Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:25 pm
However, those {Spanish} colonies, those regions, did not contribute to the Founders' choices to revolt, nor in their choices in the creation of our founding documents, nor any role in early governance of the country.

Actually, the Spanish speaking regions had a significant role in liberating what became the USA from Britain. Commander-General de Gálves (for whom Galveston, TX is named) was former governor of Louisiana who resigned from office to fight the British. From what I've read his used his forces (comprised of Spaniards, former slaves, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and others) to fight the Brits all the way to California. He freed Florida from British rule and supplied the former colonies with arms and foods. That's how the war was won.
I'm gonna need to do some more homework, I guess.

Best I recall, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, were not part of the founding 13 colonies. ;)

Indeed, if I'm not mistaken, Florida became a Spanish colony after the Revolutionary War. Not so sure I'd call that "freed Florida", just new colonial master.

Heck, on checking dates, Florida didn't become a US State until 1845, same year as Texas. And wasn't even a territory until 1822.
Louisiana was earlier, 1803 as a territory, 1812 as a state.

Doesn't mean that all sorts weren't fighting the British, most notably the French. And without that help, really an extension of the various wars between Britain, France and Spain, you're right that the revolting 13 British colonies wouldn't have gained independence.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:05 pm

I'm gonna need to do some more homework, I guess. [I've read where much of the fighting took place in the Carolinas, not just in the Northeast]

Best I recall, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, were not part of the founding 13 colonies. ;) [nor was California]

Indeed, if I'm not mistaken, Florida became a Spanish colony after the Revolutionary War. Not so sure I'd call that "freed Florida", just new colonial master. [Floridian settlers were the majority and were loyal to Madrid so that they viewed it as freedom. not sure that was true of Seminoles or related tribes]

Heck, on checking dates, Florida didn't become a US State until 1845, same year as Texas. And wasn't even a territory until 1822.
Louisiana was earlier, 1803 as a territory, 1812 as a state. [interesting that Spanish was the majority language in all three states. took years before English became the majority language]

Doesn't mean that all sorts weren't fighting the British, most notably the French. And without that help, really an extension of the various wars between Britain, France and Spain, you're right that the revolting 13 British colonies wouldn't have gained independence. [bingo!]
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:53 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:13 pm Well, I guess sometimes "facts" are stranger than fiction...

If I were a parent in Floriduh, I'd be leaving and taking my children elsewhere.

"Florida’s public schools will now teach students that some Black people benefited from slavery because it taught them useful skills, part of new African American history standards approved Wednesday that were blasted by a state teachers' union as a “step backward.”

The Florida State Board of Education’s new standards includes controversial language about how “slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit,” according to a 216-page document about the state’s 2023 standards in social studies, posted by the Florida Department of Education."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ne ... -rcna95418
It’s all building up to Ronnie D making the case for why there’s so many retired Jewish snowbirds in S FL and how Hitler was really just conditioning them to like warm climates.
DiSantis equates slavery as being like free community college
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

The dude ain't living in a small town either. Have you seen his house? :lol:

Country music used to be good. And bad. But it had some good in it. Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton. Stood up for the downtrodden. Now it's the McMansion crowd and the "red white and blue". So turrible. Can't tell the difference between Iraq and Iran. JFC.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:16 am Image

The dude ain't living in a small town either. Have you seen his house? :lol:

Country music used to be good. And bad. But it had some good in it. Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton. Stood up for the downtrodden. Now it's the McMansion crowd and the "red white and blue". So turrible. Can't tell the difference between Iraq and Iran. JFC.
I don’t think there’s a lot of money in Brunswick. I mainly know it as a highway stop en route from/to airport at Savannah. Can’t imagine the town population is more than 25-30k. S Ga is bizarre. Probably too close to FL being the issue.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:18 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:13 pm Well, I guess sometimes "facts" are stranger than fiction...

If I were a parent in Floriduh, I'd be leaving and taking my children elsewhere.

"Florida’s public schools will now teach students that some Black people benefited from slavery because it taught them useful skills, part of new African American history standards approved Wednesday that were blasted by a state teachers' union as a “step backward.”

The Florida State Board of Education’s new standards includes controversial language about how “slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit,” according to a 216-page document about the state’s 2023 standards in social studies, posted by the Florida Department of Education."

It’s all building up to Ronnie D making the case for why there’s so many retired Jewish snowbirds in S FL and how Hitler was really just conditioning them to like warm climates.
Nothing like a good whipping to teach you self control, and for those around you to learn first aid.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:53 am I don’t think there’s a lot of money in Brunswick. I mainly know it as a highway stop en route from/to airport at Savannah. Can’t imagine the town population is more than 25-30k. S Ga is bizarre. Probably too close to FL being the issue.
A great book about racism just a few decades ago in a town up the road from Brunswick.

https://www.amazon.com/Praying-Sheetroc ... 0306815176
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:36 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:53 am I don’t think there’s a lot of money in Brunswick. I mainly know it as a highway stop en route from/to airport at Savannah. Can’t imagine the town population is more than 25-30k. S Ga is bizarre. Probably too close to FL being the issue.
A great book about racism just a few decades ago in a town up the road from Brunswick.

https://www.amazon.com/Praying-Sheetroc ... 0306815176
It still exists, I’ve been in the rural parts off 75 or 85 both to the north and southern halves of the state. Just most of it is relatively poor w a few exceptions like the area Blur Ridge, around lake Oconee out east or the Thomsaville area.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:05 am

Nothing like a good whipping to teach you self control, and for those around you to learn first aid.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:10 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:05 am

https://www.cc.com/video/fvumm1/chappel ... s-outtakes
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

A testament to how wrong the Florida Education Department is - 9 of their 16 examples of enslaved people gaining measurable skills either were not enslaved people or gained the skills after the were emancipated.

Nice to know that the alleged educators in charge of the curriculum are so historically well informed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

So should black former slaves be forced to pay reparations to former slave owners for their generosity? Why in the world would these politicians in Florida say something so freaking stupid? They are probably wondering why the media is lambasting them? :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

In early March my wife and I visited Ole Miss with my adopted bi-racial son, who if you saw him walking down the street you would say he is black. My wife and I are white. We were fortunate enough to hook up with a girl who we knew from home who had just graduated and was a grad student. She jumped in our car and we drove the campus and surrounding area. She told us everything we needed to know including this...if you go 15 minutes off the campus you will see folks picking cotton. That was her way of saying there is plenty of the old south still happening down there. My son has decided to attend James Madison University next fall.
Typical Lax Dad

KI Dock Bar wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:50 pm In early March my wife and I visited Ole Miss with my adopted bi-racial son, who if you saw him walking down the street you would say he is black. My wife and I are white. We were fortunate enough to hook up with a girl who we knew from home who had just graduated and was a grad student. She jumped in our car and we drove the campus and surrounding area. She told us everything we needed to know including this...if you go 15 minutes off the campus you will see folks picking cotton. That was her way of saying there is plenty of the old south still happening down there. My son has decided to attend James Madison University next fall.
Life isn’t as simple as it should be. My mother is from Mississippi. I have zero interest in setting foot in that State. Hoping your son has a great experience at JMU.
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Bragging about teaching them blacksmithing skills. Just don’t teach them how to read and write.

https://oaklandliteracycoalition.org/li ... or%20write.
Typical Lax Dad

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:16 am Bragging about teaching them blacksmithing skills. Just don’t teach them how to read and write.

Thank God it took slavery to teach black people these skills:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacksm ... 0societies.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:40 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:16 am Bragging about teaching them blacksmithing skills. Just don’t teach them how to read and write.

And yet OS is busy arguing with a fan over this...
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:37 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:40 am

And yet OS is busy arguing with a fan over this...
“Ironworking made farming, hunting, and war much more efficient. Iron allowed for greater growth in societies. With the ability to support larger communities came social growth and the development of large kingdoms, which spread across Western Africa.”

Skills picked up as a slave I suppose.

https://www.voanews.com/a/how-enslaved- ... 14817.html

“Fruits and vegetables brought from Africa flourished in America in large part because enslaved Africans planted their own gardens to supplement the meager rations provided by their captors.”
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Tim Scott has it wrong….he’s too sensitive.

“Republican politicians have also spoken out, with South Carolina Senator Tim Scott, another presidential candidate, saying in a recent town hall that slavery had "no silver lining."

"What slavery was really about [was] separating families, about mutilating humans and even raping their wives," said Scott, who is the Senate's only Black Republican. "It was just devastating. So, I would hope that every person in our country — and certainly running for president — would appreciate that."
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It is difficult for me to understand how anyone can rationalize slavery having a “silver lining”. Qwhite the sentiment.

Return to “POLITICS”