Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:35 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:08 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:56 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:00 am 72 should have said right wing, self-annointed "Christians" rather than simply Christians.

His point was valid. So was Kismet's.

I read youth's post as a sneer; feel free to correct that impression if you'd like, youth.

If you are wondering whether gender identity struggles had anything to do with the shooter's motivation, so am I. We likely will learn more from the manifesto left by the shooter. Meanwhile, I think we can wait a heartbeat.

What we do know, apparently, is that the shooter had a bunch of high capacity rapid fire weapons, "legally obtained", and used them to kill children and adults at a "Christian" school they had attended as a child. Fortunately, the killing was stopped by the police before the massacre was even worse.
No sneer at all. This IS the age we live in, when I read it was reported that it was a female my spidey senses went up, as I noted.

I am also looking forward to learning more, but will guess that we will not learn anything IF it goes against the grain of the LGBTQ+ community...it most certainly will go against Christianity, they are always a target, and know this.

Wonder if they will announce if the shooter was on any meds, short and/or long term....also a tox report should be mandatory information shared to the public for all criminals post autopsy.
Why do you think "Christianity, they are always a target, and know this"???
Do you mean the self annointed, exclusionary "Christians" who, unlike Christ's instructions, decide who gets to go to heaven and who not? Might that bother everyone else, including Christians who don't share those exclusionary bigotries?

And what is the "grain of the LGBTQ+ community"...a desire for respect, not bigotry?

Back to the shooter. Apparently born female (Audrey), but identifies as male (Aiden), at least some of the time. Reporting isn't fully clear on that yet.

By "meds", are you suggesting that too much testosterone might be the problem?

Heck of a lot of trans that direction never commit violent acts, so pretty darn unlikely to realistically ascribe this to such, but hey, if that makes you more comfortable than wondering whether the shooter had been bullied as a child for their sense of "difference"...

Me, I'll wait until we know more...
I am speaking general terms....Christians, in general are a target by those that are not. WE see it daily, everywhere.
Media does not want to remotely touch any connotation that could be perceived as a negative WRT to LGBTQ+.
Meds in general...completely unrelated to any one demo. But in this instance, it could be testosterone or some gene therapy, or Psych meds.

I agree, we do need to wait, but we can certainly discuss hypotheticals, knowing they are not facts.
Which "Christians"?

I can assure you that I don't feel I'm a "target" because I'm Christian, but then I'm not bigoted against those who aren't "Christian" in the ways that exclusionary "Christians" say they are.

Do you see the difference?
Or is the "WE" defined as exclusionary "Christian" and I'm not "Christian"?

As to "Media", there's a heck of a lot of "Media" that is openly hostile to LGBTQ+...or do you just mean not right-wing propagandist "media" TV, newspapers, internet sites, etc...just the 'media' where they at least attempt to exercise journalism with a broad audience? What some would call "mainstream"?

Yup, mainstream media is not going to purposely insult the LGBTQ+ community...why? Because the mainstream audience wants people treated with basic respect on those matters. Not so on hard right wing media.

The right wing has lost its sh-t on this topic ever since marriage became the law of the land. Blows their mind. Never mind that an overwhelming majority of Americans support marriage equality rights. It's not "Christian" according to right wing "believers" and the grifters who play them for money and votes.

I understand an interest in looking at whether various meds could cause a person to act violently, (totally independent of this particular person) but it's far more likely that if meds were present in such cases, they were an indication that the person was actually getting some sort of care for their mental challenges...more likely that going off of one's meds would be the trigger for a schizophrenic or such event. Not that the meds caused the violence.
Meds can and do cause violence, certainly you must know that.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:00 am 72 should have said right wing, self-annointed "Christians" rather than simply Christians.

I read youth's post as a sneer; feel free to correct that impression if you'd like, youth.

If you are wondering whether gender identity struggles had anything to do with the shooter's motivation, so am I. We likely will learn more from the manifesto left by the shooter. Meanwhile, I think we can wait a heartbeat.

What we do know, apparently, is that the shooter had a bunch of high capacity rapid fire weapons, "legally obtained", and used them to kill children and adults at a "Christian" school they had attended as a child. Fortunately, the killing was stopped by the police before the massacre was even worse.
No sneer at all. This IS the age we live in, when I read it was reported that it was a female my spidey senses went up, as I noted.

I am also looking forward to learning more, but will guess that we will not learn anything IF it goes against the grain of the LGBTQ+ community...it most certainly will go against Christianity, they are always a target, and know this.

Wonder if they will announce if the shooter was on any meds, short and/or long term....also a tox report should be mandatory information shared to the public for all criminals post autopsy.
... the majority of US so-called Christians bring it on themselves. Christianity atleast in the US has been in an advantaged position since forever. Today we have a large number of those folks who believe it is their position to bully and rule over those who don't follow their religion. They feel a loss of position in the pecking order, it is their GOD GIVEN RIGHT. These people aren't targets, until they make themselves targets. :roll: They would do better if they behaved like real Christians.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:01 am

Do you mean the self annointed, exclusionary "Christians" who, unlike Christ's instructions, decide who gets to go to heaven and who not? Might that bother everyone else, including Christians who don't share those exclusionary bigotries?

And what is the "grain of the LGBTQ+ community"...a desire for respect, not bigotry?

Back to the shooter. Apparently born female (Audrey), but identifies as male (Aiden), at least some of the time. Reporting isn't fully clear on that yet.

Heck of a lot of trans that direction never commit violent acts, so pretty darn unlikely to realistically ascribe this to such, but hey, if that makes you more comfortable than wondering whether the shooter had been bullied as a child for their sense of "difference"...

I am speaking general terms....Christians, in general are a target by those that are not. WE see it daily, everywhere.
Media does not want to remotely touch any connotation that could be perceived as a negative WRT to LGBTQ+.
Meds in general...completely unrelated to any one demo. But in this instance, it could be testosterone or some gene therapy, or Psych meds.

I agree, we do need to wait, but we can certainly discuss hypotheticals, knowing they are not facts.
Which "Christians"?

I can assure you that I don't feel I'm a "target" because I'm Christian, but then I'm not bigoted against those who aren't "Christian" in the ways that exclusionary "Christians" say they are.

As to "Media", there's a heck of a lot of "Media" that is openly hostile to LGBTQ+...or do you just mean not right-wing propagandist "media" TV, newspapers, internet sites, etc...just the 'media' where they at least attempt to exercise journalism with a broad audience? What some would call "mainstream"?

Yup, mainstream media is not going to purposely insult the LGBTQ+ community...why? Because the mainstream audience wants people treated with basic respect on those matters. Not so on hard right wing media.

The right wing has lost its sh-t on this topic ever since marriage became the law of the land. Blows their mind. Never mind that an overwhelming majority of Americans support marriage equality rights. It's not "Christian" according to right wing "believers" and the grifters who play them for money and votes.

I understand an interest in looking at whether various meds could cause a person to act violently, (totally independent of this particular person) but it's far more likely that if meds were present in such cases, they were an indication that the person was actually getting some sort of care for their mental challenges...more likely that going off of one's meds would be the trigger for a schizophrenic or such event. Not that the meds caused the violence.
Which meds?
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Guns bad

Post by runrussellrun »

If "guns" and killing are bad, why does that same person want to give guns and the ability to kill, to humans in another country?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:24 pm

Which "Christians"?

Which meds?
Stop being deliberately obtuse and go find someone else to dig on, for a yet another one your 'gotcha' intentions. :roll:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:46 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:24 pm

Which "Christians"?

Which meds?
Stop being deliberately obtuse and go find someone else to dig on, for a yet another one your 'gotcha' intentions. :roll:
I was wondering what meds has caused a transgender individual to shoot up a school building….usually it’s someone “off their meds”…. What you call ‘gotcha’….I call ‘facts and data to substantiate’ what is often an educated guess. I don’t live in fantasy land.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:02 am Another case of parents oblivious or callous to adult child hoarding guns, cammo gear, vests, etc at their home. I just don’t understand how that keeps happening. You have to wonder if parents had tried to get her some therapy relief or just ask her to pray.

Tennessee allows open carry for 21+ and there is current legislation to make it 18+. I’ll bet that goes through with ease.
So now it’s revealed by parents that shooter has an undisclosed mental disorder. Shooter had also purchased and had possession of seven firearms.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:47 am

... the majority of US so-called Christians bring it on themselves. Christianity atleast in the US has been in an advantaged position since forever. Today we have a large number of those folks who believe it is their position to bully and rule over those who don't follow their religion. They feel a loss of position in the pecking order, it is their GOD GIVEN RIGHT. These people aren't targets, until they make themselves targets. :roll: They would do better if they behaved like real Christians.
By " real Christians" you must mean Christians that vote strait line democRAT? :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:27 pm

By " real Christians" you must mean Christians that vote strait line democRAT? :D
I can see why you say that. It is certainly difficult to find a real Christian that is voting for republiCONs these days.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:47 pm

I can see why you say that. It is certainly difficult to find a real Christian that is voting for republiCONs these days.
I don't even know how you define a real Christian? IMO a real Christian wouldn't have anything to do with organized religion. Organized religion is where the bastardization of Christianity begins.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:08 pm

I don't even know how you define a real Christian? IMO a real Christian wouldn't have anything to do with organized religion. Organized religion is where the bastardization of Christianity begins.
This professor at Wayne State, reminds me of JHU72: https://www.yaf.org/news/wayne-state-pr ... rees-with/
~Livy

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:21 pm

This professor at Wayne State, reminds me of JHU72: https://www.yaf.org/news/wayne-state-pr ... rees-with/
He MUST be one of those REAL CHRISTIANS. Like his Muslim brethren I could see this guy throwing people that abhor his beliefs off of tall buildings.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which "Christians"?

Which meds?
"Psych meds"???
"gene therapy" meds???

Or do you mean testosterone...steroids...?
I dunno, have read about steroid rage, but never heard of someone going on a pre-planned mass killing spree because of it. That sounds more like schizophrenia or other severe disorder. so, I'm pretty darn skeptical of any meds related to gender specifically being a causal factor.

How about my questions above?
I'm seriously interested in honest, frank answers.
I'll respect such, regardless of whether I agree with your view.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

First, this egghead ain't claiming to any level of Christian belief, not sure he was raised Christian at all, could well be Jewish or atheist. I looked at his wiki, personal blog and vitae...no claims of acting on behalf of Christ or any other religion that I saw on quick review.

Second, he was trying to make an argument that shouting down people with whom one disagrees vehemently is ineffective...he tries to make his point with an extreme statement about morality, and misses the mark badly IMO.

I think what '72 is saying that, in his view, "real" Christians are far more charitable and tolerant and loving of their neighbors, as Christ taught his followers, than what we see from self-acclaimed "Christians". And yes, that latter crowd is largely in the GOP these days, as the GOP has actively courted them based on their bigotries...that said, I know a bunch of evangelicals who are not associating with the GOP...disgusted by what they see. As am I.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:41 pm

First, this egghead ain't claiming to any level of Christian belief, not sure he was raised Christian at all, could well be Jewish or atheist. I looked at his wiki, personal blog and vitae...no claims of acting on behalf of Christ or any other religion that I saw on quick review.

Second, he was trying to make an argument that shouting down people with whom one disagrees vehemently is ineffective...he tries to make his point with an extreme statement about morality, and misses the mark badly IMO.

I think what '72 is saying that, in his view, "real" Christians are far more charitable and tolerant and loving of their neighbors, as Christ taught his followers, than what we see from self-acclaimed "Christians". And yes, that latter crowd is largely in the GOP these days, as the GOP has actively courted them based on their bigotries...that said, I know a bunch of evangelicals who are not associating with the GOP...disgusted by what they see. As am I.
👍
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The spin doctor keeps on playing the hits. Does the good doctor need you to extrapolate his logic for him? Maybe the good doctor can chime in to clear up what it is you think he meant to say. :roll:
Bob Ross:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Interesting that there's been a recent groundswell of gun control rhetoric from right wing media on certain minority groups. They're gonna use any and every opportunity to disarm the disenfranchised like they did decades ago.

They'll abandon recent cornerstone policy stances the second it benefits them gaining power or "owning the libs".

2nd for me, not for thee...
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:36 pm Interesting that there's been a recent groundswell of gun control rhetoric from right wing media on certain minority groups. They're gonna use any and every opportunity to disarm the disenfranchised like they did decades ago.

They'll abandon recent cornerstone policy stances the second it benefits them gaining power or "owning the libs".

2nd for me, not for thee...
That really stinks. Those FRC fanatics are disenfranchising black people so they can't vote. Then those rascals want to deny black people their right to own firearms. Here in my little corner of Upstate NY owning a firearm is as simple as the guy your friend knows who has a 9mm for sale. No need for a background check, just bring cold hard cash. You made a slanderous accusation without providing one iota of proof. You should have prefaced your post with IMO. I'm giving you the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is. If you can make your case that those radical FRC maniacs are violating anyones right to own a firearm put up or shutup...
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hence I skip church while the wife sets the kids most Sundays and makes them acolyte and she does the ward/vestry thing. The dichotomy is intense.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yes of course that’s what 72 was saying and of course one person missed it like a Rocky Wild Thing Vaughn fastball. Though his point about houses of worship fall into the faux religious camp often from me view.

Have said this before, it’s piety vs religious.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)

Return to “POLITICS”