.
Rutgers using the same accounting principles as state of NJ, pass the buck. Neither entity is going to climb out of the abyss. I live here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lagerhead wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:34 pm
AOD wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:31 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:30 pm
AOD wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:28 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm
AOD wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:49 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:05 pm No one with any real wealth says that. No one. So I won't. Btw, people with real wealth don't get "pay checks".

So long as real "wealth" is the topic, I guess it's fair to discuss Rutgers' athletics program deficit. For the fiscal year 2020, the athletics deficit totaled $39.1 million AFTER reporting as revenue an internal loan of $20 million. The balance of the internal loans is $140.3 million at the close of fiscal 2020. The budget deficit has grown so large that the university no longer books all the deficit funding as loans. It just accepts a loss of $10.6 million for the last year reported. And that is AFTER $12 million in generalized university support, nearly $13 million in student fees and another $4 million received from the very generous taxpayers of NJ. Athletics at Rutgers are the economic leach that limits research funding, that limits merit aid and that limits much needed campus infrastructure.

And this isn't something new. In the last 15 years, Rutgers athletics have run a deficit of nearly a half billion dollars with more than a quarter billion occurring on Barchi's watch.

Wealth? Not at Rutgers.
The department will be fully self funded by 2026. Come back then.
And that's been their lament for the last 20 years - kicking the can down the road with false promises of riches. They previously promised to be self-funded by 2021. Now, they need an advance on their BIG10 royalties just to make ends meet. They won't receive a full share from the BIG10 until 2027. What a joke!
Let's look at the top 20 schools for lacrosse. Which one's do you think are turning a profit?

Being self funded is a huge accomplishment when it happens. What will you cry about then?
Rutgers athletics will never be self funded. NEVER. Remember, they need to payback $140 million to the university before they can claim financial independence. They also need to ween themselves from the confiscation of student fees. The State contribution continues to decline. Their existence is entirely dependent on the munificence of the school's administrators and board.

And frankly, the school's failure to instill any financial discipline on the athletic department is having an effect on grass roots fundraising.
Rutgers using the same accounting principles as state of NJ, pass the buck. Neither entity is going to climb out of the abyss. I live here.
Taxation without representation. Love those jug handles, Xanadu and the related billion dollars that went into the swamp behind Rutherford with no accounting for it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So Kirst is back in goal

Xanders twitter
Breaking: @RUmlax goalie Colin Kirst has received a waiver granting him eligibility in 2022, multiple sources told @Inside_Lacrosse. The 3rd Team All-American headlines a transfer-heavy Rutgers squad that was the subject of a @mattkinnear feature today:
bananas

Post by bananas »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:57 pm So Kirst is back in goal

Xanders twitter
Breaking: @RUmlax goalie Colin Kirst has received a waiver granting him eligibility in 2022, multiple sources told @Inside_Lacrosse. The 3rd Team All-American headlines a transfer-heavy Rutgers squad that was the subject of a @mattkinnear feature today:
Rutgers thread can now get back to discussing RU lax 2022.

Knights have arguably the best goalie duo in college game. BB did a good job in offseason and this is icing on the cake. Knights gonna be a very good team again.
bananas

Post by bananas »

1766 had been hinting at this. Cheers !!!!!!
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

I am really enjoying all the attention Rutgers is now getting for their lacrosse team on fanlax. Before the transfer portal expanded and Rutgers took advantage of it, Rutgers recruiting was limited to finding the under recruited diamonds. This was due to the negative recruiting against Rutgers by all the traditional power teams. And RU lucked out getting the kirst brothers due to their desire to come home and play for their state school and because their deceased dad played at RU. Fanlax is full of people proclaiming the negatives of recruiting from the transfer portal, almost as if it is like cheating. Now, Rutgers has found the way to attract the top players who would never have considered Rutgers in the past. By the way, this is happening in football and basketball in the same way at RU. As these transfers, predominantly New Jerseyans, thrive here, rutgers will get the attention of NJ high school ballers. Watch out lacrosse world. Rutgers is a budding power.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

bananas wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Xanders twitter

Knights have arguably the best goalie duo in college game. BB did a good job in offseason and this is icing on the cake. Knights gonna be a very good team again.
Maybe someone can open up a new RU 2022 thread so we can put this one to bed...
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

RURICK wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:17 am I am really enjoying all the attention Rutgers is now getting for their lacrosse team on fanlax. Before the transfer portal expanded and Rutgers took advantage of it, Rutgers recruiting was limited to finding the under recruited diamonds. This was due to the negative recruiting against Rutgers by all the traditional power teams. And RU lucked out getting the kirst brothers due to their desire to come home and play for their state school and because their deceased dad played at RU. Fanlax is full of people proclaiming the negatives of recruiting from the transfer portal, almost as if it is like cheating. Now, Rutgers has found the way to attract the top players who would never have considered Rutgers in the past. By the way, this is happening in football and basketball in the same way at RU. As these transfers, predominantly New Jerseyans, thrive here, rutgers will get the attention of NJ high school ballers. Watch out lacrosse world. Rutgers is a budding power.
There is nothing wrong with filling needs and getting better via the portal...should never be viewed as negative. All the top schools (ACC, B1G, and Big East are doing it)...Are there some side effects or challenges that come with it...sure. Roster continuity will always be a good thing...attrition happens, some good and some bad. In the end, as much as we don't want to say it, even non revenue sports are a business...coaches at this level have to win, are trying to win, and they will try to find the best talent they can.

I think the covid year has thrown off recruiting, grad years and has tilted portal activity...I think it will be this way for a couple more years and then it will find a more "calm" level...it's not going away, but the Ivy's not playing last year, the covid year, threw things off...I think the action will level off a bit in 2-3 years...just my take

Good article on Rutgers in IL yesterday about portal use...we will see how it goes this year. With Kirst (goalie) coming back, a very experienced defense (led by Russo and Felix) an excellent rope unit (led by Kamish and Rall)...they have a strong back end and middle of the field (Sprock, Knobloch)...the challenge is replacing all that scoring...not gonna be easy. We will see...lots to work with, but still lots of needs to address...
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Agree on all your comments.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

Xanders twitter
:o :o

Post by 1766 »

bananas wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:29 pm 1766 had been hinting at this. Cheers !!!!!!
Indeed. Congratulations to Rutgers and Colin and the Kirst family. Expectations are high On the Banks and the competition is going to be fierce!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 am

Xanders twitter

please don't. just have gymman change the thread title.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Xanders twitter

You’re just anti Rutgers, stupid and a hater!
bananas

Post by bananas »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Xanders twitter

Rutgers needs to get Hobart back on regular season schedule Lopsided scrimmage wins dont count..
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Xanders twitter

You’re just anti Rutgers, stupid
and a hater!
as this is a swan song, honestly, i really like the enthusiasm here.

also not going to rival the hop thread in volume but in content per mile, yes.

anyone in the know, i am interested in how the waiver came about (for 2022 thread). what i've followed, the nc$$ is loathe to set precedent. most especially in non-revenue sports. covid is cover and the last 1 1/2 years have been more cray than the 2013? reshuffling by nuclear bombs to cornflakes... but i'd be interested.

bullish on rutgers 2022 thread, too.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bananas wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Xanders twitter

Rutgers needs to get Hobart back on regular season schedule Lopsided scrimmage wins dont count..
These things don’t bother me. 200yr old institution closer to the creators game than most will ever be not allowed by the ncaa to provide scholarships and d3 in all other sports with no state subsidies for the constant failures. Hobart is a champion of the game. Some say have more success but are just hanging around the hoop due to real estate or someone else’s money.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bananas wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Xanders twitter

Your boy Amuroso must really suck like all the other NJ kids on the team or recruits. Collin Rover and Sheamus Schoefield are garbage. Delbartons Sean Donnelly was trash. I can go on and on they way some NJ folks talk. Matt Pedicine really sucked and could never have played on a Rutgers team.

Post by 1766 »

Rutgers will keep tabs on em. Maybe they can transfer if they perform well enough.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Your boy Amuroso must really suck like all the other NJ kids on the team or recruits. Collin Rover and Sheamus Schoefield are garbage. Delbartons Sean Donnelly was trash. I can go on and on they way some NJ folks talk. Matt Pedicine really sucked and could never have played on a Rutgers team.
[/quote]

I have to concede up front I don’t know who these young men are, or anything about them or their lacrosse careers.

But calling them out by name, and making those kind of comments about a group of teenagers (very young 20-somethings at most) that you’ve likely never met … Wow. Just wow.

Very classy indeed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1766 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:19 pm Rutgers will keep tabs on em. Maybe they can transfer if they perform well enough.
The last four chose Osu OSU MD and Del. Two last year were injured for part of the season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”