~46~ Lame Duck Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: ~46~ Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:10 pm Interesting read on the battle ahead for Biden's climate plan:

The Achilles’ Heel of Biden’s Climate Plan? Coal Miners.

Unions representing other workers affected by climate legislation have struck deals, but opposition from coal miners has persisted, complicating the path to enactment.
For years, environmentalists have sought compromises with labor unions in industries reliant on fossil fuels, aware that one of the biggest obstacles to cutting carbon emissions is opposition from the unions’ members.

States like Washington, New York and Illinois have enacted renewable-energy laws that were backed by unions representing workers who build and maintain traditional power plants. And unions for electricians and steelworkers are rallying behind President Biden’s climate and social policy legislation, now in the Senate’s hands.

But at least one group of workers appears far less enthusiastic about the deal-making: coal workers, who continue to regard clean-energy jobs as a major risk to their standard of living.

“It’s definitely going to pay less, not have our insurance,” Gary Campbell, a heavy-equipment operator at a coal mine in West Virginia, said of wind and solar jobs. “We see windmills around us everywhere. They’re up, then everybody disappears. It’s not consistent.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/busi ... imate.html
Yes, dealing with that small, but vocal, constituency is going to be essential to success. The answer is to make significant development and training commitments, wage guarantees, etc. in those counties directly impacted. The actual cost of such in the greater scheme of things is small, but they really do need to addressed.

The mine owners, the heck with them though, they've been exploiting for years. Enough.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:11 pm Maybe you could explain "give away to other countries" when these are full pay students who need to be far higher achieving than do US students to gain admission? And certainly at most of our top universities, they also need to speak and write English at a strong level as well, so are active participants with their peers in class, on research etc. Are there more such full pay students available in the US? Seems to me they subsidize the cost of educating American students.

I know you're not xenophobic, wasn't saying you are...just don't understand the "give away" aspect.
I'm saying we need some of those spots to educate our own people. 300K is a HUGE number.

To wit:
55 percent of all U.S. graduate students in mathematics, computer science and engineering are international students

That number is a big long term problem, imho, if we're trying to compete globally, UNLESS the vast majority of these students stay and work in the US as citizens.

Is that happening? I don't know, and can't find a cite for that. If these ex-foreign students are turning into US citizens and staying here? Great. No problems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:08 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:48 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:42 am What do you think he should be doing with Putin? Or is this more of your vacuous "Biden Bad," without even bothering with a critique?
While we wait for kramer's reply, what are your thoughts?
Way above my pay grade. Ask Fiona Hill, one of the experts that Old Salt mocks from his dog walks.
Did she consult her friend & former research assistant Danchenko ?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I’d take her word and advice over yours any day of the week.
old salt

Post by old salt »

re. video or f2f ? Neither should be Biden flying solo.

It should be Scholz, Macron, Johnson & Biden flying in formation,
...as soon as all 4 agree & Scholz is ready to function as flight leader.
...& before Nordstream 2 is switched on.
...unless/until intel indicates a Russian attack is imminent. imho.
old salt

Post by old salt »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:53 pm There has been talk for years that Putin isn't healthy. Whispers of cancer and Parkinson's, among a million other things.
One of the analysts I heard stated that due to Ukraine's positive history as part of Russia, reuniting Ukraine to Mother Russia is a main priority as part of Putin's legacy. It's an emotional and personal thing to him.
Yep ! +1
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:59 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:53 pm There has been talk for years that Putin isn't healthy. Whispers of cancer and Parkinson's, among a million other things.
One of the analysts I heard stated that due to Ukraine's positive history as part of Russia, reuniting Ukraine to Mother Russia is a main priority as part of Putin's legacy. It's an emotional and personal thing to him.
Tough ti-ties.

The part of Ukraine not yet taken is adamantly opposed to reintegration and they're now far better armed and trained than back in 2014. Not that the Russians can't roll over them, but it'd be quite bloody.
That should be of great concern to our EU/NATO allies, especially Germany.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:02 pm Please remind me again why we are picking a fight with Russia. What is our national interest? Please stop picking the Russia scab and pay attention to our real rival, the PRC.
I agree, but.....
....there was a clear and distinct declaration by this new administration that GWOT was over and we are entering the GPC...from the lips of Kamala at the USNA graduation ceremony, only months after inauguration. Which means, that snowball started rolling awhile ago.

.... who is to say that Russia and China are not working off of, or with each other...triangles in a relationship are bad, and frankly, both are envious of us.

I lean to agree with OS (below) on this one....there is strength in numbers. But I guess, Biden wanted first stab at it, see how the dust settles, and hope he can then engage the rest of the crew in solidarity.
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:44 pm re. video or f2f ? Neither should be Biden flying solo.

It should be Scholz, Macron, Johnson & Biden flying in formation,
...as soon as all 4 agree & Scholz is ready to function as flight leader.
...& before Nordstream 2 is switched on.
...unless/until intel indicates a Russian attack is imminent. imho.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:11 pm Maybe you could explain "give away to other countries" when these are full pay students who need to be far higher achieving than do US students to gain admission? And certainly at most of our top universities, they also need to speak and write English at a strong level as well, so are active participants with their peers in class, on research etc. Are there more such full pay students available in the US? Seems to me they subsidize the cost of educating American students.

I know you're not xenophobic, wasn't saying you are...just don't understand the "give away" aspect.
I'm saying we need some of those spots to educate our own people. 300K is a HUGE number.

To wit:
55 percent of all U.S. graduate students in mathematics, computer science and engineering are international students

That number is a big long term problem, imho, if we're trying to compete globally, UNLESS the vast majority of these students stay and work in the US as citizens.

Is that happening? I don't know, and can't find a cite for that. If these ex-foreign students are turning into US citizens and staying here? Great. No problems.

Let me repeat, I think you're ignoring that these are full pay students, which means that for most institutions, they're underwriting the cost for educating most of the American students.

If you've followed my other thoughts on education over the years (which I certainly don't expect you to have done), you'll recall that I feel strongly that we could and should do far more to transform our educational system, nowhere more obviously than in math and science. It's ridiculous that our system is designed to 'weed out' math and science students, 'separate the wheat from the chaff', rather than actually educating. What's the % of college freshmen intending to graduate with a math or science major degree (and that's after all the kids have been discouraged in American HS from such an objective) ? 50%? 30%?...nope, less than 10%. Less than 1 in 10 kids who actually intended to major in math or science end up doing so...Ridiculous. And it ain't because kids can't actually learn and perform at a high level...lots more on that topic...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:59 pm
Tough ti-ties.

The part of Ukraine not yet taken is adamantly opposed to reintegration and they're now far better armed and trained than back in 2014. Not that the Russians can't roll over them, but it'd be quite bloody.
That should be of great concern to our EU/NATO allies, especially Germany.
Yes, it should.
And note that Biden met with those allies, including Germany before and immediately after the call...there's lots of consultation going on.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:42 pm I’d take her word and advice over yours any day of the week.
Over Salty's as well.
Not a close call.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:16 pm

To wit:

Let me repeat, I think you're ignoring that these are full pay students, which means that for most institutions, they're underwriting the cost for educating most of the American students.

If you've followed my other thoughts on education over the years (which I certainly don't expect you to have done), you'll recall that I feel strongly that we could and should do far more to transform our educational system, nowhere more obviously than in math and science. It's ridiculous that our system is designed to 'weed out' math and science students, 'separate the wheat from the chaff', rather than actually educating. What's the % of college freshmen intending to graduate with a math or science major degree (and that's after all the kids have been discouraged in American HS from such an objective) ? 50%? 30%?...nope, less than 10%. Less than 1 in 10 kids who actually intended to major in math or science end up doing so...Ridiculous. And it ain't because kids can't actually learn and perform at a high level...lots more on that topic...
Isn’t undergrad organic chemistry almost explicitly designed by most academics to weed kids out? I’ve heard that many (anecdotal) times across probably 20-30 excellent universities.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:16 am

To wit:

Isn’t undergrad organic chemistry almost explicitly designed by most academics to weed kids out? I’ve heard that many (anecdotal) times across probably 20-30 excellent universities.
yes, as are many other intro courses in other subjects. Its an enormously dumb mindset.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

To wit:

... the woman's movement has helped with the scientific "weeding" problem, but not nearly enough and doing little if anything for males. I believe there are unrecognized differences between "natural" scientist/engineers and other students, generally unrecognized by the education profession.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:52 am

To wit:

yes, as are many other intro courses in other subjects. Its an enormously dumb mindset.
My experience with O-Chem in school was it was very helpful to know how to read and memorize material.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

To wit:

Protects the academics from competition…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:18 am

To wit:

My experience with O-Chem in school was it was very helpful to know how to read and memorize material.
I just didn’t do enough of the physical sciences I regret. Physics in college FR year and went through linear Algebra and Calc 3 in college but not a ton past high school. Bought into and still highly value the liberal arts side and got some “quant” training going deep into economics but wish I’d done a little more with Chem and biology. Reality is between sports practices at Hobart and them having limited offerings so they give preference to those interested in post graduate tracks (medicine, etc.) I would’ve had to make it a very high priority there. Maybe it’s changed but I wonder why liberal arts schools don’t value and push more cross training w the physical sciences. It’s important to have some “Techne” IMO.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:17 am

To wit:

... the woman's movement has helped with the scientific "weeding" problem, but not nearly enough and doing little if anything for males. I believe there are unrecognized differences between "natural" scientist/engineers and other students, generally unrecognized by the education profession.
If we accept that there are differences in individual's innate capabilities, and certainly such are observable physically, the question is whether such observable differences actually "make a difference" in STEM such that those who are perceived to have less "ability" are discouraged from pursuit at all. Basically, even if someone has some innate advantages in certain aspects of a STEM career, does that mean that someone with less such in that specific 'difference' can't be productive? Is it not possible that the 90% of those who had intended to major in math or science could well have been successful?

Moreover, are there other characteristics which might well outweigh the differences measured...eg what if Einstein's failure on an entrance exam had discouraged him from a career in math? Lots of students (not Einsteins!) are discouraged early on, either because of being bored or because some instance or series of instances put them behind their peers in a bulk taught classroom process, an illness, a death of family member, whatever...and from thereon, the coursework simply makes no sense given the building blocks missed...the student is perceived as slow, including their own self perception. Unless individually tutored and encouraged, they're lost.

Moreover, let's consider whether our sense of such "differences" is actually immensely biased by those doing the measuring. eg Geneva's point. Are academics really the best judges of what is necessary in industry, for instance?

About a decade ago I attended two eye opening TED talks.

One was by Freeman Hrabowski, head of UMBC, a small part of the UMD system, historically just a small, 'weak sister' to College Park, in the suburbs of Baltimore between Balt and DC. Much higher % of minority students than UMD but not an historically black institution like Morgan State. Hrabowski had been offered the top job at Harvard, but had chosen to go with UMBC, because "Harvard is like turning an aircraft carrier" and he felt he could innovate far more at UMBC. He described UMBC's philosophy, that their job was to teach, to help each student be successful, not to weed them out. He felt that every student could be successful, not just some. He talked about the the peer group project processes and industry projects that he felt were critical to bringing students into full realization of their capacities, learning from one another and learning how they could contribute in the real world and have a career. They also had/have a special scholarship for black students from the region seeking to major in STEM: https://meyerhoff.umbc.edu; Cyber security programs, CS programs, etc.

The result? UMBC produces more minority STEM graduates who go on to MA, PHD, MD programs than any other institution in the country. Really, really low drop out rate from the STEM major chosen. Very high job placement.

They teach, not weed.

The other TED talk was by an admiral from the NAVY who talked about the dilemma the Navy had in attracting enough qualified applicants to enter their training programs to become electrical engineers on nuclear subs. Their existing force was aging out and retiring and they couldn't find enough youngsters who could pass the test for entrance. Not strong enough in math.

So, they decided to experiment with a different curriculum and training process. They took a cohort, all of whom failed the entrance exam, and trained them for 9 weeks. At the end, they out performed 15 year veterans in complex problem solving relevant to the job. Outperformed, after 9 weeks of training. And these were kids who otherwise would have been rejected as incapable. How did they do it? Team projects, individualized instruction ensuring that at each step, each individual actually learned the necessary building blocks, and using peer processes to accelerate learning versus classroom.

A bunch of takeaways.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Back to the thread topic, NPR Marist poll says only 16% strongly support Biden. I don't get it. I mean, We all love the "freedom" of lock downs and mask and vaccine mandates and high taxes and regulations and $100 fill ups at the gas pump and a $100 bag of groceries and armed terrorists and dead US soldiers. I for one hated the "fascism" of peace and prosperity and job and economic growth. At least we don't have mean tweets.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/09/10624531 ... ack-better
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:45 pm I for one hated the "fascism" of peace and prosperity and job and economic growth. At least we don't have mean tweets.
Trump did that by making the Federal Government 66% bigger. 66% more annual spending in just four years, every penny of it borrowed.

You telling me that you liked that? Really?

And nope, I don't like Biden, either. The kids have the vaccine, it's time to call it a day with the masks and virus mandates....but most importantly, it's time to pull all Federal money for Covid prevention or treatment. If people want to show up at a hospital unvaxxed and looking for help? Great. Here's the bill. YOU pay for it. Where do I sign to get Biden to do that?

And it's time to pull State Mandates, too, I agree. We're done.

Return to “POLITICS”