Israel and Zionism

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Israel and Zionism

Post by youthathletics »

Yea....its all about money. What a crock of chit: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+la ... e&ie=UTF-8
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
OuttaNowhereWregget

Concerning the Jews

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

If the statistics are right, the Jews constitute but one percent of the human race. It suggests a nebulous dim puff of stardust lost in the blaze of the Milky Way. Properly the Jew ought hardly to be heard of, but he is heard of, has always been heard of. He is as prominent on the planet as any other people and his commercial importance is extravagantly out of proportion to the smallness of his bulk. His contributions to the world's list of great names in literature, science, art, music, finance, medicine, and obtuse learning are also way out of proportion to the weakness of his numbers. He has made a marvelous fight in this world in all the ages and has done it with his hands tied behind him. He could be vain of himself and be excused for it.

The Egyptians, the Babylonians and the Persians rose, filled the planet with sound and splendor, and faded to dream stuff and passed away. The Greeks and the Romans followed and made a vast noise and they are gone. Other peoples have sprung up and held their torch high for a time. But it burned out, and they sit in twilight now or have vanished. The Jew saw them all. Beat them all, and is now what he always was, exhibiting no decadence, no infirmities of age, no weakening of his parts, no slowing of his energies, no dulling of his alert and aggressive mind. All things are mortal but the Jew. All other forces pass, but he remains.

--Mark Twain
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Mark Twain. Quite a long time ago. The Jews did not beat the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks etc. Twain never saw the Germans.

Bengie undercuts the corruption angle and is not the first.

Their culture is in the process of change. When i married in 1980 some rabbis would not participate in interfaith marriages. That is still a thing in some more observant forms. About 3 weeks after i got married i went yo the Bar Mitzvah of my spouse’s nephew. The rabbi spoke to interfaith marriage as genocide. Now you can find categories like Jew by birth and Jew by Choice.

The lexicon of post independence is evolving. The religion has much to emulate in its “philosophy.”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:44 am Mark Twain. Quite a long time ago. The Jews did not beat the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks etc. Twain never saw the Germans.
Judging from the context, "beat" is a relative term.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Fair enough
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:08 pm Yea....its all about money. What a crock of chit: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+la ... e&ie=UTF-8
... I am reasonably certain no nation recognizes your god as a binding registrar of real estate. Even less so Abraham's word for it. The UN certainly doesn't.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:43 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:08 pm Yea....its all about money. What a crock of chit: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+la ... e&ie=UTF-8
... I am reasonably certain no nation recognizes your god as a binding registrar of real estate. Even less so Abraham's word for it. The UN certainly doesn't.
The entire region of the ME is all about religion....so why do you even bother commenting, when your claim is that you do not believe in any higher power.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:44 am The Jews did not beat the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks etc. Twain never saw the Germans.
As long as the Jews aren't wiped off the map, they win. The fact that the Jews continue to exist is astounding.
OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:44 am ... Jew by birth and Jew by Choice...
Jews who marry non-Jews consistently have children that, as Jews, disappear from the map after a few generations. Or they have no children. Either way, Jews disappear.
OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:44 amThe lexicon of post independence is evolving. The religion has much to emulate in its “philosophy.”
The philosophy of the Jews is just fine. The proof being what Twain is speaking to and more.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:04 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:43 pm
The entire region of the ME is all about religion....so why do you even bother commenting, when your claim is that you do not believe in any higher power.
... the folks fighting over the land, both sides believe in exactly the same god. They can't agree on the ownership issue. How important can god's registry be?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:11 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:44 am The Jews did not beat the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks etc. Twain never saw the Germans.
As long as the Jews aren't wiped off the map, they win. The fact that the Jews continue to exist is astounding.
Jews who marry non-Jews consistently have children that, as Jews, disappear from the map after a few generations. Or they have no children. Either way, Jews disappear. --- find this curious, I have three children born Jewish. One, the youngest, is super culturally Jewish, one is culturally Jewish, the other married a Jewish girl and I have two Jewish grandchildren. Somehow, I suspect the effect that you are describing is more likely the same effect going on in the US vis-a-vis all religions.
OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:44 amThe lexicon of post independence is evolving. The religion has much to emulate in its “philosophy.”
The philosophy of the Jews is just fine. The proof being what Twain is speaking to and more.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:49 pm Jews who marry non-Jews consistently have children that, as Jews, disappear from the map after a few generations. Or they have no children. Either way, Jews disappear. --- find this curious, I have three children born Jewish. One, the youngest, is super culturally Jewish, one is culturally Jewish, the other married a Jewish girl and I have two Jewish grandchildren. Somehow, I suspect the effect that you are describing is more likely the same effect going on in the US vis-a-vis all religions.
Being "a Jew" is more complicated. A young man who was raised catholic but has no connection in their behaviors or thoughts to Catholicism would be hard-pressed to call themselves Catholic. Maybe they call themselves a lapsed Catholic. They can say their parents are Catholic or they plan to be Catholic again when they have kids. But to say that they are Catholic is a stretch. Being a Jew is similar in that it's a religion and the same criteria that applies to the Catholic would apply to a Jew but being a Jew is also a nationality. The Jewish people are a nation. So a Jew can be 100% non-religious and still be a Jew. I don't know the details of your family but the overlaying question would be, What makes them Jewish? It can be either their mother is Jewish or they, so to speak, identify as Jewish or both. I know a woman who is a therapist in NYC (a very "Jewish job") and married a Jew so she identifies as Jewish. Do I consider her Jewish? I do not. But whatever. I'm just pointing out that, so to speak, there are a lot of Jews who, from where I'm sitting, are not Jews. On the other side of the coin, for what it's worth, I know people whose mothers and fathers are 100% genetically Jews who I will admit are Jews but they do not behave like Jews. Again, being a Jew is a religion and a nationality. In other words, a lot of Jews are sort of Jews or partly Jews or whatever you want to call them and to each their own. For most people who wrestle with this question, a Jew is whatever the relevant person is. Anybody who is less than this is not Jewish. Anyone who is more is a Jew but too Jewish. If one were to be objective about an answer to this Jew/Not Jew question would be pulling their answer directly from the Torah. Receiving the Torah is when the Hebrews became Jews.
Caddy Day
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:11 pm
Jews who marry non-Jews consistently have children that, as Jews, disappear from the map after a few generations. Or they have no children. Either way, Jews disappear.
I thought i said that essentially

Worth reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Hebre ... C84&sr=8-5
old salt

Post by old salt »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:53 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:49 pm Jews who marry non-Jews consistently have children that, as Jews, disappear from the map after a few generations. Or they have no children. Either way, Jews disappear. --- find this curious, I have three children born Jewish. One, the youngest, is super culturally Jewish, one is culturally Jewish, the other married a Jewish girl and I have two Jewish grandchildren. Somehow, I suspect the effect that you are describing is more likely the same effect going on in the US vis-a-vis all religions.
Being "a Jew" is more complicated. A young man who was raised catholic but has no connection in their behaviors or thoughts to Catholicism would be hard-pressed to call themselves Catholic. Maybe they call themselves a lapsed Catholic. They can say their parents are Catholic or they plan to be Catholic again when they have kids. But to say that they are Catholic is a stretch. Being a Jew is similar in that it's a religion and the same criteria that applies to the Catholic would apply to a Jew but being a Jew is also a nationality. The Jewish people are a nation. So a Jew can be 100% non-religious and still be a Jew. I don't know the details of your family but the overlaying question would be, What makes them Jewish? It can be either their mother is Jewish or they, so to speak, identify as Jewish or both. I know a woman who is a therapist in NYC (a very "Jewish job") and married a Jew so she identifies as Jewish. Do I consider her Jewish? I do not. But whatever. I'm just pointing out that, so to speak, there are a lot of Jews who, from where I'm sitting, are not Jews. On the other side of the coin, for what it's worth, I know people whose mothers and fathers are 100% genetically Jews who I will admit are Jews but they do not behave like Jews. Again, being a Jew is a religion and a nationality. In other words, a lot of Jews are sort of Jews or partly Jews or whatever you want to call them and to each their own. For most people who wrestle with this question, a Jew is whatever the relevant person is. Anybody who is less than this is not Jewish. Anyone who is more is a Jew but too Jewish. If one were to be objective about an answer to this Jew/Not Jew question would be pulling their answer directly from the Torah. Receiving the Torah is when the Hebrews became Jews.
To get married in a Jewish ceremony, don't both parties have to establish some sort of Jewish bonafides ?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I did not. It depends
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

old salt wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:22 am To get married in a Jewish ceremony, don't both parties have to establish some sort of Jewish bonafides ?
definitely not. it's up to the rabbi and/or "rabbi". what's called a "Jewish Wedding" frequently has zero to nothing to do with Jewish.
Caddy Day

Return to “POLITICS”