Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by DMac »

Bartman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:22 am
By the way, the SU security was a bit over the top in front of our student section (that were troutless), just waiting to pounce on any excessive exuberance and putting a damper on the experience....it made me want to go to a fish store at half time and give them a piece of 1970's nostalgia. :lol:
You guys need to switch to sitting on the other side, you'll find plenty of seats closer to the 50 yd line and you might throw the security folks (who I find to be a PITA as well) a curve. Plus you can come and say hello to me. Hell, it's worth it just for that.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

The more I think about it, the happier I am with the SU game. It was the best possible team for us to play at that moment and really sent us a loud message about what our strengths and weaknesses are. Putting up 13 on SU is good, and the distribution of those goals is even better. D needs work ... both ssdm and close D. And though we played tight for 3, the 4th really highlighted weaknesses with clears, turnovers, fatigued decision making, and our tendency to one on one play when the going gets tough.
My fear now is that the schedule, aside from SU, hasn't allowed for that work. Binghamton is always a chippy game, and I hope it isn't a slow slog like the series was a few years ago. Honestly, it brings us nothing. A loss would be soul crushing, but a win doesn't bring much confidence. I wish our early SOS was stronger. After Binghamton it is a crazy up down RoMo ... real danger as the first NEC game. Wish we could play a relatively local team like Bucknell, Lehigh, or Albany early. More tests like Friday would help us.
Yes ... one game at a time. But would still like a greater mix early.
gt4623

Post by gt4623 »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:06 pm The more I think about it, the happier I am with the SU game. It was the best possible team for us to play at that moment and really sent us a loud message about what our strengths and weaknesses are. Putting up 13 on SU is good, and the distribution of those goals is even better. D needs work ... both ssdm and close D. And though we played tight for 3, the 4th really highlighted weaknesses with clears, turnovers, fatigued decision making, and our tendency to one on one play when the going gets tough.
My fear now is that the schedule, aside from SU, hasn't allowed for that work. Binghamton is always a chippy game, and I hope it isn't a slow slog like the series was a few years ago. Honestly, it brings us nothing. A loss would be soul crushing, but a win doesn't bring much confidence. I wish our early SOS was stronger. After Binghamton it is a crazy up down RoMo ... real danger as the first NEC game. Wish we could play a relatively local team like Bucknell, Lehigh, or Albany early. More tests like Friday would help us.
Yes ... one game at a time. But would still like a greater mix early.
Totally agree. As far as I see it, we have 6 non conference games due to the realignment. You obviously keep Cornell and 'Cuse, Colgate is a decent (recent history excluded) opponent who we have significant history with, fine with keeping one, but not both, of Canisius or Siena, dump binghamton as Laxgunea stated. That leaves 2 games to add some more strength to the schedule and higher profile matchups. Would love to lock in Georgetown long term as those were always intense matchups. Also wouldn't mind leaving a slot open for a new opponent every couple of years with a home and home series deal. Also would love some more showcase games like we did down south a few years ago and in Connecticut most recently.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

You‘ve got to play the schedule that you have. Not one of our games in a gimme... The Binghamton game is a staple of our schedule for a number of reasons, so you‘d better get used to it.

I would like a bit of a different schedule myself, but I‘m pretty wary of all of those SOS considerations. It wasn‘t too long ago that a few posters on the Cornell thread wanted to dump US to improve their SOS. How would you feel about that? In general, we need to improve before marquee teams will want to schedule us. Right now, losing to us would have a downside and beating us would not offer a substantial gain. We need to keep improving as a program to change that.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Ketch wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:03 pm You‘ve got to play the schedule that you have. Not one of our games in a gimme... The Binghamton game is a staple of our schedule for a number of reasons, so you‘d better get used to it.

I would like a bit of a different schedule myself, but I‘m pretty wary of all of those SOS considerations. It wasn‘t too long ago that a few posters on the Cornell thread wanted to dump US to improve their SOS. How would you feel about that? In general, we need to improve before marquee teams will want to schedule us. Right now, losing to us would have a downside and beating us would not offer a substantial gain. We need to keep improving as a program to change that.
Ketch,
You can rest assured that this Cornell Fan never would want to drop the Hobart rivalry, and given your performance against a great Syracuse team, your team this year scares the heck out of me. You guys can score on anyone and if Sam stands on his head like he is capable of doing, you guys are a threat against anyone. I just wonder how much closer the Syracuse game would have been if it had been played in Geneva.

You guys are a definite threat in the NEC and I very much look forward to the Hobart faithful invading the Kopf for another great Cornell/Hobart matchup.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

That's all true, and we do have to play the schedule we've got. But I still WISH we had a stronger SOS. My comment comes from the benefits we'll get after the SU game. Binghamton is not automatic, but we have everything to lose and they have everything to win. I dont think we've been tested enough, esp on D, in games 1 through 3. That changed Friday night. Given our schedule, our only chance to the NCAA is the AQ. I would prefer to walk into the RoMo game with more experience against better teams.
How would I feel if other teams wanted to drop us? It would suck. But Penn St. dropped us, as did Bucknell... and the move to the NEC lost us Georgetown, Loyola ... remember when the Patriot League dropped us?
I totally agree that this will change if we maintain good results over time. When it does, we'll have to decide who to drop.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

JoeWillie.... The game wouldn't have been much different in Geneva if it was the same officiating crew. A certain defenseman may have been tossed for 2 head shots. But, I doubt the "W" would have happened. Cuse has as good a shot as any of the top 6 teams to win it all. Our road through the NEC is far from guaranteed. One game at a time...
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Surprised no one is on here to comment on the close game with Binghamton. These guys put up ten on Army, so I knew they wouldn’t be pushovers, but they are better than I had anticipated. What is surprising is how few people are there. I know it’s cold, but that never stopped me from going to a game!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

My fingers are too cold to press the keys, even though it is a beautifully sunny day.
That game was much closer than the final score. Binghamton is better than their record. But we were sloppy. Poor passes, dropped balls, lost GB battles ... it was not our best day.
Having said that, someone always seems to step up. Today it was Justin Scott with 4 goals and at least 2 assists (maybe more).
There was something off in our offensive decision making today .... or it was a day when we didn't fully hit our stride. Still, 17 to 9 is not too bad.
I didn't think Sam was seeing it as well as he has been today, especially in the first half. But the D tightened in the second half and I think Binghamton was limited to 3.
Not sure what the takeaway is.
I dont see us rotating in as many lines, and I am not sure why. Sam Mueller is playing more, which gives more rests to the close D players. Seems like Mott and Madonna were both out.
manyhats

Post by manyhats »

Chilly day at the Boz. Chalk up all the turnovers to the first game outside, hands maybe cold, A good warm up for Ro Mo next week.
Good to Scott and Archer score some goals. So many weapons on the offensive side of the field.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Grind it out win , we just had too much depth for them in the 4th Q
Sam looked like he needs a few more days outside to see the ball better, but played well as the game progressed
Wylie Sherman played very well
Nice to see Archer and Scottie get it going
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

A win is a win and will take an ugly win over a good looking loss any day. Speaking of ugly, what is with the helmet? I know our new branding effort has brought "Royal Purple" back into the fold but the helmets are awful. Along the same lines, I might have missed something but why do we only wear orange jerseys? What happened to wearing white at home?
Was great to see them outside at the Boz, It was a bit too cold for me but look forward to being there in a couple of weeks.
Onto RoMo!
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

Sorry not to see Mott or Madonna out there but fortunately there is depth on the team this year.

On to the NEC and the big games for us. The league has been great for us and we have developed pretty strong rivalries with RoMo, Bryant, SJU and each one of them has knocked us off or been knocked off when the other one was favored so it is almost always great competition. Hopefully we keep playing a lot of people and give people the confidence they will need at the end of the season when they need to make a play.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

OK, I'll say it. That was FUGLY! Happy/lucky to walk away with the W as Laxgunea said, this game was closer than the score indicates. Hobart played about as bad as I've seen them since coach Raymond took over. This game looked a lot like last years first half against St. Bonnies. It seemed to me like Bart assumed they had the W before the first whistle and played like it didn't matter. Sloppy one, drive towards the goal completed with an off the mark shot surmised the offense for the first 40 minutes. If our D starts off the way they did today against RoMo, it will be a blowout for the Colonials. Archer and Scott players of the game. Best game of the season for both. Archer could have had a few more assists if the receivers were ready for them. He was in high gear and some guys were just starting to move. Knox is on a "slump" for him. He only had 2 and a couple of pipes. We did miss Madonna and Mott. Both draw extra attention. Herlihy did well but, is still learning to see the game. Another plus was Wylie Sherman, whose game is becoming a lot like former Swiss army knife, Kevin Murphy. Seems like it will be a tough week of practice as there is plenty to clean up ahead of the start of league play. Remember, one game at a time.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Sloppy game but it’s a win. Maybe we got caught looking ahead for a cpl qtrs which this team can’t afford to do.

Currently watching the Bart MBB team and wishing we could
Muster half as good a broadcast as Springfield College.

The live stream issues seem like they’ll never end.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I was at the game and believe me, it was plenty ugly. I always stand at the railing on the end of the field where our offense is playing, and today for three quarters we were just not on our game. Too much holding the ball, or trying to force passes into the inside. I don‘t know how many times we hit their goalie square in the chest. Fortunately we got it together in the 4th quarter and pretty much buried them at that point. Binghamton is always a difficult game and judging from Army‘s 15-10 win over them earlier in the week they had few problems with them also. So we came alway with the W, but it wasn‘t easy, that‘s for sure. I‘m still not sold on our defense. In general, we will need to play a whole lot better against RoMo or they will win going away. We need to put together a complete game, which was not the case today.

Mott and Madonna did not play. I‘m sure that made some of the difference on offense. Also, Justin Scott came limping off after one of his goals in considerable pain, not able to put pressure on one foot. He did return to the game, thank god, but this could be something that carries forward. For all of the things he does you could argue that he is the player most valuable to the team in an all around sense (no offense to Eric Holden, who continues to dazzle with his play).

While Archer and Scott were hot today, Knox struggled a bit to get his shot off as Bing paid a lot of attention to him. At least one time he teed up for his shot and got the ball checked away or hit someone with the shot. Fortunately he‘s a smart enough player to move the ball along when it‘s just not his day. I love the way the attack communicates with each other. Also, big day for Wylie Sherman. Starting to rack up the points!

The new lids. At first sight, I did not like them. After looking at them for a few minutes they grew on me. They are nice. I love the fact that purple is back. I‘d like to see white at home, too. As with everything else in life, it‘s important to dress for success.

As for the lack of fans, the students just do not support the team from what I can tell, especially when it‘s cold. I‘m wondering about the lack of students, period, today. I always park next to the Gearan Center and walk over to the Boz. There were practically no cars in the lot and nary a student to be seen. It‘s not Spring Break or the cafe in the Scandling Center would not have been open, so no clue where they all hide. Hopefully they will come out when/if the weather gets warmer. They are missing a good show from the Statesmen.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

If anyone thinks I'm being to hard on the team, I'm not. They have plenty of talent and should NOT be playing down to their opponents level. Ketch is correct, the defense is lacking. again, not for lack of physical talent. Their communication is almost non-existent at times. Ball watching is starting to creep back in. RoMo, and especially Cornell, will absolutely skewer us if they keep this playing like this.
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Heard Madonna could be back for RoMo. Not sure what is up with Mott. Overheard Scott say he rolled the ankle when he scored, but it didn't seem to be bothering him much. Having said that, he had an ankle injury earlier in the season too.
Did Bartelme get his first assist? Thought so. He sees so well and is really poised.
Not sure why so many shots were stopped by Binghamton goalie. We hit him in the chest (and head), but also shot too many top shelf shots.
We are having trouble with the inside game, but it is just a hair away from being on. When the feeders and shooters connect, watch out. Today it wasn't happening.
I agree with Ketch about D. I am not convinced. But they improved in the 2nd half, only letting in 3 I think. I do like the defensive aggression I am seeing.
Regarding fans in stands: it isnt what it used to be. But keep in mind that there are lots of options for the students. There was a tennis match in the Fieldhouse as the game was being played. Plus BB away. WS hockey away. Playoff HOB hockey tonight at the Cooler. I expect lots of students at the latter.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

The hickey game was in VT btw. Norwich won 3-0 but given they’re #1 in the nation Hobart should still get into the NCAA field. Still can’t believe MBB won. They play CNU Friday down in Newport News.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

On schedule, from what I understand we have a friggin huge operating budget hole this year and the revered Pres Gearan was as profligate, accomodating and incapable of raising funds so expect a healthy dose of NYS schools next 2-3 yrs. Maybe Albany.

Anyone else notice Mitrow hasn't played since game one and was, at least nominally, a starter? Not sure if he's done for the year but would be nice to see him back as he can contribute.

That was Barthelme's 4th assist of the year yest in fact. Great to see Archer have a good game. It really is true that we have enough guys that 2-3 can have down games and others can pick it up. 8-6 at half wasn't great but a 7 goal win is still a 7 goal win. Far cry from a half dozen years ago when we were squeaking out OT wins vs Canisius. On the one hand, it's probably a good thing to have to play four quarters at home and not against Cuse or Cornell before getting into NEC schedule which I think hurt us last year. On the other hand, short handed a few guys notwithstanding, the shortening of the bench brings back memories of late last year, particularly the last two RoMo games we gave up healthy leads in the 4th to.

Beating this horse more, but where is Ty Yanko? Seriously I'm hearing he was savage last summer and even drafted like 6th in a canadian league. 2 games and he's healthy?

Very happy w FOGO play. FR are contributing a ton. Herlihy being up to 12,1 in five games is going to get the most notice and it's impressive for sure on a team that has no shortage of more experience weapons, but am really happy with the play and contributions of much of the FR class. A few that have quietly been playing very well, some over a lot of meaningful minutes:

Jack Grooms - 5,2,7 (5gbs, 6tos room for improvement). Appears clear he's very skilled and quick around the cage.
Troy Barthelme - 0,4,4 (2gbs, 0TO, 1CT). Heard he has a cannon but expect him to be more around the cage over his career.
Bobby Baltzer - 0,3,3 w/13gbs and 2CTs (4tos). His wing game has been excellent and my understanding is he's more of an offensive player, so I am sure the scoring will come.
Mason Romm - 0,2,2 (2gbs, 1ct) and one ground standing and manning up vs a larger Cuse player who was trying to bully him.

Others have looked good, certainly Holtby in cleanup and Shea at faceoff amongst others.

We have a good team, depth, professional scorers. Just needs to all be put together. Arguably in the Can, Siena and Gate games we didn't play a full and complete game, but still good ones.

By the way, extrapolating never works out like this but Eric Holden is on pace, if we assume 15 games, which would be a loss in Rd 1 of NEC playoffs, to have 84pts this year (20,8 over 5 times 3 gets to 60 goals and 24 assists)...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”