Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Mid-Season Status

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:52 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:24 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:47 pm I still think there is an outside shot at a 10-4 regular season record.

DocBarrister
welp you can kiss the season goodbye

you've posted something like this at multiple points in every season dating back a decade+ on laxpower and seemingly every time you do we immediately lose by 15
I’m rational and my statements are based on objective observations and visually verifiable facts.

In contrast, you pay homage to luck and superstition.

I’m a complex algorithm … you are a wooden toothpick that ancient Romans used to remove remnants of fish sauce from their teeth.

I hope that sets the record straight.

DocBarrister 8-)
superstition is empirically a lot more accurate than your prognostications
I still made the legendary call of 2007.

Better a “has been” than a “never was”.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu06 »

Durkin's freshman year (remember he was a late comit who changed from lehigh) doc predicted he would go on to win a schmeisser award. His Coppersmith stuff was regularly mentioned on air by the espn crew. He has friends and prognostications that sometimes wind up in high places.

In case you thought we were alone the last 14 years with our sorrows of a once proud program, get a load of the meltdown with kentucky right now.
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/foru ... -forum.26/
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:14 pm Durkin's freshman year (remember he was a late comit who changed from lehigh) doc predicted he would go on to win a schmeisser award. His Coppersmith stuff was regularly mentioned on air by the espn crew. He has friends and prognostications that sometimes wind up in high places.
Tucker switched from Bucknell

one day you'll be right about something. one day.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

doc,
who do you like this weekend for each of the jays' 2 games?

only "if" allowed is if they win out this weekend, how do you see the b1g season going with w's and l's?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:52 pm doc,

only "if" allowed is if they win out this weekend, how do you see the b1g season going with w's and l's?
please don't we've suffered enough
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:47 pm I’m rational and my statements are based on objective observations and visually verifiable facts.

That is the funniest thing I've read in quite some time - rationality and objectivity - those are your hallmarks
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:55 pm I still made the legendary call of 2007.
A broken clock - if you make the same prediction every year for a sport at the time that seriously only entertained a double handful of contenders if that - maybe you get correct once in a blue moon. To use an '06 reference if I said every year from now on Kentucky would win the hoops tournament - someday I'll be right - might take 20 years but I'll be able to crow about a legendary call? Please.
Lot's of things broke right in '07 - If Rabil doesn't score in OT in the pouring rain after Maryland should have - likely don't qualify for the tournament - no Rubeor opened the door for Hopkins to face Delaware - if Duke doesn't pull that stunt before the game - maybe they don't fall behind 10-4. Yes but you in your ultimate rationality and objectivity were able to see past all that
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:22 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:47 pm I’m rational and my statements are based on objective observations and visually verifiable facts.

That is the funniest thing I've read in quite some time - rationality and objectivity - those are your hallmarks
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:55 pm I still made the legendary call of 2007.
Lot's of things broke right in '07 - If Rabil doesn't score in OT in the pouring rain after Maryland should have - likely don't qualify for the tournament - no Rubeor opened the door for Hopkins to face Delaware - if Duke doesn't pull that stunt before the game - maybe they don't fall behind 10-4. Yes but you in your ultimate rationality and objectivity were able to see past all that
What does "No Rubeor opened the door for Hopkins to face Delaware mean?" Ben Rubeor played the entire game against Delaware in that first round match when the Hens curb stomped the Cavaliers 14-8.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

My recollection was that he had a pretty bad right knee injury that turned one of the best players in the country to a shadow. My "no Rubeor" was shorthand. Delaware deserved to win the game but as the semifinal turned out - I would have rather faced the Hens than the Hoos with a healthy Rubeor.
GSP

Post by GSP »

A broken clock - if you make the same prediction every year for a sport at the time that seriously only entertained a double handful of contenders if that - maybe you get correct once in a blue moon. To use an '06 reference if I said every year from now on Kentucky would win the hoops tournament - someday I'll be right - might take 20 years but I'll be able to crow about a legendary call? Please.
Please remind me, what Duke pregame stunt? Thanks
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

GSP wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:21 am

Please remind me, what Duke pregame stunt? Thanks

They came out late and walked to the sideline, i guess to send a message that they were the alpha team and the game starts when they want it to start.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ahhh - like it was yesterday
Teams warming up in their shooting shirts - Hopkins goes back into the locker room comes out with the light blue game jerseys on and Duke doesn't go anywhere. They stood for the national anthem in their black shooting shirts. THEN they go back to the locker room - Hopkins is waiting and waiting and waiting - David wanted to kill somebody - and here they come slow walking out of the locker room to U2's "City of Blinding Lights". Everytime I hear that song it brings a smile. I think Dino is obviously one hell of a coach and appears to be a good guy but that decision was poor in many ways - it WAS bad sportsmanship and it fired up the other team. Hopkins played like their uniforms were on fire and they built a lead that was tied but never surmounted.

I didn't think it was an alpha team move as much as it was a recognition somehow of the ungodly mess from the year before.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

what color syracuse shirt is Rabil wearing this weekend in support of his favorite team in all of lacrosse?

https://navysports.com/news/2022/3/17/m ... field.aspx
Navy's last win in Baltimore was during the Nixon administration.
5 emo goals for them last week so lets hope deso remembers the shot clock rules and epstein doesn't lose it at a ref. Otherwise I like our chances.
Also they have a pretty inexperienced defense so at home you would expect a veteran hopkins attack to go to work.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:46 am what color syracuse shirt is Rabil wearing this weekend in support of his favorite team in all of lacrosse?

https://navysports.com/news/2022/3/17/m ... field.aspx
Navy's last win in Baltimore was during the Nixon administration.
5 emo goals for them last week so lets hope deso remembers the shot clock rules and epstein doesn't lose it at a ref. Otherwise I like our chances.
Also they have a pretty inexperienced defense so at home you would expect a veteran hopkins attack to go to work.
Historically, Navy is a lot tougher in Annapolis than at Homewood.
Would love to see Deso have a multipoint game. Now's the time in the season for the offense to really come together.
Delaware is a trap game for sure.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

I am still mystified as to why this team goes so deep into the shot clock before initiating once they are in 6 v 6. They have gotten some nice transition goals, but passing in a circle isn't making the opponent work real hard.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:32 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:14 pm Durkin's freshman year (remember he was a late comit who changed from lehigh) doc predicted he would go on to win a schmeisser award. His Coppersmith stuff was regularly mentioned on air by the espn crew. He has friends and prognostications that sometimes wind up in high places.
Tucker switched from Bucknell

one day you'll be right about something. one day.
is there REALLY a difference ? :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Old Lax Fan

Post by Old Lax Fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:35 am Ahhh - like it was yesterday
Teams warming up in their shooting shirts - Hopkins goes back into the locker room comes out with the light blue game jerseys on and Duke doesn't go anywhere. They stood for the national anthem in their black shooting shirts. THEN they go back to the locker room - Hopkins is waiting and waiting and waiting - David wanted to kill somebody - and here they come slow walking out of the locker room to U2's "City of Blinding Lights". Everytime I hear that song it brings a smile. I think Dino is obviously one hell of a coach and appears to be a good guy but that decision was poor in many ways - it WAS bad sportsmanship and it fired up the other team. Hopkins played like their uniforms were on fire and they built a lead that was tied but never surmounted.

I didn't think it was an alpha team move as much as it was a recognition somehow of the ungodly mess from the year before.
I, too, remember it but not so vividly. Duke also kept 48.000 fans waiting. The Hopkins players were standing shoulder to shoulder waiting. I remember wondering if Pietramala was furious. After 5 minutes, perhaps longer, Duke slowly saunters onto the field. I don't know what was in the players' minds, but such a deliberately slow walk onto the field struck me as arrogant and purposely rude.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

2023 recruit: Ace Lumpris, ssdm, 6’, 175, Cheshire (CT) Academy, reportedly a top d-middie with good speed. Also a football wr. Maybe he can graduate early and help our clearing game.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

get it to x wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:13 am I am still mystified as to why this team goes so deep into the shot clock before initiating once they are in 6 v 6. They have gotten some nice transition goals, but passing in a circle isn't making the opponent work real hard.
They're valuing possession time after long defensive stints and losing the Time of Possession battle by a wide margin the last few games. Gotta give the defense a chance to catch their breath. Additionally immediate poking and prodding of defenses isn't often yielding particularly good looks or getting the defense moving at all. As mentioned previously right now we don't have a ton of guys scorch their match up and getting the defense rotating at will.

If you all never did watch Inside Lacrosse's web show "The Season" from 2019 where they follow Cornell MLAX and the Florida WLAX teams Hard Knocks style it's worth checking out to get a little insight into what kind of offensive philosophy Coach Milliman probably wants to go for here. He very much preaches about getting the best look and not the first look.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Speaking of scorching matchups, I'm watching the Lawrenceville vs. Calvert Hall game right now and Brooks English looks phenomenal. He's one of those kids who can create separation almost effortlessly. Explosiveness jumps off the screen. He's the most impressive player on the field which includes Truitt Sunderland and other top D1 commits. Rawson looks really slick as well.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:52 pm doc,

I would guess two close games this weekend leading to Blue Jay wins.

B1G regular season, probably 3-2.

Regular season record: 9-5 (down from my preseason 10-4).

Appearance in the B1G final.

NCAA tournament bid.

Quarterfinal finish would be par, but I still think this team has a shot at the Final Four if every piece falls in place (possible, but not likely).

As a fan and alumnus, of course, I will still be rooting for them to win it all.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”