Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:34 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:15 pm Gait R Hand is classic. Another good one would be - GaitsBentPOLE. People don’t realize he created different things in lax- M & W. The offset head, the helmet, the women’s stx. The bent pole was such an advantage. Like today with these crab nets, you could not get the ball out. I was on attack, he ran by me near the midfield line, and I said to myself- his pole is bent.
He musta had really short shorts if you could see that his pole is bent. 😉😂😂
He stepped on it.
“I wish you would!”
Finster

Post by Finster »

Mike Powell’s speech at his Jersey ceremony is just a master class in humility, decency, and friendship. What a great guy.

My hope is Syracuse attracts more like him.
molo

Post by molo »

He had me at Dylan, Willie, and Prine.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:42 pm Mike Powell’s speech at his Jersey ceremony is just a master class in humility, decency, and friendship. What a great guy.

My hope is Syracuse attracts more like him.
They showed a short highlight clip at the game which included the first play here where Mikey gets the ball before it goes OOB.
To me that play shows what crazy ability he had to stop and change direction, it was just ridiculous....not a bad scoop either. I never liked the flip and shot play, was at that game, thought it was nonsense...then he hits the D man in the head on the shot and the ball goes OOB. Not Mikey's finest moment IMO. Was recently going back and forth with a guy who was telling me he did a back flip and scored on the play and there's even a picture of it in the Dome. There's a picture in there of Mikey in mid air in there but he aint doin' no back flip. Pretty amazing how stories change over time.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/J8Y43x8z0P0
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is the Spallina whining not similar to Mikey Powell and his flips?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Finster

Post by Finster »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 am Is the Spallina whining not similar to Mikey Powell and his flips?

That’s a good question, but for me, no they’re not similar. I can see some people thinking it.

Mike Powell won the Turnbull award four years in a row. That’s insane. I don’t think Spallina will get that.

In any event, I just think the world of Mike and his acceptance speech the other day is simply perfect. Any Syracuse alum, fan, or coach knew how great a kid he was when he played. Total class.

Probably few here know it, but Mike is also an accomplished musician.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 am Is the Spallina whining not similar to Mikey Powell and his flips?
I don't know how you even make this connection/comparison.
Spallina has played 8 games and you've labeled him a whiner?
Not seeing that, sounds like an extremely weak excuse to take
a shot at Spallina to me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 am Probably few here know it, but Mike is also an accomplished musician.
Can't tell you this with 100% certainty but will tell you it comes from a pretty reliable source. My redneck son who has a little paradise in Savanah (enter at your own risk, can get a little nuts out there) said he thinks Mikey bought a building out there and is turning it into a recording studio. Son is not a big sports nut (a lacrosse fan but doesn't follow it...played as a kid) but he came down for the Hop-Cuse game. Was telling him that Mikey doesn't have a whole lot to do with lacrosse anymore and is now a musician, has a band, has done gigs for a lot of years now. He said that must be the guy my buddy was telling me about, he's the guy building the studio for him. He said he was telling him the guy he's doing the work for was a big lacrosse guy and Gary Gait was out there checking the place out with Mikey not too long ago. I gotta believe that's happening.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:53 am
I don't know how you even make this connection/comparison.
Spallina has played 8 games and you've labeled him a whiner?
Not seeing that, sounds like an extremely weak excuse to take
a shot at Spallina to me.
Whining meaning everyone saying he’s not a team player, selfish etc. There was a lot of that back when Powell was early in his career to.

Was that not clear or you just ready to jump on everyone who types “Spallina”?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 am

That’s a good question, but for me, no they’re not similar. I can see some people thinking it.

Mike Powell won the Turnbull award four years in a row. That’s insane. I don’t think Spallina will get that.

In any event, I just think the world of Mike and his acceptance speech the other day is simply perfect. Any Syracuse alum, fan, or coach knew how great a kid he was when he played. Total class.

Probably few here know it, but Mike is also an accomplished musician.
You understood what Dmac didn’t in my question immediately which at least tells me I’m not fully crazy.

Guess who else is a musician, classically trained pianist?

Flavor Flaaaav! Yeah boyeee!

https://wbssmedia.com/artists/detail/356
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:17 am Whining meaning everyone saying he’s not a team player, selfish etc. There was a lot of that back when Powell was early in his career to.

Nope, obviously not clear to me (complaining might have been a better word). Sorry, my bad.
Don't really care what anyone says about Spallina, no doubt I'll respond if it's unwarranted BS
though.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:28 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:17 am Whining meaning everyone saying he’s not a team player, selfish etc. There was a lot of that back when Powell was early in his career to.

Nope, obviously not clear to me (complaining might have been a better word). Sorry, my bad.
Don't really care what anyone says about Spallina, no doubt I'll respond if it's unwarranted BS
though.
Which it wasn't and at least one other dude got that - would you really have reacted differently to the same sentence structure had I of simply "control H'd" "whining" and "complaining"?

But if unclear the question is, are there similarities to the allegations of "selfish" etc when M Powell was young to Spallina? Finster thinks no. Fair question and would make the compalainers look foolish if the answer is yes, so you should support the question being raised in general.

Of course you're view on the difference between 18-19 and 22 (or earlier since you've been "complaining" about Dordevic for a while) is interesting to explore as well..
DMac

Post by DMac »

I can't say that I really remember all that much complaining about Mikey being selfish. No doubt there was by some but nowhere near the abuse Spallina took after his first game. Truth be told, many of the shots he took in that game were good shots that just didn't go in. Taking the same shots today and they are. Mikey was a showboat, a bit of a hot dog and damn sure good enough to pull it off. He was fantastic but no doubt there were some/many who didn't like his style. I don't remember anybody going nuts when they gave him the jersey as a freshman like they have with the new #22 either.
As for the Dordevic comparison, there is none as far as I'm concerned. Eight games into the season and the freshman trails the super star senior's (his last year at Cuse) total output of assists for the entire season by one while he led the ACC in shots. Spallina has a pretty high percentage of putting shots in the cage too, unlike the super star senior did/does (4 of 17 is about the norm for him...oh with no assists too). I don't see much of a comparison between these two, Joey is playing nothing like Tucker did, the ball doesn't die in his stick, he's looking for open players, not forcing shots when they're not there...not shooting from near mid field either.
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:59 am I can't say that I really remember all that much complaining about Mikey being selfish. No doubt there was by some but nowhere near the abuse Spallina took after his first game. Truth be told, many of the shots he took in that game were good shots that just didn't go in. Taking the same shots today and they are. Mikey was a showboat, a bit of a hot dog and damn sure good enough to pull it off. He was fantastic but no doubt there were some/many who didn't like his style. I don't remember anybody going nuts when they gave him the jersey as a freshman like they have with the new #22 either.
As for the Dordevic comparison, there is none as far as I'm concerned. Eight games into the season and the freshman trails the super star senior's (his last year at Cuse) total output of assists for the entire season by one while he led the ACC in shots. Spallina has a pretty high percentage of putting shots in the cage too, unlike the super star senior did/does (4 of 17 is about the norm for him...oh with no assists too). I don't see much of a comparison between these two, Joey is playing nothing like Tucker did, the ball doesn't die in his stick, he's looking for open players, not forcing shots when they're not there...not shooting from near mid field either.

I was probably too harsh on Spallina initially and I apologize for it. I think he’s rapidly growing into the role, much more than I had incorrectly assumed. I want nothing but the best for him.

I simply miss the days of Mike Powell. The guy was and is an outstanding human being. The best. Obviously an incredible lacrosse player, but an even better person.
lorin

Post by lorin »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:59 am I can't say that I really remember all that much complaining about Mikey being selfish. No doubt there was by some but nowhere near the abuse Spallina took after his first game. Truth be told, many of the shots he took in that game were good shots that just didn't go in. Taking the same shots today and they are. Mikey was a showboat, a bit of a hot dog and damn sure good enough to pull it off. He was fantastic but no doubt there were some/many who didn't like his style. I don't remember anybody going nuts when they gave him the jersey as a freshman like they have with the new #22 either.
[/quote

Dordevic put up 5g against Maryland and Duke last year, take a poll of AA D poles who would they rather guard Dordevic or Spallini not even close. Joey great lax IQ and stick but will never be athetic enough against AA D poles guys.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:05 pm

I was probably too harsh on Spallina initially and I apologize for it. I think he’s rapidly growing into the role, much more than I had incorrectly assumed. I want nothing but the best for him.

I simply miss the days of Mike Powell. The guy was and is an outstanding human being. The best. Obviously an incredible lacrosse player, but an even better person.
I was thinking more of the guy below you but all good.

15 shots firing hot out of the gate is attention getting for sure. Looks like he may just have been warming his grip up there though.

The real comparison might be Dordevic and Percovic at ND...
DMac

Post by DMac »

lorin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:21 pm
lorin wrote
Dordevic put up 5g against Maryland and Duke last year, take a poll of AA D poles who would they rather guard Dordevic or Spallini not even close. Joey great lax IQ and stick but will never be athetic enough against AA D poles guys.
BFD, took 22 shots v Duke, managed to put 10 on cage, 5 went in. Helluva percentage.
Md AA poles must've given him hell, only managed 8 shots, put 6 on cage, 5 went in. Unusual day
for the HM AA,
If we're choosing teams in the yard and I'm going first, no worries, I'll leave Dordevic for you.
You're figuring Joey won't improve beyond his freshman year, eh? Time will tell.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Spillina had a bunch of points the other night, a few layups but OK... expected.

What's praiseworthy are the CTs (at least 2) when he was riding... Let's see more of that against a UVa and/or ND.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, six assists in the last two games, he's looking and hitting the open man. Been the beneficiary of a couple of layups on EMOs but putting in some nice shots too, he and Hiltz play very well together. Very nice CTOs on the ride, the grasshopper is catching on.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Love MP, but too many highlights were against another team wearing orange! Although, in his speech he did give his jersey to a lot of people! Took Mikey golfing one time, he never had formal instruction and plays very little, but his ball striking was remarkable and he had great touch around the green…really a phenomenal athletic talent and a good songwriter, too. Taught himself to play guitar, makes furniture—I know he can cook, too!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”