Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Kismet

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by Kismet »

Don't think the measure of success in mass shootings is whether the cops eliminate or the shooter gets neutralized. The object is to avoid the shooting in the first place

We live in a country where firearms are ubiquitous, easy to acquire and, thus, too often easily available to people who have a grudge or any other kind of problem. The idea that making it harder to acquire one somehow makes it to difficult for law-abiding citizens to acquire and own one does not seem to be worth it currently.

Why to some this is perfectly acceptable is also quite mystifying.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:24 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:58 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:54 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:19 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:04 pm Monday, April 10, 2023: four dead in a Louisville, Kentucky bank. Depositors need to balance their right to deposit and withdraw against the right of others to have guns and kill them. America.
Reporting is saying the alleged shooter(image below) was fired from the bank.

Hung deal get him canned?
The AR15 probably told him to do it.
Thanks for this; it'll make the families whose people are dead and whose lives are shattered feel a lot better. Your response is a perfect fit for a GOP Congressman or Senator. How proud you must be for this little quip.
How did the shooter die?
More the faux-clever same from you; pretty sad sauce. You will have us living in a walking around garrison state, all of us armed against one another. Nice; part of your "religion" and reverence for life? Try to listen to yourself sometime.
:roll: Yea....that's what I want, GMaFB.

You just can't let yourself say it can you, the mfer is dead thanks to the cops and guns, two things your party have clearly argued against. And yet, if he didn't die, your brethren attorney's would be continuing their cognitive dissonance profession trying to get this guy back on the street ASAP, and likely suing the police department for violating his rights.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Kismet wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:01 pm Don't think the measure of success in mass shootings is whether the cops eliminate or the shooter gets neutralized. The object is to avoid the shooting in the first place

We live in a country where firearms are ubiquitous, easy to acquire and, thus, too often easily available to people who have a grudge or any other kind of problem. The idea that making it harder to acquire one somehow makes it to difficult for law-abiding citizens to acquire and own one does not seem to be worth it currently.

You must be an un-American woke disarmer.

A bank, with armed guards, high-tech security systems, and cameras everywhere, couldn't stop a mass shooter/disgruntled ex-employee from killing five people and wounding nine or ten others. But the GOP response to this sort of stuff is to suggest arming teachers or putting police in American schools as a reasonable solution for kids being gunned down while simply trying to learn?? For concert-goers? For folks at Walmart and the movies and church?

Look at YA's response to this for the current brain fever. An unfettered Second Amendment is so central to the perverted outlook these folks have, that the rest of us just have to accept the murders of dozens and dozens and dozens of children, congregants, college kids, movie-goers and shoppers as the price of -- ready? -- freedom.
Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

Wow. Officer injured, brain surgery. Two weeks on the job. What the heck!
Typical Lax Dad

Olderbarndog wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:46 pm Wow. Officer injured, brain surgery. Two weeks on the job. What the heck!
He must not have had enough guns on him…the perpetrator is dead so….that’s a good outcome for YA…he said so himself.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:32 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:01 pm Don't think the measure of success in mass shootings is whether the cops eliminate or the shooter gets neutralized. The object is to avoid the shooting in the first place

A bank, with armed guards, high-tech security systems, and cameras everywhere, couldn't stop a mass shooter/disgruntled ex-employee from killing five people and wounding nine or ten others. But the GOP response to this sort of stuff is to suggest arming teachers or putting police in American schools as a reasonable solution for kids being gunned down while simply trying to learn?? For concert-goers? For folks at Walmart and the movies and church?

Look at YA's response to this for the current brain fever. An unfettered Second Amendment is so central to the perverted outlook these folks have, that the rest of us just have to accept the murders of dozens and dozens and dozens of children, congregants, college kids, movie-goers and shoppers as the price of -- ready? -- freedom.
Don't think he had actually been terminated yet but apparently had been told it was coming. He was live streaming the event and exchanging fire with police who took him down.

I'll wager the rifle was legally purchased probably recently.. BINGO. Prep purchased the AR-15 last week legally AFTER he was advised he was being terminated by the bank.
Last edited by Kismet on Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DocBarrister

Hey, Gun Nuts: Go to Hell (Literally)

Post by DocBarrister »

Another week full of mass murders with assault weapons.

Just another casualty of two of the worst presidents in American history, George W. Bush and Donald Trump.

If you voted for either or both and their Republican stooges in Congress, you are morally and ethically responsible for the proliferation of assault weapons and the escalating number of mass shootings in this country.

Oh, and you’ll probably burn in hell for all eternity.

Have a nice day.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:32 pm

Is there a solution to the problem counselor or are you just venting your frustration? True to form you ignore the issue of illegal weapons. There is only one solution counselor...ban these weapons. Then you have the sticky wicket of defining what an assault weapon is. Gov Cuomo took a stab at it with the SAFE Act and failed miserably. How do you define what an assault weapon is counselor? Easier said than done isn't it?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

C&S, good to hear from you. Pretty sure Mr. Sturgeon legally purchased his weapon, then killed his co-workers. They should have been armed while banking, I guess. Or at least wearing flak vests. Just careless of them, right? Ts & Ps.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:01 am C&S, good to hear from you. Pretty sure Mr. Sturgeon legally purchased his weapon, then killed his co-workers. They should have been armed while banking, I guess. Or at least wearing flak vests. Just careless of them, right? Ts & Ps.
It is good to be back on a limited basis. My question to you still stands. Is there a solution? I'm reminded of that old adage that everybody complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it. If a person is so mentally screwed up they are willing to go down in a hail of bullets the weapon being used is not the biggest issue that society has to deal with.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:59 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:01 am C&S, good to hear from you. Pretty sure Mr. Sturgeon legally purchased his weapon, then killed his co-workers. They should have been armed while banking, I guess. Or at least wearing flak vests. Just careless of them, right? Ts & Ps.
It is good to be back on a limited basis. My question to you still stands. Is there a solution? I'm reminded of that old adage that everybody complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it. If a person is so mentally screwed up they are willing to go down in a hail of bullets the weapon being used is not the biggest issue that society has to deal with.
cradle, I was wondering when you would weigh in.

Hope you and your family are doing well.

On this, yes, it's NOT difficult to define the weapons to be banned (other than at licensed gun ranges), as we've done it (ban of assault weapons) before and it was effective.

This country does NOT have greater issues of mental health, we have hugely greater access to weapons that kill many victims very quickly. Easily Legally purchased, easily stolen. Way, way too many.

This argument has been repeated again and again, but if you want to choose to ignore it, fine.
runrussellrun

Re: Hey, Gun Nuts: Go to Hell (Literally)

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:34 am Another week full of mass murders with assault weapons.

Just another casualty of two of the worst presidents in American history, George W. Bush and Donald Trump.

If you voted for either or both and their Republican stooges in Congress, you are morally and ethically responsible for the proliferation of assault weapons and the escalating number of mass shootings in this country.

Oh, and you’ll probably burn in hell for all eternity.

Have a nice day.

DocBarrister
a great read....The Revenge of the Pequoits....starts out with some laughter and frolicking fun. Yes....they forced a young mother and family, to get knocked over, out of the canoe. And drowned....dead. Ha ha ha.

Mountain Meadows Massacre......

Not sure your US vs THEM attitude helps....at all.

Wonder if the aremed bank guards were checking their "twatter" on their phone.....instead of their jobs.

The hand shake was "invented", why again ?

NOW.....lets GO send some more killing machines to...umm....Ukraine. Drones kill any innocent doctors, without borders, DOC ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:29 am

On this, yes, it's NOT difficult to define the weapons to be banned (other than at licensed gun ranges), as we've done it (ban of assault weapons) before and it was effective.

This country does NOT have greater issues of mental health, we have hugely greater access to weapons that kill many victims very quickly. Easily Legally purchased, easily stolen. Way, way too many.

This argument has been repeated again and again, but if you want to choose to ignore it, fine.
You first have to define what an assault weapon is. Until that is accomplished your simply cherry picking some weapons while ignoring others. I'm not ignoring anything MD. I'm only asking the same question...what is the solution? There is only one solution, ban and confiscation of ALL of these weapons by every citizen. If that is the road you want to go down then fine by me. As a matter of fact I'm more than happy to put you in charge of the process. You up to the challenge?
Bob Ross:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

D.E.V.O.

one of my favorite bands. Tough, to literally be the guy who,

"What if you knew her and
Found her dead on the ground?"

Who armed the killers at Kent St. ?

pretty "fix stoopid " solution.

each zip code, has an automatic "militia" group. FREE to join, but MUST be joined in order to purchase a firearm. Like rehab, a 28 day "waiting" period, for militia group card, or cell phone sq. Q thingy or whatever. If you can vote, you can be a militia member, with the exact same "qualifications".

Don't like it? Well, guess you don't like the US Constitution !

(Art. 1....and why we have a US Census...again ? easier to pay off less member of the HOUSE, than more. geezbus, don't think that first part of the US Constitution ,meant to have a US House representative ratio to be ONE to 700K constiuants. Yikes. )

but, yes, carry on.......keep on blaming MDLAXfan (a declared Bush voter and GOP member) types for nut jobs killing.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:27 am

You first have to define what an assault weapon is. Until that is accomplished your simply cherry picking some weapons while ignoring others. I'm not ignoring anything MD. I'm only asking the same question...what is the solution? There is only one solution, ban and confiscation of ALL of these weapons by every citizen. If that is the road you want to go down then fine by me. As a matter of fact I'm more than happy to put you in charge of the process. You up to the challenge?
Again, it was done previously and it worked.

I'm adding a wrinkle that wasn't included before, the safe keeping and use of these weapons, including those still privately owned, at a well regulated gun range.

Banning sale of the weapons is the first and easiest piece. Definition can be expansive enough to cover anything close, size of magazine, speed of delivery of bullets, etc, as well as with specific examples. Second piece is a buyback program. Third piece is a confiscation and fine regime with scofflaws. Note, again, that a viable alternative is legal registration and safekeeping and use at well regulated gun range.

And then there are other common sense gun laws, safe storage, trigger locks, red flag, background checks, concealed and open carry restricted to limited set of public, with training and specific need.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:01 am

I'm adding a wrinkle that wasn't included before, the safe keeping and use of these weapons, including those still privately owned, at a well regulated gun range.

Banning sale of the weapons is the first and easiest piece. Definition can be expansive enough to cover anything close, size of magazine, speed of delivery of bullets, etc, as well as with specific examples. Second piece is a buyback program. Third piece is a confiscation and fine regime with scofflaws. Note, again, that a viable alternative is legal registration and safekeeping and use at well regulated gun range.

And then there are other common sense gun laws, safe storage, trigger locks, red flag, background checks, concealed and open carry restricted to limited set of public, with training and specific need.
I can only state my own opinion on this issue. I'm a huge 2nd amendment guy. I'm also a huge advocate as to going forward that to buy whatever you folks think an assault weapon is that a tighter set of guidelines should apply. That means 50 states figuring out those guidelines is a states issue. You can't outright ban them. The reason you can't I have pointed out here numerous times. If you ban purchase and ownership of all AR-15 type weapons defining that as an assault weapon .. you have to ban the purchase and ownership of an M1 Garand, a semi automatic assault rifle. I ask the same question one more time... how do you define what an assault weapon is?
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:24 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:01 am

I can only state my own opinion on this issue. I'm a huge 2nd amendment guy. I'm also a huge advocate as to going forward that to buy whatever you folks think an assault weapon is that a tighter set of guidelines should apply. That means 50 states figuring out those guidelines is a states issue. You can't outright ban them. The reason you can't I have pointed out here numerous times. If you ban purchase and ownership of all AR-15 type weapons defining that as an assault weapon .. you have to ban the purchase and ownership of an M1 Garand, a semi automatic assault rifle. I ask the same question one more time... how do you define what an assault weapon is?
Do you have an issue with the prior legal definition in the prior national ban?
Are you saying that it needs to be updated or expanded?
Or do you just think it wasn't inclusive enough back then?

Is the "M1 Garand, a semi-automatic assault rifle" used for "assault"?
Is it needed for anything else?
I know it's been around since 1936 and was for many decades the weapon of choice for military "battle" purposes, but, given its weight, it ain't an ideal hunting rifle...so, keep it at the well regulated gun range.

I have no issue with banning sale for any other purpose.

That said, if a good case can be made that the M1 is only semi-automatic, has far less capacity and stopping power than an AR-15, and is regularly used for varmint hunting, I'm also ok with drawing the "assault" weapon ban definition more narrowly. Indeed, most discussions of this topic differentiate between an "assault" weapon and a "battle" rifle based on those factors.

But I'm also ok with regulating the M1 and its ilk to be required to safely stored, etc, used only for hunting with a hunting license, if that's where the line is drawn...but I don't really think it's a needed weapon given better alternatives for hunting purposes and its potential ill use otherwise. Again, gun range.

BTW, gun ranges would be a good business opportunity...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... interesting article. The rate of increase in gun deaths is matched by "poisoning and overdoses". Poisoning and overdoses moved into third place for cause of death among children. Top 3 causes of death are all human behavior issues, not a single virus, bacteria, or pathology in the bunch. Top 3.

1. guns
2. motor vehicles
3. poisoning and overdoses

MAGA
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”