MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:30 pm
Gatsby wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:20 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:09 pm
Gatsby wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:03 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:55 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:59 am congrats to hopkins on the dub, and glad they're getting guys back. makes for a bigger game this week, hope it's a good one.
I hope it's not 10-0 out of the gate or whatever like last year - there should be no moral victories in that locker room but aside from being at home it's hard to see Hopkins with a bunch of advantages. UVA does present a very conspicuous set of problems that you have to solve:
- Their face-off man - as good as anyone - is averaging 60% and 1.5 goals per game. If he was on Hopkins roster he would be tied for 5th in goals. A really tall order for Dunn who took 32 face-offs yesterday (LaSalla took 26). Callahan will likely HAVE to contribute as I equate Narewski to Cage from Pet Semetary - he might come back but he also probably will not be like he was before. That kids has battled for sure.
- They are close to 70% on EMO - 6 trips to the box like yesterday with some full time could mean 4-6-8 goals goals - take your pick
- It seems like a team where you have to take away - or try - the attack to whatever degree you can. Cormier/Dickson and Shellenberger have 40 of the 84 goals. You can't play them straight up and think you'll be successful. Cormier with 5/Dickson with 4 and Shellenberger with 2-3 while passing out 5 helpers is how you get boat raced. I would give someone like Carson Brown a very simple assignment - you follow Cormier everywhere - you don't slide - you don't do anything but stay in front of him. If the Virginia middies have a field day - shake their hand at the end of the game but you probably can't play an attack averaging over 16 - I repeat 16 - points per game with a standard approach.
- Oh their defense has a couple monsters with wingspans like condors
JHU will have another advantage against UVA. Both teams just played on Saturday. Jays' contest started six hours earlier so they will have fresher legs while the Hoos will be dragging by the second half.

As some have pointed out earlier, this is enough to make you lose games like UNC, and lose championships on Memorial Day because of the deficit of 2-3 recovery hours in that case...
Their game with Richmond was over in the first quarter though. They subbed liberally in the second half. I doubt their starters even broke a sweat.

LaSalla did take 26 faceoffs, so maybe that's a factor on short rest but that kid is an energizer bunny.
I guess it was a four-hour difference in start time, not six. Anyway, if the UVA starters only played the first half, which I don't think is true (they played a majority of the second half too), that's still a 2-3 hour difference in rest time they missed out on. I've heard people saying the top seed on Memorial Day shouldn't have to play last because they miss those extra 2-3 hours of rest. The tired legs argument had a lot of legs in the UNC discussion. Well, Hoos will have the tired legs this time around.
*UVA pulled Shellenberger and Cormier early in the 3rd quarter last weekend
**The Memorial Day turnaround is 2 days vs 3 days here, each additional day lessens the effect of 4 extra hours of rest
***Counting on tired legs late in the game to be the difference may be foolish, the last 3 weeks UVAs been leading by 11, 8, and 15 through 3 quarters.
Not sure when Shellenberger came out as his last mention in the play by play is an assist 7:25 in 3rd Q, but Cormier is listed as having a TO early in the 4th Q. Dickson's last mention is 6:18 in 3rd. Schutz played into the 4th as well...no mention of Schellenberger though or Dickson and you see Sunderland mentioned before 3rd is over.

But yes, they didn't have to push in the second half, and undoubtedly weren't worn out by that game.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 am
GSP wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:01 am With the very significant divergence in the quality of lacrosse played by Hopkins and UVA over the last few years, it would be far more representative of their respective lacrosse' relevance if the series were to switch to a 2 home games for UVA, followed by 1 home game format for Hopkins, then back to UVA for 2 home games etc. JHU cannot afford to lose UVA off of their schedule.
dixon said this is going back to the weekend next year as is unc.
While I respect Dixon's opinion, with a resurgent B1G, there is a real possibility that JHU might have the best SOS in all of college lacrosse. Personally, other than Maryland and Navy, there is no other team I would want on the schedule more than UVA (the younger fans might list Syracuse just above UVA, but it is close). But that does not mean our recently upgraded SOS depends on UVA or UNC. If one of them insisted on an unbalanced schedule, I vote we try to get Princeton back on the schedule. And if we need two, then how about bringing back Army? Not that anybody is asking for my vote.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:41 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 am
GSP wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:01 am With the very significant divergence in the quality of lacrosse played by Hopkins and UVA over the last few years, it would be far more representative of their respective lacrosse' relevance if the series were to switch to a 2 home games for UVA, followed by 1 home game format for Hopkins, then back to UVA for 2 home games etc. JHU cannot afford to lose UVA off of their schedule.
dixon said this is going back to the weekend next year as is unc.
While I respect Dixon's opinion, with a resurgent B1G, there is a real possibility that JHU might have the best SOS in all of college lacrosse. Personally, other than Maryland and Navy, there is no other team I would want on the schedule more than UVA (the younger fans might list Syracuse just above UVA, but it is close). But that does not mean our recently upgraded SOS depends on UVA or UNC. If one of them insisted on an unbalanced schedule, I vote we try to get Princeton back on the schedule. And if we need two, then how about bringing back Army? Not that anybody is asking for my vote.
It's a delusional post. If UVa asked for an unbalanced schedule, I would tell them to go eff themselves. UVa fans have it good now, but it wasn't all that long ago that they went almost 4 years without a conference win.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't even think UVA would be interested in that arrangement. Lars probably likes having a Baltimore game down the road from Boys Latin, Calvert Hall, Gilman, Loyola, and McDonogh every other year for recruiting purposes as well as to the benefit of the families of some of their current players. They have a bunch of guys from the area and a very high-profile one coming in next year.

As for tonight's game — can we all agree to not have a meltdown if the Jays lose to a team that's ranked #1 and destroying every opponent they face? I think we can be competitive on home turf but you've got to be realistic. I'm looking at a couple of you in particular. You know who you are. There are a lot more games to play and what happens tonight will likely not define the entire season.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Trolls sure do troll. Those comments are GSPs own and not anyone else, Dixon's indication of these games moving back to the weekend next year really just shows how much of a scramble this seasons scheduling and the late announcement of "double ACC conference play" really was.

Don't look now but this series has actually somehow been even over the last decade. With some missed years in there from COVID and the planned skip in the 2020 schedule anyways there have still been 10 meetings thanks to playoff tilts since the start of the 2013 season; 5 wins by both sides. I'm expecting to see the Jays lose this afternoon but I'm hoping they'll put up a good fight and at least won't get run off the field like some of the other teams UVA has faced thus far.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:49 pm I don't even think UVA would be interested in that arrangement. Lars probably likes having a Baltimore game down the road from Boys Latin, Calvert Hall, Gilman, Loyola, and McDonogh every other year for recruiting purposes as well as to the benefit of the families of some of their current players. They have a bunch of guys from the area and a very high-profile one coming in next year.

As for tonight's game — can we all agree to not have a meltdown if the Jays lose to a team that's ranked #1 and destroying every opponent they face?
I know you aren’t new here. There will be a meltdown lol
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:49 pm I don't even think UVA would be interested in that arrangement. Lars probably likes having a Baltimore game down the road from Boys Latin, Calvert Hall, Gilman, Loyola, and McDonogh every other year for recruiting purposes as well as to the benefit of the families of some of their current players. They have a bunch of guys from the area and a very high-profile one coming in next year.

As for tonight's game — can we all agree to not have a meltdown if the Jays lose to a team that's ranked #1 and destroying every opponent they face? I think we can be competitive on home turf but you've got to be realistic. I'm looking at a couple of you in particular. You know who you are. There are a lot more games to play and what happens tonight will likely not define the entire season.
Agree. Utah and St. Joe’s were must-win games. Virginia is not.

Having said that, I fully expect the Blue Jays to play to win. They are playing at Homewood. No team should leave Homewood with a victory without a good fight.

Go Blue Jays!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

szulak can't clear, awful melendez turnover. no wing help for dunn. hopkins beating hopkins.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Awful start.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

6v6 defense has settled down nicely. vast improvement. really good stuff.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:49 pm I I'm looking at a couple of you in particular. You know who you are. There are a lot more games to play and what happens tonight will likely not define the entire season.
The only thing that really gets me is Hopkins lax twitter feed is unable to just post running scores. It has long stretches of being inactive. It aint hard to say UVA 3-0, whatever.

Saturday's fee from the St. Joes Game was typical. Post 13-8 Hopkins. Next post is 15-14 Hopkins win.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

UVA 5 Hop 0 end of 1st.

Final score prediction: UVA 20 Hop 0.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Callahan's come in and done a very nice job. I'm done w/reports on Narewski. Each week we eventually seem to get one of those 2 guys going and they give us a shot.

That turnover from 44 was absolutely inexplicable.

Offense looks terrible.

PM still using corona as an excuse in interviews. So much for find a way or make one.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays playing some decent D after a rough start. Getting dominated on gbs. Virginia simply a better shooting team.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

krampf and callahan in off the bench and instant gains. this is something the last staff wouldn't do. ever.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Hopkins can’t Dodge passed anyone on the VA defense
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

good for cody and jaronski
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Narewski takes first draw.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

raposo getting worked a bit but ssdms are responsible for 2/3 goals we have.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think we're playing that bad. UVA is just relentless. They have 1st-2nd team All-Americans at every single position

Stop taking Collison off the field

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”