NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: NESCAC

Post by Laxattackjack »

That is the main link missing in your comparison. Saban was Alabama for the past generation. Prior to saban coming in, bama had only won one national title in 30 years.
Saban was a coaching genuis that created a web of coaching elites in college football.

Maybe tufts is Alabama before Saban entered the picture. All tufts needs is a Nick Saban (or Berkman) to make a long run of championships.
nelaxman

Post by nelaxman »

I have respect for Tufts but comparing them to Alabama is absurd. Alabama has won a 3 of National Championships in last 10 years. Tufts only has made it to one championship game in last ten years and got destroyed. They are probably more like Oregon football where they win a lot of conference championships but National championship has been very elusive as of late.
Last edited by nelaxman on Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

LOL if anyone is Alabama and Saban it's Berkman and Co.....
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

NNELax wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:09 pm LOL if anyone is Alabama and Saban it's Berkman and Co.....
As much as I agree. I think the original comment was to say “IF” you were to compare NESCAC to SEC. Tufts would be the Alabama of the NESCAC.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:22 pm
RE6ULATOR wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:33 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:43 am
RE6ULATOR wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:48 pm So to segue to something more NESCAC centered, take Tufts from last year, remove any 6 players of your choice and give them the best 6 NJIT players. Is that enough to push them over my Gulls for the ‘ship?
I assume you’re being facetious, but I could see Bowie, Corey and Wasitowski helping quite a bit if they were swapped for depth Tufts players.
C’mon…
They lost a lot...I'm thinking they need those Duke guys going to Bates.
We shall see. I’m sure they’ve got some talent down the bench.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:58 am
RE6ULATOR wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:49 pm
jumpman23 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:25 pm Anyone know when Amherst or Hamilton schedules will be out? Anyone know why Bowdoin is only playing 14 games? When do rosters usually get updated? Thanks in advance.
Amherst schedule: https://x.com/woodslaxcoach/status/1744 ... 55617?s=46

Scrimmaging NJIT TBD
Disappointing not to see WNE on their schedule.
One-sided result last year, but it's been a great WMASS game for a long time.
Yea. A strong schedule non-the less.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

nelaxman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:01 pm I have respect for Tufts but comparing them to Alabama is absurd. Alabama has won a 3 of National Championships in last 10 years. Tufts only has made it to one championship game in last ten years and got destroyed. They are probably more like Oregon football where they win a lot of conference championships but National championship has been very elusive as of late.
Tufts won national championships in 2014 and 2015, each within 10 years, so check your math. (Also has been in 4 national championship games in the last ten years ... do you even follow DIII lacrosse? )

Tufts has won 13 of the last 14 Nescac championships.

The comparison maybe wasn't great, but for 15 of the last 20 years or so Nescac has been the best DIII conference with Tufts being the best team in said conference. Since 2016, Nescac teams have been in 4 of 7 title games (with many final four appearences, which seems to be the DI benchmark, but when Tufts is involved it is Natty or bust apparently).

Also, Tufts did not get destroyed last year. Mercy got destroyed in the DII game (if you want to see destruction), as did St Leo a few years back,
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:38 pm
nelaxman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:01 pm I have respect for Tufts but comparing them to Alabama is absurd. Alabama has won a 3 of National Championships in last 10 years. Tufts only has made it to one championship game in last ten years and got destroyed. They are probably more like Oregon football where they win a lot of conference championships but National championship has been very elusive as of late.
Tufts won national championships in 2014 and 2015, each within 10 years, so check your math. (Also has been in 4 national championship games in the last ten years ... do you even follow DIII lacrosse? )

Tufts has won 13 of the last 14 Nescac championships.

The comparison maybe wasn't great, but for 15 of the last 20 years or so Nescac has been the best DIII conference with Tufts being the best team in said conference. Since 2016, Nescac teams have been in 4 of 7 title games (with many final four appearences, which seems to be the DI benchmark, but when Tufts is involved it is Natty or bust apparently).

Also, Tufts did not get destroyed last year. Mercy got destroyed in the DII game (if you want to see destruction), as did St Leo a few years back,
I don't mind the comparison. I think the Gulls are more omnipresent. But Tufts is like a pre-NIL Clemson. Always elite.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Are hockey/lacrosse combo guys still prevalent in the NESCAC? One of the old school arguments, valid imo, explaining the vulnerability of NESCAC teams on their season opening trips south (along with the Feb 15 start date and lack of pre spring break full field work before the construction of turf fields and enormous field houses) was that a handful of impact guys for some pretty strong teams would still be knocking off the rust of being on skates from late October to early March. My guess is it’s less common now with enhanced specialization of younger athletes and Juniors becoming a bigger pipeline to college hockey than prep school (though maybe not for the NESCAC), but I've always enjoyed the unorthodox styles and chippiness of guys who were rink rats before becoming lax rats.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

NJIT has a few guys with a hockey background.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:39 pm Are hockey/lacrosse combo guys still prevalent in the NESCAC? One of the old school arguments, valid imo, explaining the vulnerability of NESCAC teams on their season opening trips south (along with the Feb 15 start date and lack of pre spring break full field work before the construction of turf fields and enormous field houses) was that a handful of impact guys for some pretty strong teams would still be knocking off the rust of being on skates from late October to early March. My guess is it’s less common now with enhanced specialization of younger athletes and Juniors becoming a bigger pipeline to college hockey than prep school (though maybe not for the NESCAC), but I've always enjoyed the unorthodox styles and chippiness of guys who were rink rats before becoming lax rats.
With lax season still away off here in CT, went to a NESCAC hockey game last week featuring a hockey/lax star who is going to be playing BIG10 lax after this year. Not nearly as many as there used to be (lots of NESCAC hockey guys do juniors now too) but there are still a few.
Garbagetime

Post by Garbagetime »

Predictions for the spring?
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Garbagetime wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:39 pm Predictions for the spring?
Pain
smoova

Post by smoova »

A few folks have already posted preliminary thoughts up thread, but I expect most are waiting to see rosters before making final predictions.
Last edited by smoova on Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Jumbo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:57 pm
Pain
Easy there Clubber ...
HighBouncersGo

Post by HighBouncersGo »

Shaping up to be a tough year in New London, CT this year. Gonna get 25+ put up on them game 1 against Tufts and look for the Mules to upset them game 2 with Bernhardt at the helm. I think it will be a battle between them and Bates for the worst spot in the 'Cac. Anyone got lines on the opening slate of games?
Dadof3

Post by Dadof3 »

Pretty cold take Highbouncer. Tufts not dropping 25 early. They lost their 71% fogo. They’re whole attack. Yes they reload but they’re not dropping 25 w/out an elite fogo. Camels lost 4 seniors. Basically 2 starters. They’ll be dangerous. They can score. Fighting with Bates for last? More like fighting for the 4-6 slot. Bernhardt will make a difference….in like 2-3 years when he can recruit. He’s got the same roster. Again…pretty rough take by you
HighBouncersGo

Post by HighBouncersGo »

Not sure about that Dadof. Dont mention Tuft's losses without mentioning Conn losing 2 of their best players OF ALL TIME, rainville and venturelli. While Nagle has done a nice job since being hired, 2024 will undoubtedly be a rebuilding year for the camels. Take that to the bank
Dadof3

Post by Dadof3 »

Rain & Vent were fantastic. But returning 15 of your top 17 contributors does not make you say ‘rebuild’. Would love to hear any insights of why Conn will take a step back besides your ‘feeling’. 🤔🤔🤔
Irishdad1968

Post by Irishdad1968 »

I think that Bates will be a sleeper team this year. Annino now has a couple years at the helm and has brought in some young guys. More about whether those guys will contribute or not. For tufts, has to be tough losing an all time player and best fogo in the country last year so they will definitely take a step back. Nonetheless, Colby will still score 20 on them and that game won’t even be close. Going to be an interesting year in the Nescac for sure!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”