Recruiting, the exact science

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Men's Lacrosse Blue Chip Ratio

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jff97 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:58 am With all the discussion that goes on about recruiting and whether rankings are accurate or not on here, I decided to apply the "blue-chip ratio" used by college football analysts to lacrosse. For those not familiar, the theory is that at least 50 percent of your roster needs to be blue-chip, or 4 or 5 star recruits, to win the national championship. TCU could put a big dent in this theory on Monday, but it's held up well for over a decade.
Here's more info if you're curious: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/B ... 90039196_3

For these ratings, I used Inside Lacrosse's recruiting database, which gave out star ratings for players back to 2017. That allowed me to put a ranking together for the last three seasons, which I'll post below. The percentages are the amount of blue-chip recruits each team has had over the past four recruiting classes. Transfers are not included and aren't in the blue-chip ratio either due to the recruiting rules being different for transfers compared to incoming players. IL looks like they've given out more star ratings in recent, which could inflate the number of teams that make this list, but I think this is still a good metric that shows you need to recruit a certain base level of talent to compete in the sport at the highest level. The national champion for the 2021 and 2022 seasons are in all caps, while Final Four teams have an asterisk next to them.

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
North Carolina* 53 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
North Carolina 67 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent
New: Penn, Penn State, Syracuse
Dropped Out: Ohio State, Michigan

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
North Carolina 63 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent
New: Michigan, Ohio State, Brown
Dropped Out: Johns Hopkins

Some takeaways:
-The number of teams has gone from 13 in 2021 to 14 in 2022 to 16 in 2023, which means more teams are recruiting at a high level
-This theory held up well for the 2021 and 2022 season. 7 of the 8 Final Four teams made the list. The only one that didn't was Rutgers, who had a 17-percent blue-chip ratio last year that slightly increased to 20 percent entering this season
-Georgetown is the only team not in the ACC, Big 10 or Ivy League that made the list the last three years
-Princeton is the team on the best upward trajectory, going from 64 to 76 to 82 percent blue-chip. Georgetown has been a steady riser too from 57 to 62 to 67 percent.
-Just because you have highly-rated recruits doesn't mean you'll win a lot. If you at the 247 Sports article, Auburn, Miami and Texas A&M all were in the blue-chip ratio and didn't make a bowl game. Still have to have good coaching and figure out how to best use the talent at hand.

This was interesting to dive into when I was bored over the holidays, so let me know what you guys think.
Good effort. Could you look at the Blue Chip Ratio for Yale’s 2018 team? Thanks
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
lorin

Post by lorin »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:03 am
jff97 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:58 am With all the discussion that goes on about recruiting and whether rankings are accurate or not on here, I decided to apply the "blue-chip ratio" used by college football analysts to lacrosse. For those not familiar, the theory is that at least 50 percent of your roster needs to be blue-chip, or 4 or 5 star recruits, to win the national championship. TCU could put a big dent in this theory on Monday, but it's held up well for over a decade.
Here's more info if you're curious: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/B ... 90039196_3

For these ratings, I used Inside Lacrosse's recruiting database, which gave out star ratings for players back to 2017. That allowed me to put a ranking together for the last three seasons, which I'll post below. The percentages are the amount of blue-chip recruits each team has had over the past four recruiting classes. Transfers are not included and aren't in the blue-chip ratio either due to the recruiting rules being different for transfers compared to incoming players. IL looks like they've given out more star ratings in recent, which could inflate the number of teams that make this list, but I think this is still a good metric that shows you need to recruit a certain base level of talent to compete in the sport at the highest level. The national champion for the 2021 and 2022 seasons are in all caps, while Final Four teams have an asterisk next to them.

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:
-The number of teams has gone from 13 in 2021 to 14 in 2022 to 16 in 2023, which means more teams are recruiting at a high level
-This theory held up well for the 2021 and 2022 season. 7 of the 8 Final Four teams made the list. The only one that didn't was Rutgers, who had a 17-percent blue-chip ratio last year that slightly increased to 20 percent entering this season
-Georgetown is the only team not in the ACC, Big 10 or Ivy League that made the list the last three years
-Princeton is the team on the best upward trajectory, going from 64 to 76 to 82 percent blue-chip. Georgetown has been a steady riser too from 57 to 62 to 67 percent.
-Just because you have highly-rated recruits doesn't mean you'll win a lot. If you at the 247 Sports article, Auburn, Miami and Texas A&M all were in the blue-chip ratio and didn't make a bowl game. Still have to have good coaching and figure out how to best use the talent at hand.

This was interesting to dive into when I was bored over the holidays, so let me know what you guys think.
Sorry I am an Army fan, what is a Blue Chip? lol
Typical Lax Dad

lorin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:30 am

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

Sorry I am an Army fan, what is a Blue Chip? lol
I have very little confidence in so called “blue chips” and 5 Star players that are 2 years older than 3 Stars.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:30 am Sorry I am an Army fan, what is a Blue Chip? lol
Now Navy?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

Great job. How does the theory stand up for JHU and Cuse, if they where receiving highly ranked Blue Chippers all through the Early Recruiting fiasco. To me, it makes me question the authenticity of the Lacrosse Blue Chip player rank. Another outlier may also be the 'Ewing Effect" on teams.

I love how Princeton is rising, all while having to also navigate AI.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jff97

Post by jff97 »

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

It's tricky because IL only started ranking using stars alongside their numbers back in 2017, so for the 2014-2016 classes I would have to go by only top 100 players. Yale had 14 over those four years from its 2014 to 2017 recruiting classes, which would probably put them under the 50 percent threshold. But they hit on almost all of those players, which made up for maybe not having the depth of talent that other teams had.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:50 am

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

Great job. How does the theory stand up for JHU and Cuse, if they where receiving highly ranked Blue Chippers all through the Early Recruiting fiasco. To me, it makes me question the authenticity of the Lacrosse Blue Chip player rank. Another outlier may also be the 'Ewing Effect" on teams.

I love how Princeton is rising, all while having to also navigate AI.
In terms of teams like JHU and Cuse, just having talent doesn't mean you win. Still have to coach them up and use it in the right ways. If you look at the college football ratio, three of the 13 teams didn't make bowl games this year. The theory is it just gives you a better starting point then a lot of other programs. Doesn't guarantee success.
Typical Lax Dad

jff97 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:10 am

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

It's tricky because IL only started ranking using stars alongside their numbers back in 2017, so for the 2014-2016 classes I would have to go by only top 100 players. Yale had 14 over those four years from its 2014 to 2017 recruiting classes, which would probably put them under the 50 percent threshold. But they hit on almost all of those players, which made up for maybe not having the depth of talent that other teams had.
And without me looking my guess is that the 2017 recruiting class had the most and many didn’t contribute much to the 2018 Championship team.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:52 am

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

And without me looking my guess is that the 2017 recruiting class had the most and many didn’t contribute much to the 2018 Championship team.
The most were actually from the 2015 class, which had 6. Sessa, Daniggelis and Tigh were the three from the 2015 top 100 that were big contributors to the 2018 championship team.
Typical Lax Dad

jff97 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:22 pm

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

The most were actually from the 2015 class, which had 6. Sessa, Daniggelis and Tigh were the three from the 2015 top 100 that were big contributors to the 2018 championship team.
Thanks. I misunderstood the timing. That 2018 Yale team was built on under recruited and under ranked players, generally.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:31 pm

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

Thanks. I misunderstood the timing. That 2018 Yale team was built on under recruited and under ranked players, generally.
Other Top 100 guys from those four years that contributed were Reeves, Cotler, Merrill, Gaudet, Fake and Tevlin. So a good mix of both. Reeves and Gaudet were definitely underranked. But they were still top 100, and hitting on those players always helps.
lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:44 am
lorin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:30 am Sorry I am an Army fan, what is a Blue Chip? lol
Now Navy?
[/quot

Army all day.

Post by 1766 »

jff97 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:56 pm

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

Other Top 100 guys from those four years that contributed were Reeves, Cotler, Merrill, Gaudet, Fake and Tevlin. So a good mix of both. Reeves and Gaudet were definitely underranked. But they were still top 100, and hitting on those players always helps.
Interesting stats. Coach Brecht and staff must be incredible coaches to compete with and win against such loaded rosters of talent.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

jff97 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:56 pm

VIRGINIA 83 percent
Duke* 77 percent
Notre Dame 73 percent
Yale 70 percent
Harvard 65 percent
Princeton 64 percent
Maryland* 62 percent
Georgetown 57 percent
Cornell 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 54 percent
Ohio State 50 percent
Michigan 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Duke 80 percent
Notre Dame 78 percent
Princeton* 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
MARYLAND 66 percent
Harvard 63 percent
Georgetown 62 percent
Penn 60 percent
Penn State 57 percent
Cornell* 55 percent
Johns Hopkins 50 percent
Syracuse 50 percent

Virginia 92 percent
Princeton 82 percent
Duke 81 percent
Notre Dame 76 percent
Yale 71 percent
Harvard 68 percent
Maryland 67 percent
Georgetown 67 percent
Cornell 61 percent
Penn 61 percent
Penn State 59 percent
Michigan 56 percent
Syracuse 55 percent
Ohio State 53 percent
Brown 52 percent

Some takeaways:

I'm not sure Reeves was a top 100 recruit. He originally committed to Hobart before Shay picked him off. It is has been historically rare that my Statesmen get top 100 recruits. Though Ryan Archer was the most recent outlier. This should change over the next few years as Hobart (finally) gets to be a fully funded program after having zero athletic scholarships until recently.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:28 pm

I'm not sure Reeves was a top 100 recruit. He originally committed to Hobart before Shay picked him off. It is has been historically rare that my Statesmen get top 100 recruits. Though Ryan Archer was the most recent outlier. This should change over the next few years as Hobart (finally) gets to be a fully funded program after having zero athletic scholarships until recently.
Reeves was the No. 77 recruit in the class of 2014
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ngs/29706
Typical Lax Dad

jff97 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:46 pm

Yes. My general take was that many of those Yale guys weren’t top 60 guys and that they played above their ranking. Just was my arbitrary cut off. Thanks for the effort. I had done something similar.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Was he the #77 recruit when he committed to Hobart? I don't think so. IL seems to have a proclivity of upgrading recruits depending on where they end up.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:28 pm

Was he the #77 recruit when he committed to Hobart? I don't think so. IL seems to have a proclivity of upgrading recruits depending on where they end up.
Of course, sometimes they end up at a "more desirable" school because they demonstrated that they'd previously been underrated, right?

My hunch, not knowing the actual story in detail, was that Reeves was coming on strong and it was showing...and Yale noticed, to their credit, and so did IL (maybe before, probably after the switch). We know Reeves' trajectory was terrific thereafter...

It's actually possible that he should have been ranked even higher as he headed to college, but was held back on the ranking because he hadn't had the earlier notice. A little negative bias, drag effect.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:26 pm

Of course, sometimes they end up at a "more desirable" school because they demonstrated that they'd previously been underrated, right?

My hunch, not knowing the actual story in detail, was that Reeves was coming on strong and it was showing...and Yale noticed, to their credit, and so did IL (maybe before, probably after the switch). We know Reeves' trajectory was terrific thereafter...

It's actually possible that he should have been ranked even higher as he headed to college, but was held back on the ranking because he hadn't had the earlier notice. A little negative bias, drag effect.
He didn’t play well in that Summer club ball / showcase environment but the Yale coaches liked him after seeing him a few times and seeing a lot of kids over a couple of Summers. He was overlooked and got a bump when he switched.

Post by 1766 »

Notice a lot of that actually. It's no coincidence that Rutgers recruits are getting higher rankings now, all after the team has been making the playoffs.

Is recruiting on the upswing? Yes. That much difference? I guess we will see.

The reality is the amount of resources dedicated to evaluating talent at Inside Lacrosse isn't exactly a professional league in investment. As far as I can tell it's a couple of guys who I am not even sure played lacrosse and are trying to cover the entire country. It's simply not feasible to be very accurate all things considered.

It's much easier to know who certain schools are recruiting and consider them 5 stars or whatever. It's fun message board fodder but that's about it. I hate to pick on Hopkins but they were littered with 4 and 5 star players prior to Petro's departure. If you watched them on the field, you could see those rankings are simply inaccurate. So either they had bad coaching, which I don't believe, or the recruiting rankings are highly subjective.

I believe there a small handful of guys you would say are as close to can't miss as you can get in sports. The next batch are very similar and the one's who excel do so through growth, dedication, effort.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”