Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:12 pm Sorry if I missed the discussion of it, but just noticed- Hopkins isn't playing Towson this year?
What was the reasoning behind that? Any chance that series gets restarted?
quint said on the broadcast that unc was supposed to be the game last weekend but it was moved to midweek bc of the acc schedule. I would imagine if those acc games continue those move back to the weekends and that opens up midweek games. Towson is a short commute. Quint didn't say anything on the future of the utah games.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:30 am My expansion topic is the schedule. Did not quite remember or focus on it but 5 games in 15 days - 2 games in 3 days and 2 games in 2 days is a bit much with your conference season - and an away game - the very next week. I sincerely hope this is not the schedule next year.
The schedule is basically idiotic. I get the desire to play one set of games relatively close to give the team some sense of what to do when playing tournament games - particularly on MD Weekend (not that this team with be there). It probably makes sense to do that once a year (with correctly picked opponents) But, they did this last year when no one thought FF was a possibility and all it did was result in a losses when kids legs got tired. Millman did it last year and went 1-3 in the 2 weekend set up type games. This year is even worse because now there are 3 sets of games in this bunched up scenario with a good chance of going 1-5 in those games.

As I said, even other coaches don't understand.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:17 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:12 pm Sorry if I missed the discussion of it, but just noticed- Hopkins isn't playing Towson this year?
quint said on the broadcast that unc was supposed to be the game last weekend but it was moved to midweek bc of the acc schedule. I would imagine if those acc games continue those move back to the weekends and that opens up midweek games. Towson is a short commute. Quint didn't say anything on the future of the utah games.
Towson having to accommodate two additional CAA opponents this year probably didn't help things. It's hard to schedule these days with all of the conference changes. The ACC's bizarre 6-game conference schedule with only 5 teams threw a wrench into their OOC opponents' schedules. I would expect the Towson game to come back at some point. PM is on the record as saying he wants Princeton back as well. The staff wants all of the traditional rivalries but it's pretty much impossible to keep every single one in a given year. Ideally we'd have Princeton and Towson back on instead of Jacksonville and Utah. I don't see much clamoring for a return of the UMBC or Mount games but maybe you replace the Hoyas with one of them if you're looking to lighten the load with an easier on-paper matchup.

I am not a fan of playing two games in three days except when one of the two opponents is a cupcake, which is not the case for us. Don't really care if it's meant to prepare you for Memorial Day Weekend. You have to get there first to worry about that. Launch the doubleheaders into the sun.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:26 pm
Towson having to accommodate two additional CAA opponents this year probably didn't help things. It's hard to schedule these days with all of the conference changes. The ACC's bizarre 6-game conference schedule with only 5 teams threw a wrench into their OOC opponents' schedules. I would expect the Towson game to come back at some point. PM is on the record as saying he wants Princeton back as well. The staff wants all of the traditional rivalries but it's pretty much impossible to keep every single one in a given year. Ideally we'd have Princeton and Towson back on instead of Jacksonville and Utah. I don't see much clamoring for a return of the UMBC or Mount games but maybe you replace the Hoyas with one of them if you're looking to lighten the load with an easier on-paper matchup.

I am not a fan of playing two games in three days except when one of the two opponents is a cupcake, which is not the case for us. Don't really care if it's meant to prepare you for Memorial Day Weekend. You have to get there first to worry about that. Launch the doubleheaders into the sun.
Thanks guys. Just glad to hear there's still a possibility of that coming back. Hopefully sooner than later.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the acc, two years late, has supposedly decided the 6 game schedule was a bust. so the ~2 early acc games per team on weekends (with late schedule announcements) will go away mostly, except for the random ealry cuse-uva matchup maybe.

unc almost certainly will come back to hopkins' last feb week, and uva 1st week of march if they can come off richmond or another date if they can't. my guess is st. joe's and utah are 1 year contracts for hopkins.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

LaxAllStars wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:31 pm Top 20 with lengthy JHU write up.

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... y-27-2023/
Assuming people are getting better
melendez-degnon-angelus (krampf)
Then you have to figure out the midfield
Peshko-Grimes-Bauer was the start but collison has played very well
Then there's the second line
chauvette evans stuart phillips (a popular guy on the forum) english mcdermmott-if he's healthy
Defense
smith and mazzone both have 5 starts, ruddy has 4 and brown has the other one but szulak has seen a lot of the field in the past.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:44 pm
LaxAllStars wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:31 pm Top 20 with lengthy JHU write up.

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... y-27-2023/
Assuming people are getting better
melendez-degnon-angelus (krampf)
Then you have to figure out the midfield
Peshko-Grimes-Bauer was the start but collison has played very well
Then there's the second line
chauvette evans stuart phillips (a popular guy on the forum) english mcdermmott-if he's healthy
Defense
smith and mazzone both have 5 starts, ruddy has 4 and brown has the other one but szulak has seen a lot of the field in the past.
Must-win game against St. Joe’s coming up. This will be the fifth game (out of 6) where the Blue Jays played a ranked team.

Possessions won’t be easy to come by. Blue Jays will need to win their share of faceoffs, cause turnovers, and win a lot of gbs to get this victory.

If Hopkins wants a reasonable shot at a winning record, they will need to win two of the next three against St. Joe’s, UVA, and SU. That’s a really tough haul.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

Do we think Degnon returns next game or is he out?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Wonder how a big boy line of Grimes Peshko Collison would do?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:30 pm Wonder how a big boy line of Grimes Peshko Collison would do?
I would welcome it. The biggest and most skilled on one line would be a lot to deal with. Talk about a drop off after your best three midfielders. They would need to rest at some point and the next men up so far have been underwhelming.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:52 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:30 pm Wonder how a big boy line of Grimes Peshko Collison would do?
I would welcome it. The biggest and most skilled on one line would be a lot to deal with. Talk about a drop off after your best three midfielders. They would need to rest at some point and the next men up so far have been underwhelming.
have to admit, questioned how you might spin this one negative, but kudos.

was collison still mixing in some with the 1s on saturday?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:08 pm was collison still mixing in some with the 1s on saturday?
Started and played pretty much exclusively with the 1s although there was still some shifting around due to Degnon's absence at attack. Hard to tell exactly what the lineup will be when everyone is healthy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:08 pm was collison still mixing in some with the 1s on saturday?
Started and played pretty much exclusively with the 1s although there was still some shifting around due to Degnon's absence at attack. Hard to tell exactly what the lineup will be when everyone is healthy
thx. collison came in as an att? wonder what the chances are he may land there before the season is out. short pole/long pole doesn't seem to make a diff getting his shot off.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:36 pm
thx. collison came in as an att? wonder what the chances are he may land there before the season is out. short pole/long pole doesn't seem to make a diff getting his shot off.
Should have specificed — midfield 1s, he came in through the box but did invert once or twice. Also played on EMO. Agree — sooner or later they're not going to want to take him off the field. Might already be at that point
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:43 pm
Should have specificed — midfield 1s, he came in through the box but did invert once or twice. Also played on EMO. Agree — sooner or later they're not going to want to take him off the field. Might already be at that point
i did mean he came in/recruited as an attackman. it's not like there hasn't been some precedent.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

I think we're at that point. To me, Crawley's offense seems pretty much position-less, and if you watch him during games, he's running the box pretty actively. I don't think A vs M matters much. To the extent it does matter, it's which players you don't want caught on D on a turnover (and even then, he's run guys like Bauer and Melendez out of the box). 1st vs 2nd line M seems not to matter at all.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:02 pm
I think we're at that point. To me, Crawley's offense seems pretty much position-less, and if you watch him during games, he's running the box pretty actively. I don't think A vs M matters much. To the extent it does matter, it's which players you don't want caught on D on a turnover (and even then, he's run guys like Bauer and Melendez out of the box). 1st vs 2nd line M seems not to matter at all.
Other than early recruiting and the names on the doors what is the difference then between pm/jc pm/jg and dp/bb offenses?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:08 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:52 pm
have to admit, questioned how you might spin this one negative, but kudos.
Hey if you want to pretend the midfielders 4 through 9 are elite or even productive it’s your world and I’ll just live in it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You're going to be hard-pressed to find a ton of teams whose midfielders four through nine are elite. By my count that group for us has accounted for ~10 goals through five games, or about two per game. That could be better but...that's not terrible? Teams really aren't getting a ton of production outside of their top 6 these days. The revolving door due to injuries hasn't helped that group be consistent or develop chemistry. Evans just came back and immediately put some points on the board and English is just getting his feet wet. Between those two guys, Bauer/Peshko (whichever one gets bumped down to account for Collison's ascendance), Phillips, and, apparently, now Future Tewaaraton Winner Ian Krampf, they've got the pieces to put together a second line that can hold its own. But it's never going to blow you away. What team has a second line that's blowing people away?

PS: English didn't score last weekend but two of his wing dodges led directly to goals because he was able to create separation and get the defense rotating. It's only a matter of time for this kid. If you've seen his tape at Lawrenceville he is alarmingly quick.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”