NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxdad1434

Re: NESCAC

Post by laxdad1434 »

SouthieLax wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:31 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:48 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:51 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:47 pm The feigned confusion as to why lacrosse is different from football is funny. There are so many obvious reasons that it is tedious to list them all but one that hasn’t been discussed enough is scholarships…...

…. If given the choice, a large majority of players and their families would prefer to go to, play at, and graduate from Williams, Tufts, RIT, Gettysburg, etc than Monmouth or Lowell or NJIT or Wagner etc. Why would you pay to go to Wagner and play lacrosse when you could pay to go to Middlebury and play lacrosse? This is how you end up with a sport where the top D3 teams are objectively better than the bottom D1 teams.
100%
:lol: Does he tie your shoes as well?
The last comparison w/football was with the Ivy's, they don't have scholarships.
The large majority may not have the $$ for NESCAC, most don't. Majors, geography, campus size, play a part as well.
Wagner would beat Middlebury, as would Monmouth and NJIT. Wagner playing in MAAC and against AE, Patriot, is 10x more difficult than playing NESCAC.Wagner losing 20-6 to Army isn't the same as Middlebury losing to Tufts 19-6. Please don't say Tufts would beat Army.
The Massey match up predictions have: Middlebury 13, Wagner 7; Middlebury 14, NJIT 10; Middlebury 12, Monmouth 10.

You don’t want to know what Tufts would do to those teams.

https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=5 ... &oid1=8500
My pain in my bad knee tells me different... :lol: Let's try a Ouija board next. Oh man :P
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:00 am
SouthieLax wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:31 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:47 pm The feigned confusion as to why lacrosse is different from football is funny. There are so many obvious reasons that it is tedious to list them all but one that hasn’t been discussed enough is scholarships…...

…. If given the choice, a large majority of players and their families would prefer to go to, play at, and graduate from Williams, Tufts, RIT, Gettysburg, etc than Monmouth or Lowell or NJIT or Wagner etc. Why would you pay to go to Wagner and play lacrosse when you could pay to go to Middlebury and play lacrosse? This is how you end up with a sport where the top D3 teams are objectively better than the bottom D1 teams.
100%
The last comparison w/football was with the Ivy's, they don't have scholarships.
The large majority may not have the $$ for NESCAC, most don't. Majors, geography, campus size, play a part as well.
Wagner would beat Middlebury, as would Monmouth and NJIT. Wagner playing in MAAC and against AE, Patriot, is 10x more difficult than playing NESCAC.Wagner losing 20-6 to Army isn't the same as Middlebury losing to Tufts 19-6. Please don't say Tufts would beat Army.
The Massey match up predictions have: Middlebury 13, Wagner 7; Middlebury 14, NJIT 10; Middlebury 12, Monmouth 10.

You don’t want to know what Tufts would do to those teams.

https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=5 ... &oid1=8500
My pain in my bad knee tells me different... :lol: Let's try a Ouija board next. Oh man :P
Says the guy who dropped the article from the extremely reputable payscale.com as a mic drop. :roll:

You’re exhausting because you want to have it both ways. You ask for examples of D3 transfers having success, but won’t provide any of low D1 players having success of their own. You offer third party sources to make points, but reject when others do the same.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:33 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:10 pm Winkoff - PSU
McLane - Brown
McGovern - NC
Minicus - GTown
Kirst Bros - Rutgers/Cuse
Too many to list
Those guys played on mid-tier teams. Where are the players from Binghamton, LIU, NJIT, Bellarmine, etc.?
Literally the first name on the list transferred from Binghamton.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

That's entirely my bad for poor reading comp.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Thanks for agreeing with me that D1 is far superior athletically.

I do not care about NJIT, not one bit. But since you keep pounding it...They are ranked ahead of all NESCAC schools for ROI, Williams is 20 spots behind them and the highest ranked NESCAC school.

ROI - apples and oranges

And yes, D1 is far superior athletically....in football, basketball and baseball. Just cant make that comparison to lacrosse. The depth and breadth of athletes in football and basketball is far superior to what lax has. And you are still ignoring the main argument: really good lax athletes choose NESCAC schools for academics. Thats why they would be able to compete in lower D1. That is DEFINITELY not happening in football and basketball. Williams football vs Princeton football - not even in the same solar system.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

100%
Tufts wouldnt beat Army but it would be a lot closer than Tufts football and Army football which again, speaks to the vast chasm between football and lacrosse.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Aside from the silliness of some arguments here, there is a pretty interesting discussion around the talent level of the NESCAC vs. the bottom half of D1 programs. If you think about a quadrant with the X axis being academic reputation and the Y axis being lacrosse success, the upper right square is really just filled with the ACC, most of the Ivies, a couple of Big 10 schools and a smattering of others like Georgetown and Army. Once you get past that group, a recruit and his family start facing some really tough decisions – a zone where the NESCAC competes very well. Most of the discussion on this page has been about the absolute bottom of the barrel of D1, but if you look at the 40 teams above the VMIs, UMass Lowells and NJITs, it is logical to assume that the NESCAC can out-recruit many of these schools in general, and probably most of those schools for the prep/private kids from the DC to Boston corridor.

So if you are a strong player from Salisbury, Georgetown Prep, Lawrenceville, Andover or the ISL – but outside the upper right quadrant in terms of lacrosse skill – are you taking Marist or Williams? MSM or Bowdoin? Manhattan or Amherst? The gray area is when you are considering Colgate/Hobart/Lafayette vs. Tufts/Williams/Amherst. Even at the lower end of NESCAC academically (Trinity #39 US News and Conn College #46), those are preferred choices over most of the list below. I mean, door #1 is to play in the best D3 league in the country where you already know half the guys on every roster and can maybe compete for a national championship. Door #2 is to attend a D1 school you never would have chosen except for lacrosse, forgo junior fall abroad, work 90% as hard as an ACC or Big 10 guy, and probably miss the NCAA playoffs every year.

As a side note, the 10-month delay in NESCAC commitments is probably the only thing holding these teams back from competing at a top 40 of D1 level. There is a tremendous amount of peer pressure to get the Instagram commitment post as soon as possible. If on Sept 1 of your junior year you could flex on your Tufts commitment to match the guys on your club team who are posting a Bucknell offer, that would really level the playing field.

Long way of saying that the NESCAC is currently in the conversation with every good student who is not a top 30 program caliber player. At the same time, the pool of talent has never been deeper across the U.S. and Canada, so the #200 player in North America today is much more skilled than the #200 player 20 years ago.

This ranking below is from the final 2023 RPI from the NCAA website.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... crosse-rpi

30 Saint Joseph's Atlantic 10 10-5
31 UMass Atlantic 10 8-6
32 Brown Ivy League 6-8
33 Harvard Ivy League 5-7
34 Bellarmine ASUN 11-6
35 High Point Atlantic 10 9-8
36 UMBC America East 8-5
37 UAlbany America East 6-10
38 Marquette Big East 6-8
39 Marist MAAC 10-8
40 Binghamton America East 9-5
41 Towson CAA 6-9
42 Drexel CAA 8-6
43 Stony Brook CAA 9-7
44 Navy Patriot 8-8
45 Manhattan MAAC 10-5
46 Providence Big East 6-9
47 Merrimack America East 7-7
48 Dartmouth Ivy League 6-6
49 Lafayette Patriot 6-10
50 Mount St. Mary's MAAC 8-8
51 Robert Morris ASUN 8-8
52 Hobart Atlantic 10 5-8
53 Siena MAAC 9-7
54 Cleveland St. ASUN 6-7
55 Mercer ASUN 6-10
56 Quinnipiac MAAC 7-7
57 Fairfield CAA 5-9
58 Hofstra CAA 5-9
59 Monmouth CAA 5-9
60 Sacred Heart MAAC 5-10
61 St. John's Big East 0-14
62 Bucknell Patriot 3-10
63 Colgate Patriot 2-9
64 NJIT America East 3-10
65 VMI MAAC 6-9
66 Detroit Mercy ASUN 2-11
67 St. Bonaventure Atlantic 10 1-13
68 LIU MAAC 5-9
69 Lindenwood ASUN 2-10
70 Wagner MAAC 3-11
71 Canisius MAAC 2-13
72 Queens ASUN 2-12
73 Holy Cross Patriot 1-13
74 UMass Lowell America East 0-13
75 Hampton CAA 0-12
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

justanotherperson wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:09 am

100%
Tufts wouldnt beat Army but it would be a lot closer than Tufts football and Army football which again, speaks to the vast chasm between football and lacrosse.
The chasm is between the Divisions.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

100%
Crazy right. Football seems to reward size, speed, and natural athleticism in ways our game doesn't. Our sport still rewards those things, but you're not born with stick skills. I liked that aspect of the game when I was on the come up. Soccer and basketball were fun, but I was further along in my sport specific development with those, and hit my own ceiling in multiple ways. When I found lacrosse, it was fascinating to me how wall ball worked. One week I didn't have a left hand at all, then I had a left hand but caught it momentum wise like I would my right, then I learned the proper pattern. On and on and on. I think that's one of the aspects that makes our sport unique and inclusive. If you put in the time, you will see a direct output and thus engage in a scalable reward cycle. And you can't really skip too far ahead without investing that time. Sure, that applies to football, and really any sport, but for me personally, I see it amplified in lax.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:51 am

100%
Crazy right. Football seems to reward size, speed, and natural athleticism in ways our game doesn't. Our sport still rewards those things, but you're not born with stick skills. I liked that aspect of the game when I was on the come up. Soccer and basketball were fun, but I was further along in my sport specific development with those, and hit my own ceiling in multiple ways. When I found lacrosse, it was fascinating to me how wall ball worked. One week I didn't have a left hand at all, then I had a left hand but caught it momentum wise like I would my right, then I learned the proper pattern. On and on and on. I think that's one of the aspects that makes our sport unique and inclusive. If you put in the time, you will see a direct output and thus engage in a scalable reward cycle. And you can't really skip too far ahead without investing that time. Sure, that applies to football, and really any sport, but for me personally, I see it amplified in lax.
Brennan O'Neill
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:21 am

100%
The chasm is between the Divisions.
Putting aside the d1/d3 argument, do you think that your son would have chosen NJIT, but for lacrosse. Based upon the fact that he left NJIT, and is now playing D3 (regardless of the reason), I suspect that the answer is yes. This is not meant to criticize your son, lots of kids prioritize playing D1 lacrosse during recruiting. Had academics been the driving factor, as you accurately point out, he was at a great school, it seems that it was more about playing time. Again, nothing wrong with that decision, it's his life and he needs to make the best decision for himself. The difference with many, if not all, NESCAC kids is that academics is the #1 factor, period. This is why, outside of the top academics in the top 25, it is Ivy or NESCAC for these kids. Therefore, when you narrow down the pool of available schools, you are ending up with really good athletes in the NESCAC. Most kids in the NESCAC played on top tier club teams against the best talent in the country, so most of the posters on this forum have seen a lot of games and understand that the divide between these kids is just not that great. While most of us cannot speak to the gap between lacrosse at NJIT and your son's current school, whatever that may be, most of us have a pretty good handle on the NESCAC lacrosse talent. This is not about NESCAC posters reacting irrationally to your posts because - how dare anybody question the greatest conference on the planet - it is about collective experience with the sport, clubs, recruiting, etc.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

That is true but I think most people here are not making it NESCAC specific, it is generalizable to much of the lacrosse world that priorities are different than in other sports. RIT and Salisbury would clobber Marist just as the top NESCAC teams would.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:03 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:51 am

100%
Brennan O'Neill
Mikey Powell.

Putting aside the NESCAC v. NJIT debate for a moment, size is the ultimate "nice to have" in lacrosse, but not a prerequisite to be a great player. Like in all sports if all else is equal you take the bigger guy, especially on defense, but the top two recruits in this years freshman class are both sub 6' and under 185 pounds - completely averaged sized humans. Speed and skill will always be more important.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:22 pm That is true but I think most people here are not making it NESCAC specific, it is generalizable to much of the lacrosse world that priorities are different than in other sports. RIT and Salisbury would clobber Marist just as the top NESCAC teams would.
Let's anoint them the MAAC champs and send them straight to the D1 Tourney.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:40 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:22 pm That is true but I think most people here are not making it NESCAC specific, it is generalizable to much of the lacrosse world that priorities are different than in other sports. RIT and Salisbury would clobber Marist just as the top NESCAC teams would.
Let's anoint them the MAAC champs and send them straight to the D1 Tourney.
Done. Now lets' move on (and yes, I am talking to myself as well)
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Just to summarize for anyone joining the topic late.

One poster with a kid that committed to a low level D1, thinks all D1 is superior any D3

The other 99.9% of the lacrosse community knows he is wrong.

If this one poster were correct, I would have to assume his kid is now the best player in D3. Probably would have won player of the year in D3. All American.
HomewoodHomer

Post by HomewoodHomer »

My son is headed to a NESCAC school next year. Academics were the most important factor in his decision. He got offers from 3 top 30 D1 lacrosse schools but the education/college experience didn't always align with the schools lacrosse ranking. For him it was not about the Sept. 1 Instagram commitment post, but the job he gets in the future. Making that decision as a 17 year old was difficult. Watching friends/teammates post their commitments for 10 months wasn't easy either - he was steadfast in his decision to use lacrosse to get into a great school, not to let lacrosse use him.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:07 pm Just to summarize for anyone joining the topic late.

One poster with a kid that committed to a low level D1, thinks all D1 is superior any D3

The other 99.9% of the lacrosse community knows he is wrong.

If this one poster were correct, I would have to assume his kid is now the best player in D3. Probably would have won player of the year in D3. All American.
As dumb as all of your other posts.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

HomewoodHomer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:48 pm My son is headed to a NESCAC school next year. Academics were the most important factor in his decision. He got offers from 3 top 30 D1 lacrosse schools but the education/college experience didn't always align with the schools lacrosse ranking. For him it was not about the Sept. 1 Instagram commitment post, but the job he gets in the future. Making that decision as a 17 year old was difficult. Watching friends/teammates post their commitments for 10 months wasn't easy either - he was steadfast in his decision to use lacrosse to get into a great school, not to let lacrosse use him.
Smart young man. Sounds similar to many other stories.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”