Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Live Game Action

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:25 pm In a lot of respects, wlax is a very difficult game to officiate. But illegal crosschecking is one of the easier fouls to spot and call, I think. Sometimes officials will call a game closely and whistle and then card illegal cross checks in the early part of the game. But not often.

You often hear complaints from the fans (I’m as guilty as anyone) if someone on the team you are rooting for gets carded for an illegal cross check.

We probably naïvely think that most crosschecks, at least where the attacker is facing the defender, aren’t all that dangerous. Oh, it’s just a bruise. Blah blah blah.

But this injury to the Yale player evidences how badly someone can be hurt by such a foul and perhaps should be a wake up call for all of us.
Agreed on all points, Bill. My sense is this is a Rubicon for the sport in some incremental way; it is either going to ramp up the violence -- and concomitant need for equipment -- or the rules will get enforced in a manner that retains the sport's essential elegance. If I want to watch women get hit in the midsection with pipes, I'll watch roller derby.

Doc, same here. I remember attending an officials meeting with coaches my kid's freshman year of high school (so, like 2012-13) and hearing the officials warn everyone about the point of emphasis.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:12 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:25 pm In a lot of respects, wlax is a very difficult game to officiate. But illegal crosschecking is one of the easier fouls to spot and call, I think. Sometimes officials will call a game closely and whistle and then card illegal cross checks in the early part of the game. But not often.

You often hear complaints from the fans (I’m as guilty as anyone) if someone on the team you are rooting for gets carded for an illegal cross check.

We probably naïvely think that most crosschecks, at least where the attacker is facing the defender, aren’t all that dangerous. Oh, it’s just a bruise. Blah blah blah.

But this injury to the Yale player evidences how badly someone can be hurt by such a foul and perhaps should be a wake up call for all of us.
Agreed on all points, Bill. My sense is this is a Rubicon for the sport in some incremental way; it is either going to ramp up the violence -- and concomitant need for equipment -- or the rules will get enforced in a manner that retains the sport's essential elegance. If I want to watch women get hit in the midsection with pipes, I'll watch roller derby.

Doc, same here. I remember attending an officials meeting with coaches my kid's freshman year of high school (so, like 2012-13) and hearing the officials warn everyone about the point of emphasis.
For all of the non-edumacated, I had to look that up.... :D :D

something that accompanies or is collaterally connected with something else
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:02 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:16 pm Not sure if anyone heard or not, but a Yale player was seriously injured in the 4th quarter of their game against Stony Brook.

Taylor Everson was cross-checked so hard that she lacerated her kidney. There was no ambulance on scene and she had to wait for over an hour before getting medical attention.

Her injury was so bad that the initial doctors wanted to remove the whole kidney.

Scary!!

Best wishes to Taylor on a speedy recovery!
Awful, but sort of inevitable, story. I can remember when the cross-check was going to be a point of emphasis for officials, and then, not so much. I don't think the horizontal stick needs to be outlawed, but the way some women wield the horizontal stick should be a serious discussion among coaches and officials. Best wishes to Ms. Everson.
+1000
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:15 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:45 pm
Sunnylax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:34 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:16 pm Not sure if anyone heard or not, but a Yale player was seriously injured in the 4th quarter of their game against Stony Brook.

Taylor Everson was cross-checked so hard that she lacerated her kidney. There was no ambulance on scene and she had to wait for over an hour before getting medical attention.

Her injury was so bad that the initial doctors wanted to remove the whole kidney.

Scary!!

Best wishes to Taylor on a speedy recovery!
Please tell me a red card was issued! Tired of seeing cross checks by SB teams.
Best wishes to Taylor!
Believe it or not there was no card on the play at all.
That's too bad. I watched a D3 game yesterday and one team was cross-checking (forceful extension), the other was engaging with the stick and maintaining contact. The team that engaged, won. It was apparent to me that the constant push from engagement was more effective in controlling the attacker than the rough hacking and bruising (and ice packs). It is possible to play within the rules, but that is rare to see.

Hopefully Taylor is going to have a full recovery.
Things may be different now, but IMO, cross checking is called much more often and much closer at the D2 & D3 levels than in D1. It almost felt like D1 was operating under different rules in that respect.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 am Question from someone who doesn't follow recruiting at all, you say Maryland is losing recruits to UNC and BC, where does Syracuse fall in there (yes, I know about Wurzburger)? I know if I were a talented young wlaxer and watched that coach play in the world tourney and watched the way that team plays the game, that's where I'd want to go play.
I don’t actually think that’s the case. 10 years ago Maryland was still doing what they do now - looking in-state. Sure, some MD kids went elsewhere, but the Terps got a decent amount of the talent. 10 years ago Taylor Cummings walked on campus after CR persuaded her to stay in-state and UMD had zero PA kids on the roster. IMO, I not think Marissa White would have been a “Maryland lock”. UNC has, for at least the last 10-15 years, had a “cool factor” that attracted recruits. Again, IMO, when Gait was HC, I think the number of players he and CR both recruited would be smaller than expected. Two very different styles. 10 years ago Cuse got Maryland native Erica Bodt.

When you look at incoming freshman 10 years ago, MD had something like 2 of the ILWomen top 10 and UNC had 4 or 5.

Recruits usually have other preferences besides “the best lacrosse program”.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote
Recruits usually have other preferences besides “the best lacrosse program.
Yup, and I get that. High 60s-low70s in Raliegh, still struggling to get out of the 30s in Cuse.
Couple of hours and you can be flounder fishing down there, here you can still be ice fishing.
Short shorts and a half T there, sweats and sweatshirts up here....girls just wanna have fun,
ya know. ;)
jff97

Post by jff97 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:46 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 am Question from someone who doesn't follow recruiting at all, you say Maryland is losing recruits to UNC and BC, where does Syracuse fall in there (yes, I know about Wurzburger)? I know if I were a talented young wlaxer and watched that coach play in the world tourney and watched the way that team plays the game, that's where I'd want to go play.
I don’t actually think that’s the case. 10 years ago Maryland was still doing what they do now - looking in-state. Sure, some MD kids went elsewhere, but the Terps got a decent amount of the talent. 10 years ago Taylor Cummings walked on campus after CR persuaded her to stay in-state and UMD had zero PA kids on the roster. IMO, I not think Marissa White would have been a “Maryland lock”. UNC has, for at least the last 10-15 years, had a “cool factor” that attracted recruits. Again, IMO, when Gait was HC, I think the number of players he and CR both recruited would be smaller than expected. Two very different styles. 10 years ago Cuse got Maryland native Erica Bodt.

When you look at incoming freshman 10 years ago, MD had something like 2 of the ILWomen top 10 and UNC had 4 or 5.

Recruits usually have other preferences besides “the best lacrosse program”.
So I also got curious after he said White would be an MD "lock" and you know how many PA natives have been on an MD team in Reese's 17 years as head coach? FOUR. That sure doesn't sound like a situation where she definitely would've gone there and got away. The rosters historically have been mainly in-state kids, kids from NY and a few from NJ. That's changing a little with their current '23 and '24 classes, but that's mainly been the blue print.

I guess if you want to see if their recruiting has slipped, you would have to try to find in-state kids who were almost certain to stay home in the past. But that can be tricky too. Yes, it's in a hotbed area, but you're always going to have a certain amount of kids who will just swear off the school for whatever reason.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:20 pm For all of the non-edumacated, I had to look that up.... :D :D

Seacoaster is a little Howard Cosellish in that respect, can pick up some nice words from him.
Inexorable.....I don't have to look that one up anymore.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:34 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:20 pm For all of the non-edumacated, I had to look that up.... :D :D

Seacoaster is a little Howard Cosellish in that respect, can pick up some nice words from him.
I'm a little worried about being "a little Howard Cosell'ish. But I'll survive.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Am waiting for “Down goes [Syr finals opponent]. Down goes [Syr finals opponent]. Down goes [Syr finals opponent].”

Don’t think sea wears a toup. ;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:40 am
DMac wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:34 am

I'm a little worried about being "a little Howard Cosell'ish. But I'll survive.
I was going to put, "in strictly a vocabulary sense" in parenthesis but i figured the "in that respect" covered it.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:39 am Am waiting for “Down goes [Syr finals opponent]. Down goes [Syr finals opponent]. Down goes [Syr finals opponent].”

:twisted:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:56 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:39 am Am waiting for “Down goes [Syr finals opponent]. Down goes [Syr finals opponent]. Down goes [Syr finals opponent].”

:twisted:
No toup!!!!!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:10 am
wlaxphan20 wrote
Recruits usually have other preferences besides “the best lacrosse program.
Yup, and I get that. High 60s-low70s in Raliegh, still struggling to get out of the 30s in Cuse.
Couple of hours and you can be flounder fishing down there, here you can still be ice fishing.
Short shorts and a half T there, sweats and sweatshirts up here....girls just wanna have fun,
ya know. ;)
Isn't it usually 60s-70s in the Dome? :lol:

Even besides weather, lots of factors.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Anyone buying into UVA this year? I think it is the same old song different tune.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:26 pm Anyone buying into UVA this year? I think it is the same old song different tune.
Have posted about it a few times, but I have tentatively, very tentatively, bought in. Or at least had some cautiously high hopes
user1020

Post by user1020 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:41 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:26 pm Anyone buying into UVA this year? I think it is the same old song different tune.
Have posted about it a few times, but I have tentatively, very tentatively, bought in. Or at least had some cautiously high hopes
I think they’re getting a seed in NCAA tourney. They’ll lose big though in the quarterfinals. Losses to UNC, SU, BC. Split Notre Dane and Duke.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Sbu down 7-4 at half. Stanford looks pretty good
sanelaxparent

Post by sanelaxparent »

It's hard to watch how rough and dangerous the SB players are in this third quarter. Stanford players getting hit in the face with sticks, being crosschecked etc. refs look like they have lost control . Great game but they should enforce the rules for contact.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

sanelaxparent wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:42 pm It's hard to watch how rough and dangerous the SB players are in this third quarter. Stanford players getting hit in the face with sticks, being crosschecked etc. refs look like they have lost control . Great game but they should enforce the rules for contact.
Watch the SBU vs Yale game for some real rough play.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”