Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:33 pm
molo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:22 pm The freshman starting in goal for UVA was regarded the number one incoming goalie. A former MVP of championship weekend opted not to use his extra year, and a guy who started a couple of games last year transferred. Stories vary, but the younger guy became the starter. In short, Nunes is not an ordinary freshman starter.
While plenty of the concerns voiced about this team are valid, don’t overreact to the beat down at the hands of UVA. This weekend things have begun to sort things out a little more. It’s clearer than ever that two teams are ahead of the pack. Maryland and Virginia are going to blow it more than a couple of very good teams this year.
Yes, all that is true, and that is my point. Several posters indicate that Milliman needs more time (years?) to recruit guys (plural?) for his system. Yet, a top 1/2 team that is loaded with talent can still recruit a top HS kid who is playing well in a starting role, regardless of the "stories". Why can't Milliman and his team recruit at least ONE guy -- offense or defense -- to contribute? 'Go to UVA and you might ride pine for a couple of years, choose The Hop and you can get major minutes right away.'
As 51 alluded to I think you need to give a bit of a pass to this Hopkins freshman class. When Milliman took over all of the top recruits were already committed. He managed to flip a couple of his former Cornell recruits, plus Bowler (who is hurt) from Binghamton and Phillips from Vermont. He kept the top recruit in Todaro (who is also hurt), along with Teachout and Kaufman (who has played a bit, though LSM is suddenly a pretty deep group for us). That's already almost the entire class, which is quite small — much smaller than previous ones. Callahan has contributed and is the #2 FOGO with Narewski out. I think it's a pretty good bet that next year's incoming class will get a bit more run early on and at least one or two of them are in my eyes quite likely to be major contributors. How people feel about Spallina being a sure thing...that's how I feel about Collison. He's a 6'4'' manchild who can shoot the absolute crap out of the ball, has both midfield and attack versatility and soft hands from playing box his whole life. If a kid like that can't come in and contribute then I don't know who can.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

GSP wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:19 pm
Top 8 ranking every year? Top 10, Top 15? Tourney invite 4 out of 5 years, or 3 of 5? Big10 AQ every 2 or 3 years? Final Four once every 5 years? NCAA title every 7 or 8 years?

Criticism of coaching, recruiting, players' size, offense, defense aside, what are the fan's expectations?
I think that's about right. Tourney most years. True contender B1G AQ every 4-5 years. Title and a good 2-3 year stretch of true contention once a decade. There are just too many good programs these days to expect much more than that. What I described sounds a lot like Carolina's recent history. That sound fair?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:09 pm
In coming years the target to "get back to" at least is certainly along the lines of where teams like Notre Dame or North Carolina have kind of existed for most of the last 15 years. Putting a specific number on that is hard but "generally in or around the top 10 most years, likely to make the playoffs most years, in the conversation". Ideally you'd like to have some periods of especially good classes that lead to some years where you're a legit title contender or top tournament seed like Maryland has going for them right now.

No one is expecting JHU lacrosse of the 70s and 80s.
It does seem doubtful we can ever reach that pinnacle again, but two of our biggest rivals in that era were Maryland and Virginia. Both those programs are now soaring. They've both won NC's in recent years and are perennial Final Four teams.
IT CAN BE DONE!
Even in this modern era, it can be done. MD and UVA are doing it.
I hate to beat a dead horse, but the program fell a notch in 2009, the same year that RD took over.
There just isn't the commitment at the top anymore. It's not like we have Muller or Brody anymore. Those guys were absolutely committed to the sport.
I just don't see that from RD. I don't. He seems to barely care.
The history and tradition of the school is something that can be leveraged. At this point the luster is a bit off the brand.
Whether it's financial aid, sky high tuition, or who knows what, without that commitment from the top I just don't see the school soaring again.
Maybe UVA and UMD offer in-state tuition. UNC would pull every kind of trick. Somehow that playing field has to get leveled. Duke and ND have done well in recent years and they are private schools. But we seem to be losing the recruiting wars and the transfer wars.
Time will tell if PM will get us back into the conversation, but in any case my understanding is that he has a five year contract and for good or ill, we are stuck with him until then. From his perspective, reaching a Final Four before year five would be in his best interest if he wants to stick around. He might need to fight with the admin to achieve that, I don't know, but I hope he figures it out sooner rather than later.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Utah taking down Jax, so one of our wins is not looking so good right now.
molo

Post by molo »

16-10 Utes
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Do the faithful here think Hop will still be in the top 20 tomorrow?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

That win was never likely to hold up RPI-wise. The rest of Jax's schedule is just too weak. Even if they had kept winning, their RPI would slowly drop.

Have to win at least two of the next three to still be in the hunt. 5-4 to start B1G play, you've at least got a chance.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:22 pm Do the faithful here think Hop will still be in the top 20 tomorrow?
nah, bro
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:37 pm
In coming years the target to "get back to" at least is certainly along the lines of where teams like Notre Dame or North Carolina have kind of existed for most of the last 15 years. Putting a specific number on that is hard but "generally in or around the top 10 most years, likely to make the playoffs most years, in the conversation". Ideally you'd like to have some periods of especially good classes that lead to some years where you're a legit title contender or top tournament seed like Maryland has going for them right now.

It does seem doubtful we can ever reach that pinnacle again, but two of our biggest rivals in that era were Maryland and Virginia. Both those programs are now soaring. They've both won NC's in recent years and are perennial Final Four teams.
IT CAN BE DONE!
I hate to beat a dead horse, but the program fell a notch in 2009, the same year that RD took over.
There just isn't the commitment at the top anymore. It's not like we have Muller or Brody anymore. Those guys were absolutely committed to the sport.
The history and tradition of the school is something that can be leveraged. At this point the luster is a bit off the brand.
Whether it's financial aid, sky high tuition, or who knows what, without that commitment from the top I just don't see the school soaring again.
Maybe UVA and UMD offer in-state tuition. UNC would pull every kind of trick. Somehow that playing field has to get leveled. Duke and ND have done well in recent years and they are private schools. But we seem to be losing the recruiting wars and the transfer wars.
Time will tell if PM will get us back into the conversation, but in any case my understanding is that he has a five year contract and for good or ill, we are stuck with him until then. From his perspective, reaching a Final Four before year five would be in his best interest if he wants to stick around. He might need to fight with the admin to achieve that, I don't know, but I hope he figures it out sooner rather than later.
hopkins has the best combo of financial aid and schollys in the country. no idea if they have trouble getting guys in, but it's not dough.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:22 pm Do the faithful here think Hop will still be in the top 20 tomorrow?
23 on the Power Ranking:
http://college.laxpower2.com/menx/rating01.php
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

WDGSR. You don’t have enough data to support the claim imo. The yearly cost is about 70k all in.

There are folks who believe finances play a significant role in narrowing choice
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

No reason why they should, or should not.

To state the obvious, so far Hop has beaten 3 not particularly good teams, and lost badly to 2 good teams plus one very good team. To sum up: not terrible, but not actually good.

Q: Does that get them to #20?
A: Why should anyone (especially JHU) care? For that program, #20 may as well be #40. :oops:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:38 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:37 pm

IT CAN BE DONE!
hopkins has the best combo of financial aid and schollys in the country. no idea if they have trouble getting guys in, but it's not dough.
Who doesnt' remember the "systemic" sports writers, lambasting Moses Malone for going pro out of HIGH school, forgoing all that "free" education. More like Maryland hoops tickets sales and apparel benefitting, but the point IS scholarships.

what is the useless n$aa's philosophy behind scholarships, for any sport? to provide opportunities to those that are economically unforutnate, and getting educations to make our society better ?

Or, to divide the 12.6 mens scholarships amongst 50 families, giving $1k or $500 drips and drabs scholarships to "preferrred " walkons, on helping the $wells at cocktail parties proof, that they are NOT lying, about getting a Hopkins lacrosse scholarship.

Thought the n$aa put Hopkins on probation for some paperwork violations, or was that "enforced " last season.

What IS the purpose of scholarship allotments, if only the upper middle class is benefitting.

n$aa has got to put an end to this scholarship pie, rich kid "preferred walkons".

Lacrosse a "non-revenue" sport :lol:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:44 am WDGSR. You don’t have enough data to support the claim imo. The yearly cost is about 70k all in.

There are folks who believe finances play a significant role in narrowing choice
Duke, ND, Georgetown, Syracuse, UVA (out of state), Lehigh, Villanova, BU, and the Ivies all cost about the same and in many cases more. Pretty much every private university with a relevant D1 lacrosse program now costs in the range of 57k-62k for tuition, plus whatever else for room and board, books, etc. Even Denver costs 55k for tuition alone. Our pals up at Syracuse are paying 57. Hopkins is not remotely an outlier.
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:18 am
23 on the Power Ranking:
http://college.laxpower2.com/menx/rating01.php
Pay less attention to these rankings and more to RPI. We are #11 in RPI with the #1 SOS, according to Lax Reference.

RPI-wise, we have wins over #16, #25, and #34, with losses to #2, #4, and #6.

We still have games left against #3, #5, #9, #18, #21, #33, #36, and #40.

The magic number for this team I think is 8 wins. Finish out 5-3 — doable, even with how badly we looked against UVA — and we'll be in the mix. Going 4-4 to finish the regular season 7-7 might still give you an at-large worthy RPI but we'd have to win at least one B1G tourney game to ensure we finish above .500 to qualify. Go 3-5 or worse and it's B1G title or bust. Winning this Sunday would go a long way.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:44 am WDGSR. You don’t have enough data to support the claim imo. The yearly cost is about 70k all in.

Not sure this time of year that a discussion of Hopkins' relative affordability and admission requirements is appropriate, as we have at least two thirds of the year without much actual lax to discuss...

...but seems to me that Hopkins now has excellent affordability metrics for those with need, thanks to Bloomberg, comparable to Ivies, that place Hop more affordable than 'out of state' for quite a few state universities. Maybe not more affordable than 'in-state' but for those with substantial need, yes.

Admission requirements are significantly higher for the DIII athletes at Hop, but that doesn't appear to be applied the same way to lax.

So, I don't think there's a disadvantage.
But there is a lot of competition.

No idea whether these coaches will get Hop into top contention given time, but I don't think there's any of those affordability reasons why Hop can't be akin to the top Ivy competitors' level, which includes, quarters, final 4 and NC possibilities.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:22 am
OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:44 am The magic number for this team I think is 8 wins. Finish out 5-3 — doable, even with how badly we looked against UVA — and we'll be in the mix. Going 4-4 to finish the regular season 7-7 might still give you an at-large worthy RPI but we'd have to win at least one B1G tourney game to ensure we finish above .500 to qualify. Go 3-5 or worse and it's B1G title or bust. Winning this Sunday would go a long way.
Appreciate the optimism, 16. You're not wrong, but it's just hard to see after the last two weeks. Getting Nawreski back would be huge. The lack of possessions the last two weeks (or 1.5) has put an enormous amount of pressure on D and the O also presses as a result. I don't blame Dunn at all. He's been fine, you just can't expect him to take almost every draw and have success against quality fogos.

This week is a very big week. A win and things are fine. A loss, particularly a blow-out loss, and things are very, very grim.

PS - what ever happened to Martin? Seems like he's fallen out of favor and I'm not sure why.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:29 am

Not sure this time of year that a discussion of Hopkins' relative affordability and admission requirements is appropriate, as we have at least two thirds of the year without much actual lax to discuss...

...but seems to me that Hopkins now has excellent affordability metrics for those with need, thanks to Bloomberg, comparable to Ivies, that place Hop more affordable than 'out of state' for quite a few state universities. Maybe not more affordable than 'in-state' but for those with substantial need, yes.

Admission requirements are significantly higher for the DIII athletes at Hop, but that doesn't appear to be applied the same way to lax.

No idea whether these coaches will get Hop into top contention given time, but I don't think there's any of those affordability reasons why Hop can't be akin to the top Ivy competitors' level, which includes, quarters, final 4 and NC possibilities.
Or, howz about you let people discuss what they want to, when they want to. ;)

the thread "nanny" act is tiring.........

....and comically, chiming into the very conversation you condemn.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i'm guessing you'll condemn sag's post on the topic at any time now.
- rwsdg
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:37 pm I hate to beat a dead horse, but the program fell a notch in 2009, the same year that RD took over.
I think you must love to beat a dead horse but I think 2009 had more to do with Rabil/Huntley/Peyser leaving than Daniels arriving

You are correct however 2009 is the mark when things started going downhill - UVA administered the worst playoff loss in history to date that year (Duke and Brown maybe have trumped it since) . Here's the freshman class of that year:
- Trevor Brown
- Hunter Rodgers (a favorite whipping boy of '06s if I recall)
- Tom Palasek
- Gavin Crisafulli
- Will McCance
- Marshall Burkhardt
- Steven Burke
- Andrew Cote
- Guy Sykle
- John Davis
- Andrew Blasko
- Scott Matthews
- Tyler Mordecai

Palasek was the big star - he never saw eye to eye with Petro and ended up transferring to Cuse with fairly minimal production at Hopkins. And I don't mean to call these kids out but it is virtually a completely lost class. Crisafulli played some in his upperclass years, Burkhardt became a serviceable SSDM but the class was a disaster - no other way to put it - you recruited 2 goalies - neither played and 5 poles where only 1 played even some minutes. I think other than a Burkhardt transition goal in 2012 - this class did not score another goal their senior year

Now it is true that Hopkins enjoyed some success in 11 and 12 when they were the upperclassmen. Think about what could have happened if that class had anybody that played to show leadership on the field and score some goals.

Then Petro sold his soul to the early recruiting devil and it all went downhill from there.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:37 pm The history and tradition of the school is something that can be leveraged. At this point the luster is a bit off the brand.
Your key phrase is "who knows what" because nobody can provide a single concrete detail on what this commitment needs to look like. The only thing I have heard with respect to lacrosse is that they may have been childish in interpreting Petro's contract to avoid paying him a couple months. If they really did that - that is bogus. Oh - that and the bubble in the back - which I do not believe has anything to do with recruiting. No lacrosse bubble I know of in Charlottesville - 150 miles away. It gets plenty cold there in the winter. Average January temperature is 2 degrees warmer than Baltimore

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the financial aid rules and "stacking or not stacking" etc etc or what Hopkins can do now but I think it is a true statement that Hopkins is still fully funded for the 12.6. So Beyond anything else - if you have a decent eye for talent, shrink the roster, construct the roster intelligently (i.e. don't end up with 7 of the same type of player) you should be able to put a product on the field that at least looks like it belongs on the field.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:41 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:29 am

Or, howz about you let people discuss what they want to, when they want to. ;)

the thread "nanny" act is tiring.........

....and comically, chiming into the very conversation you condemn.

:roll: :lol:

Of course people can, and will, discuss whatever they darn well want...but seems to me that we have plenty of time to discuss that sort of topic other times of the year....that's simply my opinion...but go ahead and track every post I make and go into personal attack mode...so persuasive.

And yeah, IMO, Hopkins can do just fine given its affordability and admission requirements.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend focusing on the current team, players and coaches, and root for them to do their best.

But if folks want to continue to chew on this bone, that's up to them.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”