movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Typical Lax Dad

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:15 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:32 pm I finally got to Shadow on The Wall. I liked it.

I did put the movie on my to do list. But somehow I mixed it up with Shadow On the Window:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049748/

Both film noir, suspenseful, good setting, very good acting.

Will have to put Shadow On the Wall on my list once again.
I have Fingers At The Window on my To Watch list. Have you seen it?
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:18 pm
I have Fingers At The Window on my To Watch list. Have you seen it?

I believe so but that was about 50 years ago or longer. Will put it on my to do list as well. Thanks for the tip.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

I watched Seven Psychopaths. It was an excellent dark comedy. Desert scent a little long but a great movie.
“I wish you would!”
Cletus

12 Angry Men

Post by Cletus »

Really enjoyed re-watching this recently. Probably for the umpteenth time. It gets better every time I see it. Great performances by quite a cast and a great story that moves right along. And it pretty much all takes place in one room.

Great lines:

Lee J. Cobb - "I'm telling you, everything that's gone on has been twisted, and turned!"
"Rotten kids, you work your LIFE out!!"
Cletus

Death Wish

Post by Cletus »

This is a great classic. Vincent Gardenia is great as the police lieutenant. Bronson is great. Great mood created by the excellent soundtrack.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Death Wish

Cletus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:46 am This is a great classic. Vincent Gardenia is great as the police lieutenant. Bronson is great. Great mood created by the excellent soundtrack.
Man I had a friend tell me about Death Wish back when we were young. He completed lied about the movie but I looked forward to him telling the story everyday.... my best friend and I were just laughing about it. His lies were so good it was actually better than the film! Went on for about a week of daily recaps!! Just saw end of the remake the other days.
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Recently watched The Father and Promising Young Woman. Both very good.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/

Leon: The Professional 1994

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.jpg

Was inspired from a post on another thread. Superb action and acting. Jean Reno gave one of the greatest performances I have ever seen in a modern day movie. Reviews were mixed though it was a big box office success. Very good soundtrack. According to wiki it has achieved what it calls "cult" status.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Run All Night ~ 2015

Mixed reviews with critics giving it only a 3 to 3½ (NY POST gave it a 2½) while the viewing fans gave a 4 to 4½. Incredibly suspenseful and had me on the edge of my seat. I would have given it a 4½ except (sad to say) it failed to include Brooklyn accents or dialog. How the director and producers failed to include that is beyond all belief. Some good social commentary about the role police corruption has in all the drug crime we see in Gotham.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:34 pm Run All Night ~ 2015

Mixed reviews with critics giving it only a 3 to 3½ (NY POST gave it a 2½) while the viewing fans gave a 4 to 4½. Incredibly suspenseful and had me on the edge of my seat. I would have given it a 4½ except (sad to say) it failed to include Brooklyn accents or dialog. How the director and producers failed to include that is beyond all belief. Some good social commentary about the role police corruption has in all the drug crime we see in Gotham.
You liked this one?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:43 am
You liked this one?
Why not?

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just felt like 75 different movies I've seen in the last decade, most generally built off of the first Taken and about half actually involve Liam Neeson.

It was fine. I don't like the pouty scandanavian actor who plays the son. He's in a ton of things these days and just don't think he's very good, Joel Kinnehan I think, hollywood seems to want to pimp him on us though. Would take Brooklyn's Finest or the one with Collin Farrell and Ed Norton as brohers, one dirty one clean (bronx more cant recall the title) for NY dirty cop dramas.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Mebbe it's cause I like to see NY cops truthfully presented as the crooks they are so often. After all, how many movies do you see where an entire precinct except for one honest cop is as corrupt as the Republican party? :lol:

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Check out the two movies I mentioned. Brooklyn's Finest is excellent, I've just seen it too many times. Don Cheadle, (forgot name but) Blade/tax evasion actor escaping my head now, Richard Gere and some others. Second one I looked up name and it's called Pride and Glory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_and_Glory_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn%27s_Finest

Single best personal story for me was at some Bronx bar where the rumors once again had Shane McGowan and the Pogues showing up which commonly spread and never happened. One of my girlfriends first generation Irish american friend's (Danny Boyle) became a cop after scraping through HS and obviously his dad, uncle, etc had become cops in the 70s-80s. Girlfriend and I are talking about a dude we didn't like and he jumps in "ya know how to solve that problem?" and then proceeds to explain how to hotwire a carbomb. This is a cop. Made Bill Murray's suggestion for dealing with Judge Smails seem charming...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Two movies about honest NY cops? Well, will have to think about it. After all, it is fiction but there at least should be some measure of reality in such a movie. Our pal Petey may believe the fraction of bad cops to good ones is mebbe 1 or 2 to a hundred. But those of us who live in the world of reality know the 1 or 2 is the measure of the few good ones. Thanks for the suggestion.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm Two movies about honest NY cops? Well, will have to think about it. After all, it is fiction but there at least should be some measure of reality in such a movie. Our pal Petey may believe the fraction of bad cops to good ones is mebbe 1 or 2 to a hundred. But those of us who live in the world of reality know the 1 or 2 is the measure of the few good ones. Thanks for the suggestion.
Oh no mostly corrupt just in the one you have Farrell and Norton as opposite sides and brothers.
Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:13 pm https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/

Leon: The Professional 1994

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.jpg

Was inspired from a post on another thread. Superb action and acting. Jean Reno gave one of the greatest performances I have ever seen in a modern day movie. Reviews were mixed though it was a big box office success. Very good soundtrack. According to wiki it has achieved what it calls "cult" status.
That is one of my all time favorite films. I was in France when it was released there before it made its debut state side. An excellent movie and Oldman was fantastic.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Haven’t seen that one, it’s a bit on the nose and think guy or Darren armosky does a better job with the random jump cuts, but there’s some aesthetic to Lucy makes it fairly compelling to me. Either you guys see that one?

Somewhat familiar w Besson but not a devotee. Looked him up to refresh briefly and see he’s a weinstein/Polanski team member it looks like. Hollywood and their crazy antics.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Robin Hood: Men in Tights

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107977/

The usual Mel Brooks humor - corny as heck some times but riotous laughter at other times. Big box office success. Amy Yasbeck was so incredibly beautiful.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/Rb15810a3db16 ... pid=ImgRaw

Cletus

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Post by Cletus »

There are always some great scenes and dialog in Tarantino's films. This has many great scenes, most involving Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth. QT has a gift for taking an event in a period of US history and using it for a fantasy of what we wish it looked like. He did an excellent job of that in Django Unchained. Here he employs that twist with the Manson family and their first attempt at home invasion.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”