Post by PhanLax99 »

The rest of the Big 10 would love that!
DMac

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by DMac »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:43 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:40 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:37 am
lacrossenut99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:20 am Like the Klaes and Kelly options. Make them say no.

If they go outside the box, how much to get Taylor Cummings to move to Columbus?
I don’t think she’s looking to coach in college, but I don’t know her personally. She’s recently married, owns a home in MD, and seems happy with the HC position at McDonogh, her own brand, color commentating, doing private lessons, etc. But I guess you should never say never?
I take this back, based on her last Instagram post Cummings just resigned as the Mcdonogh HC
The plot has definitely thickened https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... v9ySFxc_Jo
Actually, I'd bet the story is over. Way too coincidental that TC has stepped down here.
From what I understand this is a very lucrative position. Probably a fairly significant pay
raise involved here.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

lacrossenut99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:20 am Like the Klaes and Kelly options. Make them say no.

If they go outside the box, how much to get Taylor Cummings to move to Columbus?
ZERO chance they go after TC - she is no where near qualified...period.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

No where near qualified for the OSU job?
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

lax410 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:17 am No where near qualified for the OSU job?
Deemer would be more qualified than TC in my opinion.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

lax410 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:17 am No where near qualified for the OSU job?
Correct. No college coach experience at all would be the definition of “no where near qualified for a Big Ten head coaching job.”
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:04 pm
Correct. No college coach experience at all would be the definition of “no where near qualified for a Big Ten head coaching job.”
There is so much more than coaching acumen to run a college program- especially a high profile B10 team. Budget, staffing and personal management to name a few. TC has an incredible resume and I believe she is an excellent coach but going from blue chip high school to OSU would be a monumental leap. Stranger things have been done, see Shannon Smith, college player to Hofstra head coach.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Amy Patton just won her third D3 NCAA Championship as an asst at Middlebury. Does she ever get another crack at a Head Coaching gig?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dasher wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:46 am Amy Patton just won her third D3 NCAA Championship as an asst at Middlebury. Does she ever get another crack at a Head Coaching gig?
I wonder if she would even want another D1 head coaching job. Coaching with Livesay at Middlebury has to be a pretty comfortable and enriching gig. Middlebury is almost certain to be in contention for the title next year too.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ampionship
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:38 am
TNLAX wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:52 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:07 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:45 pm
TNLAX wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:31 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:23 pm I appreciate all the outside the box thinking here.

But are we really suggesting The Ohio State University AD hire a 30 something man with no head coaching experience, who is currently coaching at the high school level, to be the next head coach of his Big Ten women’s lacrosse program? What kind of message, among others, does that send to all the female assistants/female mid major head coaches about their ability to climb the ladder? I thought athletics was the great meritocracy?

I am sure Deemer is great (actually I am not sure, just saying that to be diplomatic) but there are dozens of other female coaches out there way more qualifier and deserving of this job.

Remember the OSU AD let go of Amy for not meeting expectations. Sounds to me like he is taking it seriously there.

If I were him, I would drive to West Point NY or High Point NC and not leave until the head coach there signs on the dotted line. But what do I know?
Just don’t think there are “dozens of other female coaches out there way more qualified and deserving of this job”

There just are not that many really good college coaches out there IMHO.
Spallina interviewed for OSU job in 2019 so he may be intrigued by it.
I am sorry you feel that way. During my tenure in coaching, I worked with a number of coaches still in the game who were terrific and deserving of this opportunity. To see it go to a male with no head coaching experience who isn’t even coaching collegiately at the moment would be disappointing. If Ohio State fired Nick Myers, would they hire a female high school coach with no head coaching experience? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. So why don’t we think of hiring Deemer Class as being ridiculous?
The more I read your comment, the more irritated I get. Do you really believe there are not many good coaches out there? I know the world’s had a tough few years, but come on.
Please don’t be irritated. My comment is “ really good coaches”, not good coaches, there is a difference and it is why I used the word “really”.

We seem to be in agreement that the OSU job is a really good job opportunity offering high pay and exposure. Coaching in the Big10 is different than coaching in the ASUN.

Why have so few teams in the past 20 years been contenders for a Natiional Championship? Is it the lack of talent on the field or is it lack of really good coaching? There are lots of really good schools that have women’s lacrosse programs but only a small handful have won National Championships.

For what it is worth, I don’t have the skill sets to be a really good coach or even a good coach and I respect the people who are doing a good job in the college ranks and all levels of the game.

I have no inside info, but I know the culture and mindset at OSU, especially for non-revenue sports. I will be shocked if their new hire isn't an existing top 20 head coach. This will likely be one of the highest paying job in women's lacrosse and OSU will use that to get the right person.

My guess is that Spallina, Kelly and Klaes are at the top of their list, though I agree none of them are likely to want to leave their own situations which pretty guarantees them lifetime employment.

I think more likely candidates are Halfpenny (which I've mentioned before), Tumulo, Adams and Drummond.
Spallina interviewed for OSU job in 2019 so may be intrigued by the opportunity.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hofstrapride1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:21 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:23 pm I appreciate all the outside the box thinking here.

But are we really suggesting The Ohio State University AD hire a 30 something man with no head coaching experience, who is currently coaching at the high school level, to be the next head coach of his Big Ten women’s lacrosse program? What kind of message, among others, does that send to all the female assistants/female mid major head coaches about their ability to climb the ladder? I thought athletics was the great meritocracy?

I am sure Deemer is great (actually I am not sure, just saying that to be diplomatic) but there are dozens of other female coaches out there way more qualifier and deserving of this job.

Remember the OSU AD let go of Amy for not meeting expectations. Sounds to me like he is taking it seriously there.

If I were him, I would drive to West Point NY or High Point NC and not leave until the head coach there signs on the dotted line. But what do I know?
Just don’t think there are “dozens of other female coaches out there way more qualified and deserving of this job”

I am sorry you feel that way. During my tenure in coaching, I worked with a number of coaches still in the game who were terrific and deserving of this opportunity. To see it go to a male with no head coaching experience who isn’t even coaching collegiately at the moment would be disappointing. If Ohio State fired Nick Myers, would they hire a female high school coach with no head coaching experience? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. So why don’t we think of hiring Deemer Class as being ridiculous?
The more I read your comment, the more irritated I get. Do you really believe there are not many good coaches out there? I know the world’s had a tough few years, but come on.
Please don’t be irritated. My comment is “ really good coaches”, not good coaches, there is a difference and it is why I used the word “really”.

We seem to be in agreement that the OSU job is a really good job opportunity offering high pay and exposure. Coaching in the Big10 is different than coaching in the ASUN.

Why have so few teams in the past 20 years been contenders for a Natiional Championship? Is it the lack of talent on the field or is it lack of really good coaching? There are lots of really good schools that have women’s lacrosse programs but only a small handful have won National Championships.

For what it is worth, I don’t have the skill sets to be a really good coach or even a good coach and I respect the people who are doing a good job in the college ranks and all levels of the game.

I have no inside info, but I know the culture and mindset at OSU, especially for non-revenue sports. I will be shocked if their new hire isn't an existing top 20 head coach. This will likely be one of the highest paying job in women's lacrosse and OSU will use that to get the right person.

My guess is that Spallina, Kelly and Klaes are at the top of their list, though I agree none of them are likely to want to leave their own situations which pretty guarantees them lifetime employment.

I think more likely candidates are Halfpenny (which I've mentioned before), Tumulo, Adams and Drummond.
Spallina interviewed for OSU job in 2019 so may be intrigued by the opportunity.

Sideline rumor at USA Lax tourney this weekend was that they met with Cathy Reese last week to feel out interest. Can't see her actually going, but shows OSU is aiming high.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

If I had to put down a bet on who Ohio State goes with, I think I am going to go with a MD assistant.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

tothedraw wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:36 pm
There is so much more than coaching acumen to run a college program- especially a high profile B10 team. Budget, staffing and personal management to name a few. TC has an incredible resume and I believe she is an excellent coach but going from blue chip high school to OSU would be a monumental leap. Stranger things have been done, see Shannon Smith, college player to Hofstra head coach.
And how has that worked out for Hofstra so far?
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Brownlax wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:53 am
tothedraw wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:36 pm
And how has that worked out for Hofstra so far?
I didn't suggest it worked. I said stranger things have been done.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Correct - every college assistant in NCAA D1 is more qualified. That is roughly 240 coaches that are MORE QUALIFIED than TC so hence…

Not qualified.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:07 am
hofstrapride1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:21 am

Sideline rumor at USA Lax tourney this weekend was that they met with Cathy Reese last week to feel out interest. Can't see her actually going, but shows OSU is aiming high.
Would be biggest coaching change since Cindy Timchal left for Navy.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

PhanLax99 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:39 am If I had to put down a bet on who Ohio State goes with, I think I am going to go with a MD assistant.
Just knowing how OSU thinks I will be shocked if they hire a coaching without proven head coaching experience. For 500k/year, they won't have a shortage of candidates.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:02 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:39 am If I had to put down a bet on who Ohio State goes with, I think I am going to go with a MD assistant.
Just knowing how OSU thinks I will be shocked if they hire a coaching without proven head coaching experience. For 500k/year, they won't have a shortage of candidates.
Bokker’s salary was $210k. I highly doubt they are bringing in a new coach and offering them $500k. That would be quite the investment in the program 😂
harflax

Post by harflax »

Cathy Reese's son is on the Maryland men's team, her husband coaches high school in MD with his daughter on the team, and Cathy does extremely well financially from her well attended camps at Maryland. I do not see her leaving.

Now for assistant coach Lauri Kenis, I think it would be a good move for her, and a great hire at Ohio State. She is well-liked, has been a mainstay in Maryland's success with some great defenses, and has served as their lead in recruiting.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

harflax wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:11 pm Cathy Reese's son is on the Maryland men's team, her husband coaches high school in MD with his daughter on the team, and Cathy does extremely well financially from her well attended camps at Maryland. I do not see her leaving.

Now for assistant coach Lauri Kenis, I think it would be a good move for her, and a great hire at Ohio State. She is well-liked, has been a mainstay in Maryland's success with some great defenses, and has served as their lead in recruiting.
Yeah the thought that Cathy Reese would actually leave Maryland is laughable. Kenis is interesting, but I'd have to imagine she's gotten offers before and stayed put.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”