Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by runrussellrun »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:05 am Its not even really about matching up size for size necessarily but it is going to be an uphill battle for a 5-9 player going up against a 6-7 redwood like Cole Kastner. To get away from someone like that is going to require an elite first step which we don't seem to have on the roster at the moment. Your only other option is to actually be comfortable with operating while you have a man draped all over you, I don't know if we have that on the roster either at least not anyone who is apparently fully healthy.
Hopkins does NOT have any defenders that perform in a manner that would be considered "draped all over you", so tough to practice that, in practice.

What else you guys got to point too......not having enough game balls on the endline :D
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:05 am Its not even really about matching up size for size necessarily but it is going to be an uphill battle for a 5-9 player going up against a 6-7 redwood like Cole Kastner. To get away from someone like that is going to require an elite first step which we don't seem to have on the roster at the moment. Your only other option is to actually be comfortable with operating while you have a man draped all over you, I don't know if we have that on the roster either at least not anyone who is apparently fully healthy.
Agreed. It even matters when you are 165-170 lbs - you're not even dodging against a UVA monster but just a very good D1 athlete that outweighs you by at least 20 - up to 35-40 lbs - all over the field - you get pushed and all of a sudden you're running up the sideline not the alley. Your reach is not as long either.

Another point - when Hopkins was playing well at the end of the year - when the second midfield stepped on the field - 50% of the offense was 6'4" or better and over 200 lbs. Now with Williams gone - Grimes out - and Peshko reportedly very hampered - you have pretty close to zero. You are now down to Degnon who is not an elite downhill dodger and needs slides to other players so he can shoot.

For the millionth time - nobody ever said a smaller player can't be successful or even a star like Gray, Kavanaugh, Ament, etc etc etc etc. the list is endless. What I am saying is that you are increasing the level of difficulty - especially against big fast defenses - with 5 of them on the field at the same time. It is also a factor - IMO - that Keogh, Angelus, McDermott and Bauer were all X attackmen in high school - I think pretty exclusively - using quickness with their back to the defender alot of the time - only Raposo appears to have been exclusively a midfielder. Again, not saying a high school attackman cannot be a good/great college midfielder - I am saying that having close to 70% of your midfielders like that is decreasing your success rate.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You've got some pretty big dudes in Reen, Teachout, Hicks, and Charboneau, though it doesn't seem like any of them are close to being options at this point. Maybe after Saturday they will be. Hicks has been banged up, Charboneau got out there but not till the benches were emptied on both sides.

Grimes' absence hurt more than I thought it would. That's one less outside shooter defenses have to respect and it's not like we were swimming in them to begin with.

The performance was not good any way you slice it, even worse than what I and most people probably expected, but the Hoos are back-to-back champs for a reason and we were massive underdogs going in so I'm not really sure all these histrionics are warranted, particularly those from a certain poster already talking about a hot seat for a staff in their first year with a fall ball and a roster that's 90% guys they didn't recruit. It's truly asinine to start that discussion without even allowing them a chance to matriculate *a single* recruiting class of their own. The signs on offense are worrisome as I don't think there's an easy fix short of a few guys simply playing better, but at the end of the day the team is 3-3, there is a lot of lacrosse left to play and they showed last year they can improve over the course of a season.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

In the next class Collison, Billings, Smith are all pretty big kids. Iler and English don't appear to be huge. That's not a problem. Iler and English it appears play from the midfield - they are not tiny X attackers being asked to play middie.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Collison is a man among boys. He could step onto a D1 field right now and produce. He's going to help in a number of ways. 06 already wants to fire the staff before that kid even steps foot on campus.

Excited about English too, I had forgotten he switched. His brother is tearing it up for Princeton right now. Not a huge kid but versatile and very skilled.

Iler is the kind of smaller middie you take because he's exceptionally quick and can gain separation. Also pretty creative and plays with a certain confidence/swagger that you see out of a lot of California kids. Jewell in the following class is the same way.

Pretty clear we are at the point of needing Narewski back. Dunn is battling and might be the team MVP of the first 6 games but we need another guy to give the top FOGOs (Tucci, LaSalla, Phaup next weekend) a different kind of look. You don't want to rush him back but seeing as he's been dressed the past two games, he must be close?

I don't get the obsession with Delaney — he was quite good last year and while LSM looked like a possible point of weakness to start the season I've been impressed with Smith and Jennings, and I thought Rodgers played pretty well yesterday. Plus you theoretically have Fernandez coming back at some point (though I've heard his setback may have been more significant than previously believed) so it's really not necessary especially with him coming in off the back of a full basketball season. If he wants to pick up a short stick and score some goals from the midfield I won't stop him.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:46 am

The performance was not good any way you slice it, even worse than what I and most people probably expected, but the Hoos are back-to-back champs for a reason and we were massive underdogs going in so I'm not really sure all these histrionics are warranted, particularly those from a certain poster already talking about a hot seat for a staff in their first year with a fall ball and a roster that's 90% guys they didn't recruit. It's truly asinine to start that discussion without even allowing them a chance to matriculate *a single* recruiting class of their own. The signs on offense are worrisome as I don't think there's an easy fix short of a few guys simply playing better, but at the end of the day the team is 3-3, there is a lot of lacrosse left to play and they showed last year they can improve over the course of a season.
Agree. not the time for handwringing but every fan base has these people. Virginia lost to Cuse twice last season and one was something like a 20-10 blowout. Then look what happened. These things happen to everyone just like an outmanned High Point taking Virginia to 1 goal. You just have to focus on getting better every day and every game and let the chips fall where they may. While I think, with the growth of the game, some of Hop's inherent advantages and regular dominance are in the past, they can still compete for Memorial Day appearances. That may not be what some of you want to hear but it's an outsider's opinion.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Yesterday sucked. But while it was much worse than I expected, it wasn't entirely a surprise. I'm not pulling the ripcord yet. But if next week isn't at least competitive, it might be time. Getting shellacked by a bad Cuse team would be really unpleasant.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:36 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:02 am Hopkins website continues to be useless........trying to purchase tickets for the "cuse game next weekend, but can't find any "covid rules" to attend the game. anyone know the Homewood rules regarding vaxx cards?
I assume this is a joke correct? I'll bite regardless- there is no policy on vaxx cards - indoor policy is easily findable on the web site just like Maryland's - it is mask only - outdoor you are fine I would think
jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:27 pm Delaney is meaningless when we can't win faceoffs, can't clear, can't score, can't not turn the ball over. How did TWO staffs wake up in the morning and say this midfield group is d1 caliber?

Time for fernandez and narewski to make appearances or call it a year. As yogi berra once said, it's getting awfully late early.

Still can't believe benson found another job with this offense or that grant jr had 2 offseasons to add and thought jackson raposo peshko mcdermott bauer chauvette angelus and keogh were a d1 group.
And we are back with '06. This is a horrible take and ignores reality. You speak of adding players like Milliman is a local little league emperor and can add Kelly Leak whenever he wants to. You may recall Hopkins has been often mentioned in some of these stories around highly prized transfers but has not secured any. AND while Milliman has done some hard house cleaning of one of the most bloated rosters in the country - you can't come in and fire everybody. People would have their hair on fire and it would be a recruiting tool used against you. Plus there is no problem with your list as D1 players - the problem is as D1 players all TOGETHER. There are plenty of teams that would like to have Angelus, Keogh etc. Also remind everyone that they were attackmen in high school and are probably playing out of position. When Peshko potted one against Penn State and 4 on Rutgers and we were annointing him the next coming..... well he seemed like a D1 player then did he not?

I think we are all a little perplexed at the drop off in the last two games. This is essentially the same team that won 2 games in the BIG tournament and took Maryland to the end twice. They have not looked good in any phase of the game the last 120 minutes but there are key injuries. Your #1 face-off guy is out - love your take on that btw - let's see how you would deal with someone rearranging your kneecap - you act like he's in a Lay Z Boy eating potato chips. DeSimone does not look as quick to me as last season - everyone is staying with him pretty easily. Peshko has disappeared - there have been posts he's injured. Grimes can't stay on the field - the only difference between last years team and this one is WIlliams and Delaney. I don't think Delaney is the link BUT a big body on offense that could dodge like WIlliams might be a reason. With Grimes out - 67% of your offensive players are 5'11 or less and probaby weigh less than 200 lbs by a fair amount - and Raposo (who I like) Bauer and McDermott are on the small side too. Who recruited these players? Epstein is clearly frustrated and pressing.
So you have no issues with the offensive coaching? Just a guy who is slower than last year, a guy who is frustrated and a bunch of guys under 5’11. Jr. Is a legend, at least in his own mind, shouldn’t he be able to figure something out?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:46 am You've got some pretty big dudes in Reen, Teachout, Hicks, and Charboneau, though it doesn't seem like any of them are close to being options at this point. Maybe after Saturday they will be. Hicks has been banged up, Charboneau got out there but not till the benches were emptied on both sides.

Grimes' absence hurt more than I thought it would. That's one less outside shooter defenses have to respect and it's not like we were swimming in them to begin with.

Agree with everything you wrote, HF16. My big concern is that all 3-losses (yes, albeit to ranked teams) were blowouts. If we lose to 'Cuse, we'll need the BiG AQ. After six games, I'm looking for my Jim Mora playoff meme.

UVa is starting a true Frosh in Goal. How come we can't get at least ONE top recruit to break our starting lineup and be a major contributor?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I don't know what to say about the coaching. No one is putting up the offensive highlights from Johns Hopkins in 2019 and abbreviated 2020 which were coached by different people and had alot of the same albeit younger players. It is not like Jr. came in and destroyed this machine Benson had built. I have been making this comment for a few years - running a whole bunch of small converted attackmen at middie has not been working when you have 4/5 or 6 of them. DeSimone used to be in that group. To my observation I see the following:

- Two of your main outside threats - Grimes and Peshko are clearly or reportedly injured - Grimes has missed two of the 6 games - Peshko certainly has not exhbited the form we were all giddy about from last year
- Given whatever you thought about his abilities - Hopkins has clearly not replaced the dodging threat posed by the 6'5" 220 lbs of Cole WIlliams
- Whether it is a year of Defensive experience or slight injury - DeSimone doesn't look to me like he has the acceleration he had last year - defenders are mostly comfortable taking him one on one and not sliding
- The smurfs are getting pushed off their marks and desired locations - they are not creating slides to feed someone like Degnon - Hopkins sole remaining real outside threat
- Epstein is trying to do way too much

Bottom line - I'm afraid is the old QK line - no one on Hopkins can earn the slides and get the defense moving out of position - you can design all the clever two man games you want - Air Force did beat Duke a couple times didn't they? - but if the defense has no issue with one of the players - it's a simple switch or stay with your guy and those games are then largely ineffective. Plus - I don't care what fatty says - it's easier to blow through a pick when the picker is 5'7 and a buck 60.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Satisfaction is a function of expectation. Reading the comments about the general frustration with the program, I am curious about the fan's expectations concerning Hopkins' lacrosse future. What would be realistic?

Top 8 ranking every year? Top 10, Top 15? Tourney invite 4 out of 5 years, or 3 of 5? Big10 AQ every 2 or 3 years? Final Four once every 5 years? NCAA title every 7 or 8 years?

Criticism of coaching, recruiting, players' size, offense, defense aside, what are the fan's expectations?
molo

Post by molo »

The freshman starting in goal for UVA was regarded the number one incoming goalie. A former MVP of championship weekend opted not to use his extra year, and a guy who started a couple of games last year transferred. Stories vary, but the younger guy became the starter. In short, Nunes is not an ordinary freshman starter.
While plenty of the concerns voiced about this team are valid, don’t overreact to the beat down at the hands of UVA. This weekend things have begun to sort things out a little more. It’s clearer than ever that two teams are ahead of the pack. Maryland and Virginia are going to blow it more than a couple of very good teams this year.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

This team needs to regroup and get a win against Cuse.
Pivotal game.
Hopefully, we see Narewski back this Saturday.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

molo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:22 pm The freshman starting in goal for UVA was regarded the number one incoming goalie. A former MVP of championship weekend opted not to use his extra year, and a guy who started a couple of games last year transferred. Stories vary, but the younger guy became the starter. In short, Nunes is not an ordinary freshman starter.
While plenty of the concerns voiced about this team are valid, don’t overreact to the beat down at the hands of UVA. This weekend things have begun to sort things out a little more. It’s clearer than ever that two teams are ahead of the pack. Maryland and Virginia are going to blow it more than a couple of very good teams this year.
Yes, all that is true, and that is my point. Several posters indicate that Milliman needs more time (years?) to recruit guys (plural?) for his system. Yet, a top 1/2 team that is loaded with talent can still recruit a top HS kid who is playing well in a starting role, regardless of the "stories". Why can't Milliman and his team recruit at least ONE guy -- offense or defense -- to contribute? 'Go to UVA and you might ride pine for a couple of years, choose The Hop and you can get major minutes right away.'
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Regardless of what some pot stirrers who want to dunk on Baltimore as a city would tell you, there's no reason to expect they can't recruit players like that or haven't already. It just cannot magically happen retroactively unless you live in 06s world. Like it would've been great to win the Chris Gray lottery, but we didn't.

Right now the roster is what it is.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

GSP wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:19 pm Criticism of coaching, recruiting, players' size, offense, defense aside, what are the fan's expectations?
That's not a bad question - I wouldn't want to define it in absolute numerical terms - i.e. has to be 4 out of every 5 tournaments. I would like them to be competitive. I am disappointed in the last two games. When you looked at the schedule before the season - you would have almost certainly chalked up L's @G'town @UNC @ UVA. Would not have expected the goal differential to be on average 8 goals and that's with UNC and UVA clearly taking the foot off the gas. As someone pointed out LaSalla was 9 for 10 in FO's and then didn't take another. UVA could have been alot worse.

17-24 to date since the 2019 season.
1-2 vs Loyola
1-2 vs UNC
0-2 vs Syracuse
0-2 vs UVA
2-2 vs Rutgers
2-3 vs MD
0-3 vs Ohio State

6-16 against those 7 teams

That's below expectations IMO. I will admit - the progress I saw through last year in especially trying circumstances increased my expectations for this year. We'll see
Big Dog wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:33 pm Yes, all that is true, and that is my point. Several posters indicate that Milliman needs more time (years?) to recruit guys (plural?) for his system. Yet, a top 1/2 team that is loaded with talent can still recruit a top HS kid who is playing well in a starting role, regardless of the "stories". Why can't Milliman and his team recruit at least ONE guy -- offense or defense -- to contribute? 'Go to UVA and you might ride pine for a couple of years, choose The Hop and you can get major minutes right away.'
There are alot of issues. First and foremost - since you are still not likely to be taking your professional career exclusively in the lacrosse direction - you should choose the school for many reasons. Second, as has been discussed recently, I think Milliman has been rather busy since April of 2020 and recruiting has been affected. He didn't see his currrent players in person until 8 months after he took the job - had multiple decommits from the 21 class because of the coaching change - had no opportunity to see offseason talent or meet recruits from the 22 class. Third, as you just detailed this kid who might have ridden pine at UVA is now starting. We will see if Collison/Marquis etc are difference makers or not in the coming years.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:33 pm
molo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:22 pm The freshman starting in goal for UVA was regarded the number one incoming goalie. A former MVP of championship weekend opted not to use his extra year, and a guy who started a couple of games last year transferred. Stories vary, but the younger guy became the starter. In short, Nunes is not an ordinary freshman starter.
Yes, all that is true, and that is my point. Several posters indicate that Milliman needs more time (years?) to recruit guys (plural?) for his system. Yet, a top 1/2 team that is loaded with talent can still recruit a top HS kid who is playing well in a starting role, regardless of the "stories". Why can't Milliman and his team recruit at least ONE guy -- offense or defense -- to contribute? 'Go to UVA and you might ride pine for a couple of years, choose The Hop and you can get major minutes right away.'
the starters at uva have been starters since they got there. save xander dickson. that approach won't work. identifying the best college players out there will be what they need to do. the hoos were recruiting 2021 hs grad players to a national champ team in the fall of 2019. milliman arrived in mid-2020. this eval can start happening in 2023.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

GSP wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:19 pm Satisfaction is a function of expectation. Reading the comments about the general frustration with the program, I am curious about the fan's expectations concerning Hopkins' lacrosse future. What would be realistic?

Top 8 ranking every year? Top 10, Top 15? Tourney invite 4 out of 5 years, or 3 of 5? Big10 AQ every 2 or 3 years? Final Four once every 5 years? NCAA title every 7 or 8 years?

Criticism of coaching, recruiting, players' size, offense, defense aside, what are the fan's expectations?
This year? Was ideally looking to be a top 15 team maybe, would be nice to make the playoffs.

In coming years the target to "get back to" at least is certainly along the lines of where teams like Notre Dame or North Carolina have kind of existed for most of the last 15 years. Putting a specific number on that is hard but "generally in or around the top 10 most years, likely to make the playoffs most years, in the conversation". Ideally you'd like to have some periods of especially good classes that lead to some years where you're a legit title contender or top tournament seed like Maryland has going for them right now.

No one is expecting JHU lacrosse of the 70s and 80s.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:06 pm I don't know what to say about the coaching. No one is putting up the offensive highlights from Johns Hopkins in 2019 and abbreviated 2020 which were coached by different people and had alot of the same albeit younger players. It is not like Jr. came in and destroyed this machine Benson had built. I have been making this comment for a few years - running a whole bunch of small converted attackmen at middie has not been working when you have 4/5 or 6 of them. DeSimone used to be in that group. To my observation I see the following:

- Two of your main outside threats - Grimes and Peshko are clearly or reportedly injured - Grimes has missed two of the 6 games - Peshko certainly has not exhbited the form we were all giddy about from last year Both have potential to be decent players for this level, they just aren't even close yet. And it IS kind of comical for people to point out "his box background", as if that means ANYTHING. Box has defensive specialists and goons. And the sticks "perform" differently, or so I have heard ;) ......or maybe the coaches could play to everyones strengths, and help their weakness. If your coach doesn't know what those are, they are lousy at their craft. If they even have any, witnessing all the "hard work" evaluating "talent" at summer showcases, the only thing that IS really being showcased are the most current, updates of Range Rover, Benz, Lexus and Suburbans.
- Given whatever you thought about his abilities - Hopkins has clearly not replaced the dodging threat posed by the 6'5" 220 lbs of Cole WIlliams
- Whether it is a year of Defensive experience or slight injury - DeSimone doesn't look to me like he has the acceleration he had last year - defenders are mostly comfortable taking him one on one and not sliding
- The smurfs are getting pushed off their marks and desired locations - they are not creating slides to feed someone like Degnon - Hopkins sole remaining real outside threat
- Epstein is trying to do way too much
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:34 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:27 pm You are 11 goals behind. Just 20 minutes left in the game. Winning face offs is tough.

Shouldn’t you be implementing your own ten-man ride to cause some turnovers and steal some possessions?

Don’t have a ten-man ride? Don’t even practice it? Why the f*ck not?!?

DocBarrister :roll:
You must be watching a different game, doc. When Hop does try to pressure the clear, UVa just blows right by them with quickness and speed.
And the player UVa has come to rely on this year for its "punt return" clears which use quickness and speed? Evan Zinn.
Last edited by HowieT3 on Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”