Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LaxAllStars

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by LaxAllStars »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland’s has made available their single game tickets.
Ouch they have upped the single ticket prices. For the first 3 games a GA ticket cost $15 each and the last 3 games they’re $20 each. Pride pass is a good deal at $49.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

According to the Cuse board the Maryland game will be on ESPNU
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Fun scrimmage against the Hoyas. Both teams have reason for optimism. McNaney looks great. Overall, Maryland looked like the better team but that's from a fan's perspective. Hoyas had nice moments too. Maryland tried a zone d with primarily non-starters to start the second half, and that failed miserably, giving up 3 in a row. Even with that run, I think MD won the 4 quarters like 10-9 or so. Terps hit a lot of pipes but Gtown missed some patsies too. Should be an excellent Terps team.
ny10458

Post by ny10458 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:18 pm Fun scrimmage against the Hoyas. Both teams have reason for optimism. McNaney looks great. Overall, Maryland looked like the better team but that's from a fan's perspective. Hoyas had nice moments too. Maryland tried a zone d with primarily non-starters to start the second half, and that failed miserably, giving up 3 in a row. Even with that run, I think MD won the 4 quarters like 10-9 or so. Terps hit a lot of pipes but Gtown missed some patsies too. Should be an excellent Terps team.
Hoyas were leading by two after the third quarter ended, then pulled all their starters for the fourth.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

ny10458 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:57 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:18 pm Fun scrimmage against the Hoyas. Both teams have reason for optimism. McNaney looks great. Overall, Maryland looked like the better team but that's from a fan's perspective. Hoyas had nice moments too. Maryland tried a zone d with primarily non-starters to start the second half, and that failed miserably, giving up 3 in a row. Even with that run, I think MD won the 4 quarters like 10-9 or so. Terps hit a lot of pipes but Gtown missed some patsies too. Should be an excellent Terps team.
Hoyas were leading by two after the third quarter ended, then pulled all their starters for the fourth.
Georgetown never trailed. They went up 2-0, and the Terps chased all day. 5-5 at half. 9-7 Hoyas at the end of the 3rd. 10-10 at the end of the 4th. Georgetown won the 5th quarter 2-1. Georgetown's FOGO outplayed Wierman. My guess is he won 60% against Luke. Maryland hit probably 7 pipes and also hit the goalie in the head on 3 more shots. It was hard to tell who was who because both teams mixed up their jerseys. Maryland did jump into that zone for 3 straight possessions to start Q3, and the Hoyas bombed them out of it with 3 big time shots from up top. The Hoyas seemed to get most of their scoring from the midfield (or attack playing up there). Maryland's attack didn't seem to have many issues beating Georgetown's poles. They hung up Hoya defenders a ton, but the Terps missed a lot of close in shots or got stuffed by Georgetown's goalie, who played really well.

McNaney was really sharp in cage, and he keyed a few fast breaks on great passes off of saves.

I had for the Terps: Whittier 1g/2a, Erksa 1g/1a, Maltz 1g, Malever 2a, Murphy 2g, Spanos 2g, Kelly 1g, Brennan 1g/1a, Stobaugh 1a, Tucker 1g, Onagi 1a (I think it was him?).

Malever might have had 4 more assists after hanging his defender up at X and feeding the crease if not for pipes, goalie's heads, or the goalie making some great in close saves.

The game was played with a lot of intensity. It was a physical scrimmage.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tills interview with local sports radio show

https://www.youtube.com/live/P8DO4C-Kc0 ... rLqTdvnCiL
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

3 game for Maryland on ESPN channels. Cuse, ND and Hopkins
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Will McNaney start in goal ? How's ACL
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Cno3putts wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:44 pm Will McNaney start in goal ? How's ACL
He started the Georgetown scrimmage.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:57 pm
Cno3putts wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:44 pm Will McNaney start in goal ? How's ACL
He started the Georgetown scrimmage.
And looked really good. Had you not known he was less than 12 months out from surgery, you wouldn't have guessed it.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I've got to think the Terps coaching staff loves the additional motivation of the team being picked #3 in the Big 10: https://bigten.org/news/2024/1/30/mens- ... onors.aspx

With a healthy McNaney and Malever I like the Terps chances to end at #1 in the Big 10 by season's end.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:39 pm I've got to think the Terps coaching staff loves the additional motivation of the team being picked #3 in the Big 10: https://bigten.org/news/2024/1/30/mens- ... onors.aspx

With a healthy McNaney and Malever I like the Terps chances to end at #1 in the Big 10 by season's end.
Yeah it's interesting comparing the relative expectations of the teams this season. Every team in the B1G has now had at least 1 great season since the B1G formed. OSU made the finals, JHU final 4, Rutgers in '21, PSU a couple times and Blue last year. Maryland is the only program to continue that level into the following season, and they've done it almost every single year.

On the Hopkins anecdotal level, their rightful enthusiasm for this season seems a bit stronger than that of Maryland's (by fans and some rankings), though the Terps blew them out on their home field without 3 all-american caliber players and a 4th who was at that level (McNaney, Malever, Zappitello and Coffman).

Terps offense should be fun to watch and several goals better than last year. Erksa has been ignored by the meaningless preseason awards lists. He plays a fearless, aggressive game like Keegan Khan, so hopefully he doesnt get beat down over the season, but I don't see why he can't be on the all-american list by May. Malever and Whittier should create some better looks this year for the shooters too. Stobaugh looks like a dangerous addition to the midfield; he looks even bigger than Spanos, with nice speed and a heavy shot.

Poles should be very good. SSDM's may not be a relative strength, but they usually end up good. And Dante would change that instantly. Ironically, the one aspect of the team that may be a concern could be face-offs. Maybe. 52 struggled a bit last year against great opponents, and didn't really stand out in a scrimmage. But he's been great and will go down as a Terp legend already.

All that enthusiasm noted, playing at Richmond in the opening game seems really dangerous. Surprised Tillman scheduled this way.
Last edited by keno in reno on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:38 am
All that enthusiasm noted, playing at Richmond in the opening game seems really dangerous. Surprised Tillman scheduled this way.
They're definitely on upset alert. Tills usually feels bad ahead every game, but there's extra concern and focus in the locker room this week. If they lose, it won't be because they overlooked Richmond.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Wheels wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:11 am
keno in reno wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:38 am
They're definitely on upset alert. Tills usually feels bad ahead every game, but there's extra concern and focus in the locker room this week. If they lose, it won't be because they overlooked Richmond.
I get a little bit of "Notre Dame 2023" energy from Maryland -- I think Terps are on a mission. Looking forward to a lot of high-intensity, great lacrosse this year.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

As expected I guess? Just sloppy passing, dropping easy passes. Lots of silly mistakes. Erska has a couple goals already but also some mindless turnovers from him. Hopefully that gets cleaned up. D started out slow and let up a few on unsettled situations but have tightened up a bit. Wierman warming up too.
TurfToeVictim

Post by TurfToeVictim »

It’s time to throw ruppel back in, mcnanney just cannot get the rust off.
WandL99

Post by WandL99 »

This Maryland offense is moving the ball better then any Maryland team in the last 10 years, they have such good chemistry they just need to stop hitting the goalie every time and they would be up big in this game. Richmond is also just wanting it more than Maryland that is why they are hanging around in this game
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Strong "it's very cold and woke up with bad back pain after sleeping on the wrong side of the bed last night" vibes to this one all day
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Woof. This is not looking like a top 10 team. No one looking dynamic/ like a game changer on offense. No one stands out and add on top of that silly turnovers/ missed shots in front of the goal makes this team not look like anything special. This is the first game so there is still a ton of time to change but just really unimpressive so far.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”