Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bananas

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by bananas »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:12 pm
random observer wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:46 pm Horrific performance by the Georgetown offense today. So many unforced and lackadaisical turnovers. Defense and goalie keeping them in it.
17 Caused turnovers. Top defender was out.
Yessir, Baughn out for Tigers .Georgetown fogo dominates and get their normal great goaltending but Princeton still wins as it was their D that shined the brightest today .
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

random observer wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:46 pm Horrific performance by the Georgetown offense today. So many unforced and lackadaisical turnovers. Defense and goalie keeping them in it.
that's a good day at the office. on the radar now.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Too many turnovers ... credit to Princeton D, but many of them were self inflicted -- either throwing away the ball or low passes that Princeton could then check out of sticks.

Princeton scouted them well and executed. Gtown won the faceoffs on paper, but Princeton tied them up, created 50/50 ground balls, and limited transition. I don't think Gtown scored a transition goal this game which has been about 25% of their offense so far. They were slow to slide to Trippi, which allowed him to get 4 goals (great game) but kept the offense from getting into their usual motion groove and limited the other guys.

Defense played well, the team just gave up too many second chance opportunities.

With three games in 8 days, depth might have been a factor. Gtown looked out of step the whole game. Even with all that, they still had a chance to steal this game. Lots of learning opportunities in this one. Time to watch film and regroup.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Ground balls, clearing, sloppy play overall were masked last weekend by Reilly and McElroy’s incredible play. Princeton is a very good team and those flaws, and let’s be honest, some reading the press clippings, led to this result.

The good news is learning lessons in lacrosse are good in March and bad in May. Let’s hope that is the case here as I believe it will be.

I fully believe that this staff and this team will use this, learn from it and in May we will be, ironically, happy it happened.

Let’s see how the team responds. As Big U would say “everyone wants to succeed, let’s see who wants to do something about it”

Let’s go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:27 pm Ground balls, clearing, sloppy play overall were masked last weekend by Reilly and McElroy’s incredible play. Princeton is a very good team and those flaws, and let’s be honest, some reading the press clippings, led to this result.

The good news is learning lessons in lacrosse are good in March and bad in May. Let’s hope that is the case here as I believe it will be.

I fully believe that this staff and this team will use this, learn from it and in May we will be, ironically, happy it happened.

Let’s see how the team responds. As Big U would say “everyone wants to succeed, let’s see who wants to do something about it”

Let’s go Hoyas!
Ground balls... its not ike Gtown teams to lose the groundball battle, but now its two weeks in a row. Only three goal scorers today and only two assists. Again, Princeton did a phenomenal job of scouting and executing on it.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Yes the identity of the Hoyas the last few years is winning all the important non score stats - GBs, clears, rides, Caused turnovers, high assist to goal ratio. All of that is non apparent currently. Yes it’s worrisome but I do think the good news is all of that is more effort and focus than pure talent. The talent is clearly there so let’s hope the effort and focus come back on line soon. Another appropriate Big U saying “effort beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”. Clearly Princeton is very talented but the Georgetown effort as seen by GBs alone is not where it has to be. Good news - All those issues are fixable beyond just talent.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Those stats are likely accurate, but inflated IMO. No doubt Song and the Princeton D were relentless, but there were a number of turnovers that were likely counted as forced because a defenseman was in the vicinity, but in reality amounted to Georgetown throwing the ball away. Particularly egregious were the ones were a Hoya haphazardly flipped the ball to a teammate a few feet away from them, but handcuffed the teammate or did it so slowly that a defender was able to disrupt the play. It must have happened 3-4 times. Clearly Georgetown players were expecting the Princeton defense to sit back and let them pass the ball around, and they got a rude awakening when the poles stepped out and contested those spaces. Those are effort plays.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

random observer wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:04 pm
Those stats are likely accurate, but inflated IMO. No doubt Song and the Princeton D were relentless, but there were a number of turnovers that were likely counted as forced because a defenseman was in the vicinity, but in reality amounted to Georgetown throwing the ball away. Particularly egregious were the ones were a Hoya haphazardly flipped the ball to a teammate a few feet away from them, but handcuffed the teammate or did it so slowly that a defender was able to disrupt the play. It must have happened 3-4 times. Clearly Georgetown players were expecting the Princeton defense to sit back and let them pass the ball around, and they got a rude awakening when the poles stepped out and contested those spaces. Those are effort plays.
I know what you mean. I didn’t mean to infer that the CTs were take aways. Sloppy play helped what was already an aggressive defense. Since the last 5 games of 2018, Princeton is 20-8 with no post season play to show for it. Maybe this year will be different. It’s still early.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tld's licking his chops.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:25 pm tld's licking his chops.
It’s early. A lot of good teams.
Typical Lax Dad

random observer wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:04 pm
PS, heard the news on JB today. That stinks.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

This game felt a lot like the Loyola game last year. If you are going to have a game like that, much better this early in the season.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Said exactly same thing yesterday. Let’s hope it plays out that way Rolldodge!
Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

as a recent alumni of the team i can tell you first hand that Monday's film session won't be a fun one. Although the hoyas only lost by two I could tell that the team/coaching staff took it like they lost that game by a million. Rumor has it the coaching staff was comparing this game to the Drexel game back in 2017 where Gtown lost 15-10. However, I have faith in this coaching staff and especially in this team's great senior leadership that they will get things back on track. Princeton was a wake up call I hope similar to the Loyola game last year will help get things moving in the right direction. Rather learn these lessons and make improvements/adjustments now than wait till May
HGK

Post by HGK »

I know I keep harping on this but the Haley situation getting on course continues to be the biggest key to Hoyas going deep in May IMO. He is playing yes but not anywhere close to the role of last year. Morin is a great finisher from X but not a facilitator. Much rather him on a wing and Haley running the show from behind. With Haley playing above GLE we have zero threat to really
Attack from behind cage, draw and dump. If that persists we end up with some very good middies taking shots from perimeter or on the run with easy slides. Not a great formula. If Haley is still hobbled I would say until time he is healthy enough to run Point at X , I would put Trippi back there. Hoyas have to have the ability to attack cage from above and behind, as a feeder or turn corner and shoot. Right now we have zero ability to draw, make defense rotate and create good looks. Makes defensive job easier and if goalie is seeing it well you aren’t burying enough 12-15
yarders to win. I really believe when Haley is healthy this works itself out but until then put Trippi back there and at least keep the defense honest.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:46 pm I know I keep harping on this but the Haley situation getting on course continues to be the biggest key to Hoyas going deep in May IMO. He is playing yes but not anywhere close to the role of last year. Morin is a great finisher from X but not a facilitator. Much rather him on a wing and Haley running the show from behind. With Haley playing above GLE we have zero threat to really
Attack from behind cage, draw and dump. If that persists we end up with some very good middies taking shots from perimeter or on the run with easy slides. Not a great formula. If Haley is still hobbled I would say until time he is healthy enough to run Point at X , I would put Trippi back there. Hoyas have to have the ability to attack cage from above and behind, as a feeder or turn corner and shoot. Right now we have zero ability to draw, make defense rotate and create good looks. Makes defensive job easier and if goalie is seeing it well you aren’t burying enough 12-15
yarders to win. I really believe when Haley is healthy this works itself out but until then put Trippi back there and at least keep the defense honest.
Agree that Haley needs to get more in the flow as an initiator. Hopefully he's healthy --- would much rather have Trippi stay at midfield as another initiator from the wing and up top. Also think they need to get Hess more involved dodging from the wing and inverting. They could also use someone to fill the role of an inside finisher, as Watson is more of a long / mid-range step down type of shooter

They have the pieces, but still are working out the details it seems.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I don’t disagree that I’d rather have Trippi up top, but right now we have no x attack presence, Period. Trippi seems to be only one that can fill that void short term. Keeping an abundance of above GLE guys at expense of moving one to X seems wrong to me. Totally agree on Hess. Denver BEC and Cuse game he was extremely effective inverting.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

I agree with the Trippi to X idea, until Haley hopefully returns to form. We still have very good middies, can put Morin on the wing, and can get more dodging/inverts from Hess.

I also think GU needs to develop depth at midfield and this move will, open up more time for guys like Thompson, Sopko, Munro, MacLeod and Goldberg the good news is that the upcoming stretch of the schedule is less demanding that the start but are still solid teams.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:19 pm I agree with the Trippi to X idea, until Haley hopefully returns to form. We still have very good middies, can put Morin on the wing, and can get more dodging/inverts from Hess.

I also think GU needs to develop depth at midfield and this move will, open up more time for guys like Thompson, Sopko, Munro, MacLeod and Goldberg the good news is that the upcoming stretch of the schedule is less demanding that the start but are still solid teams.
This only makes sense if Haley is truly not physically 100% and they think that resting him will help him recover more quickly. Otherwise, you have to go with where you think you want your guys come late season and you have to give it time to gel.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

It’s an interesting discussion with Trippi at attack. I wouldn’t do it - he scored 4 goals vs Princeton all vs a short stick. That doesn’t happen if he’s an attackmen. Morin seems to be the only presence that can turn the corner at GLE as we saw with his game clinching goals vs Penn and ND doing that. Would be nice to see Haley able to do that but he seems to be just getting his legs back. I am in the camp of just giving it time to gel. I’m pretty encouraged by how the offense has looked so far - just one bad game with awful turnovers.

I think the staff agrees with getting Trippi behind, as I’ve seen him back there a bunch this year as a middie. The question is how long does he get a short stick. His time may have run out. One thing I have noticed from watching the Hoyas the last couple years is how much their offensive guys move around and attack from different spots on the field. I remember Carraway, Bucaro, and Wittenberg coming at the D from all over, was extremely unpredictable and hard to plan for. I’ve already seen Trippi initiate from behind, both wings, and up top. Maybe just feelings things out. Who knows what would have happened without all those careless unforced turnovers.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”