Big Ten 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Big Ten 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

D1 MEN: The second half of the B1G season has been added by the B1G.

https://fanlax.com/2021/03/11/d1-men-b1g-games-added/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Predictions?

Hopkins vs Penn St
Ohio St vs Michigan
Maryland vs Rutgers

Gonna go...PSU 12-10, OSU 15-8, and Maryland 14-13.

Fun notes: 4 of the 5 regular season games between Maryland and Rutgers have been 1-goal games. Of the top 6 scorers in the league, Rutgers and Maryland each have 3. Rutgers is first in the conference in goals per game; Maryland is second. Maryland allows the fewest goals per game; Rutgers allows the second fewest.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Wheels wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:56 am Predictions?

Hopkins vs Penn St
Ohio St vs Michigan
Maryland vs Rutgers

Gonna go...PSU 12-10, OSU 15-8, and Maryland 14-13.

Fun notes: 4 of the 5 regular season games between Maryland and Rutgers have been 1-goal games. Of the top 6 scorers in the league, Rutgers and Maryland each have 3. Rutgers is first in the conference in goals per game; Maryland is second. Maryland allows the fewest goals per game; Rutgers allows the second fewest.
Agree with OSU v Michigan :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hmmaybe it's fair to ask "Can Tambroni coach a PSU team without Ament in it?" In what should have been Ament's junior year, 2018, with #1 G.A. out injured PSU didn't make the NCAAs or the Big 10 tourney. Okay, to be fair, in 2013 Penn State made the NCAAs as a member of the CAA, but got knocked out in the first round by a pre-Reeves Yale. It's early in the season, yes, but 1-3 is not nearly where this Nittany Lions team --highly-ranked in the pre-season-- was expected to be now. Kudos to JHU for a convincing win today. In my opinion, the Blue Jays have the better ex-Cornell head coach.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pm Hmmaybe it's fair to ask "Can Tambroni coach a PSU team without Ament in it?" In what should have been Ament's junior year, 2018, with #1 G.A. out injured PSU didn't make the NCAAs or the Big 10 tourney. Okay, to be fair, in 2013 Penn State made the NCAAs as a member of the CAA, but got knocked out in the first round by a pre-Reeves Yale. It's early in the season, yes, but 1-3 is not nearly where this Nittany Lions team --highly-ranked in the pre-season-- was expected to be now. Kudos to JHU for a convincing win today. In my opinion, the Blue Jays have the better ex-Cornell head coach.
They were clearly over ranked in the preseason. I don’t think there’s any question they haven’t been as good as they should be or as people expected but some of the preseason rankings having them in the Top 5 or whatever was insane. Replacing Ament was always going to be a Herculean task; especially in this year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ever watch Tambroni’s Cornell teams?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:01 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pm Hmmaybe it's fair to ask "Can Tambroni coach a PSU team without Ament in it?" In what should have been Ament's junior year, 2018, with #1 G.A. out injured PSU didn't make the NCAAs or the Big 10 tourney. Okay, to be fair, in 2013 Penn State made the NCAAs as a member of the CAA, but got knocked out in the first round by a pre-Reeves Yale. It's early in the season, yes, but 1-3 is not nearly where this Nittany Lions team --highly-ranked in the pre-season-- was expected to be now. Kudos to JHU for a convincing win today. In my opinion, the Blue Jays have the better ex-Cornell head coach.
They were clearly over ranked in the preseason. I don’t think there’s any question they haven’t been as good as they should be or as people expected but some of the preseason rankings having them in the Top 5 or whatever was insane. Replacing Ament was always going to be a Herculean task; especially in this year.
... after losing the Brennan O’Neill sweepstakes.

Tambroni is just fine, for Penn State.
The Final Four, Penn State’s first, bought him a lot
of cache.
PSU has had and will have a number of good
incoming classes, don’t know that there are any
Aments in those classes.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:29 pm

of cache.
Aments in those classes.
I think it’s fair to ask whether they can be an elite Final Four type program without Ament. But they recruit well and they have talented players on that roster and Tambroni knows what he’s doing. They’ll get back to the tournament in short time and be a Top 10-12 team. But will they be a #1 or Top 5 team again without Ament is a fair open question.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:03 pm Ever watch Tambroni’s Cornell teams?
Oh that 2009 final... but I was't watching nearly as much lax during his Cornell years as I have been from 2015 to present.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He had a ton of great teams going back to 03-04 really of not earlier. Wasn’t just 09. (Watch hop fans go apes**t...) got completely boned in seeding in 07 but was as good as 09 team. Even the 04 team was just short of beating Navy, maybe 5-3 in QF. Max Siebald, IMO was as good as any midfielder in the 2000s (more opportunity for Hop fans to but out and as good as Rabil was I’d rather have Harrison or Siebald). Great goalie play, some strong defenses and great team ball. I’m really surprised he hasn’t done more at PSU but early recruiting and I suspect he targeted a different type of recruit during PSU years but Tambroni was a top 5-6 coach for most of the 2000s (figure what, Tierney, Desko, Petro, Dom and then ??? he might’ve been next, did as much or more as Pressler did, Breschi and Corrigan weren’t considered better)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:40 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:29 pm

of cache.
Aments in those classes.
I think it’s fair to ask whether they can be an elite Final Four type program without Ament. But they recruit well and they have talented players on that roster and Tambroni knows what he’s doing. They’ll get back to the tournament in short time and be a Top 10-12 team. But will they be a #1 or Top 5 team again without Ament is a fair open question.
And that is the deal for this program, become a regular NCAA tournament team. Penn State has been playing
lacrosse forever, but they never got to that perennial
contender type program. Maybe Tambroni has gotten them
to that point, it looks that way.
Now Tambroni looks like he had more ambitious ideas, he
recruited O’Neill as an eighth grader and lost, I never
really saw O’Neill as Penn State player, so was surprised
that O’Neill committed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PSU is .511 win % life to date. Glenn Thiel was .559 in 32yrs with two playoff bids, .453 combine ECAC/CAA win %.

Tambroni has a been there since 2011, not sure if we count last year, but made 3 tourneys in a decade basically and has a .667 CAA/BigTen conference win % while taking over a 2-11 program that was kind of spiraling bu the end of the Thiel tenure. Urick got bounced after a what, 9-4 year and Warne had to “rebuild” the program so compare that for example.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It got a little ugly at the end, but the transition from
Thiel was fairly smooth, he left Tambroni some good
recruits, Austin Kaut was a tremendous goalie a Drexel
commit who Thiel got to commit to Penn State.
PSU might have made the NCAAs in 2014, but things
got a little ugly as the CAA shut them out of the CAA
tournament due to their commitment to starting up
the B1G, so they weren’t AQ eligible that year - which
I can’t say I was real happy with, I thought that was a
low class move by the CAA teams.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Conferences always pull that, hence Robert Morris with this brutal all road schedule this year or Hobart getting tossed from the PL.

I still think as good as Kaut was, Drew Adams was better. The ECAC was a bear mid 2000s. Hobart was still carrying some residual benefits of the 70s-mid 90s, Loyola was up and down with Dirrgl then early Toomey, UMass was top ten often with Doc, Jake Reed & Sean Morris. GTown was often top ten and regular playoff participant. Rutgers and Fairfield were solid, Rutgers died once Havilchuk left it seemed. From 2002-2007 there was at least two NCAA teams each year, 3 in 2002 & 2005 and 4 in 2003. Urick basically got fired for not making it at 9-4 (I think) in 09 with that supposed #1 class including Broncaccio.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Don't overlook the fact that Sabia graduated in 2019. PSU's defense has suffered without him. Clearly the offense has trouble winning one-on-one match-ups. They just don't seem to have too many players who can run past defenders. The JHU people understand what happens when you have smaller midfielders, and PSU has the same exact issue.
viho

Post by viho »

Take Teat away from Milkmans last season at Cornell...well, you get the point.
I prefer Tambroni's body of work at this point in time.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Pre-season rankings are problematic any year, even more so this season given the cancelled 2020 season and the lack of fall ball. PSU had two losses in the abbreviated 2020 season, so perhaps their lofty pre-season 2021 ranking was based largely on 2019.

There's plenty of time for Tambroni to prove me wrong.

With no OOC play for the Big 10, it will be interesting to see how many NCAA bids the conference gets. Gotta think that Rutgers' time has come.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

viho wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:20 am
Take Teat away from Milkmans last season at Cornell...well, you get the point.
I prefer Tambroni's body of work at this point in time.
I like a DeLuca but would argue his success was what Tambroni left behind including Parnell, who originally was going to Quinnipiac.
smoova

Post by smoova »

During the UM/OSU game, Carc remarked that the average age of Rutgers' starting attack is 24.5 years old. Is this accurate?
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

Do not know if it is accurate it I had heard they had several returning for an extra year per the pandemic.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”