Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm Don't mean to irk the JHU faithful but some answers to my question on Calvert Halll elevate rather than answer. Making no inferences, just noting and asking.

As responded, Im aware kids from MIAA and other local powerhouses are visible and being recruited by many but Im aware that many are still going to JHU as stated so wouldn't it make sense there would be at least some trickle in from Calvert Hall ? Certainly use to be, Ryan Brown included.

If JHU has a pipeline into a nationally recognized Culver then would it not be logical that some connection exists with Calvert as it does with BL .

I asked about the absence of CHP on 19 'JHU roster but believe there was the same absence on 17 and 18 rosters as well as in recruiting classes of 2019 and 2020. That is some stretch, 5 years if Im counting correctly .

That just seems rather odd to me a
You say you're making no inferences, but then you say it "seems rather odd"—I'm having trouble believing you.

Hopkins does have lots of connections to Calvert Hall. Tinney is an assistant coach there now. Obviously Dave Huntley was a huge connection. A 2020 recruit (rising senior at CH) literally just committed to Hopkins a few weeks ago. Like I said, there is absolutely nothing to see here. So they went a couple years without a player on the roster. Who cares? You get roughly 15 slots per class, there are hundreds and hundreds of quality high school programs in the country. Your team needs change every year. Sometimes you'll go a couple years without a guy from Calvert Hall. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time. This a complete non issue.

PS: From what I'm hearing, Hopkins is very much in play for the rising sophomore attackman from Calvert who had an excellent freshman season and looks like he could be headed for stardom.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:00 pm
stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm Don't mean to irk the JHU faithful but some answers to my question on Calvert Halll elevate rather than answer. Making no inferences, just noting and asking.

As responded, Im aware kids from MIAA and other local powerhouses are visible and being recruited by many but Im aware that many are still going to JHU as stated so wouldn't it make sense there would be at least some trickle in from Calvert Hall ? Certainly use to be, Ryan Brown included.

If JHU has a pipeline into a nationally recognized Culver then would it not be logical that some connection exists with Calvert as it does with BL .

I asked about the absence of CHP on 19 'JHU roster but believe there was the same absence on 17 and 18 rosters as well as in recruiting classes of 2019 and 2020. That is some stretch, 5 years if Im counting correctly .

You say you're making no inferences, but then you say it "seems rather odd"—I'm having trouble believing you.

Hopkins does have lots of connections to Calvert Hall. Tinney is an assistant coach there now. Obviously Dave Huntley was a huge connection. A 2020 recruit (rising senior at CH) literally just committed to Hopkins a few weeks ago. Like I said, there is absolutely nothing to see here. So they went a couple years without a player on the roster. Who cares? You get roughly 15 slots per class, there are hundreds and hundreds of quality high school programs in the country. Your team needs change every year. Sometimes you'll go a couple years without a guy from Calvert Hall. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time. This a complete non issue.

PS: From what I'm hearing, Hopkins is very much in play for the rising sophomore attackman from Calvert who had an excellent freshman season and looks like he could be headed for stardom.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/41575

https://giving.jhu.edu/story/12-year-ol ... holarship/

Same kid, I believe he plays with Petro's sons as well
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ABClaxfan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks for posting. I will root for that kid.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'm not really worried about the recruiting rankings and incoming talent as much as what happens when it arrives. If you added up the IL rankings over the last 11 years we probably finish at or equal to duke/unc/uva in the top 1-2 with programs like notre dame, denver, loyola, towson, maryland, yale who've finished below us in them having much more successful decades in addition to the albanys, penn states, cornell, penn and ohio states who've come on and had their moments. This school, that high school, it doesn't matter if the people picking the talent can't develop it, keep it eligible and coach it effectively.
viper

Post by viper »

Kelly doesn't posture kids to go to UNC or OSU, however, when kids are coming up through the pipeline (aka FCA Club) and then to CHC and they are spending time with the Kellys and Breschis and Myers,etc throughout their childhood - it's hard to not see how they might gravitate in that direction. As a side note, another guy who spends alot of time on CHC campus is CHC (and OSU) alum Jon Torpey who is the the head coach at High Point. He just had one of his young sons at the CHC Summer Lacrosse Camp. Right now they have 2 CHC alum on the roster (PJ Peters and Trey Smith) but have gotten more recent commits as well.

Also, I recognize the 20 year scandal from UNC, but having said that - out of state admissions to UNC is something like 9% of total applicants so it's not an easy accept for the general population.

Overall, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over how many kids Hop is getting from specific schools and it's silly to evaluate how why specific kids choose places other than Hopkins. What is important is the overall quality of the kids they do get - and in my opinion they are still getting their fare share of potential (that's what it all is until they get on the field).

viper

Post by viper »

For your viewing pleasure. He will only get better as he gets bigger.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0W1_pOycO4
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:10 pm
ABClaxfan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 pm
stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm PS: From what I'm hearing, Hopkins is very much in play for the rising sophomore attackman from Calvert who had an excellent freshman season and looks like he could be headed for stardom.

Thanks for posting. I will root for that kid.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I’m probably behind on the news, but is Patrick Foley not returning for a 5th year?

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Will Hopkins have Navy on schedule in 2020 ? Been off it the last two years.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:32 pm I’m probably behind on the news, but is Patrick Foley not returning for a 5th year?

DocBarrister :?:
Certainly don't know anything but last I saw was school and player wanted waiver. Waiting for NCAA ruling?
stupefied wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:11 am Will Hopkins have Navy on schedule in 2020 ? Been off it the last two years.
Again lack of knowledge is prominent but thought UVA out Navy in
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Navy is definitely back on unless the new regime in Annapolis makes a surprise last-minute change to their schedule, though I can't really imagine that being the case.

I heard the same re: Foley but haven't been able to confirm anything further. These NCAAs things tend to take way longer than they have any right to. I also don't know that—if he's granted another year of playing eligibility—if it's considered big enough news for Ernie to write up a press release but you'd think it'd at least get leaked to Xanders and/or College Crosse. From what I understand—Foley has graduated, so any additional year of lacrosse would have to be played out as a grad student (presumably Carey?).
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Foley is playing at Lake Placid with Hubler, Smith and Colwell for whatever that is worth.

Goodto hear Navy back on schedule. Should be
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/55116

if someone wants to go watch this weekend this looks like a big part of our future. Georgia, utah, indiana, canada, canada, md, nj, ct, pa, ny. Looks like the Hopkins brand is dead as lp forum posters predicted.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:14 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/55116

if someone wants to go watch this weekend this looks like a big part of our future. Georgia, utah, indiana, canada, canada, md, nj, ct, pa, ny. Looks like the Hopkins brand is dead as lp forum posters predicted.
The two guys playing in this to watch in terms of potentially immediate impact next season are Eddy Glassmeyer as an SSDM/two-way middie and Hunter Jaronski as a swife army knife defenseman who is athletic enough to play up top, down low, with a pole or with a shortie—your guess is as good as mine as where he ultimately ends up in college but he's a solid player who should find his way onto the field if not in year one then probably not long after that, especially given the losses to graduation following the 2020 season.

Lots of guys we won't see on Homewood till the fall of 2020/spring of 2021 but I've heard some nice recent reports about the two Canadian middies—Raposo and Peshko. Both have been playing in Canada's top box league over the summer. Raposo is a pretty slick dodger while Peshko looks a bit like a righty Cole Williams—large kid who uses his body well but dodges from up top way more than Williams and is definitely a natural middie. I believe they're both transferring to Salisbury school for their senior years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Update on the above post: The team with all these future Jays won their first game. All goal scorers were Hopkins commits. Bauer and Glassmeyer had two each; Peshko, Chauvette, and Harkin all had one while McDermott dished two assists. 2020 goalie DiMarsico made 4 saves and allowed 0 goals.

These games count towards our season, right? Right??

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/game/7554/19
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/team/bca19brave/19
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Brave 12 Fight 2. Brave clinches Pod A :)
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/game/7566/19
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If you've been reading IL or follow their guys on Twitter you'd see heaps and heaps of lavish praise being thrown McDermott's way. Sounds like the kid plays incredibly hard and does pretty much everything well.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

What the hell is a swife army knife?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:04 pm What the hell is a swife army knife?
I think it's kind of like a swiss army kniss.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”