Transfer Portal 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hoya

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Post by Hoya »

Homer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:23 am
Hoya wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:10 am I enjoy the talk about relative future value of these degrees coming straight from undergrad.

That being said, it’s probably just awesome to be given another year to do something you love (lacrosse) and get a degree from an elite school while you do it. I would definitely tell my younger self to go enjoy being a college student for another year in the same situation.
Yeah, I tend to agree with that. You have the whole rest of your life to work, being a college athlete isn't an opportunity that'll ever come around again.

My question was, assuming you've decided that equation is worth it, does it really make much difference where you go to get the degree?
Depends on how much enjoyment you’ll get out of the university magnet on your car for the rest of your life. From an earnings perspective probably doesn’t make that much difference long term.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:20 am
Hoya wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:10 am I enjoy the talk about relative future value of these degrees coming straight from undergrad.

That being said, it’s probably just awesome to be given another year to do something you love (lacrosse) and get a degree from an elite school while you do it. I would definitely tell my younger self to go enjoy being a college student for another year in the same situation.
Being a student is a great gig, though most students don't recognize. A prime example of youth being wasted on the young.

My sense has always been the all MBAs are pretty worthless, with the true value of an elite B-school education being the connections and network building with fellow classmates.
80% true in my experience. For kids with liberal arts undergrads, even in economics, it can help. It’s more academic/intellectual than some think but it’s purpose is to train middle management since inception which is commercially oriented in nature.

I always wonder what Eric Holden thinks. Walked from a good entry level job opportunity, got injured and only worked into UMDs rotation late in year and had crushing title game loss to then have to go find another job. Good time to do it at least.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I had no problem down on M street and prohibition etc when I was mid 20s in DC…hooked up with an undergrad (during graduation week) in my car in my car in the waterfront parking lot in fact! It was excellent.

Recall Ryan Shuler bartended at one back in the day, Rhino maybe?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Being a student is a great gig, though most students don't recognize. A prime example of youth being wasted on the young.

My sense has always been the all MBAs are pretty worthless, with the true value of an elite B-school education being the connections and network building with fellow classmates.
Another value associated with the degree is the opportunity to make a radical career change when you begin to feel you are stuck in a rut. Couple of real examples I knew: Ballet dancer wanted to break into the business side of entertainment after her feet were wrecked. FBI Field Agent wanted to get into Forensic Financial Analysis after he grabbed a gun by the barrel and a bullet when through his shooting hand. Chemical Engineer wanted to get into sales, because "It looked so easy."
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:38 pm

Another value associated with the degree is the opportunity to make a radical career change when you begin to feel you are stuck in a rut. Couple of real examples I knew: Ballet dancer wanted to break into the business side of entertainment after her feet were wrecked. FBI Field Agent wanted to get into Forensic Financial Analysis after he grabbed a gun by the barrel and a bullet when through his shooting hand. Chemical Engineer wanted to get into sales, because "It looked so easy."
Buddy who formerly was COO of Regions Banks Capital Markets business was a classical violinist before going to Fuqua and growing up with the predecessors to Wachovia/Weels Fargo banking regime in Charlotte. Also a close friend from grad school was a professional rugby player in the UK then sold joint prosthetics for Biomet before becoming a healthcare banker ultimately now founder and CEO of a cord blood bank.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Watson to Jax
Mullins, Melendez, Tolen, Switzer, Foley enter

Air Force: Aidan Tolen (A)
Army: Marcus Hudgins (D)
Bellarmine: Matt Ury (LSM) #
Binghamton: Teddy Dolan (G) #-> Maryland, Kevin Winkoff (A) #
Boston U.: Christian Brofft (M)
Brown: George Pike (M) #, Darian Cook (A) #, Cameron Fiore (G) #, Andy Demopoulos (G)
Bryant: Logan McGovern (A) #
Bucknell: Alston Tarry (A) #
Colgate: Thor Adamec (LSM) #, Will Sidari (D) #, Ryan Decker (M) #, Brian Minicus (A) # -> Georgetown
Dartmouth: Peter Rizzotti (LSM) #, Danny Hincks (G) #->Georgetown
Delaware: Peter Ripperger (G) #
Denver: Tim Sheehan (M), Ethan Kriss (FO), Alex Simmons (A/M) # -> Syracuse
Drexel: Brennan Greenwald (LSM) #
Fairfield: Kyle Borda (M) #, James Corasaniti (G) #, Tyler Wuchte (M) #, Trevor Ford (M) #, Patrick Drake (M) #, Brendan Dreyer (M) #, David Dorsett (M) #, Brian Reda (A) #
Georgetown: Dylan Watson (A) # -> Jacksonville
Harvard: Austin Madronic (A) #, Jackson Hartje (LSM) #, Oliver Hollo (LSM/D) #
High Point: Devon Buckshot (A), Tyler Hendrycks (A)
Hobart: Derrek Madonna (M) #, Ryan Dickson (FO) #
Hofstra: Jacob Addeche (G) #
Holy Cross: Peter Dobbs (G) #, Chris Conlin (D) #-> Notre Dame, AJ Fox (G) #
Lehigh: Tommy Schelling (A) #, Cole Kirst (A) # -> Syracuse
LIU: Richie LaCalandra (A) -> St. Joe's
Loyola: Riley Seay (M) #
Marquette: Hudson Thomson (A), Russell Melendez (A)
Maryland: Jack Schirtzer (D), Michael Ubriaco (LSM) #
Mercer: Sean Goldsmith (A) # -> UNC
Michigan: Ronald Fisher (M), John Kiracofe (G)#, Gavin Legg (LSM) #
Mount St. Mary’s: Jake Kreiger (M) #, Jared McMahon (A) #, Connor McMahon(M) #
North Carolina: Jacob Kelly (A) # ~> Georgetown, Nicky Solomon (A) # -> Georgetown, Chase Mullins (FO)
Notre Dame: Davis Allen (M) #, Griffin Hawthorne (D) #
Penn State: Brody Firestein (M), Lake Baker (FO)
Providence: Richie Hughson (FO)-> Penn State
Quinnipiac: Owen Boss (A), Will Abbott (M) #
Robert Morris: James Christoforatos (D) #
Sacred Heart: Donovan Lacey (M) # -> Maryland
Saint Joseph’s: Jake Engelke (A)
Siena: Sean Swenson (D)
St. John's: Jonathan Huber (A) #-> Stony Brook
Stony Brook: Anthony Palma (G) #
Syracuse: Tucker Dordevic (M) #->Georgetown, Mikey Berkman (A) #, Jack Savage (FO), Shahe Katchadurian (G), Jack Kennedy (D), Matteo Corsi (A/M)
Towson: Mo Sillah (LSM) #, Drew Martin (M) #
UMass Lowell: Conor Foley (A)
UMBC: Nick Dupuis (A)
Vermont: Thomas McConvey (M) # -> UVA, Salvatore Iaria (M)
Virginia: Corbin Switzer (D)
Yale: Joe Neuman (FO) #, Chris Fake (D) #, Brian Tevlin (M) #, Luke Eschbach (M) #

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3): PJ Clementi (A) #
Catholic (D3): Kevin Crowley (A) #
Christopher Newport (D3): Brady Altobello (M) #
Gettysburg (D3): Griffin Gallagher (M) #, Tate Keinzle (DM) #
Salisbury (D3): Jarrett Bromwell (M) #
St. Lawrence (D3): William Helm (G) #
Kenyon (D3): Joe Bolea (ssdm) # -> Syracuse

Key
* = in the portal for 2024 season
# = Graduate Transfer
BOLD = most recent update
Last edited by HopFan16 on Tue May 24, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Transfer U!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nice pickup Galloway,
not exactly the expected route.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Chase Mullins (UNC) entered the portal. Should be a solid addition to a team struggling with faceoffs and/or one looking for some depth.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rtal/59730
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

ALaudico7 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:35 pm Chase Mullins (UNC) entered the portal. Should be a solid addition to a team struggling with faceoffs and/or one looking for some depth.

Per article - would give him 4 years of eligibility

Mullins, who had been committed to Maryland before switching to UNC, says that he plans to apply for a medical redshirt and hopes to maintain all four years of eligibility.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Hopefully the system will reach a rough equilibrium where the Chris Grays leaving a middling program after proving to be a top-flight player will be balanced by backups at top-flight programs going to mids to get PT, strengthening those programs. Of course the players getting knocked out of PT because of transfers, no matter the level of the program...
lorin

Post by lorin »

ALaudico7 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:35 pm Chase Mullins (UNC) entered the portal. Should be a solid addition to a team struggling with faceoffs and/or one looking for some depth.

He played in a couple of games why should he get a red shirt year, because he didn't start? Maryland, UNC, at some point he will have to put his big boy pants on and fight for a starting job.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

lorin wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:27 am

He played in a couple of games why should he get a red shirt year, because he didn't start? Maryland, UNC, at some point he will have to put his big boy pants on and fight for a starting job.
the article implies he had an injury(ies). if it was of the season ending variety, he'll need to prove it and then that's what medical redshirts are for. this wouldn't be unique.
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:20 am

the article implies he had an injury(ies). if it was of the season ending variety, he'll need to prove it and then that's what medical redshirts are for. this wouldn't be unique.
Article states he battled injuries, you can say that about 50% of kids in D1, so should every D1 player that played in 3 games get a red shirt year?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

lorin wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:35 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:20 am

Article states he battled injuries, you can say that about 50% of kids in D1, so should every D1 player that played in 3 games get a red shirt year?
no. it has to be a season ending injury with extensive medical and treatment documentation. what was his injury(ies)?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:01 am Hopefully the system will reach a rough equilibrium where the Chris Grays leaving a middling program after proving to be a top-flight player will be balanced by backups at top-flight programs going to mids to get PT, strengthening those programs. Of course the players getting knocked out of PT because of transfers, no matter the level of the program...
One would hope. You see some of it now - Logan Blondell (ex-JHU) at St. Joe's and the ex-UNC goalie at Jax for example. Those types of moves are somewhat complicated by the fact that the top tier programs in lacrosse also happen to be the most prestigious academically. So if you're leaving a top tier program for a mid tier, you're more likely than not losing academic prestige as well, which I would assume makes kids think twice about it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:52 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:01 am Hopefully the system will reach a rough equilibrium where the Chris Grays leaving a middling program after proving to be a top-flight player will be balanced by backups at top-flight programs going to mids to get PT, strengthening those programs. Of course the players getting knocked out of PT because of transfers, no matter the level of the program...
One would hope. You see some of it now - Logan Blondell (ex-JHU) at St. Joe's and the ex-UNC goalie at Jax for example. Those types of moves are somewhat complicated by the fact that the top tier programs in lacrosse also happen to be the most prestigious academically. So if you're leaving a top tier program for a mid tier, you're more likely than not losing academic prestige as well, which I would assume makes kids think twice about it.
Latter comment makes sense depending on how much they had to lean on lacrosse for admission to proposed departing institution. Ie while top tier schools have better door opening options if you could get into a UVA or Princeton as a student the you’ll be fine at a Hobart. I use that example because we had a kid Raymond recruited for Princeton but Bates didn’t want who was nonetheless admitted as a student but went to Hobart instead. Was a 2-3yr starter and doing just fine now.

That may be only 15-35% of lacrosse players admitted to the elite schools who are playing lacrosse but it does exist. At least Pre NLI and stacking availability. Maybe that’ll change too.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Air Force: Aidan Tolen (A)
Army: Marcus Hudgins (D)
Bellarmine: Matt Ury (LSM) #
Binghamton: Teddy Dolan (G) #-> Maryland, Kevin Winkoff (A) #
Boston U.: Christian Brofft (M)
Brown: George Pike (M) #, Darian Cook (A) #, Cameron Fiore (G) #, Andy Demopoulos (G)
Bryant: Logan McGovern (A) #
Bucknell: Alston Tarry (A) #
Colgate: Thor Adamec (LSM) #, Will Sidari (D) #, Ryan Decker (M) #, Brian Minicus (A) # -> Georgetown
Dartmouth: Peter Rizzotti (LSM) #, Danny Hincks (G) #->Georgetown
Delaware: Peter Ripperger (G) #
Denver: Tim Sheehan (M), Ethan Kriss (FO), Alex Simmons (A/M) # -> Syracuse
Drexel: Brennan Greenwald (LSM) #
Fairfield: Kyle Borda (M) #, James Corasaniti (G) #, Tyler Wuchte (M) #, Trevor Ford (M) #, Patrick Drake (M) #, Brendan Dreyer (M) #, David Dorsett (M) #, Brian Reda (A) #
Georgetown: Dylan Watson (A) # -> Jacksonville
Harvard: Austin Madronic (A) #, Jackson Hartje (LSM) #, Oliver Hollo (LSM/D) #
High Point: Devon Buckshot (A), Tyler Hendrycks (A)
Hobart: Derrek Madonna (M) #, Ryan Dickson (FO) #
Hofstra: Jacob Addeche (G) #
Holy Cross: Peter Dobbs (G) #, Chris Conlin (D) #-> Notre Dame, AJ Fox (G) #
Lehigh: Tommy Schelling (A) #, Cole Kirst (A) # -> Syracuse
LIU: Richie LaCalandra (A) -> St. Joe's
Loyola: Riley Seay (M) #
Marquette: Hudson Thomson (A), Russell Melendez (A)
Maryland: Jack Schirtzer (D), Michael Ubriaco (LSM) #
Mercer: Sean Goldsmith (A) # -> UNC
Michigan: Ronald Fisher (M), John Kiracofe (G)#, Gavin Legg (LSM) #
Mount St. Mary’s: Jake Kreiger (M) #, Jared McMahon (A) #, Connor McMahon(M) #
North Carolina: Jacob Kelly (A) # ~> Georgetown, Nicky Solomon (A) # -> Georgetown, Chase Mullins (FO)
Notre Dame: Davis Allen (M) #, Griffin Hawthorne (D) #
Penn State: Brody Firestein (M), Lake Baker (FO)
Providence: Richie Hughson (FO)-> Penn State
Quinnipiac: Owen Boss (A), Will Abbott (M) #
Robert Morris: James Christoforatos (D) #
Sacred Heart: Donovan Lacey (M) # -> Maryland
Saint Joseph’s: Jake Engelke (A)
Siena: Sean Swenson (D)
St. John's: Jonathan Huber (A) #-> Stony Brook
Stony Brook: Anthony Palma (G) #
Syracuse: Tucker Dordevic (M) #->Georgetown, Mikey Berkman (A) #, Jack Savage (FO), Shahe Katchadurian (G), Jack Kennedy (D), Matteo Corsi (A/M)
Towson: Mo Sillah (LSM) #, Drew Martin (M) #
UMass Lowell: Conor Foley (A)
UMBC: Nick Dupuis (A)
Vermont: Thomas McConvey (M) # -> UVA, Salvatore Iaria (M)
Virginia: Corbin Switzer (D), Jack Simmons (M) # -> Notre Dame
Yale: Joe Neuman (FO) #, Chris Fake (D) #, Brian Tevlin (M) #, Luke Eschbach (M) #

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3): PJ Clementi (A) #
Catholic (D3): Kevin Crowley (A) #
Christopher Newport (D3): Brady Altobello (M) #
Gettysburg (D3): Griffin Gallagher (M) #, Tate Keinzle (DM) #
Salisbury (D3): Jarrett Bromwell (M) #
St. Lawrence (D3): William Helm (G) #
Kenyon (D3): Joe Bolea (ssdm) # -> Syracuse, Declan Curry (M)# -> Sacred Heart

Key
* = in the portal for 2024 season
# = Graduate Transfer
BOLD = most recent update
[/quote]
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

FR defenseman Griffin Kology of Richmond entered the portal. A bit surprising
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brother is graduating from UVA. Maybe in some random way related to that?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”