Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
jff97

Re: Recruiting

Post by jff97 »

user1020 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:56 am
VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:20 am Seems like a lot of Not Ranked players on the list which probably is a reflection more on how the rankings are done. Certain clubs and high schools will attract college coach eyeballs because of past recruiting, but for many rankings are driven a lot by how much players/parents are willing to spend in time and money to get noticed and heavily market the player. Several Virginia public school players played in the final 16/8 this year. None spent the time or money to attend events to showcase and promote themselves, but clearly the results show they are great talents. I guess you can call them under the radar talent. IMO in a sport like girls lacrosse relying on rankings as a way of measuring the potential success of a team is risky at best. Yes, there are a few can’t miss players, but in general most of the top 300 players are fairly even and it comes down to a coach developing and getting the most out of that talent.
I agree. Making these rankings would be a hard job, but they clearly favor the top colleges and high schools. Commits to top schools will be ranked higher and commits on premier high school teams will be as well. Sam Thacker went to McDonogh, so people were clearly at her games determining the rankings, so this allowed her to be “On The Rise”. Anna Palmisano is from the same class and high school as Caitlyn Wurzburger, who received a ton of attention in high school. Which then gave Palmisano the rating because they were on the same team. I don’t know much about the Severn School (where Dineen went), but they play in the IAAM so people who make these rankings are watching her games. It’s all a popularity contest and based on proximity and access, so you can have your pick of the litter of anyone
Sometimes I wonder if this is a chicken or the egg type of situation. Are these players ranked high because of the schools and clubs they play for, or would they be ranked high regardless. Yes, those who play in more tournaments and in better high school leagues probably get a bump because of their exposure, but a lot of the top recruits still end up at the top programs. It's not like they're all going to play at some directional school in the middle of nowhere. As much as people say coaches ignore these rankings, the top programs still get commits from most of the ranked kids in a class. So clearly the lists are not just made randomly.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

jff97 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:14 am
user1020 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:56 am
VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:20 am Seems like a lot of Not Ranked players on the list which probably is a reflection more on how the rankings are done. Certain clubs and high schools will attract college coach eyeballs because of past recruiting, but for many rankings are driven a lot by how much players/parents are willing to spend in time and money to get noticed and heavily market the player. Several Virginia public school players played in the final 16/8 this year. None spent the time or money to attend events to showcase and promote themselves, but clearly the results show they are great talents. I guess you can call them under the radar talent. IMO in a sport like girls lacrosse relying on rankings as a way of measuring the potential success of a team is risky at best. Yes, there are a few can’t miss players, but in general most of the top 300 players are fairly even and it comes down to a coach developing and getting the most out of that talent.
I agree. Making these rankings would be a hard job, but they clearly favor the top colleges and high schools. Commits to top schools will be ranked higher and commits on premier high school teams will be as well. Sam Thacker went to McDonogh, so people were clearly at her games determining the rankings, so this allowed her to be “On The Rise”. Anna Palmisano is from the same class and high school as Caitlyn Wurzburger, who received a ton of attention in high school. Which then gave Palmisano the rating because they were on the same team. I don’t know much about the Severn School (where Dineen went), but they play in the IAAM so people who make these rankings are watching her games. It’s all a popularity contest and based on proximity and access, so you can have your pick of the litter of anyone
Sometimes I wonder if this is a chicken or the egg type of situation. Are these players ranked high because of the schools and clubs they play for, or would they be ranked high regardless. Yes, those who play in more tournaments and in better high school leagues probably get a bump because of their exposure, but a lot of the top recruits still end up at the top programs. It's not like they're all going to play at some directional school in the middle of nowhere. As much as people say coaches ignore these rankings, the top programs still get commits from most of the ranked kids in a class. So clearly the lists are not just made randomly.
I completely agree with you. These lists are hard to make so the best option is to watch the top club and HS teams and rank the commits to the top teams higher. The logic completely makes sense. It has some flaws but it’s near impossible to make these lists accurate
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

As Denver is showing, you don't need to have the very top ranked players to get to championship weekend. As 1980 US Gold Medal Hockey Coach Herb Brooks who famously said, "I'm not looking for the best players, I am looking for the right ones," -- a player selection formula that works for Denver, who must rely on unranked prospects to be successful. What Denver needs are very good, D-I leve,l hard-working players with proverbial chips on their shoulders for being overlooked. Then, you put them in a well-coached defensive system that creates wins, and develop them to the point where they can outwork lots of the top talent and be very effective in their roles, and here they are, undefeated and headed for championship weekend.

For Denver, it's a necessity. The reality is that 80% of all recruits (and all regular first year students for that matter) choose a college within a day's drive of home, so most of the better east coast schools already have their pick of top quality players, due to the quality of schools there and the large population/player base.

Denver does not have that local luxury. There is only one player on Denver's roster from Colorado, and as good as high school lacrosse is getting in the state, you can't yet win in D-I with a mostly Colorado roster. So the Pioneers must find a players from all over North America who are willing to really go 'away' to school, and that's pool of players that is about 1/5 the size of the talent pool that hotbed schools can select from. And to get those players to put Denver in their consideration set, you need to be able to offer a good private school with accessible faculty, small classes with a gorgeous campus that is not too big or too small (5-6K undergrads,8K grad students) 300 days of sunshine with no humidity in a pretty, big city with world-class recreational opportunities, dedicated lax facilities, jet travel with plenty of road opportunities to play on the East Coast. It's a formula that works not only for Denver women's lacrosse, but many nationally-ranked University of Denver teams in other sports - Men's lacrosse, Ice Hockey, Women's Gymnastics, Skiing, and Soccer, as well as for attracting regular students where about 70% of DU students come from out of state (including a good chunk from the East Coast).
njbill

Post by njbill »

As our old friend turtleslax used to say (I'm paraphrasing), he was looking forward to the day when a team west of the Mississippi won the Natty. (Just in case you are as geographically challenged as that "I don't know where Denver is" commentator yesterday, Northwestern is east of the Mighty Miss. TL would NEVER say anything kind about the Cats.)
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Puck Swami wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:43 pm As Denver is showing, you don't need to have the very top ranked players to get to championship weekend. As 1980 US Gold Medal Hockey Coach Herb Brooks who famously said, "I'm not looking for the best players, I am looking for the right ones," -- a player selection formula that works for Denver, who must rely on unranked prospects to be successful. What Denver needs are very good, D-I leve,l hard-working players with proverbial chips on their shoulders for being overlooked. Then, you put them in a well-coached defensive system that creates wins, and develop them to the point where they can outwork lots of the top talent and be very effective in their roles, and here they are, undefeated and headed for championship weekend.

For Denver, it's a necessity. The reality is that 80% of all recruits (and all regular first year students for that matter) choose a college within a day's drive of home, so most of the better east coast schools already have their pick of top quality players, due to the quality of schools there and the large population/player base.

Denver does not have that local luxury. There is only one player on Denver's roster from Colorado, and as good as high school lacrosse is getting in the state, you can't yet win in D-I with a mostly Colorado roster. So the Pioneers must find a players from all over North America who are willing to really go 'away' to school, and that's pool of players that is about 1/5 the size of the talent pool that hotbed schools can select from. And to get those players to put Denver in their consideration set, you need to be able to offer a good private school with accessible faculty, small classes with a gorgeous campus that is not too big or too small (5-6K undergrads,8K grad students) 300 days of sunshine with no humidity in a pretty, big city with world-class recreational opportunities, dedicated lax facilities, jet travel with plenty of road opportunities to play on the East Coast. It's a formula that works not only for Denver women's lacrosse, but many nationally-ranked University of Denver teams in other sports - Men's lacrosse, Ice Hockey, Women's Gymnastics, Skiing, and Soccer, as well as for attracting regular students where about 70% of DU students come from out of state (including a good chunk from the East Coast).
Puck—on this topic I agree with you. What Denver has done this year is astounding given what they have to work with in recruiting. I also think that having to “pick” your players when they are 15-16 years old necessarily means that more than half the top 200 “ranked players” will be outshone in college by their unranked peers.
This also allows teams like Denver or JMU who might get a good number of unranked players in a two to three year period who massively outperform their “recruiting reputation” to have seasons in which they punch way above their weight.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

The final wave of players for the New Balance All-American Game was announced today. Here's how the total selections broke down. Players are listed as well as their recruiting ranking in the list ILWomen put out in January. That list ranked 30 players, then had another 30 on the watchlist (WL). Some interesting omissions. Florida leads the way with 5, then Maryland with 4, and six other programs with 3. Let the griping commence....

Florida-5 Gabrielle Koury M (#9), Samantha Hughes D (#20), Ashley Dyer D (WL), Delaney Radin A (#23), Kiera Rooney M (WL)
Maryland-4 Maisy Clevenger M (#7), Alexis Dupcak M (#16), Julia Suriano G (#11), Annabella Schafer D
Boston College-3 Lacey Downing A (#8), Kylee Colbert M (#6), Lydia Colasante M (#4)
Clemson-3 Natalie Shurtleff M (#3), Regan Byrne A (#21), Jasmine Stanton A (#29)
North Carolina-3 Chloe Humphrey A (#1), Betty Nelson G (#5), Eva Ingrilli A (#22)
Stanford-3 Ava Arceri M (#14), Lindsay Devir M (#10), Shae Lembo G (WL)
Syracuse-3 Ashlee Volpe A (#15), Kaci Benoit D (#13), Alexa Vogelman M (#18)
Virginia-3 Cecelia Webb D, Alexandra Schneider D (#25), Madison Alaimo A (#24)
Dartmouth-2 Ryan Hapgood M (#17), Ellie Burdick M
Duke-2 Bella Goodwin M (#2), Caitlin Barrett M (#26)
Northwestern-2 Taylor Lapointe M (#28), Alexa Vantresca A (WL)
Denver-1 Alex Dorr M
Georgetown-1 Lauren Steer A
James Madison-1 Ava Bleckley M (WL)
Loyola-1 Avery Ruhnke M
Michigan-1 Rowan Clancy D (WL)
Navy-1 Felicia Giglio G (WL)
Notre Dame-1 Kate Timarky A (#27)
Rutgers-1 Reese Robinson A (WL)
Stony Brook-1 Olivia Schorr M (WL)
Virginia Tech-1 Isabela Torres M (WL)
Yale-1 Sydney Grogan D (WL)
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

jff97 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:06 pm The final wave of players for the New Balance All-American Game was announced today. Here's how the total selections broke down. Players are listed as well as their recruiting ranking in the list ILWomen put out in January. That list ranked 30 players, then had another 30 on the watchlist (WL). Some interesting omissions. Florida leads the way with 5, then Maryland with 4, and six other programs with 3. Let the griping commence....

Florida-5 Gabrielle Koury M (#9), Samantha Hughes D (#20), Ashley Dyer D (WL), Delaney Radin A (#23), Kiera Rooney M (WL)
Maryland-4 Maisy Clevenger M (#7), Alexis Dupcak M (#16), Julia Suriano G (#11), Annabella Schafer D
Boston College-3 Lacey Downing A (#8), Kylee Colbert M (#6), Lydia Colasante M (#4)
Clemson-3 Natalie Shurtleff M (#3), Regan Byrne A (#21), Jasmine Stanton A (#29)
North Carolina-3 Chloe Humphrey A (#1), Betty Nelson G (#5), Eva Ingrilli A (#22)
Stanford-3 Ava Arceri M (#14), Lindsay Devir M (#10), Shae Lembo G (WL)
Syracuse-3 Ashlee Volpe A (#15), Kaci Benoit D (#13), Alexa Vogelman M (#18)
Virginia-3 Cecelia Webb D, Alexandra Schneider D (#25), Madison Alaimo A (#24)
Dartmouth-2 Ryan Hapgood M (#17), Ellie Burdick M
Duke-2 Bella Goodwin M (#2), Caitlin Barrett M (#26)
Northwestern-2 Taylor Lapointe M (#28), Alexa Vantresca A (WL)
Denver-1 Alex Dorr M
Georgetown-1 Lauren Steer A
James Madison-1 Ava Bleckley M (WL)
Loyola-1 Avery Ruhnke M
Michigan-1 Rowan Clancy D (WL)
Navy-1 Felicia Giglio G (WL)
Notre Dame-1 Kate Timarky A (#27)
Rutgers-1 Reese Robinson A (WL)
Stony Brook-1 Olivia Schorr M (WL)
Virginia Tech-1 Isabela Torres M (WL)
Yale-1 Sydney Grogan D (WL)
Interesting list.. There are indeed alot of girls who were ranked when IL put out their initial list but have sense fallen off and did not make the list. This class is strong but very top heavy from what i've heard. Ofcourse it's an impossible task to have every deserving girl on this roster. Clemson bound Shurtleff is very good. big fan of her. But Sometimes i wonder what metrics they use when making these decisions.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Here's what it says on the Inside Lacrosse page where you can nominate seniors:
"A player can be nominated by a coach or athletic director. However, they do not have to be nominated by their coach (another coach in the same league/region may nominate a player). If you know someone you think is deserving of this honor, please complete the nomination by filling out the form below."
So my guess is you have to be nominated first. But as for the actual selection, probably various factors, some that help and some that don't.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I love to be critical of the Under Armour event, now under a new name, and I think I usually have good reasons, but the selection process of the 44 participants in the senior game is usually pretty darn good. If you take a look at the alumni who have participated in this game, you will see name after name after name of players who became college stars, first team all Americans, Tewarraton winners, and US national team members.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:20 pm I love to be critical of the Under Armour event, now under a new name, and I think I usually have good reasons, but the selection process of the 44 participants in the senior game is usually pretty darn good. If you take a look at the alumni who have participated in this game, you will see name after name after name of players who became college stars, first team all Americans, Tewarraton winners, and US national team members.
A lot has to do with the region one is trying out for. I’ve had coaches who have participated in selecting/coaching these teams admit it’s extremely political. It would be one thing for a single coach do say this but when multiple coaches mention it over several years there must be something to this. In our region the problem is we cannot get the full participation of all of the best talent. Half seem to skip events like UA and AS all together. It’s tied to the political nature of the selection process. Our region will have great players who play in the UA games become great players in college, but we also have another half who become great players in college who never even bothered with the event.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m talking about the senior game, not the underclass event, which I think is what you are discussing. I agree that the selection process for the underclass event is political and uneven, to be charitable.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

The HS lacrosse season and careers are coming to an end for 2023s and recruiting is in full swing for the 2025s. i'll just share my thoughts cause i follow HS lax closely. Good class in terms of talent but not as good as 2022, which might be shaping up to be the best since 2017.

2023 Class

With all that Cuse will lose next year, i expect a lot of the incoming players to get their chances. Ashlee Volpe out of NY is really good and has the potential to be a star attacker for CUSE and should have been ranked much higher. Their 2024 class will be their strongest in recent memory but until then they'll have to navigate a bit of a regression next year

We all know Chloe Humphrey by now who's ranked #1 in the class. I've been singing her praises forever but she's next level and has cemented it this year. Kayla Treanor level talent. The way coaches speak about her is rare. Fueled Darien to being undefeated and ranked #1 in HS lax for almost the entire year, having beaten 7 or 8 ranked teams. Will be interesting to see how Levy utilizes her with her all her other shiny toys but let's just say she won't be coming off the bench.

This is actually a good class for Maryland. Good players coming in but they're all Middies and no quality attackers, which is what they desperately need.

BC will go in a bit of a rebuild. You could see that they're out of gas. This is a good place to start introducing some younger talent starting with this class, which will be crucial because their top recruits in 2021 and 2022 have barely seen the field or given meaningful contributions. This will catch up to them eventually.

NW is in a similar position to BC. But NW is interesting because even though they don't land recruits as talented as the other programs consistently, KAH gets the most out of them because she knows how to mold raw athleticism and develop players. So from year to year the drop off won't be as steep. This class is really just another average NW classes full of athletic players.

2025 Class

Too early to get a complete read on this class but most of the top players are being recruited currently and will be committing in September. I think NW will do well in this class as a result of the championship bump and land more top players. Spallina's kid was anointed #1 pretty much since she was in middle school but there's another girl from Connecticut Gabby Lauretani who i think has surpassed her and is the best in the class. I think Spallina is CUSE bound. that or SB. can't see her going anywhere else.

This is a strong class for Long Island kids. Levy scheduled a bunch of camps specifically for Long Island kids and a lot of them attended and posted happy smiling pictures on social media with their parents. So expect her to land a couple of the top Long Island kids she has a bit of a pipeline there
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Agostino is in the portal
Lacrossetheworld

Post by Lacrossetheworld »

I think, if I have my facts correct, all 12 of the players that joined northwestern in august 2019, continued with the team and graduated last week. Is this rare to have the whole class stay on the roster for all four years? If so they must be doing something right at northwestern from a recruiting perspective (national championships aside). Congratulations to those ladies!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lacrossetheworld wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:56 pm I think, if I have my facts correct, all 12 of the players that joined northwestern in august 2019, continued with the team and graduated last week. Is this rare to have the whole class stay on the roster for all four years? If so they must be doing something right at northwestern from a recruiting perspective (national championships aside). Congratulations to those ladies!
It goes beyond recruiting. It’s next to impossible to know when you recruit a kid at 15 that they’ll be “the type” to stay all 4 years. Things change will always change over time. I’d give much less credit to recruiting and more to fostering team culture and upperclassmen leadership:
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:03 pm The HS lacrosse season and careers are coming to an end for 2023s and recruiting is in full swing for the 2025s. i'll just share my thoughts cause i follow HS lax closely. Good class in terms of talent but not as good as 2022, which might be shaping up to be the best since 2017.

2023 Class

With all that Cuse will lose next year, i expect a lot of the incoming players to get their chances. Ashlee Volpe out of NY is really good and has the potential to be a star attacker for CUSE and should have been ranked much higher. Their 2024 class will be their strongest in recent memory but until then they'll have to navigate a bit of a regression next year

We all know Chloe Humphrey by now who's ranked #1 in the class. I've been singing her praises forever but she's next level and has cemented it this year. Kayla Treanor level talent. The way coaches speak about her is rare. Fueled Darien to being undefeated and ranked #1 in HS lax for almost the entire year, having beaten 7 or 8 ranked teams. Will be interesting to see how Levy utilizes her with her all her other shiny toys but let's just say she won't be coming off the bench.

This is actually a good class for Maryland. Good players coming in but they're all Middies and no quality attackers, which is what they desperately need.

BC will go in a bit of a rebuild. You could see that they're out of gas. This is a good place to start introducing some younger talent starting with this class, which will be crucial because their top recruits in 2021 and 2022 have barely seen the field or given meaningful contributions. This will catch up to them eventually.

NW is in a similar position to BC. But NW is interesting because even though they don't land recruits as talented as the other programs consistently, KAH gets the most out of them because she knows how to mold raw athleticism and develop players. So from year to year the drop off won't be as steep. This class is really just another average NW classes full of athletic players.

2025 Class

Too early to get a complete read on this class but most of the top players are being recruited currently and will be committing in September. I think NW will do well in this class as a result of the championship bump and land more top players. Spallina's kid was anointed #1 pretty much since she was in middle school but there's another girl from Connecticut Gabby Lauretani who i think has surpassed her and is the best in the class. I think Spallina is CUSE bound. that or SB. can't see her going anywhere else.

This is a strong class for Long Island kids. Levy scheduled a bunch of camps specifically for Long Island kids and a lot of them attended and posted happy smiling pictures on social media with their parents. So expect her to land a couple of the top Long Island kids she has a bit of a pipeline there
. Agree with you about Spallina. She is one of the top ten players but I don’t think she’s even the best on her own team. PTs Connecticut player doesn’t like to feed otherwise I would agree. I think they have an attacker better than the middie. And Maryland as usual has a ton but much of Spallina’s team will be going top 20. Should be a very interesting September. Have been hearing for years the 2025 is gonna be a strong class.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:26 pm
Lacrossetheworld wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:56 pm I think, if I have my facts correct, all 12 of the players that joined northwestern in august 2019, continued with the team and graduated last week. Is this rare to have the whole class stay on the roster for all four years? If so they must be doing something right at northwestern from a recruiting perspective (national championships aside). Congratulations to those ladies!
It goes beyond recruiting. It’s next to impossible to know when you recruit a kid at 15 that they’ll be “the type” to stay all 4 years. Things change will always change over time. I’d give much less credit to recruiting and more to fostering team culture and upperclassmen leadership:
I’m more impressed that all 12 stayed on the team for all 4 years than I am that none of them transferred. Staying with a program for 4 years when more than half don’t see playing time speaks to the lacrosse experience offered by the program.

Staying at northwestern much less hard to understand. It’s the 10th ranked university in the country. Who’s leaving that to try to find playing time for lacrosse somewhere else ?!? And whose parents would suggest they do so unless the player was very very unhappy with the totality of their undergraduate experience???

Uva had 12 girls in the class of 2021 if I recall…and I beleive they all stayed on the team the entire time. Another school with great academics, a great atmosphere and a great team culture.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

A couple Upstate 23s who didn’t make the IL recruiting list to keep an eye on. Wynter Jock could make an immediate impact for Notre Dame and will be an All-American and among the most valuable middies in the 23 class (assuming successful recovery from injury this past year). She was one of the youngest to play for the Haudenosaunee National Team and was just honored by the Tewaaraton Foundation with the Native American scholarship. Wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see her at the annual Tewaaraton event again.

Jenna DiNardo played a bit in the shadow of #15 recruit for Syracuse, Ashlee V, through high school is a solid full-field player whose versatility should add value to the Virginia midfield. May not make instant impact, but should have a strong career in Charlottesville.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Deacon022 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:40 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:03 pm The HS lacrosse season and careers are coming to an end for 2023s and recruiting is in full swing for the 2025s. i'll just share my thoughts cause i follow HS lax closely. Good class in terms of talent but not as good as 2022, which might be shaping up to be the best since 2017.

2023 Class

2025 Class

. Agree with you about Spallina. She is one of the top ten players but I don’t think she’s even the best on her own team. PTs Connecticut player doesn’t like to feed otherwise I would agree. I think they have an attacker better than the middie. And Maryland as usual has a ton but much of Spallina’s team will be going top 20. Should be a very interesting September. Have been hearing for years the 2025 is gonna be a strong class.

We've know this for a while. Long Island's 25 class is off the charts; I'd expect at least 10 girls to go to top 8 schools. (Spallina is great, but I'd argue 3rd or 4th best player on her own team).

Not sure NW will get lots of these LI girls for various reasons which I know I have been discussed on this forum. But I would expect MD, UNC, Cuse, BC to all sign multiple players.

Likewise, next year's Maryland's 26 class is unbelievable (one club director called it the best year for Maryland in a decade). While LI has some outstanding 26 players, the depth of this class is below average (at least by LI standards)
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

2023 Class

2025 Class

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”