Coaching Carousel 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Doxology

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Doxology »

boredatwork wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:25 pm Looking at the remaining jobs, the two that seem to have been open the longest are:

St Josephs (ME)
Northland (WI)

both opened early in the summer and have not announced a hiring with recruiting season all but wrapped up.

Anyone know what is going on with these positions?
I'll put forth five pretend dollars that Northland doesn't care about lacrosse and started because of some combo of their league mandated it and/or they are enrollment driven (who isn't . . .) They are a tiny school so they are probably comfortable with their current standing and it is what it is.

And my thoughts are not a jab at you, bored, but more at the school.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I thought I had heard of most schools but have never heard of Northland. Don't know about their coaching hire but some impressive hair on the roster. Sports are listed as "Jack Sports" and "Jill Sports".

https://northlandcollegesports.com/spor ... sse/roster
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:52 am I've heard from folks involved in the hiring processes for multiple jobs open this cycle that the upcoming federal FLSA threshold change (https://blog.dol.gov/2024/04/23/what-th ... or-workers) is having a pretty big impact on the hiring of new coaches.

As I understand it, as of January 2025 employees who make under $58,000 can no longer be exempt. That means they are legally allowed to get overtime pay for any hours worked over 40 in a week.

Despite what some may think $58K is upper-middle tier for D3 head coaches, and at the schools still listed as having openings; $58 is a VERY nice deal.

So now AD's are stuck with decisions to make:
Do they start a new coach at $58K?
Do they make them ten month at a $58K rate ($50ish)?
Do they pay them less than the FLSA threshold and pay OT? (Coaches work 50+ hours in season)
Do they pay less than the FLSA threshold but cap hours to limit OT?

It's a big mess and is making it difficult to get good, quality hires on board for many of these jobs.

Stay tuned. This will have far reaching ramifications within D3 coaching.
And the answer to this is “coaches are exempt because their work with student athletes is considered primarily instructional, that is their primary duty is instructing student athletes in the fundamentals of their respective sport”. I assume this is a no for coaches getting OT. Makes zero sense to me..
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

Ikno wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:26 am "but you're still not hitting that mark until the season starts."

This may be the most uninformed comment ever on these boards
SOOOOO UNINFORMED!
TopperLax82

Post by TopperLax82 »

Ikno wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:26 am "but you're still not hitting that mark until the season starts."

Please expound with something more worthwhile. I have a knowledge base than you obviously.
TopperLax82

Post by TopperLax82 »

HomerCoach wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:59 pm

SOOOOO UNINFORMED!
Again, please expound with something other than this.

The coaches aren't putting in 40 hours right now. They aren't. They're hosting a few visits and closing out their 25 class, watching film for the 26 class and evaluating who they saw last summer, and looking at film from last year in preparation for this year. Those are facts - please bring something specific other than "ooooh that's so uninformed." I'm giving "informed" information. So bring something worthwhile and constructive.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

TopperLax82 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:15 am

SOOOOO UNINFORMED!

The coaches aren't putting in 40 hours right now. They aren't. They're hosting a few visits and closing out their 25 class, watching film for the 26 class and evaluating who they saw last summer, and looking at film from last year in preparation for this year. Those are facts - please bring something specific other than "ooooh that's so uninformed." I'm giving "informed" information. So bring something worthwhile and constructive.
Full-time may include other responsibilities on campus.
username14237

Post by username14237 »

boredatwork wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:25 pm Looking at the remaining jobs, the two that seem to have been open the longest are:

St Josephs (ME)
Northland (WI)

both opened early in the summer and have not announced a hiring with recruiting season all but wrapped up.

Anyone know what is going on with these positions?
Northland (WI) I cannot imagine will be hiring a coach. I imagine they drop the program. They lost their conference so have no guaranteed games next year. Also they are probably the 3rd most expensive sport at the school behind both hockey programs. And the school is struggling financially. Also, hard place to recruit players and staff. I am hearing that most of their teams are low on numbers.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Maybe in early August they are finally taking some time with their families. But for the most part HC's are working well over 40 hours per week year round. 40 is probably the slow week. Here are just a few things they are doing every day:

- Practice planning - maybe coming up with new drills/plays/sets, etc.... Maybe traveling to meet with other more experience coaches.
- Most coaches are constantly trying to be better leaders and are looking at ways to define/improve their culture
- Recruiting - this never ends - emails, calls, texts, some still send letters/cards, visits, reviews, worrying etc..... (this is not just watching film)
- Planning the next season - going back over film from previous years, opponents, etc..
- Fundraising - emails, letters, calls, and visits, all to raise the funds needed to run their program - this includes travel
- Alumni stewardship - goes with fundraising, but it is more about staying connecting with the alums - this includes travel
- Social media - most are doing their own branding and this takes time
- Scheduling - planning a schedule that works - including booking travel arrangements - and looking at future seasons
- Managing a staff - if they are lucky enough to have one....
- Worrying - 30-75(depends on the program) young men between the age of 18-24 are under their care - this is constantly on an HC's mind, constantly.

Meeting with the schools administration - this can be a lot depending on the school and the leadership structure. But it includes (again depending on the school). President, VP's, Deans, AD's, Ass AD's, SID's, AT's, Faculty Reps, Facilities, Admissions, Alumni & Development, and the list goes on.....

Now add in "other duties as assigned" by the Athletic Department and you've got another full time job on top of everything else....
- SID
- Equipment Room
- Facilties
- Summer Programs
- Alumni Relations
- Admissions
- Ass AD
- Scheduling
- Teaching (yes, some coaches still teach at their respective colleges)
So many more to list, but you get my point.

So "right now," maybe not if they are on vacation. But to say a HC's job isn't full time until the season is definitely and "uniformed" comment.

I always like when I talk to my former coach and he tells me how his family and friends always say, "coaching in college must be cool, but what do you do the rest of the year?"
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

SOOOOO UNINFORMED!

You couldn’t be more wrong, coaches right now are recruiting and sitting in meetings all day, hosting recruits, confirming schedules, ordering equipment, etc.
Yes they are working less hours than in season but still doing 40 hours is like a vacation to them.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:57 am

SOOOOO UNINFORMED!

You couldn’t be more wrong, coaches right now are recruiting and sitting in meetings all day, hosting recruits, confirming schedules, ordering equipment, etc.
Yes they are working less hours than in season but still doing 40 hours is like a vacation to them.
Guy is probably correct, plenty of coaches not putting in 40 hours a week currently. Check the yearly winning percentages for the 300+ D3 lax programs. You can easily pick out the ones doing 40+ hours in off season.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Motorman wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:09 pm
River Donkey wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:57 am

SOOOOO UNINFORMED!

Guy is probably correct, plenty of coaches not putting in 40 hours a week currently. Check the yearly winning percentages for the 300+ D3 lax programs. You can easily pick out the ones doing 40+ hours in off season.
That's not how it works, in my experience, sometimes the lowest performing teams have coaches putting in the most hours to try to turn it around. Plus, those programs usually don't have full time assistants, so the HC is doing it all.

As someone stated above, HC are easily averaging over 40 hours a week for the year. Summer on the road, hosting recruits and families, admin bs, everything. The only slowish time was between the end of fall ball and coming back from winter break. And slow was still at least 30 hours a week.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

SOOOOO UNINFORMED!

At this point of the year D3 coaches are doing at minimum:
1. Wrapping up summer recruiting circuit for 24/25s and prepping for fall visits
2. Working with incoming players on S&C expectations, helping them plan for moving onto campus, and sometimes helping with admissions for late transfers
3. Setting up fall ball and arranging scrimmages
4. Working with AD on scheduling a NCAA team compliance meeting
5. Inventory on gear
6. Arranging travel and accommodations for away games
7. Arranging Alumni weekend details
8. Fundraising
9. Working with a teacher to be team advisor, set up team study hall hours
10. Setting up newcomers with team advisor to navigate their new academic journey
11. Prepping the locker room and other facilities for fall ball

Probably something I’m missing, but yeah it’s insulting to state they’re not pulling 40hrs. I mean heck just traveling to recruiting tournaments racks up hours during the summer. You think folks travel and do that stuff for free?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

There is so much misinformation in these posts, I don’t know where to start.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

There is so much misinformation in these posts, I don’t know where to start.
I'd say just start.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

I’d say spare us either way and move on, or interview a coach and find out how they spend their time.
Masslax8934

Post by Masslax8934 »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:42 pm There is so much misinformation in these posts, I don’t know where to start.
You are surprised at that? This is a forum for fans. Fans never have the true scoop
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Add Capital to the list of schools looking for a coach:

https://athletics.capital.edu/news/2024 ... ition.aspx
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Lurker wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:10 pm Add Capital to the list of schools looking for a coach:

https://athletics.capital.edu/news/2024 ... ition.aspx
Open
Alvernia (PA)
Augustana (IL)
Capital (OH)
Kean (NJ)
Northland (WI)
Notre Dame (MD)
Neumann (PA)
SUNY Plattsburgh
SUNY Poly
St Joseph's (ME)
St Joseph's (NY)
William Peace (NC)

Filled
Albertus Magnus College (CT) - Chris Bronander (Oberlin AC)
Benedictine (IL) - Josh Berey-Wingate (Lewis AC)
Brevard (NC) - Scott Dangel (Oglethorpe HC)
SUNY Brockport - Nick Fiorentino (Former Geneseo HC)
Cairn (PA) - Matt LoStracco (HS Coach)
FDU (NJ) - Alex Stone (Muhlenberg AC)
Guilford (NC) - Marty Kelly (Guilford Interim)
Juniata (PA) - Dylan Abplanalp (Illinois Wesleyan AC)
LaGrange (GA) - Kevin Riordan (Coastal Carolina HC - MCLA)
Oglethorpe (GA) - Christian Hall (Wingate AC)
SUNY Potsdam - Gill Connors (St Bonaventure AHC)
Rhodes (TN) - Billy Cameron (Hampden-Sydney AC)
Virginia Wesleyan (VA) - Sam Jones (Virginia Wesleyan AC)
Washington & Jefferson (PA) - Jacob Bow (HS HC)
SneaksBeac

Post by SneaksBeac »

St Joe's Maine done.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”