Michigan 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by 1766 »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:08 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:41 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm Financing the purchasing of Twitter for $44B compared to paying out a lacrosse coach at Michigan who makes a few hundred grand. The silliness of this board knows no bounds.
It's not silly. He's communicating to you that you are suggesting that UMich doesn't care about finances "because" they blow a ton of money on football. They were just hit with massive budget cuts in 2020, like many schools were.

They don't have a few hundred thousand dollars lying around for non revenue sports that can easily be wasted. What's silly is that you're convinced that they do.
Thank you. Thought the analogy would be obvious. Maybe beacuse Rutgers has been so dumb, profligate and wasteful with money he's projecting it on everyone including actual broadly long term successful athletic departments.
Yet here we are, in the B1G, using teams like Hobart to get our fourth line guys runs. Must hurt to be so fiscally well managed (which I doubt) and still get used as practice dummys.

Stay tuned, new lacrosse stadium coming soon.
FYI, in the preseason scrimmage that has been going on for 4 of the past 5 seasons, Michigan has run starters until Q4 (as has Hobart). They've used a 5th Qtr for the reserves and FYs. Until this years match, the advantage has been to Hobart. Get your facts straight before you bloviate.
Scrimmages are meaningless. Michigan has finished last or second to last every year in the B1G I believe.

If these two teams played Rutgers would be 7+ goal favorites.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Someone mentioned above the coaching turnover that has been quite consistent at Michigan. Regardless of whether or not it has to do with the head coaches personality, whenever that happens, you can't get a good, solid flow going. Especially for the players that assistant coach deals with the most. It is like going to multiple high schools for all four years of high school. Hard to get a good education.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:47 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:10 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:00 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm Don't agree with the idea that Michigan is just happy to have a program and doesn't care about winning. There are programs like that but I doubt Michigan is one of them. Do we really think the AD likes playing little brother to Ohio State in a new sport? If so, why even go D1? What was this all for? They don't need the extra tuition.
So why did the AD give Conry a "multi-year" extension?

My opinion is that he's patient, and knows Michigan is a tough sell for elite players, and knows Conry is doing a fine job with the situation he's in. What's your view as to why he did that?

For all the backseat drivers....who's the "can't miss" coach that's better than Conry? You guys have this all pegged, right? So who's guaranteed to beat O State and the other BigTen schools?

BTW----we heard this all before when Paul was coach. That "coaching was the problem". So they went out and got the Asst. for the NCAA champs, who knew how to win and how to recruit. Just like the backseat drivers asked.
Michigan, for so many reasons, is NOT a tough sell for 4* and higher players. Clearly, Paul "hit his ceiling" as to how high he could take the program. Yes, there are many established programs. But Michigan has so many things to offer. And that includes the possible opportunity for players to be a part of making the program, which has serious potential, great. God, I hope the coaches and other people highly associated with the program don't regular hear and see people say that Michigan is a tough sell for top talent. That would only lower their own standards.
Tons of four stars flame out every single year. You have to stop with this and understand the circular and self serving nature of the rating system at some point after many years of the same argument and being wrong.
STILL, to be a consistent big winner in a top conference in any DI College Sport, more often than not, you need to get lots of highly-ranked players. That is just the way it works.
Yes but your argument rests on all four stars being great unless coaches drag them down. It’s an entirely incorrect predicate underpinning your argument repeatedly.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Formerhound wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:19 pm ‘21 and ‘22 classes: 11 4⭐️ and 1 5⭐️ recruit. Not bad for a school that’s tough to recruit to. 😂
Didn't say that they were tough to recruit to. I said it's tough to get ELITE players there. Why do I say that?

Because they don't have any, that's why. You see any Schellenberger's running around in Ann Arbor today? Me, neither.

You have no clue how those kids with the starts by their names pan out, any more than IL does. None of us do.

I hope they're all great players.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm Financing the purchasing of Twitter for $44B compared to paying out a lacrosse coach at Michigan who makes a few hundred grand. The silliness of this board knows no bounds.
It's not silly. He's communicating to you that you are suggesting that UMich doesn't care about finances "because" they blow a ton of money on football. They were just hit with massive budget cuts in 2020, like many schools were.

They don't have a few hundred thousand dollars lying around for non revenue sports that can easily be wasted. What's silly is that you're convinced that they do.
Thank you. Thought the analogy would be obvious. Maybe beacuse Rutgers has been so dumb, profligate and wasteful with money he's projecting it on everyone including actual broadly long term successful athletic departments.
Yet here we are, in the B1G, using teams like Hobart to get our fourth line guys runs. Must hurt to be so fiscally well managed (which I doubt) and still get used as practice dummys.

You’re awesome. At he in the glory of Rutgers. Life like that eh? I get it given your specious claims and unintelligent fact devoid arguments around these parts.

Classic just like loser programs in the SEC bathing in the glory of their actual winner conference member colleagues.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FYI, in the preseason scrimmage that has been going on for 4 of the past 5 seasons, Michigan has run starters until Q4 (as has Hobart). They've used a 5th Qtr for the reserves and FYs. Until this years match, the advantage has been to Hobart. Get your facts straight before you bloviate.
That ain’t happening anytime soon.

As a guy I knew once used to tell me, and yet I still get sucked in, “sometimes you just have to let a “female dog term”, be a “female dog term”.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm Bro what are you talking about all I said was I don't think Michigan is happy to not win lacrosse games. I don't know if he's on his way out or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on in the next few years. Would you?
I was obviously exaggerating to give you a bit of a hard time for your riffing on how a multi-year contract can somehow means he's on his way out.

I give him ten years. Yes, I think they want to win. It's a brutal conference, and kids pay $20K more per year for the pleasure of attending than any other peer BigTen school. And each year, that tuition squeaks upwards.

Conry just needs to get lucky and strike lightning like Tambroni did with Ament. Get the ball rolling. I think he'll get there. But if he doesn't, UMich will move on.

My point in all of this is------he just inked a contract, time to move on from the " coaching hotseat" nonsense for at least a couple more seasons.

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:21 pm

You’re awesome. At he in the glory of Rutgers. Life like that eh? I get it given your specious claims and unintelligent fact devoid arguments around these parts.

Classic just like loser programs in the SEC bathing in the glory of their actual winner conference member colleagues.

Unintelligent? We were in the Final Four last year. Hobart hasn't been there since they were D3, which maybe you should consider. D1 ain't it.

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:23 pm

That ain’t happening anytime soon.

As a guy I knew once used to tell me, and yet I still get sucked in, “sometimes you just have to let a “female dog term”, be a “female dog term”.
Like you'd know anything.
a fan

Post by a fan »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:35 pm This is Conry's first time EVER being a head coach. I'm not sure who was on the market for a job when they were hiring, but I do feel like he was not ready to be the HC of a BIG10 program. I coached a 4star that visited there, and he said Conry came off as pompous. Had the kid waiting over an hour in his office during a visit. It was so bad that Turri was stressing out and continuously apologizing to the kid and his parents.

I think there's something to be said when your number 1 and 2 assistants explored other options. Turri landed St Johns, and Rogowski almost took the NJIT job. Not mad at Turri for the move but when your Associate HC was willing to take a job at the worst D1 in college lacrosse, I do not take it as a good sign. The VA from last year, Murphy, was promised a seat at the table as a full-time guy, and then Conry never fulfilled those promises. Murphy is now the OC at Vermont. I'd imagine a lot of turnover from your coaching staff is never a good thing. Especially for a team trying to crack a top 20 list.
So now Conry's not a good head coach/recruiter. Okay. We all have opinions.

So who's your choice for coach?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:25 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm Bro what are you talking about all I said was I don't think Michigan is happy to not win lacrosse games. I don't know if he's on his way out or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on in the next few years. Would you?
I was obviously exaggerating to give you a bit of a hard time for your riffing on how a multi-year contract can somehow means he's on his way out.

I give him ten years. Yes, I think they want to win. It's a brutal conference, and kids pay $20K more per year for the pleasure of attending than any other peer BigTen school. And each year, that tuition squeaks upwards.

Conry just needs to get lucky and strike lightning like Tambroni did with Ament. Get the ball rolling. I think he'll get there. But if he doesn't, UMich will move on.

My point in all of this is------he just inked a contract, time to move on from the " coaching hotseat" nonsense for at least a couple more seasons.
This is all started and perpetuated by the same guy who creates whole threads and frequently bumps them around coaches getting fired. You think it’s ever going to end?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

While we don't always agree, I agree with most of what you just said here. That would mean four more years. I continue to hope he gets it done. Hopefully, what we saw against UVA is more of a sign of what is to come for Michigan Lacrosse in the near-future than what we saw against Marquette.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:39 pm

While we don't always agree, I agree with most of what you just said here. That would mean four more years. I continue to hope he gets it done. Hopefully, what we saw against UVA is more of a sign of what is to come for Michigan Lacrosse in the near-future than what we saw against Marquette.
PS-A big factor in improvement and him getting it done is for the coaching changes to become much less infrequent. Not easy to get a good flowing when they happen so often.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

My guess is that Conry's "multi-year contract" is for 3 years (if it was 5 they would have said so), and that the AD will be looking for a new coach if things don't get better by then. How much better they will need to get is unclear.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:53 pm My guess is that Conry's "multi-year contract" is for 3 years (if it was 5 they would have said so), and that the AD will be looking for a new coach if things don't get better by then. How much better they will need to get is unclear.
I’m with you
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:26 pm

Unintelligent? We were in the Final Four last year. Hobart hasn't been there since they were D3, which maybe you should consider. D1 ain't it.
1766 How long has Rutgers been a full funded program? At least a decade? Probably a bit longer. Your team made the NCAA playoffs in 2021. That was first time since 2004, correct? Hobart will finally be able to offer athletic scholarships for the 2023 class. 3 for the '23, 6 for the '24s, 9 for the '25s and the full 12.6 for the '26 class. So yap to me about how great they've been as a fully funded program for well over a decade..
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:04 am

1766 How long has Rutgers been a full funded program? At least a decade? Probably a bit longer. Your team made the NCAA playoffs in 2021. That was first time since 2004, correct? Hobart will finally be able to offer athletic scholarships for the 2023 class. 3 for the '23, 6 for the '24s, 9 for the '25s and the full 12.6 for the '26 class. So yap to me about how great they've been as a fully funded program for well over a decade..
Great timing for the funding of those schollies,
the A-10 will definitely be competitive with the Big Three
lacrosse conferences.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:04 am

The guy hasn’t done anything himself but talk. Superfan bathing in the glory of others. Complete rent seeker. Doesn’t understand the point or value of competition. Will probably reclass any children he’s lucky to have that are consensual 3-4x and then take his kids trophies. Makes specious claims, talks about things outside his control and is oblivious to reality. I wouldn’t worry about a loser like that.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:31 pm
So now Conry's not a good head coach/recruiter. Okay. We all have opinions.

So who's your choice for coach?
Precisely. Thank you for re-emphasizing.

Give me a coach who does more with less. Give me a Deluca from Delaware or Torpey from HPU. There's definitely more out there, but those two guys come to mind when building a competitive program at a "lower tier" school. Delaware finds a way to use all their pieces effectively. Torpey recruits his bag off and ends up developing the kids, especially the "Diamonds in the rough." Both things I think UM could take some notes on. Now put one of those two guys at a school like UM with the allure and resources...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:36 pm

This is all started and perpetuated by the same guy who creates whole threads and frequently bumps them around coaches getting fired. You think it’s ever going to end?
it's not. unless michigan goes undefeated from here, then it'll be someone else. he doesn't seem caustic on his face, but his obsession about this topic in general is way weird. now the turnover of two 4 year assistants has to slow to once a decade or it's a real issue. of course, assts. move around all the time, in this case for head jobs (including previous dc?). met conry once, and yeah he seemed prickly. maybe personality's an issue but again, i was a stranger to him.

we're in the season, and how much actual analysis of the "coaching" has been done, right or wrong? zippy's pretty close? just *talent* so it must be *coaching*. will that ever shift, at least until the offseason? likely nah.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”