Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Israel and West Bank Settlements

Post by youthathletics »

OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:09 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:35 am All the makings of a people that simply want the best for everyone: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ha ... efd2&ei=20
And Israel’s represent what?
You tell us, if you want to defend Hamas.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:11 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:35 am All the makings of a people that simply want the best for everyone: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ha ... efd2&ei=20
It seems like a plethora of our FLP friends on this forum are rabid supporters of Hezbollah and Hamas. They are all just poor innocent misunderstood terrorists who only want to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. Are they inspired by Adolph Hitler and only wish to develop their own solution to the Jewish Problem?? Funny how all of the FLP liberals on this forum to include MD lax fan are always opining about right wing fascists. Yet they tacitly support Iran and their network of terrorists who want to annihilate the Jewish people. I can say that because that is Irans goal that they have repeatedly said many many times over many years. The only problem they see is Bibi and his determination to not see his people wiped off the face of the earth. You all want him to chase down that unicorn 🦄 you call the 2 state solution. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Tsk tsk how about we try this. Rather than fantasy deal with reskity. Israel has shelters and tunnels too. Both dide would be idiots not fo have them
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:32 am
It seems like a plethora of our FLP friends on this forum are rabid supporters of Hezbollah and Hamas. They are all just poor innocent misunderstood terrorists who only want to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. Are they inspired by Adolph Hitler and only wish to develop their own solution to the Jewish Problem?? Funny how all of the FLP liberals on this forum to include MD lax fan are always opining about right wing fascists. Yet they tacitly support Iran and their network of terrorists who want to annihilate the Jewish people. I can say that because that is Irans goal that they have repeatedly said many many times over many years. The only problem they see is Bibi and his determination to not see his people wiped off the face of the earth. You all want him to chase down that unicorn 🦄 you call the 2 state solution. :roll:
NOBODY here is advocating support for terrorists including Hamas, Hezbollah and other militias supported by Iran and their tactics- some are expressing concern for the damage to civilian populations as a result of consistent and sustained air strikes in both Gaza and now Lebanon by the Israelis. Others are concerned with an escalation directly between Iran and Israel that could expand into widespread conflict

Your sometimes mindless ranting is an impediment to any kind of informed discussion here. :oops:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

So, did Hamas miscalculate, or was precipitation their end goal? Are they millenarians?

“That’s an important cornerstone of game theory, a method of analyzing the strategies that different “players” — be they militaries, business rivals or poker players — choose to achieve the best possible outcome for themselves.

When it comes to war, each side needs to forecast how the other will react to a given move in order to weigh its costs and benefits. And by credibly demonstrating that the costs of aggression would be too high to be worthwhile, even bitterly opposed enemies can deter a catastrophic war.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/04/worl ... n-war.html
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Try not being so binary. What I would like is that non-combatants not be slaughtered or displaced.

Have you ever read the Geneva Conventions? Do you understand what they were a reaction to? Are you capable of learning from the past?
Last edited by PizzaSnake on Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:46 am
NOBODY here is advocating support for terrorists including Hamas, Hezbollah and other militias supported by Iran and their tactics- some are expressing concern for the damage to civilian populations as a result of consistent and sustained air strikes in both Gaza and now Lebanon by the Israelis. Others are concerned with an escalation directly between Iran and Israel that could expand into widespread conflict

Your sometimes mindless ranting is an impediment to any kind of informed discussion here. :oops:
So why is Israel retaliating/striking? Have one of the top military forces on the globe, for such a small place? Have the support of NATO? Have the backing of US? Not ever need treaties with other nations other than terroist nations? Require massive funding from the US to help them defense themselves....read that again, DEFEND themselves? Create an Iron Dome to protect themselves from every direction on the compass?

Of course there is MAJOR concern of widespread conflict..so ask yourself why is that? Might wanna read the first part of my reply, again.

So help us understand how my mindless ranting process is incorrect, when the aggressor, has to build tunnels under schools, hospitals and hide weapons in residential zones.

I am sure there is plenty for you to understand, just visit the State Department website and in the search bar, just type Israel, read the quantity of posts and content. Then do the same for Hamas, Hezbolla, and finally Iran. Then tell us who the bad guys are....
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:13 am

So why is Israel retaliating/striking? Have one of the top military forces on the globe, for such a small place? Have the support of NATO? Have the backing of US? Not ever need treaties with other nations other than terroist nations? Require massive funding from the US to help them defense themselves....read that again, DEFEND themselves? Create an Iron Dome to protect themselves from every direction on the compass?

Of course there is MAJOR concern of widespread conflict..so ask yourself why is that? Might wanna read the first part of my reply, again.

So help us understand how my mindless ranting process is incorrect, when the aggressor, has to build tunnels under schools, hospitals and hide weapons in residential zones.

I am sure there is plenty for you to understand, just visit the State Department website and in the search bar, just type Israel, read the quantity of posts and content. Then do the same for Hamas, Hezbolla, and finally Iran. Then tell us who the bad guys are....
Sorry- my comments about ranting were not directed at you but rather at Cradle (who does this all the time) - apologies if I wasn't clear

That said, I am aware who the bad guys are - pardon me for expressing concerns about colllateral damage and death and destruction raining upon many non-combatants during this ongoing conflict. In less than a week, over 1 million people in Lebanon have been displaced and there have been airstrikes every day on Beirut - a city of over 2 million people.

This is how larger conflicts often get started.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

There is a lot of logic in my mindless rants. You just made a lame ass attempt to justify terrorism on the part of Hamas, Hezbollah and Hooties. If you need an example of a mindless rant i suggest you look in the mirror and start talking. Any drivel that comes out of your pie hole will be a mindless rant. I would normally say that you can't be so f***ing stupid but your the exception to the rule. You are that f***ing stupid... :roll: have a wonderful day.. If your determined to have more intelligent discussions on this forum then you should go away for an extended vacation. That would be a positive first step... :D
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:42 pm

There is a lot of logic in my mindless rants. You just made a lame ass attempt to justify terrorism on the part of Hamas, Hezbollah and Hooties. If you need an example of a mindless rant i suggest you look in the mirror and start talking. Any drivel that comes out of your pie hole will be a mindless rant. I would normally say that you can't be so f***ing stupid but your the exception to the rule. You are that f***ing stupid... :roll: have a wonderful day..
As I was saying - drivel begets more drivel - There is NO logic in drivel including yours. Name=calling then follows which makes you look even more inane because you cannot construct any kind of rational thought....let alone discern my meaning (which you totally whiffed on because you cannot read plain English)

Up Yours, Einstein :!: :!: :!: :!:
Have a nice day!!!!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:46 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:42 pm

There is a lot of logic in my mindless rants. You just made a lame ass attempt to justify terrorism on the part of Hamas, Hezbollah and Hooties. If you need an example of a mindless rant i suggest you look in the mirror and start talking. Any drivel that comes out of your pie hole will be a mindless rant. I would normally say that you can't be so f***ing stupid but your the exception to the rule. You are that f***ing stupid... :roll: have a wonderful day..
As I was saying - drivel begets more drivel - There is NO logic in drivel including yours. Name=calling then follows which makes you look even more inane because you cannot construct any kind of rational thought....let alone discern my meaning (which you totally whiffed on because you cannot read plain English)

Up Yours, Einstein :!: :!: :!: :!:
Have a nice day!!!!
I much prefer my drivel over your drivel. I guess we both have our own personal preference . Your getting much too technical with your Einstein retort. I come from simple middle class folks. I adjust a sweat hogs meme and say ...up your ass with a piece of glass... Ohhh Mr Kotter.... :D
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Here you go - you in a nutshell

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Is it remotely possible that there are bad actors on both sides of this very long conflict?

I know where I come down on support for Israel’s defense, but does that mean that any means , any actions, by Israel are therefore immune from criticism? Does that have to mean no empathy for all Palestinians?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:38 pm

Is it remotely possible that there are bad actors on both sides of this very long conflict?

I know where I come down on support for Israel’s defense, but does that mean that any means , any actions, by Israel are therefore immune from criticism? Does that have to mean no empathy for all Palestinians?
The empathy I feel towards the Palestinian people is they made a very poor choice. They believed Hamas had their best interest in mind when they voted them into power. Hamas is now a venereal disease that the Palestinian people have no cure for. If Hamas had one iota of decency and humanity they would have surrendered unconditionally and left Gaza never to return. Hamas turned Gaza into a fortress with a sophisticated tunnel system they ultimately chose to use to start a war with Israel on October 7. Every single Palestinian civilian killed in Hamas' war is directly their fault and theirs alone. If the brave Hamas warriors wanted a real shooting war with the IDF that would have been simple. Hamas should have come out of their rat holes and fought the IDF face to face like the brave warriors they claim to be. Hamas always understood they couldn't win a conventional war with the IDF. They then chose to hide like the gutless cowards they are in their rat holes under schools, hospitals and any other place where they could use the Palestinian people as human shields. The Hamas cowards underestimated the resolve of Bibi and the IDF. What happened in Gaza MD is what the real face of urban combat looks like when the rules of engagement are kicked to the curb. Guess what my man, it ain't pretty and people didn't like seeing it on the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt at 6:30 every evening. That is a picture of what all out war looks like. Innocent people get caught in the middle and they die in drives.
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:30 pm

The empathy I feel towards the Palestinian people is they made a very poor choice. They believed Hamas had their best interest in mind when they voted them into power. Hamas is now a venereal disease that the Palestinian people have no cure for. If Hamas had one iota of decency and humanity they would have surrendered unconditionally and left Gaza never to return. Hamas turned Gaza into a fortress with a sophisticated tunnel system they ultimately chose to use to start a war with Israel on October 7. Every single Palestinian civilian killed in Hamas' war is directly their fault and theirs alone. If the brave Hamas warriors wanted a real shooting war with the IDF that would have been simple. Hamas should have come out of their rat holes and fought the IDF face to face like the brave warriors they claim to be. Hamas always understood they couldn't win a conventional war with the IDF. They then chose to hide like the gutless cowards they are in their rat holes under schools, hospitals and any other place where they could use the Palestinian people as human shields. The Hamas cowards underestimated the resolve of Bibi and the IDF. What happened in Gaza MD is what the real face of urban combat looks like when the rules of engagement are kicked to the curb. Guess what my man, it ain't pretty and people didn't like seeing it on the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt at 6:30 every evening. That is a picture of what all out war looks like. Innocent people get caught in the middle and they die in drives.
What the fcuk is wrong with you? Are the Palestinian children who were born after the last election in Gaza to blame? Have you lost your mind and whatever critical faculties you may have had?

How about the Lebanese children? Are you familiar with the concept of collective punishment?

"This chapter discusses the prohibition of collective punishment under international humanitarian law. The prohibition of collective punishment applies to all armed conflicts as a matter of both treaty and customary international law. The relevant provisions of Article 33 of Geneva Convention IV were included without hesitancy in the treaty, demonstrating a decisive negation by the drafters of the Geneva Conventions of any perceived lawfulness or legitimacy of wartime practices of collective punishment. Both civilians and prisoners of war are protected from collective punishment, and subsequent legal developments have seen the prohibition extended to non-international armed conflict and designated as a punishable war crime under international criminal law."

https://academic.oup.com/book/56224/cha ... ogin=false

"ART. 33. — No protected person may be punished for an offence
he or she has not personally committed. Collective penalties and
likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited.
Pillage is prohibited.
Reprisals against protected persons and their property are
prohibited."

And what is a "protected person?"

"ART. 4. — Persons protected by the Convention are those who at
a given moment and in any manner whatsoever, find themselves, in
case of a conflict or occupation, in the hands of persons a Party to
the conflict or Occupying Power of which they are not nationals."

Now, if you want to argue an exception, that is illogical as Gaza is expressly NOT a state independent of Israel.

"Nationals of a State which is not bound by the Convention are not
protected by it. Nationals of a neutral State who find themselves in
the territory of a belligerent State, and nationals of a co-belligerent
State, shall not be regarded as protected persons while the State of
which they are nationals has normal diplomatic representation in
the State in whose hands they are."

https://www.un.org/en/genocidepreventio ... -IV-EN.pdf

Oh, and Israel signed and ratified the Geneva Conventions in 1951, four years BEFORE the US, 1955.

Palestine, has signed and ratified the Conventions (I-IV) and all of the protocols (which the US and Israel have not, certain Protocols eith e not signed or ratified).

So, either Palestine is a signatory, and its citizens are protected persons, or, if Palestine does not exist, then they are de facto Israelis (as Israel controls the territory and no other country claims the territory), in which case they are protected persons as Israel is a signatory.

Are you capable of introspection and examination of information that may contradict your worldview? Or, perhaps you feel that you do not agree with the GC that your government is a signatory to? How are you working to reverse this international obligation the US is bound by?

Or just running your mouth? Sovereign citizen?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:16 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:30 pm

What the fcuk is wrong with you? Are the Palestinian children who were born after the last election in Gaza to blame? Have you lost your mind and whatever critical faculties you may have had?

How about the Lebanese children? Are you familiar with the concept of collective punishment?

"This chapter discusses the prohibition of collective punishment under international humanitarian law. The prohibition of collective punishment applies to all armed conflicts as a matter of both treaty and customary international law. The relevant provisions of Article 33 of Geneva Convention IV were included without hesitancy in the treaty, demonstrating a decisive negation by the drafters of the Geneva Conventions of any perceived lawfulness or legitimacy of wartime practices of collective punishment. Both civilians and prisoners of war are protected from collective punishment, and subsequent legal developments have seen the prohibition extended to non-international armed conflict and designated as a punishable war crime under international criminal law."

https://academic.oup.com/book/56224/cha ... ogin=false

"ART. 33. — No protected person may be punished for an offence
he or she has not personally committed. Collective penalties and
likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited.
Pillage is prohibited.
Reprisals against protected persons and their property are
prohibited."

And what is a "protected person?"

"ART. 4. — Persons protected by the Convention are those who at
a given moment and in any manner whatsoever, find themselves, in
case of a conflict or occupation, in the hands of persons a Party to
the conflict or Occupying Power of which they are not nationals."

Now, if you want to argue an exception, that is illogical as Gaza is expressly NOT a state independent of Israel.

"Nationals of a State which is not bound by the Convention are not
protected by it. Nationals of a neutral State who find themselves in
the territory of a belligerent State, and nationals of a co-belligerent
State, shall not be regarded as protected persons while the State of
which they are nationals has normal diplomatic representation in
the State in whose hands they are."

https://www.un.org/en/genocidepreventio ... -IV-EN.pdf

Oh, and Israel signed and ratified the Geneva Conventions in 1951, four years BEFORE the US, 1955.

Palestine, has signed and ratified the Conventions (I-IV) and all of the protocols (which the US and Israel have not, certain Protocols eith e not signed or ratified).

So, either Palestine is a signatory, and its citizens are protected persons, or, if Palestine does not exist, then they are de facto Israelis (as Israel controls the territory and no other country claims the territory), in which case they are protected persons as Israel is a signatory.

Are you capable of introspection and examination of information that may contradict your worldview? Or, perhaps you feel that you do not agree with the GC that your government is a signatory to? How are you working to reverse this international obligation the US is bound by?

Or just running your mouth? Sovereign citizen?
No.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Israel's secular elite contemplates a silent departure. This article represents the thinking of well informed members of Israel's secular elite. This has been clear to me for some time as a likely outcome of Bibi's move to the fascist right. This is not the Arabs driving these elites out. There are too many places for freedom loving well educated secular Jews to move too for this not to be the case. These are the same type of people who left Germany and Italy before WW2, that moved to the US.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:33 am Israel's secular elite contemplates a silent departure. This article represents the thinking of well informed members of Israel's secular elite. This has been clear to me for some time as a likely outcome of Bibi's move to the fascist right. This is not the Arabs driving these elites out. There are too many places for freedom loving well educated secular Jews to move too for this not to be the case. These are the same type of people who left Germany and Italy before WW2, that moved to the US.
Came here to post this article myself.

Demographics is destiny.

“ While the horrors of 7 October are not the root cause of departures, they have accelerated them for many Israelis. Noam said over the last year that five or six families at his children’s school had taken their children out of classes to head abroad, and that he wanted to give his children back a “normal” childhood after a year of alarms and constant threats.”

“ By 2015, only a minority – although, at 45%, a large one – of the Jewish population in Israel defined themselves as secular, and that is shrinking as religious and ultra-orthodox Jewish families, on average, have more children.
Data from the first class at elementary schools in 2023 showed that only 40% of children were in the secular stream, he said.”

Return to “POLITICS”