brodad

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by brodad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:19 pm
thegman wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:56 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:03 am
Gorilla Fan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:55 am
Laxbuck wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:30 pm
Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:01 pm Pressler did too.
One is not like the other
Long time respected D1 coaches, left to very good high school programs
True
Pressler retiring to Texas. Coaching at HP in large part due to a relationship with a former player who has a son on the team. Has no financial concerns after Duke payout. Wilkinson not yet retirement age.
The dook settlement $$ was def a big number, but I distinctly remember reading that Highland Park HS was paying Pressler $500k per year to coach their team. Wish I'd saved that article but can't find it searching online. For those who may doubt that a HS would comp their coach like that, Highland Park is a tiny enclave inside an extremely wealthy area of Dallas. It wouldn't shock me if the parents of HP players could raise that in one afternoon (see SMU's remarkable recent fundraising success).
That doesn't sound remotely plausible even at the wealthiest of privates.
That said, it's possible to generate those sorts of earnings through clubs and camps etc, but I think there's no way a private HS is paying that kind of money for a lax coach. Darn good program, though.
I actually spoke to a coach who was offered that amount to coach at a wealthy private HS. I suppose he could have been inflating the amount,or maybe it included camps etc., but it certainly sounded like an outrageous amount of money to coach HS lax.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

brodad wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:17 am
True
Pressler retiring to Texas. Coaching at HP in large part due to a relationship with a former player who has a son on the team. Has no financial concerns after Duke payout. Wilkinson not yet retirement age.
The dook settlement $$ was def a big number, but I distinctly remember reading that Highland Park HS was paying Pressler $500k per year to coach their team. Wish I'd saved that article but can't find it searching online. For those who may doubt that a HS would comp their coach like that, Highland Park is a tiny enclave inside an extremely wealthy area of Dallas. It wouldn't shock me if the parents of HP players could raise that in one afternoon (see SMU's remarkable recent fundraising success).
That said, it's possible to generate those sorts of earnings through clubs and camps etc, but I think there's no way a private HS is paying that kind of money for a lax coach. Darn good program, though.
I actually spoke to a coach who was offered that amount to coach at a wealthy private HS. I suppose he could have been inflating the amount,or maybe it included camps etc., but it certainly sounded like an outrageous amount of money to coach HS lax.
What school?

I'm not thinking that even a Lawrenceville or Deerfield or analogue would be paying that kind of money...maybe "six figures" as in over $100k, but hard to imagine any HS lax coach getting over $200k, even when including housing, free tuition for kids, etc.

Interesting question, though.

The IL article re Pressler and Highland Park did mention a very big system, including a club system, that he's overseeing, so that may well generate much more than the HS pays for coaching.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
brodad

Post by brodad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:43 am
brodad wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:17 am
True
What school?

I'm not thinking that even a Lawrenceville or Deerfield or analogue would be paying that kind of money...maybe "six figures" as in over $100k, but hard to imagine any HS lax coach getting over $200k, even when including housing, free tuition for kids, etc.

Interesting question, though.

The IL article re Pressure and Highland Park did mention a very big system, including a club system, that he's overseeing, so that may well generate much more than the HS pays for coaching.

It was a private school in CT. Ya, maybe it included a lot of offseason programs too, IDK, he didn't get into a lot of details.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Highland Park is a little different deal as the sport is not sanctioned by the state and so is run as a private organization. Thus a bunch of crazy parent could in theory pay a huge amount, which is very different than the school paying such an amount. Still not plausible as an actual salary, maybe he does get lots of extra for running a whole program, camps, etc. None of the CT boarding schools are offering anything remotely close to that. No way. If you are counting free tuition, which can run 60K plus, and he has multiple kids in the school and counting camps and clubs? I still don’t think so. Choate has that kind of money in the seat cushions but would never, never pay that for a lacrosse coach. Taft is the one that has the money and the lacrosse focus but just isn’t paying that (which is, as far as I know, more than any D1 coach and not by a small margin). Brunswick has the wealth of course in its student families but a) would have no need to pay that much, coaches would pretty much pay them to coach there and b) even a school with crazy wealthy families is itself not necessarily that flush with spending money. These schools have endowments of hundreds of millions but those come with earmarks. They would have to raise it from the parents. Which it certainly could do for a signing bonus but I can’t imagine as an annual salary as that would commit future parents to huge donations they haven’t agreed to.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Highland Park fundraising: https://www.highlandparklacrosse.org/championsclub

Highland Park registration fees: https://www.highlandparklacrosse.org/pa ... gistration

Between the fundraising and the fees, it looks like there's a lot of money coming in. I'm sure they have some hefty expenses ($100K for field usage), but I can see the rumors of Coach's salary being accurate.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:46 pm Highland Park fundraising: https://www.highlandparklacrosse.org/championsclub

Highland Park registration fees: https://www.highlandparklacrosse.org/pa ... gistration

Between the fundraising and the fees, it looks like there's a lot of money coming in. I'm sure they have some hefty expenses ($100K for field usage), but I can see the rumors of Coach's salary being accurate.
Median household income in Highland Park, TX is $249,923. Maybe, I am starting to believe the rumors.
https://datausa.io/profile/geo/highland ... 4241%2C458.

I remember hearing from a friend pretty close to the HP program, Pressler got a huge salary. As well as free fishing/hunting trips, lake houses/guest houses, private flights, vacations etc. all from some generous alumni/parents. I need these types of friendships.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Apologies if I have missed some facts about Pressler about where he is, was, is going? I just saw club team in Natick, MA post that he is the Director of College Recruitment and Placement (Penguins).

Assuming this is true, is he still coaching ay HP? If he left HP, there must be a compelling reason for him to take the job at a just OK club program. Am I missing the boat completely? Pardon my ignorance.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

justanotherperson wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:39 am Apologies if I have missed some facts about Pressler about where he is, was, is going? I just saw club team in Natick, MA post that he is the Director of College Recruitment and Placement (Penguins).

Assuming this is true, is he still coaching ay HP? If he left HP, there must be a compelling reason for him to take the job at a just OK club program. Am I missing the boat completely? Pardon my ignorance.
Looks like he was hired by Penguins May 2023, so he appears to be doing this in addition to HP and PLL.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Looks like he was hired by Penguins May 2023, so he appears to be doing this in addition to HP and PLL.
#banking
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:55 am
justanotherperson wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:39 am Apologies if I have missed some facts about Pressler about where he is, was, is going? I just saw club team in Natick, MA post that he is the Director of College Recruitment and Placement (Penguins).

Thanks PCL!. I was trying to find the penguins start date so much appreciated. That makes sense!
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Sounds like my alma mater (D3 - SUNY Potsdam) has hired a D1 asst and will be announcing soon! Has anyone in this space heard any rumblings around staff departures? Was told it was someone from a respectable program and they had several D1 assts that interviewed.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

GoBears wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:04 am Sounds like my alma mater (D3 - SUNY Potsdam) has hired a D1 asst and will be announcing soon! Has anyone in this space heard any rumblings around staff departures? Was told it was someone from a respectable program and they had several D1 assts that interviewed.
St. Bonnies AC - Gill Conners
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:14 am
GoBears wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:04 am Sounds like my alma mater (D3 - SUNY Potsdam) has hired a D1 asst and will be announcing soon! Has anyone in this space heard any rumblings around staff departures? Was told it was someone from a respectable program and they had several D1 assts that interviewed.
Gill Conners? Hard to not read that as Conor Gill in a lax context.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:14 am
Appreciate it, I assumed someone heard something through the grapevine by now
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Brian Voelker is retiring as @DrexelMLax head coach, he confirms to @Inside_Lacrosse.

A source tells IL that assistant Steven Boyle is taking over on an interim basis.

https://x.com/terencefoy/status/1817704 ... EO2hFStaxg
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 7:38 pm Brian Voelker is retiring as @DrexelMLax head coach, he confirms to @Inside_Lacrosse.

A source tells IL that assistant Steven Boyle is taking over on an interim basis.

https://x.com/terencefoy/status/1817704 ... EO2hFStaxg
News release from Drexel posted on Sunday eve says he is retiring "from college coaching". Curious what's next. News release says Boyle as interim.

https://drexeldragons.com/news/2024/7/2 ... retirement
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Hey, with the Drexel job opening up, the Dragons should keep it on the main line and poaching Simon Conor from Nova, 18 years as Mike Corrados assistant, time to run his motion offense in Philly & he would not even have to move from his house
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Almost took too long to get that post.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Magbride14 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:19 am Hey, with the Drexel job opening up, the Dragons should keep it on the main line and poaching Simon Conor from Nova, 18 years as Mike Corrados assistant, time to run his motion offense in Philly & he would not even have to move from his house
Are you Simon Conor’s dad? I hope so because you have posted numerous times that he would be the best hire at numerous schools 😂
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:06 am
Magbride14 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:19 am Hey, with the Drexel job opening up, the Dragons should keep it on the main line and poaching Simon Conor from Nova, 18 years as Mike Corrados assistant, time to run his motion offense in Philly & he would not even have to move from his house
Are you Simon Conor’s dad? I hope so because you have posted numerous times that he would be the best hire at numerous schools 😂
Only topic he’s addressed it’s funny:
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”