Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:29 pm Ouch. I'm losing my fastball. I only know one of these girls, the one from Jersey. And she's definitely deserving. I think Terp Nation is going to like her next year.
I was hoping you'd have something to say about this Bill. Too bad the Jersey girl isn't headed to Queen's College. But the way coach Lehman has things looking, it might not be long before Rutgers is a better looking spot on the map.
Cletus

This is what sports talk is

Post by Cletus »

I know there is a mindset to keep talk about women's lacrosse on these boards genteel and polite (except if the talk veers toward a person or team that is despised for one butthurt reason or another, then all bets are off--one can gouge and slander with immunity.) But this is what sports talk has always looked and sounded like. Since I was a kid up until the present day. Sports talk about any sport, including women's lacrosse, often looks and sounds like this. Nothing outrageous or unusual about these comments or the way in which they are delivered.

All to say, I think Duke (unfortunately, because I like them), and Stony Brook (who I don’t particularly like), will both get smoked on Saturday.

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

It's regrettable, but you are right: there is nothing unusual about the boorish, profane manner in which that lout descried the Celtics or whatever it was he was talking about. And more's the pity.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:26 am It's regrettable, but you are right: there is nothing unusual about the boorish, profane manner in which that lout descried the Celtics or whatever it was he was talking about. And more's the pity.
Profane has a religious connotation.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/profane#Etymology

Mazz was talking about the Boston Celtics. I don’t get the connection, unless you were using it in a different sense.
Laxallday

Re: This is what sports talk is

Post by Laxallday »

Cletus wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:59 am I know there is a mindset to keep talk about women's lacrosse on these boards genteel and polite (except if the talk veers toward a person or team that is despised for one butthurt reason or another, then all bets are off--one can gouge and slander with immunity.) But this is what sports talk has always looked and sounded like. Since I was a kid up until the present day. Sports talk about any sport, including women's lacrosse, often looks and sounds like this. Nothing outrageous or unusual about these comments or the way in which they are delivered.

All to say, I think Duke (unfortunately, because I like them), and Stony Brook (who I don’t particularly like), will both get smoked on Saturday.

I think that Stony will play rough and keep it close for a half, but generally I agree with you on both counts. Duke has had a nice bounce back season but I think it likely ends here.
Cletus

After the Tewwy, what?

Post by Cletus »

I could piece it together from the posts on the board but I'm just curious what comes next on the D1 calendar. There's always portal news in the offseason but I wonder if there's a period when the portal is closed for a period of time. In any event, it will be a shorter off season.
Cletus

Re: This is what sports talk is

Post by Cletus »

Cletus wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:59 am
Just to follow up on this, Mazz was right. The Nets did smoke the Celts—in 5. Gentlemen’s Sweep as it is called.

My predictions? Duke, yes. Stony Brook, no.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

The one downside to being a women's lacrosse fan is the interminable offseason. And don't talk to me about Fall ball. It's not nearly the same thing. Over 8 months for an offseason I think is the longest in sports. It is a highly concentrated season however. By the time June 1st rolls around, I find I am ready for an offseason, just one not quite so long.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Cletus wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:27 pm The one downside to being a women's lacrosse fan is the interminable offseason. And don't talk to me about Fall ball. It's not nearly the same thing. Over 8 months for an offseason I think is the longest in sports. It is a highly concentrated season however. By the time June 1st rolls around, I find I am ready for an offseason, just one not quite so long.
Why would it be any longer than Men's?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:29 pm
Cletus wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:27 pm The one downside to being a women's lacrosse fan is the interminable offseason. And don't talk to me about Fall ball. It's not nearly the same thing. Over 8 months for an offseason I think is the longest in sports. It is a highly concentrated season however. By the time June 1st rolls around, I find I am ready for an offseason, just one not quite so long.
Why would it be any longer than Men's?
By a week maybe?
Cletus

Re: UNC—Already crowned?

Post by Cletus »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:58 am I don’t know folks, I just have a feeling that UNC could be upset somewhere along the line during The Tournament. Perhaps they were toughened/hardened/made ready by their disappointing loss to BC in 2019 but perhaps they still have that tendency to choke against inferior teams in the postseason. I know that’s a long way away but I can’t help but look ahead.
Not to toot my own horn or nothin, but... :lol:

DMac

Post by DMac »

You're playing the outdated tune of the couch athlete who only plays with words.
No one choked and there were no inferior teams. Someone put another dime in
the jukebox, please, this tune has gotten real old.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:26 am You're playing the outdated tune of the couch athlete who only plays with words.
Agreed. No "choke" nor "tendency to choke"... specious claim.

There were "better" teams as evidenced by their winning play on the day of the contests, but no "inferior" teams were involved.

Cletus, I think this sort of thing is what gets folks peeved.
It's gratuitously insulting. No real point other than to insult.

On season length, so what?
I think most, certainly many of us who follow the Men's side, would prefer a shorter spring season, or at least certainly starting later, actually in the spring!

I think somewhat fewer of us, but still a substantial %, would also prefer fewer midday weeknight games at the college level, esp early season in the cold. Few or no fans, unnecessary extra travel, little point to it. Some have suggested more round robin style weekends if there's a desire to play more contests in order to provide more action for the bench, but few want an actually longer season.

Not sure why the women would want different.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:16 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:26 am You're playing the outdated tune of the couch athlete who only plays with words.
Agreed. No "choke" nor "tendency to choke"... specious claim.

There were "better" teams as evidenced by their winning play on the day of the contests, but no "inferior" teams were involved.

Cletus, I think this sort of thing is what gets folks peeved.
It's gratuitously insulting. No real point other than to insult.

On season length, so what?
I think most, certainly many of us who follow the Men's side, would prefer a shorter spring season, or at least certainly starting later, actually in the spring!

I think somewhat fewer of us, but still a substantial %, would also prefer fewer midday weeknight games at the college level, esp early season in the cold. Few or no fans, unnecessary extra travel, little point to it. Some have suggested more round robin style weekends if there's a desire to play more contests in order to provide more action for the bench, but few want an actually longer season.

Not sure why the women would want different.
MD, you are catching on! I'm surprised the reggie miller video wasn't posted - that's a favorite go to move/troll
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Remarkable to consider lacrosse being played in all these different nations. 30, count 'em, 30 nations will compete for the world championship in one year. Something exciting about Israel being on the list. AND Haudenosaunee (hoe-dee-no-SHOW-nee) means “people who build a house.” The name refers to a CONFEDERATION or ALLIANCE among six Native American nations who are more commonly known as the Iroquois Confederacy. That's even more exciting as lacrosse, called The Creator's Game, originated with Native America.

Here is a very touching clip of a number of different women from all over the world announcing the event in their own language.

https://twitter.com/WorldLax2022/status ... 48546?s=20

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Okay, Cle--your time has come. Off y'go, laddie.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I'd be curious to know what percentage of the players from each of these nations are citizens of these nations.
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:14 pm I'd be curious to know what percentage of the players from each of these nations are citizens of these nations.
What would be your guess?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:30 pmWhat would be your guess?
I know on the Men's side, there are americans on these teams, players with a father or mother who was born in Argentina or whatever. I'd imagine that it's similar on the Women's side. But I don't know what the percentage of Americans is.
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:13 am Remarkable to consider lacrosse being played in all these different nations. 30, count 'em, 30 nations will compete for the world championship in one year. Something exciting about Israel being on the list. AND Haudenosaunee (hoe-dee-no-SHOW-nee) means “people who build a house.” The name refers to a CONFEDERATION or ALLIANCE among six Native American nations who are more commonly known as the Iroquois Confederacy. That's even more exciting as lacrosse, called The Creator's Game, originated with Native America.

Here is a very touching clip of a number of different women from all over the world announcing the event in their own language.

https://twitter.com/WorldLax2022/status ... 48546?s=20
Israel has had a short but eventful history and is a pretty decent team it seems.

Good wikipedia entry on the history of the team/results etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_wo ... rosse_team

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”