THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
fsclax

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by fsclax »

Lots of posts here about JHU recruiting the wrong folks. JHU isn’t my team but I had an experience that might be interesting.

Several years ago I was at the UA tryouts. In addition to the evaluators, the field was ringed with college coaches. I happened to be standing next to the Hopkins coach. The players had been issued their numbered pinnies and were warming up on the field. Petro had the roster and was crossing out lots of names during warmups. I don’t know what criteria he was using (stick work, high school attended, etc.?). These kids were the best in their area so there weren’t too many with significant flaws in their mechanics. Of course you could see that some players had prettier stickwork than others but he was obviously eliminating kids before knowing whether or not they were tough, physical grinders. Before the scrimmages even began, some kids weren’t going to Hopkins. The failure to recruit this type of hard nosed player seems to be a recurring theme on this board.

For what it’s worth.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Another week were I am sure UVA lax fans are sad they canned Starsia.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Anytime you have a coaching change, you’ve ruined the entire future of your program.

Listening to people around here, your team would become worse than VMI.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The "UVA should have kept Starsia" crowd is oddly silent this weekend.

Cool video about The Rivalry:

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

C431B8E8-0B78-43D8-8CD4-C739CB4D3358.jpeg
C431B8E8-0B78-43D8-8CD4-C739CB4D3358.jpeg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Yup...UVA was really dumb to can Starsia. Can't believe it took them 3 years to become champions, again.

I bet if you listened hard enough you can hear the sphincters on Homewood and upstate NY tightening.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ha, UVA's title has an asterisk. LOL
Pipe shots are not goals!!

UVA fans have got to be happy with Tiffany.
Interesting that UVA's goalie Alex Rode was a UA All America and also played in a hotbed in the MIAA St Pauls.
He really seemed to be able to stop outside shots. WOW!!!!
Novel idea playing your UA AA goalie who played in HS in a hotbed. Hmmm......who thought of that idea?
Interesting thing the announcers said during the game. At UVA they don't have set positions. Players can earn their PT in practice during the season.
Another super NOVEL idea! Go figure.
At Hop, positions are decided pre-season and STAY that way all season long, unless the team gets desperate and the season's on the brink of course.
Tiffany has lots of modern new ideas. I like that. Hats off to him.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

7B563147-97FC-41B1-8081-A37521AC4227.jpeg
7B563147-97FC-41B1-8081-A37521AC4227.jpeg (111.06 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

steel_hop wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:42 pm Another week were I am sure UVA lax fans are sad they canned Starsia.
Starsia put us on the map - and the job he did in our last title season was nothing short of miraculous. To me, using such words as "canned" demeans one of the winningest coaches of all time. The AD handled it incredibly poorly and Dom was treated shabbily. At the same time, change was needed and change feels heck great right now. But we don't forget who brought us to this point, nor do we forget who recruited the bulk of the kids who just won a National Championship.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

EF754784-7A12-42D2-B209-5ACCF777DEB9.png
EF754784-7A12-42D2-B209-5ACCF777DEB9.png (56.77 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:05 am The "UVA should have kept Starsia" crowd is oddly silent this weekend.

Cool video about The Rivalry:

enjoyed this, but JHU is now just another D1 team...very sad...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

rasheed wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:27 pm
steel_hop wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:42 pm Another week were I am sure UVA lax fans are sad they canned Starsia.
Starsia put us on the map - and the job he did in our last title season was nothing short of miraculous. To me, using such words as "canned" demeans one of the winningest coaches of all time. The AD handled it incredibly poorly and Dom was treated shabbily. At the same time, change was needed and change feels heck great right now. But we don't forget who brought us to this point, nor do we forget who recruited the bulk of the kids who just won a National Championship.
Rasheed, you and I are both Hoos fans, but let's please not repeat the fiction that "Starsia put us on the map". Bunch of national championships before Dom showed up.

"demeans" : it drives me a bit crazy the level of disrespect for those earlier UVA teams and coaches the Starsia 'put us on the map' fiction suggests.

I agree that Dom deserves due respect and appreciation, in all sorts of ways, (btw not just winning games), but there's a reality that he was let go for many of the same factors that Hopkins' fans think Petro should move on despite a huge history of success. Lots of vaunted recruits and classes, subpar achievements relative to expectations, 'culture' challenges, etc.

Seems to me, however, that the issues were substantially more acute at UVA than they are at Hopkins, so I kinda doubt we'll see any HC moves at Hop. After all, the HS 2020 class is stacked...
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Petro recruited two back-to-back Number 1 classes and got exactly one Final Four appearance out of it.
Recruiting by itself is not enough.
Especially when you don't play your best players.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:29 pm
Rasheed, you and I are both Hoos fans, but let's please not repeat the fiction that "Starsia put us on the map". Bunch of national championships before Dom showed up.

"demeans" : it drives me a bit crazy the level of disrespect for those earlier UVA teams and coaches the Starsia 'put us on the map' fiction suggests.

I agree that Dom deserves due respect and appreciation, in all sorts of ways, (btw not just winning games), but there's a reality that he was let go for many of the same factors that Hopkins' fans think Petro should move on despite a huge history of success. Lots of vaunted recruits and classes, subpar achievements relative to expectations, 'culture' challenges, etc.

Seems to me, however, that the issues were substantially more acute at UVA than they are at Hopkins, so I kinda doubt we'll see any HC moves at Hop. After all, the HS 2020 class is stacked...
I have no clue what you are talking about. Starsia put us on the map in the modern era - plain and simple - not sure what else you would call winning 4 of Virginia's 6 national championships? Ace was great and '86 was a hell of a run only to be foiled by the smaller Seivold - (although I still think if John Begier would have shot instead of feeding Roddy Marino, he would have won it for us!)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Now that this national championship thingy/distraction is out of the way, we should resume our discussion of what is truly important ... Johns Hopkins.

How does our incoming class look? Any freshmen likely to start?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

rasheed wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:53 pm

I have no clue what you are talking about. Starsia put us on the map in the modern era - plain and simple - not sure what else you would call winning 4 of Virginia's 6 national championships? Ace was great and '86 was a hell of a run only to be foiled by the smaller Seivold - (although I still think if John Begier would have shot instead of feeding Roddy Marino, he would have won it for us!)
Is the "modern era" just the "Starsia era" or do you mean the NCAA era, not USILA era?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_ ... s_lacrosse

Tons of top 10 finishes, lots and lots of NCAA tourney appearances pre-Dom, as well. 3 NC's pre-
Dom's very long tenure.

Virginia won 2 NC's during USILA era, including my dad's sophomore season in 1952, then again in 1970, then NCAA in '72.
The captain of that '52 team, Gordon Jones, just passed away this past month. He was named the top attack man of the year (pre-Tewey). Tons of AA's out of UVA for many decades prior to Dom. My dad was 3X AA, captain of '54 team. He passed away Jan 27, the day before Lars' dad passed, I believe.

My point is just that UVA was "on the map" way, way before Dom showed up.
Great coach, very successful long run, but no need to exaggerate in a way that 'demeans' other great teams and coaches out of Charlottesville.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon May 27, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Now that this national championship thingy/distraction is out of the way, we should resume our discussion of what is truly important ... Johns Hopkins.
This! 'Grats to UVa.

Now back to what's really important -- what does The Hop have to do to reclaim our birth right to playing on Championship Weekend?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

rasheed wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:53 pm

I really liked those Jim Adams teams.
Especially the late 70s, early 80s teams.
Cavs could just as easily have pulled out that 1980 title game.

Matty Rainis was one fine player, and especially I personally got to see Matty play up close and personal at Lynbrook.

Kevin O’Shea, I read numerous accolades on his defensive game, including from some excellent ex Jay players who had to go up against O’Shea.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Dog wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:12 pm
This! 'Grats to UVa.

Now back to what's really important -- what does The Hop have to do to reclaim our birth right to playing on Championship Weekend?
Which has me thinkin’ ... are we Daenerys Targaryen in this scenario? Will reclaiming our birthright to the national championship of lacrosse involve lots of nudity? Because I need to step up my workouts if that’s the case. :oops: Also, who’s the b#%^*#d who will stick a knife in our heart when we’re just about to claim what is rightfully ours? Cooter? A Duke fan?!? Rasheed?!?!? :|

We need to figure all of this out, people ....

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”