Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
norcalhop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by norcalhop »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:22 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:11 pm BANG

https://x.com/TerenceFoy/status/1798069466624032846

Luke Staudt taking a quick jog down Charles Street to join the Jays. Goalie question answered. Tremendous pickup. Staff is crushing the portal this offseason.
You guys are getting a great goalie who not only is meticulous about his craft but genuinely loves the game of lacrosse. He'll be extremely well liked in the locker room. Luke leaves with a lot of love from all the guys in green.

He more than likely will give Hopkins the best scouting report available given that he's been inside loyolas program for 4 years. he'll know every tendency, every rotation, every slide guy.

The game next year is going to be very very interesting for both teams.
A 4.0 Finance major as well. Will fit right in. He'll be very warmly welcomed! I cheer for Loyola outside of Hopkins games.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:10 pm Updated lineup projection

A - Melendez, Chauvette, Ayers
M1 - Collison, English, Bauer
M2 - No idea (some options: Evans, Iler, Jewell, Chick, Rawson, Sorichetti, McCleary, Crogan, Gregorek, Hackler?, etc.)
SSDM - Hackler, Monfort, Claiborne, Colhoun, DiCicco
LSM - Deans, Martin, Kaufman, Eye?
D - Smith, Kilrain, Brown
FO - Callahan, McKee, Hobot
G - Staudt

Biggest remaining question marks are midfield depth — offensive and defensive. There's talent there, just unsure which names will pop

Some of the D/LSMs are interchangeable
That seems like a very good team to me, especially in the new world without a ton of grads and super seniors. D in particular seems very, very stout.

PS - Very sorry about Marquis, 16.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Hop continues to use the portal to find goalies. Kirson, Caraciolo, Ierlan, Staudt, etc…
At some point Milliman needs to find a homegrown goalie. The portal won’t always come through.
Cook? Coming in the fall? What’s the word on him?
Who is the goalie coming in 25-26? I believe Hop’s pick over Marcus’ son?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

The curious case of Koleton Marquis. Tears it up in box. Worked his way on to appearing on emo late in his freshman year. Lost the spot to Phillips the next. Couldn’t gain it back when Phillips didn’t produce. An intriguing favorite of the fans. Good luck to him and I hope he finds the perfect fit
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:35 pm Hop continues to use the portal to find goalies. Kirson, Caraciolo, Ierlan, Staudt, etc…
At some point Milliman needs to find a homegrown goalie. The portal won’t always come through.
Andrew Cook next year and Dash Lamitie the year after. To be fair, Marcille was home grown last year.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:42 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:35 pm Hop continues to use the portal to find goalies. Kirson, Caraciolo, Ierlan, Staudt, etc…
Andrew Cook next year and Dash Lamitie the year after. To be fair, Marcille was home grown last year.
Ah correct. A Petro recruit? Now can Milliman find em?
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:47 pm
Lamitie is higher rated than Marcille and Marcus' son, so on paper, yes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

They "Graduated 22 seniors/grad students". Some are coming back reportedly, most aren't, you can't replace the top 1/2 attack, 6 of 9 midfield, top 6 ssdm, goalie, and a faceoff all in one fall ball with kids without d1 experience especially with 8 road games potentially next year. And they had issues last season on the wings that were going to be an issue going into next season. You put that many faces in expanded roles on the field together and you're basically turning the season into big ten tournament or bust territory. There was no way pre transfers they were going to be as good at attack/midfield/ssdm/faceoff/goalie as they were this year. Now at least you can say the attack if ayers/chauvette move up are not as good as last year but ok, the top 2 ssdms are ok, the goalie is ok, the faceoff guys are ok, and the midfield we'll see if they're still adding. The goalie/ssdm/faceoff transfers buy them a year of some stability at those positions while they find longterm solutions throughout the rest of the roster.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:10 pm
They "Graduated 22 seniors/grad students". Some are coming back reportedly, most aren't, you can't replace the top 1/2 attack, 6 of 9 midfield, top 6 ssdm, goalie, and a faceoff all in one fall ball with kids without d1 experience especially with 8 road games potentially next year. And they had issues last season on the wings that were going to be an issue going into next season. You put that many faces in expanded roles on the field together and you're basically turning the season into big ten tournament or bust territory. There was no way pre transfers they were going to be as good at attack/midfield/ssdm/faceoff/goalie as they were this year. Now at least you can say the attack if ayers/chauvette move up are not as good as last year but ok, the top 2 ssdms are ok, the goalie is ok, the faceoff guys are ok, and the midfield we'll see if they're still adding. The goalie/ssdm/faceoff transfers buy them a year of some stability at those positions while they find longterm solutions throughout the rest of the roster.
And he's not done yet.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

You have to give credit to Milliman and staff for a relatively high retention rate. Some were predicting a mass exodus in Milliman’s early tenure. Some decommits, Peden, Constantinides, not sure who else. Petro holdovers like Baskin left. Epstein chose education and career over lacrosse. Wong? Who else? Recently Marquis.
Quint initially questioned Milligan’s ability to develop culture. Apparently, guys are buying in even if warming the bench.
Targeted quality portal additions…
Having said that, watch ten guys enter the portal tomorrow lol
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:27 pm You have to give credit to Milliman and staff for a relatively high retention rate. Some were predicting a mass exodus in Milliman’s early tenure. Some decommits, Peden, Constantinides, not sure who else. Petro holdovers like Baskin left. Epstein chose education and career over lacrosse. Wong? Who else? Recently Marquis.
Quint initially questioned Milligan’s ability to develop culture. Apparently, guys are buying in even if warming the bench.
Targeted quality portal additions…
Having said that, watch ten guys enter the portal tomorrow lol
Constantinides would have decommitted with or without Petro. His parents mentioned he wanted to be a teacher in the end, so Towson made more sense. I think the school's degree plays a part in retention as well in addition to team culture etc.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:57 pm Echo the sentiment on DocB - if anybody has an idea on how to stop it (ignoring only goes so far as if somebody quotes him -you will still see it) It almost makes me wish for storming Jen Baker's office and warming up the goalies. But I will warn the more "unseasoned" fanlax readers - it will not stop - I wish I could recreate the 2009/2010 + posts on laxpower where he insisted Hopkins had the talent to win it all (nothing could have been further from the truth- as 2009/2010 saw the two worst Hopkins playoff defeats in history to that point) but "aggressive dodging" will now interrupt your sleep.

Too bad about Marquis - that's an examp-le of where you wish you were a true insider - would have thought through his box experience he could have found a role as a middie until Melendez left and then right handed attack - oh well

Speaking of warming up the goalies - the news on Staudt is awesome in most ways - but as norcal pointed out - what does the rest of the goalie room think?- especially the Ohio State transfer and Verdi? You can imagine Andrew Cook is OK with it - but those two just saw another year pass by. No one said life is fair. At some point we have to try to create multi year stability. When Lamitie shows up in 2026 - it's possible Hopkins could have Four 4 star rated goalies on the roster.
More pathetic personal attacks.

Keep reading, you might learn something (HopFan16 did).

DocBarrister :P
Last edited by DocBarrister on Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Rusty_chisel wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:03 pm Doc

You need to stop. Peshko, Grimes, even Collison, are not dodgers. There is no need to slide to them. Asking them to dodge more would have resulted more turn overs than goals by a wide margin.

Would everyone here like to see middies that could dodge, of course. They did not have it this year. They were good at getting lost in the ball movement and have good hands once they get inside.

Each year, someone takes a position that is not reflective of the talent. Initially, it is more of a quick observation but when they get pushback, they not only refuse to back down but then start taking even more absurd positions. Looks like you are this years Sag A (sorry for the cheap shot Sag A, you have been much more rationale this year albeit quiet). Your position is what makes a good offense if you have the players, and is not what players they had.

Since you like to cherry pick a bad play that somehow worked, I am sure you are also convinced that David Tyree should have had a hall of fame career based on his facemask catch in the Super Bowl.

I am not saying this to beat up on you. I appreciate many of your posts, especially on the players that came before Larry Quinn, Brian Wood, Del, Morrill, etc. You are just arguing something that is just not supported by the skill set of this year's team.
You’re right … there is no need to slide to them … if they aren’t dodging.

That’s kinda my point.

By the way, anyone who says Collison isn’t a dodger isn’t watching Collison.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:45 pm A hopkins degree is not a bad consolation prize for Webb however.
Staudt is a good addition to the team. I have to wonder, though, whether top goalie recruits would think twice about coming to a program that routinely accepts a lot of transfer goalies. Could imagine competing coaches (like Tillman) telling a top recruit, “Hopkins? You want to be on the scout team for four years?”

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

By the way, I think PM understands that he needs to win now. He isn’t going nuts in the transfer portal (as Rutgers once did). However, he isn’t going light on transfers either. He is filling areas of key need. Still, the constant flow of goalie transfers suggests to me a certain urgency to it all.

Nothing wrong with that.

The 2025 team will be talented, but even reaching the quarterfinals again will be challenging … and I think he knows he has to start doing better than that.

Any Sixers fans on the forum?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

But I will warn the more "unseasoned" fanlax readers - it will not stop - I wish I could recreate the 2009/2010 + posts on laxpower where he insisted Hopkins had the talent to win it all
Two words,

Transformative and Potentially.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:38 am
norcalhop wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:45 pm A hopkins degree is not a bad consolation prize for Webb however.
Staudt is a good addition to the team. I have to wonder, though, whether top goalie recruits would think twice about coming to a program that routinely accepts a lot of transfer goalies. Could imagine competing coaches (like Tillman) telling a top recruit, “Hopkins? You want to be on the scout team for four years?”

DocBarrister
That's the problem. Top goalie recruits haven't been coming to JHU for awhile. In order to ween off the portal goalies, it's going to be up to Cook or Lamitie to emerge as a legit multi-year starting goalie.
To recruits, "You can see what this program can do with a good goalie, Are you the next great Hopkins goalie?"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:02 am

DocBarrister
That's the problem. Top goalie recruits haven't been coming to JHU for awhile. In order to ween off the portal goalies, it's going to be up to Cook or Lamitie to emerge as a legit multi-year starting goalie.
To recruits, "You can see what this program can do with a good goalie, Are you the next great Hopkins goalie?"
51 did a superb post a few years ago-probably the best ever on these forums comparing the Maryland and Hopkins goalies since Tillman was hired. IL should've stolen it. They tried everything in the Petro era-they had an 8th grade recruit felts or feits or something, goalie specific coaches etc and frankly it might've been that the issue wasn't just the goalies it was a number of other things throughout the program that led to the losing not just who was standing in goal.

PM, Baker and whomever makes the decisions to make them and the kids available for the podcasts and interviews I think have done a great job throughout his era of trying to be accessible and as upfront as they can about what they are doing. It's helped dispel some of the narratives here and in the media about where they stand.

The other thing we need to remember is that we're not the only ones graduating all these kids and facing the roster overhauls and the schools that don't seem to be-Unc/cuse are already under enormous pressure next spring.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:02 am That's the problem. Top goalie recruits haven't been coming to JHU for awhile.
Probably the biggest issue is that when you are locking up high school freshmen - the goalie positon is almost undoubtedly the hardest to predict future success. Goalies like Feit/Darby/Turnbaugh/Marcille never grew either - Turnbaugh was the giant amongst those 4 at 5'11". And remember Marcille was a 4 star Under Armour game participant. Then you had the Shadyside goalie off campus incident and two decommits (Lawas is back in the portal I see) which decimated the goalie room for at least two years - so the dumpster fire was rolling down Charles Street. The other legitimate point is that post 2015 - not many of those teams were very good - so the defense in front of those goalies was porous.

In terms of Andrew Cook - you probably have some concerns about competition - his stats are gaudy but other than playing St. Pauls'/St. Ignatius and Highland Park (all losses) - Torrey Pines was not exactly running a gauntlet
Verdi - here's one thing - delicate topic - but his IL lacrosse recrutiing profile says he was 6'0" 215 lbs - his Hopkins roster entry says he is 250 lbs. If that is anywhere near accurate - can't believe adding 35 lbs on the same frame is beneficial to playing the position. And I undrestand there have been very successful goalies that were not exactly the skinniest impalas on the savannah - it is the apparent addition of 35 lbs that is notable
Gelinas is a huge unknown - literally at 6'4" 225 and left handed - Middlesex plays good competition
One can only assume - with the platitudes being given to Coach Kelly - that he knows what he sees in practice every day and they decided Staudt was a great option if it was available. I agree 100% but it does raise the question of what Verdi and Gelinas think given Gelinas will be a senior in class terms and Verdi a junior in 2025/26 when Staudt rolls off. It's quite possible - given Hopkins schedule - neither will have played a single second for two year - that's tough for the young men.
jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:10 pm They "Graduated 22 seniors/grad students". Some are coming back reportedly, most aren't, you can't replace the top 1/2 attack, 6 of 9 midfield, top 6 ssdm, goalie, and a faceoff all in one fall ball with kids without d1 experience especially with 8 road games potentially next year. And they had issues last season on the wings that were going to be an issue going into next season. You put that many faces in expanded roles on the field together and you're basically turning the season into big ten tournament or bust territory. There was no way pre transfers they were going to be as good at attack/midfield/ssdm/faceoff/goalie as they were this year.
This one just elicits so many reactions.

First, you don't know what you don't know. Here's an example - in 2019/20 Connor DeSimone scored 8 goals in 22 games from the mid-field. Please show me your post from 2021 that predicted 25 goals/45 points at attack in 13 games on a - let's just say it - a bad team. I have zero clue whether he will start at attack but Ayers is an attackman. You can cry about positionless offense until the cows come home but he is obviously most comfortable operating behind the goal and using speed and quickness to score in close and pass the ball. He is not a dodger on a shortstck and pull up from 8-12 and blow it by these exceptional goalies. He might be a failure and remain on mid-field while Bauer or someone else is the QB - don't know until you know but he might be pretty good.

Second - Chauvette - in 16 games only took more than 3 shots a game 4 times and after the Michigan regular season game he took 7 shots total in the last 6 games. So he was either banged up or they did it on purpose and reduced his workload. Shot the ball 42 times and scored at exactly 1/3rd of the time. 130 shots - Degnon's total rounded up - divided by 3 is 43 goals. Will he score 43? Who knows - one thing is known - however - shooters need to shoot - while he likely adds value by his presence and opening up some space as defenses press out - his raison d'etre on the lacrosse field is his left handed hammer - he's got to find about 130 nails.

Third - this mid-field exodus you speak of where Hopkins cannot possibly be as good before transfers - aren't these the players that were on your personal rotisserie spit for the last 4 years with the broiler set on high? I might have thought you would have bought Grimes and Peshko graduation gifts. What you don't know in this segment of our show is what the offensive philosophy will be - Grimes barely shot the ball 2 times a game/Peshko barely made 3 times a game - same for Bauer 2 times a game. That means Bauer and Grimes would have to shoot 50% from the mid-field just to score around 15 goals. Do you think that these players just passed up multiple opportunities of their own volition? No they were TOLD to do what they did - Grimes had 8 turnovers - Peshko 11 - way down from 2023. They were told to be stewards of the ship - shoot when they got great looks and let Degnon/Collison and Melendez to some degree take close to 40% of the team's shots. If English can stay healthy - there's no reason - even before Hackler - that the mid-field could not replicate the 32 goals walking out the door. Hackler - of course - helps.

Fourth - I see your post just recognized this point but it's perhaps the most obvious thingbeing that Hopkins is not alone in the significant turnover boat.

The staff has done a great job shoring up the weaknesses - Staudt's transfer is huge and hopefully McKee is just as impactful. Win more face-offs - more bites at the apple - shoot the ball 45 times a game not 38 and you'll likely score 13 or more.
coda

Post by coda »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:02 am

DocBarrister
It is hard to predict goalies. So much of the game is mental for them and most recruits come from top programs, so they are rarely put in the mental ringer.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”