Yale 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Yale 2019

Post by molo »

Given the way the two teams are playing this year, tonight's game shouldn't be close. Does Albany have enough to make this one interesting?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

1-0 Yale after one on emo goal
molo

Post by molo »

8-3 Yale after three. Danes have won one face-off.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Score isn't an indication of what a hard fought game this is, Albany's giving Yale hell, the star of this game is Starr.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

molo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:30 pm 8-3 Yale after three. Danes have won one face-off.
Must be hard for Albany fans to watch Ierlan own the X
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Help me out with this. So he just up and transferred? Has to be some sort of story behind that, no?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

QuakerSouth wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 pm Help me out with this. So he just up and transferred? Has to be some sort of story behind that, no?
The public story: he wanted better chances of getting a plum job after college, maybe wasn't feeling academically challenged enough at Albany. The original assumption was he'd go to Cornell, where his younger brother was about to start college. However, coming from the same part of NY state as Ben Reeves, Reeves knew him an told Shay he'd be a great fit for Yale's lacrosse culture. Lots of courting by Yale players; success.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 pm Score isn't an indication of what a hard fought game this is, Albany's giving Yale hell, the star of this game is Starr.
And some miserable Albany shooting.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Apparently TD wanted the lacrosse culture and discipline of another program as well as more rigorous academics (other choice was Cornell). Danes put up a good defensive effort today particularly in view of winning only 2 face offs. Starr was stellar (heh heh) tonight after a medium outing against Brown. D was very good all game. O looked a bit out of sync, perhaps curtailed some by the wet twi-light conditions, with occasional flashes of good enough that kept the game mostly in hand except for the beginning of Q3. Good goal scoring distribution. EMO looked good. MDD okay until the late 4th quarter unreleasable. Albany goalie with a good game. Quick turnaround with a Tuesday evening matchup against local foe Quinnipiac.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Thanks, gents, for the clarification...
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Two of three on EMO is very nice. However good or bad Albany's shooting was, Starr had the sort of performance we were hoping for; and maybe the defense is rounding into shape. Yale has two games to play before the ILT. This year's ILT could showcase some terrific lacrosse.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:44 am However good or bad Albany's shooting was, Starr had the sort of performance we were hoping for...
Starr was excellent, especially in the first period. But 16 shots on goal having taken 45 shots is abysmal shooting by Albany.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Looking forward to the Quinnipiac game to see if the Bulldogs can straighten out some of the kinks in their game. They will need to to advance deep into the postseason, and no bettter time to start than now. I thought the D looked a good deal smoother against Albany than they have for most of the season, helped along by a very good outing by Starr. The 46 shots taken by the Danes was a bit disconcerting, but many of those were a result of poor stick handling and turnovers by the offense and some poor choices in the clearing game. These errors were nicely compensated for by better sliding and stick on hands defense than has been the case for much of the season. As shown by the Penn State and Cornell games this team can be really good when it bears down. Time to go out and show it on a consistent basis. It would be nice to see a bit more fire simultaneously at both ends of the field from the get go, setting the tone earlier than they have in the past few games. At least three games left in the season for the team to focus on and try to improve their performance for.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

During today's Johns Hopkins @ Penn State game, Quint (or was it Carc?) offered his prognosis on Yale: middies not getting the step-down goals they got last year because Reeves isn't there to draw all defenders toward him; with Warner and Alessi gone, D middies not as good. Well, okay, but it's way too easy to compare this year's team to last year's, and everyone should know that Yale's 2018 team featured some terrific seniors. It has taken Tigh a while to get going this year, but he does seem to be getting on-track (knock on wood). Danigellis is being asked to play more defense this year, and Esbach is becoming a very credible SSDM. I think the defense has been showing improvement. During today's broadcast, they mentioned several times that Penn State's only loss was against Yale; but then, they seemed to write off the Bulldogs. No, this isn't the 2018 team, but the 2019 team still could surprise some folks.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

FannOLax, Yale has a few areas to clean up: better shooting placement, slides on D. But, they are playing better and look good. Goal-tending is in good shape. Next few games need to be solid wins. Then the Ivy League Tournament should be excellent. No one should discount them and yes they can repeat (one game at a time).

As for QK, I would never put any stake on anything he says or ignores about Yale. He's already written that the Elis at-large resume is thin, basically throwing shade at Yale to nudge them out of at-large consideration (if needed). Just can't have a second Ivy League Team in the NCAA as that would mean one less spot for the ACC or Big 10 or even his Blue Jays (which I do think he covers impartially). Just in general, no love for the Ivy League (now that Cornell and Princeton aren't dominating) and for the Bulldogs.
Last edited by Mid-Lax on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Lux et veritas
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:19 pm During today's Johns Hopkins @ Penn State game, Quint (or was it Carc?) offered his prognosis on Yale: middies not getting the step-down goals they got last year because Reeves isn't there to draw all defenders toward him; with Warner and Alessi gone, D middies not as good. Well, okay, but it's way too easy to compare this year's team to last year's, and everyone should know that Yale's 2018 team featured some terrific seniors. It has taken Tigh a while to get going this year, but he does seem to be getting on-track (knock on wood). Danigellis is being asked to play more defense this year, and Esbach is becoming a very credible SSDM. I think the defense has been showing improvement. During today's broadcast, they mentioned several times that Penn State's only loss was against Yale; but then, they seemed to write off the Bulldogs. No, this isn't the 2018 team, but the 2019 team still could surprise some folks.
Yes. Yale doesn’t have to be as good this year as they were last year. They just need to better better than the other teams playing this year. Different team this year but can win it all again if they get on a roll. Yale and Penn are as good as anyone.
“I wish you would!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:08 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:19 pm During today's Johns Hopkins @ Penn State game, Quint (or was it Carc?) offered his prognosis on Yale: middies not getting the step-down goals they got last year because Reeves isn't there to draw all defenders toward him; with Warner and Alessi gone, D middies not as good. Well, okay, but it's way too easy to compare this year's team to last year's, and everyone should know that Yale's 2018 team featured some terrific seniors. It has taken Tigh a while to get going this year, but he does seem to be getting on-track (knock on wood). Danigellis is being asked to play more defense this year, and Esbach is becoming a very credible SSDM. I think the defense has been showing improvement. During today's broadcast, they mentioned several times that Penn State's only loss was against Yale; but then, they seemed to write off the Bulldogs. No, this isn't the 2018 team, but the 2019 team still could surprise some folks.
Yes. Yale doesn’t have to be as good this year as they were last year. They just need to better better than the other teams playing this year. Different team this year but can win it all again if they get on a roll. Yale and Penn are as good as anyone.
Though I love the IVY league and after Cornell is officially out in any tournament, I then root for any Ivy that is still playing, Frankly, I dont think Yale and Penn or Cornell OR ANY OTHER TEAM, measures up to Penn State this year. They are about as complete a team as we have seen in D1 in years, possibly going back to Tierneys teams at Princeton.

Does that mean they cant be beat? Of course not BUT if Penn state plays to their optimum abilities and any other team does so when playing them, 9 times out of 10, in my opinion, this team will win. HOWEVER, 1 injury at the wrong time could be devastating,and one needs only go back a few years to BROWN, who I maintain would have won it all BUT DYLAN MOLLOY, got injured and missed the final four and they lost.

Long way to go, and many scenarios to play out, but right now, PENN STATE is clearly the best team in the country, right now. I hope to say that my beloved BIG RED are the last team standing on Memorial Day but that is my heart and not my head speaking.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Mid-Lax wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:50 pm FannOLax, Yale has a few areas to clean up: better shooting placement, slides on D. But, they are playing better and look good. Goal-tending is in good shape. Next few games need to be solid wins. Then the Ivy League Tournament should be excellent. No one should discount them and yes they can repeat (one game at a time).

As for QK, I would never put any stake on anything he says or ignores about Yale. He's already written that the Elis at-large resume is thin, basically throwing shade at Yale to nudge them out of at-large consideration (if needed). Just can't have a second Ivy League Team in the NCAA as that would mean one less spot for the ACC or Big 10 or even his Blue Jays (which I do think he covers impartially). Just in general, no love for the Ivy League (now that Cornell and Princeton aren't dominating) and for the Bulldogs.
Well, as for Yale's at-large resume, the Elis are the defending national champions. Considering the Bulldogs' record today, they will get into the NCAA tourney because said hallowed athletic association wants the defending national champions in whenever possible.

I agree, JoeWillie, Penn State deserves to be #1. Right now, and for a big chunk of this season, PSU has been the best team. Can they win every game in mid to late May? That question remains to be answered.

Exactly, TLD.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

GOBIGRED, so you would say Penn State didn't play well vs Yale that one game? Hmmm. I agree Penn State looks like the best team in the country, however, I also think that Yale has improved. Win or lose I am rooting for rematches versus both Pennsylvania teams. By the way, I certainly don't discount Cornell with a great attack unit and very good young goaltender.
Lux et veritas
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:50 pm
Mid-Lax wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:50 pm FannOLax, Yale has a few areas to clean up: better shooting placement, slides on D. But, they are playing better and look good. Goal-tending is in good shape. Next few games need to be solid wins. Then the Ivy League Tournament should be excellent. No one should discount them and yes they can repeat (one game at a time).

Well, as for Yale's at-large resume, the Elis are the defending national champions. Considering the Bulldogs' record today, they will get into the NCAA tourney because said hallowed athletic association wants the defending national champions in whenever possible.

I agree, JoeWillie, Penn State deserves to be #1. Right now, and for a big chunk of this season, PSU has been the best team. Can they win every game in mid to late May? That question remains to be answered.

Exactly, TLD.
Come on, YALE is a stone cold lock for the Ncaa and a high seeding, no matter what happens the rest of the way. My beloved BIG RED still have a lot of work to do, and it starts this Saturday vs. a very, very good Princeton team. Sowers, right now is playing as well as anyone in the country. The Big Red better bring their A game Saturday at the Kopf.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”