Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by DMac »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:16 am Lon Adams, man behind Slim Jim beef jerky recipe, dead from COVID-19 https://trib.al/BCsKekH
95 years old, dead from COVID-19.
Really have to wonder how sure we are that the cause of death was COVID-19.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
njbill

Post by njbill »

Terrible news for Phillies fans. He should’ve been voted into the Hall of Fame long ago. There was an article recently in the Inquirer about the fact that this year’s old-timers vote has been postponed for a year due to Covid. Many couldn’t understand why the meeting couldn’t be held via zoom.

And now Dick won’t be alive when (hopefully) he gets voted in this time next year.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:11 pm Terrible news for Phillies fans. He should’ve been voted into the Hall of Fame long ago. There was an article recently in the Inquirer about the fact that this year’s old-timers vote has been postponed for a year due to Covid. Many couldn’t understand why the meeting couldn’t be held via zoom.

And now Dick won’t be alive when (hopefully) he gets voted in this time next year.

recommended reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Crash-Life-Times ... 0899196578

the Philly reich wing media sure didn't make it easy for him
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

njbill

Post by njbill »

Nor did some of his teammates.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Chuck Yeager, Test Pilot Who Broke the Sound Barrier, Is Dead at 97 https://nyti.ms/3m1xZ9u
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:52 pm Nor did some of his teammates.

Mike Schmidt was one who stood up for him. It was rumored in those days that he missed out on a lot of profitable commercial endorsements because he had the guts to speak the truth.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:31 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:16 am Lon Adams, man behind Slim Jim beef jerky recipe, dead from COVID-19 https://trib.al/BCsKekH
95 years old, dead from COVID-19.
Really have to wonder how sure we are that the cause of death was COVID-19.
It is complicated. A good explanation for the layman.

And even beyond the judgement of each coroner, the rules, guidelines, and traditions matter. My relatives who live in countries bordering Germany suspected that Germany's lower COVID fatality rates last spring were in part due to how they recorded cause of death.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, complicated indeed but not beyond what I suspected.
The official health organizations have their own reasons for what they are counting and they are counting exactly what they say they are counting – but it is not what you or I would expect them to count. They are counting, as the CDC does, “All Deaths Involving Covid-19”.
The Covid-19 Death statistics represent the counts of the WHO, the CDC and other National and State public health agencies. The general public often mistakenly thinks those counts mean deaths in which Covid-19 was the immediate cause of death – deaths in which the person was killed by Covid-19. That is not the case – it is far more complicated than that.
This is the kind of news we're getting though, Mr. Adams dead at 95 from covid 19.
Ummm, methinks there's a whole lot more to this story.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:20 pm

Mike Schmidt was one who stood up for him. It was rumored in those days that he missed out on a lot of profitable commercial endorsements because he had the guts to speak the truth.
Mike credits him with mentoring him when he first got to the big leagues, or was in the high minors.

I was a huge fan of the Phillies when I was a kid (still am, though not as rabid). 1964 was, of course, our heartbreak year. Richie, as he was then known, was rookie of the year. My favorite player was Johnny Callison.

Allen’s most infamous run in with a teammate was with Frank Thomas. To their credit (and the Phillies certainly don’t get a lot of credit for race relations), they got rid of Thomas. Course when one guy can hit the ball onto the roof of Connie Mack Stadium and the other guy can’t, I suppose the decision is relatively easy.
old salt

Post by old salt »

njbill wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Mike credits him with mentoring him when he first got to the big leagues, or was in the high minors.

I was a huge fan of the Phillies when I was a kid (still am, though not as rabid). 1964 was, of course, our heartbreak year. Richie, as he was then known, was rookie of the year. My favorite player was Johnny Callison.

Allen’s most infamous run in with a teammate was with Frank Thomas. To their credit (and the Phillies certainly don’t get a lot of credit for race relations), they got rid of Thomas. Course when one guy can hit the ball onto the roof of Connie Mack Stadium and the other guy can’t, I suppose the decision is relatively easy.
I really enjoyed Richie's 1 year in StL ('70). I was TAD on home town recruiting duty that summer, awaiting my flight class.
Got to see a lot of games. He had good year. Made the all star team & hit the longest HR's seen up to that point in the new Busch Stadium. Jack Buck even referred to him as Dick, which made him happy. Wish he had stayed longer. The Cards traded him to LA after 1 season for Ted Sizemore.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:32 pm Chuck Yeager, Test Pilot Who Broke the Sound Barrier, Is Dead at 97 https://nyti.ms/3m1xZ9u
Chuck Yeager's report from his supersonic flight in the X-1.

https://twitter.com/USNatArchives/statu ... 2383836161
njbill

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:36 pm

I really enjoyed Richie's 1 year in StL ('70). I was TAD on home town recruiting duty that summer, awaiting my flight class.
Got to see a lot of games. He had good year. Made the all star team & hit the longest HR's seen up to that point in the new Busch Stadium. Jack Buck even referred to him as Dick, which made him happy. Wish he had stayed longer. The Cards traded him to LA after 1 season for Ted Sizemore.
Never have gotten over your Cardinals "stealing" the '64 pennant from the Phillies. I know, not really a steal. Really was a collapse for the ages, losing 10 of their last 12.

Back then, you had to mail in a request for Series tickets. My mom and dad sent in separate requests to maximize our chances of getting tix. My dad's was returned in the original envelope, unopened. My mom's came back in a Phillies envelope. We told ourselves that that meant she would have gotten WS tickets.
njbill

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:43 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:32 pm Chuck Yeager, Test Pilot Who Broke the Sound Barrier, Is Dead at 97 https://nyti.ms/3m1xZ9u
Chuck Yeager's report from his supersonic flight in the X-1.

https://twitter.com/USNatArchives/statu ... 2383836161
There aren't many cooler dudes than Sam Shepard, but one of them was Chuck Yeager.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I well remember Thomas (former Catholic seminarian) who was well known as a racist. SOB would act as if he was about to shake your hand and then would twist your thumb out of shape. He caused bruises and fights that way and in other ways as well. Early in his career (including some time with the 1962 Mets) he could hit HRs and drive in some runs. But in the club house he was a piece of _____________ and hated by everyone else.

My fave quote from Dick Allen = "if a horse won't eat it, I won't play on it". This in re to playing on artificial turf. He loved horses and was truly one of a kind.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”