COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ggait

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by ggait »

Steel-Hop nails it.

If a coach is down to one year on his contract, that means "probably getting fired."

The Scanlan thing turned that into "definitely getting fired."

If Desko didn't know that, that willful blindness is on him.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

So what is Scanlan's current status with the team? His future would seem to be a big decision for Coach Gait.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:30 pm So what is Scanlan's current status with the team? His future would seem to be a big decision for Coach Gait.
I hope that will be the easiest decision GG has to make all year.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:44 pm
CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:30 pm So what is Scanlan's current status with the team? His future would seem to be a big decision for Coach Gait.
Just speculatin’ here, but I suspect Coach Gait has an opinion on what Scanlan did to the legacy of the #22 jersey.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:49 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:44 pm
Just speculatin’ here, but I suspect Coach Gait has an opinion on what Scanlan did to the legacy of the #22 jersey.

DocBarrister :?
As opposed to #19 who allegedly was the recipient of the purported illicit car loan which allegedly vacated a championship in some people's minds. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I hadn't followed the Scanlan case closely & just read up on it. IMO, Desko was lucky not to be fired on the spot after his team's captains felt the need to go around him to the AD to keep Scanlan off the team.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't you figure Desko had to follow the path of legalities as advised by lawyers and school officials while the players did not?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:19 pm Don't you figure Desko had to follow the path of legalities as advised by lawyers and school officials while the players did not?
I think that *may* be the issue. Especially with the language he used. That this decision was, emphatically, "up to him". I'm not so sure Desko was following the path of legalities as advised by etc. But this is pure conjecture on my part.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DMac wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:19 pm Don't you figure Desko had to follow the path of legalities as advised by lawyers and school officials while the players did not?
Hard to believe that was the issue. I'm no legal expert, but AFAIK a coach has pretty much absolutely authority to suspend or dismiss a player for rules violations. (I'm aware of a Cornell player a few years back who was put on indefinite suspension, and never returned to the team, for an infraction that certainly did not rise to the level of police involvement.) That the SU players went to the AD, and then the coach reversed his decision to re-instate, seems quite extraordinary to me. And it's hard to see how this chain of events could be produced by a legal issue. Wouldn't the coach consult with the AD first if that was controlling?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

in desko's first press conference regarding scanlan's suspension, he was asked when he might be back.
his response was they will tell me when. a reasonable inference from that is the university was in charge at that time.
throughout this time, his players gave him regular support publicly .
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

No irons in the Syracuse fire either way but thought it was not a great decision to bestow 22 before the dude even practiced w the team.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:13 pm in desko's first press conference regarding scanlan's suspension, he was asked when he might be back.
his response was they will tell me when. a reasonable inference from that is the university was in charge at that time.
I read that as Desko wanting Scanlan back ASAP, when the correct decision (reached by his team's captains) was not to take him back. Again, team captains going to the AD to protest a decision by the coach is pretty extraordinary. To me it means that the coach has lost control of the team. And, even more extraordinarily, it was not the team rallying around their teammate, but a desire to keep him off the team.

Again, I'm just reading up on all this now, but in hindsight there was zero chance Desko could survive this. That he made it to June is the surprise.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:41 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:13 pm in desko's first press conference regarding scanlan's suspension, he was asked when he might be back.
I read that as Desko wanting Scanlan back ASAP, when the correct decision (reached by his team's captains) was not to take him back. Again, team captains going to the AD to protest a decision by the coach is pretty extraordinary. To me it means that the coach has lost control of the team. And, even more extraordinarily, it was not the team rallying around their teammate, but a desire to keep him off the team.

Again, I'm just reading up on all this now, but in hindsight there was zero chance Desko could survive this. That he made it to June is the surprise.
there has been lots of convo on this, particularly on the cuse boards. there is an extremely good chance title ix and the university's interpretations drove the decisions around it from start to finish.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yes. Very reasonable. University Lawyers make decisions like these, not some guy who happens to be a coach.

Outside of bringing the player on campus, I have yet to hear one shred of news that Desko did anything wrong surrounding this legal case.

But that certainly doesn't mean that a University wouldn't throw a coach under the bus to "fix the problem".
CU77

Post by CU77 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 pm there has been lots of convo on this, particularly on the cuse boards. there is an extremely good chance title ix and the university's interpretations drove the decisions around it from start to finish.
I can't see how Title IX has anything to do with it (but as I said I haven't been following). Scanlan was suspended, re-instated, then re-suspended. I can't see any way for this chain of decisions to be based on competent legal advice.

To wit: Scanlan was re-instated, there were reports that the team refused to practice with him, captains went to the AD, Scanlan was re-suspended. That's not lawyers in action there.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:08 pm . Scanlan was suspended, re-instated, then re-suspended. I can't see any way for this chain of decisions to be based on competent legal advice.
I can.

-Desko did the original suspension.

-SU's lawyers said "you can't do that without Title Ix due process", and reinstates him.

-The players freak out over this lawyer move, and protest....all while supporting Desko.

-SU's lawyers get the due process from Onodaga County DA.....and suspend again.

Makes sense to me. And no, I have ZERO inside information on this.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:15 pm -SU's lawyers said "you can't do that without Title Ix due process", and reinstates him.
That's absurd. Players get suspended all the time for all sorts of reasons in all sports. Title IX might require SU to keep up a scholarship Scanlan was promised, but that's it.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Yes. Very reasonable. University Lawyers make decisions like these, not some guy who happens to be a coach.

Outside of bringing the player on campus, I have yet to hear one shred of news that Desko did anything wrong surrounding this legal case.

But that certainly doesn't mean that a University wouldn't throw a coach under the bus to "fix the problem".
I agree. I previously posted that I expected that the reinstatement, and everything afterwards, was following a script written by others. Where I was wrong was my assumption that, if he were following the script, he would not be canned.

Of course, he could be blamed for bringing Scanlon on, losing the locker room, and no longer have the cover of consecutive FF appearances, but I figured SU would have given him more time for a more graceful exit.

As a poster wrote about Petro, all things end badly, because if they do not go bad, they do not end.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Isn't Scanlan a Native American? Just saying, not sure if any outside pressure was exerted or not...
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:27 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:15 pm -SU's lawyers said "you can't do that without Title Ix due process", and reinstates him.
That's absurd. Players get suspended all the time for all sorts of reasons in all sports. Title IX might require SU to keep up a scholarship Scanlan was promised, but that's it.
I'm certainly not claiming it's not absurd. I'm just saying that it appears to me that the lawyers stepped in AFTER the initial suspension.

If you look at it like that, what happened-----the players supporting Desko, while at the same time, protesting to the AD, and refusing to play with Scanlon-----makes sense if you think that the lawyers stepped in AFTER Desko suspended him.

Just an opinion. I have no clue what really happened...no inside info. And as you know, I'm not a lawyer...so what do I know? ;)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”