THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by youthathletics »

:lol: :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote:Margraff's name is next to and above quite a few impressive ones on this list and probably not many who did it all at the same school, with the admissions challenges and scandal free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... h_200_wins

Beyond that between he and Petro that's about 110-120 student athletes they're entrusted in bringing into the school which is a huge huge number at a small place like Hopkins, and it's a responsibility he handled well. When I was applying alongside Bloomberg and Woodrow Wilson the name they touted as an alum was a guy named wes moore who was one of his players.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2006/6/2 ... ellow.aspx

I've forgotten what the start date for practice is but I'm beyond ready to get this season going and to get excited about a new generation of kids. Disappointing that beyond college crosse, and IL's recruiting stuff there hasn't been much consistent offseason coverage of the sport, but I guess we get more live televised in season stuff now as a tradeoff.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... es-58.html
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

youthathletics wrote::lol: :lol:
Double :lol:
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Schedule recently added the scrimmages. Hop - High Point at noon. Hopefully the weather will allow for folks to show up and for Coach Margraff's memorial
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Rob Kuhn is now listed on the roster as #19...I assume this was done with the permission of the Huber family and it'll become one of those things where the number is given out every year to the guy who best exemplifies Jeremy's qualities on and off the field. A great gesture, if that's the case.
51percentcorn wrote:Schedule recently added the scrimmages. Hop - High Point at noon. Hopefully the weather will allow for folks to show up and for Coach Margraff's memorial
Asher Nolting is the best player in D1 lacrosse that no one talks about. He'll be a tough cover for our defense and is good prep for some of the attackmen the Jays will see in the regular season.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

HopFan16 wrote:Rob Kuhn is now listed on the roster as #19...I assume this was done with the permission of the Huber family and it'll become one of those things where the number is given out every year to the guy who best exemplifies Jeremy's qualities on and off the field. A great gesture, if that's the case.
51percentcorn wrote:Schedule recently added the scrimmages. Hop - High Point at noon. Hopefully the weather will allow for folks to show up and for Coach Margraff's memorial
Asher Nolting is the best player in D1 lacrosse that no one talks about. He'll be a tough cover for our defense and is good prep for some of the attackmen the Jays will see in the regular season.
He was an IL honorable mention All American, which would put him on the same attack line as Cole. So, I'm sure Jays are dialed in.
wantobefogo

Post by wantobefogo »

Checking out the 2019 roster----thought Jack Burnett had signed on for the team?
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

If Asher Nolting had played for an ACC/BIG school...he would have been higher than honorable mention AA. He truly is that good.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wantobefogo wrote:Checking out the 2019 roster----thought Jack Burnett had signed on for the team?
I want to say I read/heard that he was PGing somewhere? Can't remember - could be wrong. I saw him play once at a fall tournament in Maryland. Slight frame - very intelligent lax IQ - a PG year could benefit him lax wise if that is what happened.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote:
wantobefogo wrote:Checking out the 2019 roster----thought Jack Burnett had signed on for the team?
I want to say I read/heard that he was PGing somewhere? Can't remember - could be wrong. I saw him play once at a fall tournament in Maryland. Slight frame - very intelligent lax IQ - a PG year could benefit him lax wise if that is what happened.
Pretty sure Burnett is PG'ing. Assuming he joins next year, the upcoming class is gigantic: 19 kids by my count.

Jays start practice today. 26 days till Towson.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Today is Hopkins' first day of practice.

Not that fascinating but good to see that the games are coming.
molo

Post by molo »

Couldn't ask for better weather to prepare for February games. Well, actually it is pretty warm since there's no wind.
jimmywork

Post by jimmywork »

Doubting the Face-Off Yearbook's rank of JHU's attack unit. They are missing a quarterback. If you think Williams can easily fill that role a year after putting up 14 assists in 17 games you are overly optimistic. The kid is great but that's not his game.

Would have went with CU at the top spot.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jimmywork wrote:Doubting the Face-Off Yearbook's rank of JHU's attack unit. They are missing a quarterback. If you think Williams can easily fill that role a year after putting up 14 assists in 17 games you are overly optimistic. The kid is great but that's not his game.

Would have went with CU at the top spot.
I won't argue that they deserve the #1 spot (though definitely top 5), but I'm not sure about this line of thinking re: Cole Williams. 14 assists actually seems like a decent amount for a dodge-first scoring attackman. He wasn't needed to quarterback the offense with Shack behind the net. It's not so much that it isn't (or can't ever be) "his game" so much as it didn't need to be his game with Shack there. Having said that, I don't think anyone expects Cole to fill Shack's role at X. It's pretty clear that Cole will be staying where he is as a slasher on the wing, and either Joey Epstein or Forry Smith (or some combo of the two) will "quarterback" things—though it's fair to say the offense will operate differently no matter what without Stanwick. The attack brings back two starters who combined for 76 goals and 107 pts—both of whom are on upwards career trajectories—and bring in the #1 recruit in the country who shattered scoring records at Landon. Again, you can certainly quibble with IL's ranking, but there's a lot to like there and it doesn't at all require Williams to become Stanwick in order to reach its potential.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Epstein can carry the ball. Smith not so much. We need a couple of middies to step up and of course solid goalie play
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote:Epstein can carry the ball. Smith not so much. We need a couple of middies to step up and of course solid goalie play
Do we think that including Smith in the discussion at attack is out of respect for the upperclassmen/team captain or is there an actual possibility—perhaps even a strong one—that he starts instead of Epstein? In the IL video below, Petro talks about Marr and Williams as two obvious parts of the attack but then says that whoever is in the third spot, whether it's Forry or Epstein, will bring something new to the table. It definitely seems to be a competition to me, based on what Petro is saying.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nits/53578
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote:Epstein can carry the ball. Smith not so much. We need a couple of middies to step up and of course solid goalie play
Bingo. Hopkins has not had a first team AA attackman since Barrie in 2003 - the math is easy. Since that time - even with two titles in the following few years - the Hopkins attack has been dominated by a) great shooters (Byrne, Wharton and of course Brown) and clever high IQ quarterbacks unfortunately not blessed with a great deal of speed/quickness (Wells, Shack etc.). Virtually no member of the Hopkins attack in majority of the Petro era can be equated to Epstein's quickness. The only two that come to mind are Palasek and Boyle. Boyle was quick and could dodge to score and pass but he was not as quick as this kid is. LeSueur and Barrie were slowed alot by injuries. Smith is a nice off ball - classic Petro attack player. I think it was very unfortunate that he found himself injured/in the doghouse or whatever and was not a significant contributor last year. And Hopkins captains play - so there will be a role for him. However, you stick the freshman at X for the next four years - live with his mistakes - hope he stays healthy - and reap the rewards in the coming time.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote:Smith is a nice off ball - classic Petro attack player. I think it was very unfortunate that he found himself injured/in the doghouse or whatever and was not a significant contributor last year. And Hopkins captains play - so there will be a role for him. However, you stick the freshman at X for the next four years - live with his mistakes - hope he stays healthy - and reap the rewards in the coming time.
Agreed.

The season opener Feb. 9 at Towson will be streamed for free on Lax Sports Network. ESPN and Big Ten have not released their schedules yet.

Brendan O'Neill is no longer on the roster. That means that there are now only 2 upperclassmen offensive middies on the team—Concannon and Stagnitta. (3 if you count Ernst.) This was pretty apparent already but this only underscores the necessity that some young guns step up at the midfield this year. I assume Keogh and Baskin will mostly sub in through the box—between them, Zinn, Mabbett, Cattoni, Degnon, and Lilly, there are some interesting options to work with in addition to the obvious in DeSimone and Concannon and the possibility that Smith and/or Fox run through the box as well. The new rules may favor the guys who can get up the field quickly and assist in transition.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

If you guys watched fall ball you would see that Forry Smith was not only ahead of Epstein it was by a wide margin. Maybe he closes the gap in preseason but I cant see him starting over Forry just yet.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote:If you guys watched fall ball you would see that Forry Smith was not only ahead of Epstein it was by a wide margin. Maybe he closes the gap in preseason but I cant see him starting over Forry just yet.
I don't doubt that Forry could start but the fall ball depth chart is not the best way to judge. Not many freshmen walk onto campus in the fall and are immediately atop the depth chart when it's time for scrimmages mere weeks after starting practice. I'm curious to see how playing time is doled out for the High Point and Marquette scrimmages. Ultimately I expect Epstein will prove to be impossible to take off the field.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”