~~The MIAA “A” 2021~~

HS Boys Lacrosse
SkipPass

Re: ~~The MIAA “A” 2021~~

Post by SkipPass »

Lax_04 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:58 am Something odd is going on. After a 50 mile yellow school bus ride from Annapolis to Baltimore it is sometimes the HOME TEAM that then comes out flat. In 2019 it happened when SM played at St. Pauls, at Gilman, and at BL and now it has happened again at Loyola in 2021. Makes me wonder: What is going on on that bus?
Saying a team won because another team came out flat is silly. The other team was better. Excuses don’t cut it.

If I remember 2019 correctly SM beat SP away, Gilman at home, destroyed Loyola at home, beat BL away and trounced BL in the semis then went on to lose big in the finals.

SM was better than Loyola yesterday - that’s why they won.
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

SkipPass wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:36 pm
Lax_04 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:58 am Something odd is going on. After a 50 mile yellow school bus ride from Annapolis to Baltimore it is sometimes the HOME TEAM that then comes out flat. In 2019 it happened when SM played at St. Pauls, at Gilman, and at BL and now it has happened again at Loyola in 2021. Makes me wonder: What is going on on that bus?
Saying a team won because another team came out flat is silly. The other team was better. Excuses don’t cut it.

If I remember 2019 correctly SM beat SP away, Gilman at home, destroyed Loyola at home, beat BL away and trounced BL in the semis then went on to lose big in the finals.

SM was better than Loyola yesterday - that’s why they won.
We are in agreement. I was twisting around the narrative, trying to be sarcastic, and probably not in a super clear way.

I don't think bus rides matter as much as people think and they really don't matter if the home team is looking past that afternoon's game and focused only on the teams within a five mile radius of their campus.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

The bus ride excuse is a bit much. SM has and will beat teams on any given week.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:15 am The bus ride excuse is a bit much. SM has and will beat teams on any given week.
I always thought that the refs in Annapolis could be a bigger factor. ;)
That said, never saw my son's teams lose there when they took the bus ride, so no whining from me! 8-)

StM definitely has a strong team this year based on this performance.

More importantly, what makes the MIAA so much fun to watch is that these teams year in and year out have the capability to beat each other, often unpredictably.

My advice to everyone is just enjoy the ride!
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

I remember a post on here back in 2009 after SM beat the Dons on a Saturday. They blamed prom the night before. Could be. Those NDP girls were racy. I know, I married one!
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Yes, thats what makes the league great. Anyone given Tuesday or Friday. The people who poke at the league get there kicks off if they get a win over any specific team ( Pa or DC as an example).
Here the deal, in this league, this Friday we are at Gilman, next Tuesday at Severn. And, oh by the way Friday we host St Mary’s. The consistent level of competition!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Archbishop Spalding hosts McDonogh 4:00 pm
Boys' Latin hosts John Carroll 4:15 pm
Severn hosts St. Paul's 4:15 pm
Loyola Blakefield hosts Mount St. Joseph 4:30 pm
St. Mary's hosts Calvert Hall 7:00 pm

Going with McD and LB with big wins. BL, Severn and St Mary's win close ones.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Saints over Cards 7-6.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:13 pm I remember a post on here back in 2009 after SM beat the Dons on a Saturday. They blamed prom the night before. Could be. Those NDP girls were racy. I know, I married one!
Had a lot of fun with those NDP girls back in the day...never let'em get in the way of lax though. Maybe I missed out! ;)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:52 am Archbishop Spalding hosts McDonogh 4:00 pm
Boys' Latin hosts John Carroll 4:15 pm
Severn hosts St. Paul's 4:15 pm
Loyola Blakefield hosts Mount St. Joseph 4:30 pm
St. Mary's hosts Calvert Hall 7:00 pm

Going with McD and LB with big wins. BL, Severn and St Mary's win close ones.
McD, LB, BL, Severn and STM all win today.
Terps22

Post by Terps22 »

wow its been a few years since I have posted on the site.... it feels good to be back :)

My thoughts on the MIAA in general. For so long the Baltimore blue bloods seem to always forget about Saint Mary's down in Annapolis. And seriously save the bus ride excuses, traffic right now really is not that bad in a Covid year.

Outside of Calvert Hall, McDonogh, and BL the Saints have been one of the more consistent programs in the MIAA in the past 5 years however they never seem to get the respect they deserve. They won a title last in 2015 if my memory serves me right. Whenever the Saint's make is to the MIAA Semi's or even the finals (two years ago), it always viewed as a fluke or an upset. Why is that...

When was the last time Loyola Blakefield made it to the MIAA finals (Ryan Conrad era?), St. Pauls or even Gilman (Gilman seems to have been irrelevant in the MIAA since 2013). St Pauls lost to Severn yesterday, when was the last time that happened? Gilman gets rocked by Malvern Prep too (prob would have been worst if the head coaches weren't friends) For some odd reason, whether its pre-season rankings, Ty Xanders hype, the Saints are always forgotten.

Congrats to the Saints on a another signature program win last night against Calvert Hall. It's time for the Baltimore elite to start giving the Saints program the recognition they deserve as the tide is rising in Annapolis.

PS - I have no dog in the fight here and no affiliation with the Saints program.
Last edited by Terps22 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Terps22 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:02 pm wow its been a few years since I have posted on the site.... it feels good to be back :)

My thoughts on the MIAA in general. For so long the Baltimore blue bloods seem to always forget about Saint Mary's down in Annapolis. And seriously save the bus ride excuses, traffic right now really is not that bad in a Covid year.

Outside of Calvert Hall, McDonogh, and BL the Saints have been one of the more consistent programs in the MIAA in the past 5 years however they never seem to get the respect they deserve. They wont a title last in 2015 if my memory serves me right. Whenever the Saint's make is to the MIAA Semi's or even the finals (two years ago), it always viewed as fluke or an upset. Why is that..

When was the last time Loyola Blakefield made it to the MIAA finals (Ryan Conrad era?), St. Pauls or even Gilman (Gilman seems to have been irrelevant in the MIAA since 2013). St Pauls lost to Severn yesterday, when was the last time that happened? Gilman gets rocked by Malvern Prep too (prob would have been worst if the head coaches weren't friends) For some odd reason, whether its pre-season rankings, Ty Xanders hype, the Saints are always forgotten.

Congrats to the Saints on a another signature program win last night against Calvert Hall. It's time for the Baltimore elite to start giving the Saints program the recognition they deserve as the tide is rising in Annapolis.

PS - I have no dog in the fight here and no affiliation with the Saints program.
The Baltimore blue-blood programs and the Baltimore-centric lacrosse media cabal have trouble accepting a small parochial school that doesn’t play the holdback game or board kids from out of state can play quality lacrosse.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Zingo, Skip!

No fear, the B-more bluebloods will be paying more attention to AACO this spring as the Saints and Spalding bust through and become contenders.

And, lest we forget the Severn Admirals, who just knocked off St. Paul's in OT!

AACO s making a statement in 2021!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Tuesday’s matchups:

Spalding @ John Carroll
CH @ MSJ
BL @ Gilly Tech
Lb @ St P
Severn @ McD
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow! Did I hear that the MIAA Championships are going to be at Navy Stadium!?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yes. Cottle’s group based out of AA oc are leading it.
Hopkins can’t handle the expected numbers with social distancing, and Towson has outdoor graduation that week, I believe. Navy has the capacity and space.

Will be perfect for a Spalding vs St Mary’s Championship!

:shock:
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Could be a new venue in the mix . Navy Marine is a good call in 2021.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:11 pm Tuesday’s matchups:

Spalding @ John Carroll
CH @ MSJ
BL @ Gilly Tech
Lb @ St P
Severn @ McD
MSJ games vs CH and STM cancelled this week covid issues
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Funny how we get this perennial whine from St. Mary's folks about being ignored by the "blue bloods". Enormous inferiority complex? ;)

Seriously, does anyone actually not know that the Annapolis region has been producing terrific talent and teams for many decades?

Back in my day, Severna Park was a major powerhouse in the public league and Wroxeter attracted the bulk of private school talent into what was effectively a sports academy. Tremendous teams. After Wroxeter folded, that talent (at least seems to me) was picked up by St. Mary's...perhaps one of you guys could share more details about that history.

I 'get' the competitive juices between programs, but I really don't know anyone who doesn't respect the St. Mary's teams and players, who doesn't expect them to be highly competitive most years, akin to the "blue bloods" in northwest Baltimore. Not every school is going to be at the very top every year, but they cycle in and out quite regularly.

Enjoy the competition, but no need for disrespect, nor whine.
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:49 am Funny how we get this perennial whine from St. Mary's folks about being ignored by the "blue bloods". Enormous inferiority complex? ;)

Seriously, does anyone actually not know that the Annapolis region has been producing terrific talent and teams for many decades?

Back in my day, Severna Park was a major powerhouse in the public league and Wroxeter attracted the bulk of private school talent into what was effectively a sports academy. Tremendous teams. After Wroxeter folded, that talent (at least seems to me) was picked up by St. Mary's...perhaps one of you guys could share more details about that history.

I 'get' the competitive juices between programs, but I really don't know anyone who doesn't respect the St. Mary's teams and players, who doesn't expect them to be highly competitive most years, akin to the "blue bloods" in northwest Baltimore. Not every school is going to be at the very top every year, but they cycle in and out quite regularly.

Enjoy the competition, but no need for disrespect, nor whine.
Well said. Back in the day the SM teams were motivated by this "chip" and--real or perceived--the coaches used it to great effect for many years. The school's "unique" facilities only fed into this. At the same time, SM is among the schools in the conference with the deepest multigenerational connections (5 of the 7 goals against CHC were scored by alumni sons, the vast majority of the staff are alumni, etc) so it makes sense that some of that chip still lingers.

I always found it ironic because in AA Co SM is a/the blueblood program. No need for Saints fans to feel sensitive... SM appeared in the last championship game and has won a championship more recently than Gilman, BL, SP, and L-B. Two years ago the MLL and PLL RoYs were both SM alums. The program's social media is A+, the message is getting out... No need for the sensitivity Saints fans... Just win baby!

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”