Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:43 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:32 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:14 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:48 pm So the alleged shooter in Texas had been deported 4 TIMES!!! While your all hot and bothered about sensible gun laws maybe it is also time to get hot and bothered about immigration law. It is a fair question to ask how this PoS was able to buy a rifle. We as a nation are sick across a very wide spectrum. :roll: We are reaping what we have sowed.
You know what's gonna really blow your mind? The immigration & citizenship status of nearly every single mass shooter in US history. Quite compelling stuff.
We like our mass shooters to be full blooded Americans!
Maybe he was inspired by all those red blooded Americans? When in Rome do as the Romans do. :roll: I know one thing for certain. If my neighbor was popping caps on his front porch, I am not going to go over to him and ask him to stop. That is a job for the police.
In Texas, what would the police do with that call?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:05 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:48 pm So the alleged shooter in Texas had been deported 4 TIMES!!! While your all hot and bothered about sensible gun laws maybe it is also time to get hot and bothered about immigration law. It is a fair question to ask how this PoS was able to buy a rifle. We as a nation are sick across a very wide spectrum. :roll: We are reaping what we have sowed.
You know what's gonna really blow your mind? The immigration & citizenship status of nearly every single mass shooter in US history. Quite compelling stuff.
Maybe he was inspired by all those red blooded Americans? When in Rome do as the Romans do. :roll: I know one thing for certain. If my neighbor was popping caps on his front porch, I am not going to go over to him and ask him to stop. That is a job for the police.
Respond to it promptly??
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:33 am
Respond to it promptly??
For shooting in your yard?
Not so sure anyone shows up and if they do, they say you have the right to shoot your weapons..."illegal", but not enforced.

I do agree of course that such would be a good course of action, but we're talking about Texas...

Police said the suspect "has been known to shoot his .223 out in his front yard, which is evident by the shell casings that are laying in the front yard."

Capers said the shooter used a .223 rifle in the shooting. Capers could not confirm how many times his deputies had been called to the shooter's property previously.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/5-dead-texas- ... d=98957271
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue May 02, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Rene Arevalo Sr., who lives a few houses down, said he heard gunshots around midnight but didn’t think anything of it.

“It’s a normal thing people do around here, especially on Fridays after work,” Arevalo said. “They get home and start drinking in their backyards and shooting out there.”

Capers said his deputies had been to Oropeza’s home at least once before and spoken with him about “shooting his gun in the yard.” It was not clear whether any action was taken at the time. At a news conference Saturday evening, the sheriff said firing a gun on your own property can be illegal, but he did not say whether Oropeza had previously broken the law.

https://apnews.com/article/mass-shootin ... b00ec5fbaf
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:10 am Rene Arevalo Sr., who lives a few houses down, said he heard gunshots around midnight but didn’t think anything of it.

“It’s a normal thing people do around here, especially on Fridays after work,” Arevalo said. “They get home and start drinking in their backyards and shooting out there.”

Capers said his deputies had been to Oropeza’s home at least once before and spoken with him about “shooting his gun in the yard.” It was not clear whether any action was taken at the time. At a news conference Saturday evening, the sheriff said firing a gun on your own property can be illegal, but he did not say whether Oropeza had previously broken the law.

https://apnews.com/article/mass-shootin ... b00ec5fbaf
One of my college teammates is famous for this outside Houston…. Shooting his rifles from his front porch. It’s supposedly fun.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:37 am
Respond to it promptly??
Not so sure anyone shows up and if they do, they say you have the right to shoot your weapons..."illegal", but not enforced.

I do agree of course that such would be a good course of action, but we're talking about Texas...

Police said the suspect "has been known to shoot his .223 out in his front yard, which is evident by the shell casings that are laying in the front yard."

Capers said the shooter used a .223 rifle in the shooting. Capers could not confirm how many times his deputies had been called to the shooter's property previously.

The maximum effective range of a 5.56 round is 300 meters. Even in Texas that is reckless and stupid at least it should be. I know there is no way in hell I'm going to go over and try and reason with an intoxicated moron with a high powered rifle taking potshots at random. It may or may not be legal in Texas. It is certainly reckless and dangerous and an issue for law enforcement to deal with. I find it hard to believe that law enforcement where this happened would not intervene. The public was clearly in danger by the recklessness of this individual. Is protecting the people they serve not the top priority of any law enforcement officer?
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:42 am
Respond to it promptly??

The maximum effective range of a 5.56 round is 300 meters. Even in Texas that is reckless and stupid at least it should be. I know there is no way in hell I'm going to go over and try and reason with an intoxicated moron with a high powered rifle taking potshots at random. It may or may not be legal in Texas. It is certainly reckless and dangerous and an issue for law enforcement to deal with. I find it hard to believe that law enforcement where this happened would not intervene. The public was clearly in danger by the recklessness of this individual. Is protecting the people they serve not the top priority of any law enforcement officer?
Yes, but not uncommon...in Texas.

You live in NY where at least most folks think this sort of behavior should be shut down by police.
Seems obvious to you and me...but it was ...Texas.

so, the Texas Governor is focusing on the "illegals" shot by an "illegal"...instead of the gun and law enforcement.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:45 am
Respond to it promptly??

You live in NY where at least most folks think this sort of behavior should be shut down by police.

so, the Texas Governor is focusing on the "illegals" shot by an "illegal"...instead of the gun and law enforcement.
I'm curious how a person deported 4 times was able to purchase the rifle in the first place. I'm disgusted that in parts of or all of Texas that law enforcement is so cavalier about the reckless use of a very dangerous weapon. If this is so common place in Texas that law enforcement take their sweet ass time answering the call they are not doing their job. They should have responded ASAP. They could have assessed the situation, realized the shooter was intoxicated and removed the weapon from him.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:54 pm
Respond to it promptly??

I'm curious how a person deported 4 times was able to purchase the rifle in the first place. I'm disgusted that in parts of or all of Texas that law enforcement is so cavalier about the reckless use of a very dangerous weapon. If this is so common place in Texas that law enforcement take their sweet ass time answering the call they are not doing their job. They should have responded ASAP. They could have assessed the situation, realized the shooter was intoxicated and removed the weapon from him.
Yup, one can buy these weapons at a gun show, or otherwise privately, without a background check.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:32 pm
Respond to it promptly??

Yup, one can buy these weapons at a gun show, or otherwise privately, without a background check.
Maybe the folks in Texas will realize that their lax gun culture needs to be tightened up. You can have your guns and be responsible for everyone's sake when you buy them. The primary objective has to be to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:50 pm
Respond to it promptly??

Maybe the folks in Texas will realize that their lax gun culture needs to be tightened up. You can have your guns and be responsible for everyone's sake when you buy them. The primary objective has to be to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.
The "folks" running "Texas" made a careful and deliberate decision to depict the issue here not as one animated by guns, but as a skirmish among the sub-humans. Not holding out much hope for Texas. Or Florida. Or the American South.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Respond to it promptly??

and would be "criminals".

Most of these sorts of events, mass murders, happen with people who haven't committed a crime, certainly not a crime with a gun, previously.

Watching the sheriff on the press conference last night, you gotta wonder what folks in Texas actually expect from their law enforcement. Here's a cat 4 times deported, twice in 2009, 2012, and 2015, and then in 2022 a warrant for domestic abuse is to be enforced, looking for him but can't find him, complaint by wife is withdrawn...no follow-up...regularly firing AR-15 off porch...
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:24 am
Respond to it promptly??

Most of these sorts of events, mass murders, happen with people who haven't committed a crime, certainly not a crime with a gun, previously.

Watching the sheriff on the press conference last night, you gotta wonder what folks in Texas actually expect from their law enforcement. Here's a cat 4 times deported, twice in 2009, 2012, and 2015, and then in 2022 a warrant for domestic abuse is to be enforced, looking for him but can't find him, complaint by wife is withdrawn...no follow-up...regularly firing AR-15 off porch...
It sure looks like negligence on the part of law enforcement in that neck of the woods. I don't know how they do things in Texas. I know they are hugely a state that loves their guns. I have no problem with that. That being said I think the vast majority of gun loving Texans are not stupid and they don't fire randomly from their front porches while chitface drunk. IMO this suspect and the circumstances as to why he was still living as a known criminal in the state of Texas are well worth taking a hard look at. There are a lot of people with a lot of explaining to do.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:09 am
Respond to it promptly??

It sure looks like negligence on the part of law enforcement in that neck of the woods. I don't know how they do things in Texas. I know they are hugely a state that loves their guns. I have no problem with that. That being said I think the vast majority of gun loving Texans are not stupid and they don't fire randomly from their front porches while chitface drunk. IMO this suspect and the circumstances as to why he was still living as a known criminal in the state of Texas are well worth taking a hard look at. There are a lot of people with a lot of explaining to do.
Yes, but the political class, helped by gerrymandering, has grown quite extremist in Texas on these issues. See the effort to focus on the "illegal status" of the victims, as well as shooter. The pivot to blaming "border control" rather than simply targeting the anti-social behavior of a resident of a community and insisting on police doing their job to protect the interests of the rest of the community.

Note the neighbors' comments that shooting guns off the porch for fun is commonplace, an annoyance but commonplace. Drunk or not, commonplace.

Friday night in Texas (or anywhere), gonna be more drunk folks...in Texas, with AR-15's.

The issue with the gun culture in Texas, and quite a few other states, is that "gun rights" and "gun freedom" is deemed more important by the political structure than community protection, much less public annoyance (sleeping babies). Small town and rural police are going to see it that way, differently than urban police forces which have a different political structure, though still tilted in favor of the gun owner in those states.

That's why we see gun violence per capita so much higher in these states. Poverty still plays a large role in all violence per capita wherever, but the big difference in those states is the # of guns and the gun culture.

But you're right that the vast majority of gun owners, including in Texas, don't want things like this to happen nor do they see themselves as the likely perpetrators.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:29 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:09 am
Respond to it promptly??

Yes, but the political class, helped by gerrymandering, has grown quite extremist in Texas on these issues. See the effort to focus on the "illegal status" of the victims, as well as shooter. The pivot to blaming "border control" rather than simply targeting the anti-social behavior of a resident of a community and insisting on police doing their job to protect the interests of the rest of the community.

Note the neighbors' comments that shooting guns off the porch for fun is commonplace, an annoyance but commonplace. Drunk or not, commonplace.

Friday night in Texas (or anywhere), gonna be more drunk folks...in Texas, with AR-15's.

The issue with the gun culture in Texas, and quite a few other states, is that "gun rights" and "gun freedom" is deemed more important by the political structure than community protection, much less public annoyance (sleeping babies). Small town and rural police are going to see it that way, differently than urban police forces which have a different political structure, though still tilted in favor of the gun owner in those states.

That's why we see gun violence per capita so much higher in these states. Poverty still plays a large role in all violence per capita wherever, but the big difference in those states is the # of guns and the gun culture.

But you're right that the vast majority of gun owners, including in Texas, don't want things like this to happen nor do they see themselves as the likely perpetrators.
Absolutely common. Teammates that visit our former teammate that lives there do it when visiting. He thinks it’s fun. He has invited me down for beers and shooting….I told him he can have the gun, I will drink the beer.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oldest one lived in Texas for 20+ years, has two kids (twins) who are both Texas A&M grads, middle one followed him down a few years later and is still there (oldest is back), has three kids, have been there several times. They're all Texans pretty much through and through. Don't say anything about beer and guns unless you're going to say it's all good anywhere anytime (but pot's still illegal). A completely phukked up state made up of citizens with an unbelievable attitude. Hate the place, wouldn't give you a dime for the entire state.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:12 am Absolutely common. Teammates that visit our former teammate that lives there do it when visiting. He thinks it’s fun. He has invited me down for beers and shooting….I told him he can have the gun, I will drink the beer.
It's really not all that uncommon in plenty of places in NY too. Agriculturally zoned areas have virtually no rules in that respect...guns, fires (gotta be big ones of course), explosives, needless to say that all goes with beer included. Youngest has a nice little Ponderosa out in the middle of nowhere (feels like it but it's not all that far from town). Can't say I've never done all that out there with the rednecks....and it is fun. :D
This is his back yard (dog included (waiting for that ball to be thrown for the 767th time) and a shot of a not so unusual evening at the Ponderosa with the boys. The last one is a picture of what happens when you stand too close to that fire. Phukn hilarious!!
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:03 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:12 am Absolutely common. Teammates that visit our former teammate that lives there do it when visiting. He thinks it’s fun. He has invited me down for beers and shooting….I told him he can have the gun, I will drink the beer.
It's really not all that uncommon in plenty of places in NY too. Agriculturally zoned areas have virtually no rules in that respect...guns, fires (gotta be big ones of course), explosives, needless to say that all goes with beer included. Youngest has a nice little Ponderosa out in the middle of nowhere (feels like it but it's not all that far from town). Can't say I've never done all that out there with the rednecks....and it is fun. :D
This is his back yard (dog included (waiting for that ball to be thrown for the 767th time) and a shot of a not so unusual evening at the Ponderosa with the boys. The last one is a picture of what happens when you stand too close to that fire. Phukn hilarious!!
I remember that photo!! 😂😂
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Respond to it promptly??
Well, the municipality this occurred in had laws regarding public discharge of firearms. Routinely flouted and not enforced. So there's your answer - not jackshite.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”