Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
elonmuskrockefeller

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

Most conservatives still trust Elon Musk far more than the Orwellian DHS “Disinformation Board” made up by censorship-obsessed Democrats.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:08 pm

Most conservatives still trust Elon Musk far more than the Orwellian DHS “Disinformation Board” made up by censorship-obsessed Democrats.
And?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

I predict blue balls for Ellie.

“The outlet further reported that Musk planned to start charging for Twitter “blue check mark” verification by next week.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Word on the street is that Musk will can 50% of the Twitter staff tomorrow (Friday) and require all employees to return to office ending remote work.

https://www.axios.com/2022/11/03/musk-t ... -to-office

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/02/twitter ... 1667438109

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/03/op-ed-w ... itter.html

Isn't it ironic that they guy who is worried about anonymous bots wants to now charge people who are willing to self-identify and who will now opt out of that. :oops:
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:09 am Word on the street is that Musk will can 50% of the Twitter staff tomorrow (Friday) and require all employees to return to office ending remote work.

Isn't it ironic that they guy who is worried about anonymous bots wants to now charge people who are willing to self-identify and who will now opt out of that. :oops:
bots do work for the algorithm...
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:32 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:09 am Word on the street is that Musk will can 50% of the Twitter staff tomorrow (Friday) and require all employees to return to office ending remote work.

The hatred for Musk confuses me like nothing else. It is extremely short-sighted, not to mention simply way off the mark.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A common occurrence when new leadership comes in. Get rid of the dead wood.

And despite the projections from the left about losing a "safe space," and as Brookie's post illustrates, not much has really changed at Twitter.

Another:
Twitter re-bans white nationalist Nick Fuentes after he makes new account.

Twitter also suspended far-right radio host Stew Peters again on Friday after he tried to return to the platform.

"Twitter’s policies haven’t changed. Hateful conduct has no place here. And we’re taking steps to put a stop to an organized effort to make people think we have," Yoel Roth, Twitter's head of safety and integrity, said in a tweet Sunday.

"Over the last 48 hours, we’ve seen a small number of accounts post a ton of Tweets that include slurs and other derogatory terms. To give you a sense of scale: More than 50,000 Tweets repeatedly using a particular slur came from just 300 accounts," he added.

"Nearly all of these accounts are inauthentic. We’ve banned the users involved in this trolling campaign — and are going to continue working to address this in the days to come to make Twitter safe and welcoming for everyone."
https://www.axios.com/2022/10/30/twitte ... ew-account
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:16 am

The hatred for Musk confuses me like nothing else. It is extremely short-sighted, not to mention simply way off the mark.
Speaking solely for myself, I feel zero "hatred" for Musk.
I've expressed considerable admiration for his entrepreneurship, and said he's certainly a 'genius'...but this does not make him infallible, nor does it make him a nice or good guy. Making allowances for his spectrum disorder, he appears to have considerable difficulty assessing and empathizing with other's feelings. Indeed, in the face of such, he repeatedly makes significant errors. Some of these errors cost him personally, some cost others, including the public good.

So, we can separate his various acts based on their actual benefits or costs to the public good on their own merits rather than giving him the presumption of always making choices that are going to be successful, either for him personally or for the public good.

In the case of his campaign for unfettered, unregulated, "free" speech, with no liability to the speaker or the publisher of such speech, there are considerable costs to the public good...there may also be some positives, but he's chosen, repeatedly, to promote the notion that hate speech, speech inciting violence, speech that hurts others, speech that is provably false and damaging, speech that is illegal in financial markets, should not only be allowed, the platform which publishes and profits from it should be able to preferentially amplify such speech that draws the most attention, whether outrage or agreement...in other words promote most that which damages most...for profit.

And this appears to not simply be ideological, but rather a matter of ego...he wishes to be able to do and say whatever he himself wants without consequence to him, without liability to him.

And he wants this so much, he was willing to make an outlandishly high bid to acquire control of his preferred platform, with the at least apparent hubris that he alone could accomplish what he imagined would enable him to do what we wants.

I hope he loses his personal shirt if he persists with this hubris, so great is the public harm of this approach.

But I hope more that he soon realizes that it is not something he can 'win' at and instead pivots back to where he excels, industrial engineering. In that area he has accomplished (yes with lots of government support and involvement) quite important public good...and I think he has much more he can do if he doesn't squander his time, energy and talents on an ego escapade.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:32 am A common occurrence when new leadership comes in. Get rid of the dead wood.

And despite the projections from the left about losing a "safe space," and as Brookie's post illustrates, not much has really changed at Twitter.

Another:

Twitter also suspended far-right radio host Stew Peters again on Friday after he tried to return to the platform.

"Twitter’s policies haven’t changed. Hateful conduct has no place here. And we’re taking steps to put a stop to an organized effort to make people think we have," Yoel Roth, Twitter's head of safety and integrity, said in a tweet Sunday.

"Over the last 48 hours, we’ve seen a small number of accounts post a ton of Tweets that include slurs and other derogatory terms. To give you a sense of scale: More than 50,000 Tweets repeatedly using a particular slur came from just 300 accounts," he added.

"Nearly all of these accounts are inauthentic. We’ve banned the users involved in this trolling campaign — and are going to continue working to address this in the days to come to make Twitter safe and welcoming for everyone."
How long will Yoel Roth keep his job?
Would him getting the axe change your view of what is or is not "dead wood"?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

:mrgreen: in
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:52 am
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:16 am

Speaking solely for myself, I feel zero "hatred" for Musk.
I've expressed considerable admiration for his entrepreneurship, and said he's certainly a 'genius'...but this does not make him infallible, nor does it make him a nice or good guy. Making allowances for his spectrum disorder, he appears to have considerable difficulty assessing and empathizing with other's feelings. Indeed, in the face of such, he repeatedly makes significant errors. Some of these errors cost him personally, some cost others, including the public good.

So, we can separate his various acts based on their actual benefits or costs to the public good on their own merits rather than giving him the presumption of always making choices that are going to be successful, either for him personally or for the public good.

In the case of his campaign for unfettered, unregulated, "free" speech, with no liability to the speaker or the publisher of such speech, there are considerable costs to the public good...there may also be some positives, but he's chosen, repeatedly, to promote the notion that hate speech, speech inciting violence, speech that hurts others, speech that is provably false and damaging, speech that is illegal in financial markets, should not only be allowed, the platform which publishes and profits from it should be able to preferentially amplify such speech that draws the most attention, whether outrage or agreement...in other words promote most that which damages most...for profit.

And this appears to not simply be ideological, but rather a matter of ego...he wishes to be able to do and say whatever he himself wants without consequence to him, without liability to him.

And he wants this so much, he was willing to make an outlandishly high bid to acquire control of his preferred platform, with the at least apparent hubris that he alone could accomplish what he imagined would enable him to do what we wants.

I hope he loses his personal shirt if he persists with this hubris, so great is the public harm of this approach.

But I hope more that he soon realizes that it is not something he can 'win' at and instead pivots back to where he excels, industrial engineering. In that area he has accomplished (yes with lots of government support and involvement) quite important public good...and I think he has much more he can do if he doesn't squander his time, energy and talents on an ego escapade.
Not for nothing MD but when your as wealthy as Musk is I doubt he can care less about what anyone on this planet thinks about him. Bill Gates is equally as much of a freak as Musk is. I don't read a whole lot of disparaging comments about him or his very odd behavior.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:00 am Not for nothing MD but when your as wealthy as Musk is I doubt he can care less about what anyone on this planet thinks about him. Bill Gates is equally as much of a freak as Musk is. I don't read a whole lot of disparaging comments about him or his very odd behavior.
Gates is the polar opposite of Musk and rarely speaks publicly. He does support many issues and when he has something to say about them he sometimes does. Not often.

Elon, on the other hand cannot shut up. :oops:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:02 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:00 am Not for nothing MD but when your as wealthy as Musk is I doubt he can care less about what anyone on this planet thinks about him. Bill Gates is equally as much of a freak as Musk is. I don't read a whole lot of disparaging comments about him or his very odd behavior.
Gates is the polar opposite of Musk and rarely speaks publicly. He does support many issues and when he has something to say about them he sometimes does. Not often.

And those are the ones you need to worry about. I'd trust musk 100x over Gates.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:02 am

The same thing IMO holds true for both Gates and Musk. They are wealthy enough that both men don't give a rats rump about what people think of them. Why should they care?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:38 pm I predict blue balls for Ellie.

“The outlet further reported that Musk planned to start charging for Twitter “blue check mark” verification by next week.”
Yep, Elon is selling "free speech" for $8 per month. :lol: :lol: :lol: He should rebrand it. Musk speech. Trump would, it will be Trump speech soon and we will have 10s of millions of morons who will buy it.

... now for a lesson in reality. Twitter must charge a subscription fee in order to make any money, to stay in business. Musk is not a fool. Advertisers are already bolting. Many if not most won't be coming back. GM is not going to re-up, they are not going to spend money funding their competitor.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:56 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:32 am A common occurrence when new leadership comes in. Get rid of the dead wood.

Another:

How long will Yoel Roth keep his job?
Would him getting the axe change your view of what is or is not "dead wood"?
I don't know.

No. Dead wood can manifest itself a lot of different ways. And execs are more than one decision they make. They have a trickle down effect on the workplace, their direct reports, their non-reports, and the company image.

One exec at our company saw himself as a good guy. Didnt realize that his shadow, and career (even prior to our company), and general demeanor and decisions hurt morale at the office. It hurt how the company as a whole was viewed, and the ability to win new work and accounts. The best thing that ever happened was the owner realizing it and "suggesting" he retire. ASAP.

Office life changed post pandemic. And it's shifting once again. Return to the workplace is real. Execs want the offices/cubes they are paying for used. It's been my general observation that the ones who are adamant about not coming in, ever, are the ones who ARE dead wood. Work CAN be accomplished at home. But the reality is - a surefire way to be viewed as dead wood by execs is to NEVER show your face and fight the times your boss asks you to appear. You can't build a team or be a part of a team if you're not with the team.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:46 am

Yep, Elon is selling free speech for $8 per month. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Huh?

The blue checks don't give you free speech. They just signal a verified, identified account/person. They were awarded before by a mysterious internal process. Now anyone can get one if they have $8/mos and verify with documentation.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:56 am

Huh?

The blue checks don't give you free speech. They just signal a verified, identified account/person. They were awarded before by a mysterious internal process. Now anyone can get one if they have $8/mos and verify with documentation.
:roll: I know perfectly well what he claims he is selling for $8.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:05 am

Huh?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the unknown verification process, as it was previously done, amplifying some accounts, and why it was good for the platform. Because it seems like you are disgruntled about something you aren't really well-informed about.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:07 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:05 am

Huh?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the unknown verification process, as it was previously done, amplifying some accounts, and why it was good for the platform. Because it seems like you are disgruntled about something you aren't really well-informed about.
I do not belong to or make use, never have, of any public social media app. It has been clear from day one what these apps are. Believe it or not there are a lot of people that live their lives without the need for these apps. Politics has nothing to do with it, bad ideas has everything to do with it.

To answer your question, I believe that he will require validation of all users. His most influential users are opposed to paying a fee for this service of little value. They feel he should be paying them -- his content developers to use "his" system. The financial model for these systems, not just Twitter are falling apart. I really think you are seeing the beginning of the end of these type of apps. Their best days are behind them.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Yep, Elon is selling "free speech" for $8 per month. :lol: :lol: :lol: He should rebrand it. Musk speech. Trump would, it will be Trump speech soon and we will have 10s of millions of morons who will buy it.

... now for a lesson in reality. Twitter must charge a subscription fee in order to make any money, to stay in business. Musk is not a fool. Advertisers are already bolting. Many if not most won't be coming back. GM is not going to re-up, they are not going to spend money funding their competitor.
In as much as the "social media" seems a derivative of the pamphlets of the political ecosystem of the pre-Revolutonary colonies, they are probably inevitable and of some social utility. Twitter, and other cesspools, are too subject to manipulation and should probably die. Pamphlets required a fair amount of effort and expense, which winnowed out a lot of the trivial and inane. "Free" mechanisms (not really free but that is another discussion) for social interaction quickly devolve to the lowest common denominator. While interesting for academics as a measure of the cultural zeitgeist and as a barometer of political trends, I see no further utility that would explain the enormous expenditure of capital, both monetary and human required to sustain them. They are like giant, bloated ticks feeding on the body politic. Pop them.

Return to “POLITICS”