D1 Mens Lacrosse
LaxFan2000

Re: Jared Bernhardt

Post by LaxFan2000 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:24 pm
LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:03 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:50 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:12 am
MDralphie wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 pm Brian Mitchell was an excellent return man for at least the Skins and Philly….don’t believe he had better numbers than JB….it can happen. How can you not root for #1
Excellent is an understatement. Mitchell actually has the second most all-purpose yards in NFL history, behind Jerry Rice. Three time all-pro. His dash was 4.59... though not sure how reliable that number is - pre-1999 both start and finish of the dash were hand-timed at the NFL combine. He also played four years of college football.

The fact that Bernhardt was signed to an FA deal is really impressive. Hopefully he can convert this opportunity into making the Falcons roster. Definitely going to try to catch a Falcons preseason game or two on streaming.
I have a feeling he is going to get chewed up and spit out. Lacrosse is one thing; NFL players are freaks of the freaky. One wrong move and you are broken, for life.

I would cash in on my lax chips and seek a cushy sinecure in finance, or sales.
I wouldn't count Jared out of anything. Do it at your own peril
My own peril? How so?
It's just a figure of speech. Not everything has some deeper meaning...
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Bernhardt projected to practice squad
https://twitter.com/falcoholickevin/sta ... QACzEqWI9A
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Go JB! Have to definitely find an Atlanta Pre season game! So great!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDralphie wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 pm Brian Mitchell was an excellent return man for at least the Skins and Philly….don’t believe he had better numbers than JB….it can happen. How can you not root for #1
Excellent is an understatement. Mitchell actually has the second most all-purpose yards in NFL history, behind Jerry Rice. Three time all-pro. His dash was 4.59... though not sure how reliable that number is - pre-1999 both start and finish of the dash were hand-timed at the NFL combine. He also played four years of college football.

The fact that Bernhardt was signed to an FA deal is really impressive. Hopefully he can convert this opportunity into making the Falcons roster. Definitely going to try to catch a Falcons preseason game or two on streaming.
I have a feeling he is going to get chewed up and spit out. Lacrosse is one thing; NFL players are freaks of the freaky. One wrong move and you are broken, for life.

The hitting will be far different than anything at the D2 level. Ali Marpet of D3 NFL game could’ve easily played 5-7 more years but had two concussions in the prior two year that had him thinking of retiring before last season (this is first hand, “horses mouth”, knowledge.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:24 pm
LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:03 pm

I wouldn't count Jared out of anything. Do it at your own peril
My own peril? How so?
He’s going to stalk your house.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:55 pm Bernhardt projected to practice squad
That would be an astounding achievement.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:36 am
AreaLax wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:55 pm Bernhardt projected to practice squad
That would be an astounding achievement.

DocBarrister
Jared’s path may be similar to Tom Kennedy, former Bryant lacrosse player. Jared doesn’t have that same speed but he’s more versatile athletically. He has a chance. Toughness and hard work goes a long way. My cousin was a DB in the league for 12 seasons. He was a very good athlete but never the best athlete on any team he played for but he was a hard worker and tough as nails. If Jared does play this season, he could be stashed and eventually make his way. Very nice kid that I have had the pleasure of meeting a few times. His dad was the best. He would be proud.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Have to demonstrate value on special teams, same as always. That’s the path to making the roster then you can earn PT or not.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:35 pm Have to demonstrate value on special teams, same as always. That’s the path to making the roster then you can earn PT or not.
Yep
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

he certainly could return punts and kicks possibly. making a practice squad, he'd add value preparing for new orleans twice a year w the falcons, and san fran and possibly others this year.

he'll need to be seen as a value at slot eventually, and that's route running and toughness, smarts. probably take the year to add 10-15 pounds on his frame will be needed as well.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:49 pm he certainly could return punts and kicks possibly. making a practice squad, he'd add value preparing for new orleans twice a year w the falcons, and san fran and possibly others this year.

he'll need to be seen as a value at slot eventually, and that's route running and toughness, smarts. probably take the year to add 10-15 pounds on his frame will be needed as well.
Yep. His chance is just as good as a lot of guys. Add in being coachable and some leadership skills, it is a plus. Not being an A-hole also separates guys at those last couple of spots.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:18 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:49 pm he certainly could return punts and kicks possibly. making a practice squad, he'd add value preparing for new orleans twice a year w the falcons, and san fran and possibly others this year.

Yep. His chance is just as good as a lot of guys. Add in being coachable and some leadership skills, it is a plus. Not being an A-hole also separates guys at those last couple of spots.
https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/atl ... kyle-pitts

and at the end
https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2022/8/2/ ... ey-hayward
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:25 pm

and at the end
Yep. That’s consistent with what I expected. Also, Jared has good family relationships around the league which is a “tie goes to the runner” type situation sometimes. It helps. He could make a 53 man roster next year or the year after if he keeps plugging away. Pat Spencer is going to get a contract at some point. May be a 10 day guy initially but he will make his way if he sticks with it.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Chris Hogan retired in 2020? After playing in the NFL. He played lax at PSU. Athletes who played lacrosse and pro football go back a century. Hopkins had a player drafted in the NFL. There are not a lot of them and it is a huge achievement but it is not unknown either.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hogan and kennedy have made it as undrafted free agents. will yeatman stuck for a couple years. the nfl was quite a bit different 100 years ago.

it's pretty uncommon for lax >> nfl, even if not unknown.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Athletes who played lacrosse and pro football go back a century.
I remember Rich Mauti, Long Island, Penn State and the New Orleans Sainsts.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:32 pm

and at the end
Yep. That’s consistent with what I expected. Also, Jared has good family relationships around the league which is a “tie goes to the runner” type situation sometimes. It helps. He could make a 53 man roster next year or the year after if he keeps plugging away. Pat Spencer is going to get a contract at some point. May be a 10 day guy initially but he will make his way if he sticks with it.
he hasn't shown the ability to hit 3s and i can't imagine he stays in front of 1s and 2s on defense. i don't see it, but would be very happy to be wrong.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Spencer got a training camp deal with the Warriors. Would be shocked if he made the roster but he has a shot.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:32 pm

and at the end
he hasn't shown the ability to hit 3s and i can't imagine he stays in front of 1s and 2s on defense. i don't see it, but would be very happy to be wrong.
Keep plugging away. May take him two years. He could be a 10 day to rest of the season type guy. Kevin Ollie was in the league for 10 years before he got a multi year contract. Keep working.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

jrn19 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 pm Spencer got a training camp deal with the Warriors. Would be shocked if he made the roster but he has a shot.
I don’t expect him to make it but its a step on the ladder.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”