D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:03 am
Wheels wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:44 am
Yes, a young man, who I coached as a kid, classmate/teammate of my son's, undergrad/player at Dartmouth, son of one of my Dartmouth teammates, did the Tuck summer program. Not a 'major'.

Summer is very beautiful in Hanover...All sophomores/rising juniors are required to take a summer trimester together; I liked it so much, I did two.
I think it's been discussed on these threads before, but I am still struck by Dartmouth's lack of success in lacrosse. Is it just funding/support? Seems like everything is there to be successful.
Yes, there have only been 3 periods in which Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse was 'relevant' in discussions of Top 20/Top 10 'success. '50's/early 60's, late 70's/early '80's under Hendrick/Ritch...I'm an '80, and early 2000's under Sowell :
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

I won't belabor the travails of getting the program back to where we're now, 'on the rise', but there certainly has been a lot of frustration, coaching snafus, administrative mistakes...but the Friends program is by far the strongest it's been in my nearly 40 years of involvement on it, recent fundraising has been excellent. And the new indoor facility is a huge plus. Being so far north and out of the way has always been a drag on recruiting and preparation, and the school was slow to recognize this (though coaches and alums and players were not!). Overall the facilities are fantastic now, funding support first rate....though it doesn't compare to the magnitude of the Yale endowed funding....few do anywhere.

The perception challenge from not winning is not insignificant when recruiting blue chippers...it's relatively rare to pull a player who has lots of Ivy options, plus Duke, UVA, ND, etc. But nevertheless doable. So, the sales pitch has to be tailored to those who will appreciate the smaller school, tight knit outdoorsy atmosphere of Dartmouth with the heavy emphasis on undergrad education with profs actually teaching, dinners at their homes, yet top notch lab opportunities, computer science, arts, etc. Gotta flip the script to explain how the winters bring the student body closer, more tight knit, how alums stay close, the incredible % of Dartmouth marriages (I met my bride freshman week)..etc...but if a kid is looking for urban or south not for him.

Toughest part for a lax player is the perceived weather, the reality that you're not in Virginia or North Carolina! So, the indoor facility just opened is really important, IMO.

Gotta remember that Dartmouth can't take just any player; no insult to Albany, which I'd say has even worse weather, but very few of their players could be admitted to Dartmouth. Same for for Vermont. Same for a whole bunch of schools with some darn fine lax players. And among those qualified academically, other schools, (except for those periods I mentioned) have better records of producing winning teams...and players with individual accolades. For a 30 year period, I was the only multi year AA...blue chippers do look at that sort of thing. Yet, under the Sowell regime several guys did so. Team needs to win.

So, Dartmouth competes for the Ivy athlete amongst a group of peer schools, each of which has some relative advantages for a specific slice of players. Which also means that the Dartmouth recruiting staff needs to pick up the late blooming athlete who is qualified academically and show them a path to contributing quickly at the next level. Looking for the guy who 'has something to prove'...

IMO, it requires great coaching (including assistants); the biggest challenge for us has been keeping coaches, the right coaches...had not been enough financial support and commitment from the school, recognizing the challenge to do so, particularly in lax, men's lax. There have been some regrettable choices, both with head coaches, but just as importantly not great assistants (we feel very good now). I don't know that we'll do better attracting and keeping good coaches going forward, but the Friends program has kicked this up two gears, and the new AD may be helpful; last was weak. Our current HC continues to grow as a coach and person and he has an excellent AHC/recruiter. Strong team. We need to keep them, develop them, support them. For instance, had we been able to keep Sowell ($ and wife didn't like being away from friends/family), I think we'd be having a very different conversation about Dartmouth's relevance, with a bunch of Ivy titles and NCAA runs over the past two decades.

The Women's program, which is equally supported by the Friends program, has certainly proven over many decades of success what's possible to do at Dartmouth. The Men's alums have been most of the funders, however the Women are beginning to kick in more and more share of funding. Frankly, it had been frustrating to see the funds split the way they were, while the women had lower expenses and more outside support (winning brings the corporate support!). But this is beginning to balance better, which helps the Men's program as overall funding continues to rise well.

First step for the Men has been to get out of the basement of the sport overall. We saw significant on-field progress in '19 and came out of the gate really well in '20. The program survived Covid largely in good spirits (though some disgruntlement of course), so it will be interesting to see how they do this next year. The second step is to begin to knock off, regularly, the Ivy rivals and ultimately to compete for Ivy titles and NCAA tourney progress...ala what Sowell proved could be done. Indeed, he did it rather swiftly. Not saying that the current regime's rise will be as swift this go round, as I think the competition has stepped up a notch as well, but it really takes just a handful of special players to make that happen.
Plus, Dartmouth recruits have to be comfortable risking their lives on a potentially deadly flight into the tiny airport in Lebanon, NH.

I remember flying in for a medical school interview. We were in complete white-out for more than an hour. Then, when we finally came out of the clouds, it appeared our tiny plane was pointed straight to the ground. I have never seen a plane descend so quickly. We landed on a snow-covered runway and were immediately informed the airport was now closed. I have never forgotten that flight and now refuse to get on anything that small.

So, other than near-certain death flying into the local airport, there is absolutely nothing holding back the Dartmouth lacrosse program.

DocBarrister ;)
:D In my day we took the over nighter train "the Montrealer" into White River Junction...I remember my freshman trip up on January 2nd '77, arriving to 10 foot snow banks...took big old yellow cabs, '50's style, with chains on tires...unbelievably beautiful, like out of the movies...

The only time I took that puddle jumper, I broke an eardrum on the descent...not a fan, though lots swear it's no sweat. If we don't drive up these days, we fly into the Manchester Airport, southwest, super easy and cheap and rent a car. As to puddle jumpers and small strip landings, I also fly into Montrose rather than the Telluride Airport...no way I want to take the risk of a white out and what's a little drive...
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Stick to transfer portal info - move the Dartmouth stuff to the Dartmouth page.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SkipPass wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:52 pm Stick to transfer portal info - move the Dartmouth stuff to the Dartmouth page.
Agreed. Just answered a question, but not on topic.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Wow. Big uptick in DIII portal entries last few days.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Drew Blanchard is a pretty under the radar guy. Not sure his plans but he'd help a lot of teams.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:01 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:53 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:30 pm A few notable omissions for your list -

Binghamton - Dolan (G)
Brown - Pike (M)
Duke - Basile (A)
F&M - Keating (A)
Georgetown - Lindsay (DM)
Marist - Zukowski (DM) > Duke
Maryland - Whelan (LSM)
Mercyhurst - Grenon (M), Pipher (A), Kueber (A)
Mount St. Mary’s - Frankeny (A), Stephen (FO), McIntosh (D)
UNC - Cameron (A), Alexander (DM)
Syracuse - Lee (D), Stirpe (A)
Lot of movement out of Chapel Hill this year...
Hmmmm. I think the ACC is going to drop lax in 2-3 years and go club :shock:
I thought Basile had used up his eligibility.If he has another year,he may want to join his brother at UVM.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

SkipPass wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:52 pm Stick to transfer portal info - move the Dartmouth stuff to the Dartmouth page.
To be completely literal and textual … a transportation facility like the Lebanon Municipal Airport (aka, the Portal of Death) could be considered a “transfer portal” because you transfer from air transportation to ground transportation and vice versa.

So, from a textualist perspective, the post was on-topic.

DocBarrister (knew law school was good for something) :D
@DocBarrister
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

"Had been hearing rumors of this move, and now it's official: Max Waldbaum, a three-year starter at @TuftsLacrosse who has 102 goals and 27 assists in his career, will be joining the Dolphins as a grad transfer next year." - Ty Xanders

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/14 ... 1938509829
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Transfers @ 06-10-2021

Air Force - Sean Curcio (M)*** -> Drexel
Albany - Davis Diamond (A) -> Lynn (D2), Kyle Casey (A)**, Matt Eccles (M)**
Binghamton - Tom Galgano (D)**,Teddy Dolan (G)*
Boston U. - Michael Doxie (M)**
Bryant: Mason Balch (A), Ryan Auger (M), Mitch Lachman (A)
Brown - George Pike (M)*, Riley Stewart (M)**, Ryan Aughavin (M)** -> (Staying at Brown for Extra Year), Finn Gibbons (A)**
Bucknell - Matt Fedorjaka (M)** - > Notre Dame, Tommy Sopko (A)**, Sumner Brumbaugh (A)**, Bryant Boswell (D)**
Canisius - Otto Bergmann (G)
Cleveland State - Kevin Sobey (G)
Colgate - Mike Hawkins, (A/M)** -> Notre Dame, James Caddigan (A)**
Cornell - Jonathan Donville (M)** -> Maryland, Harrison Bardwell (SSDM)**, Matt Licciardi (M)**
Dartmouth - Peter Rizzotti (LSM), Danny Hincks (G)*, Kellen Paradine (D)**, Westy McLaughlin (A)
Delaware - Peter St. Geme (M)
Detroit Mercy: Logan Shamblin (G)**
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (A) -> Mount St. Mary's, Aidan Coll(offense)**
Duke - JP Basile (A)**
Georgetown - Gavin Lindsay (SSDM)**
Hartford - 10+ Players
Harvard - Austin Madronic (A)*
Hobart: Drew Blanchard (FO)**
Hofstra - Ben Stewart (M) -> Wagner
Jacksonville - Colby Rogers (FO)
Johns Hopkins - Owen Murphy (A), Brett Baskin (A/M)**, Luke Shilling (A)**, John Cohen (A), John Schreiber (M), Kaden Brothers (D), Jacob Brunner (M)
Lehigh - Matt Douglas (LSM/D)** —> Notre Dame
Marist - Jake Weinman (A)**, Jack Zukowski (SSDM)** -> Duke
Marquette - John Hulsman (G)**
Maryland- Connor Whalen (LSM), Dean Draughan (M), Kyle Berkeley (M)**, Conor Calderone (FO)
Mercer - Collin Stewart (M)
Michigan - Kevin Mack (A)**, Alex Bucknavage (M)**, Joey Corbett (M)
Monmouth: Chris Hervada (D)**
Mount St. Mary's - Louis Frankeny (A)**, Bryan McIntosh (D)** -> Hofstra , Sam Stephen (FO)**
North Carolina - Will Bowen (D)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (G)-> Ohio State, Luke Millican (G)**, Alex Trippi **(A), Parker Alexander (SSDM)**, Brian Cameron (A)
Notre Dame: Michael Drake (A/M)**, Matt Schmidt (G)**; Connor Morin (A)**, Jimmy Littlefield (D)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (A) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> Tampa (D2), Grant Mitchell (M), Michael Clibanoff (G), Matthew Clibanoff (A)
Penn - Mitch Bartolo (A/M)**-> Rutgers , Sean Lulley (A)**
Penn State - Cole Willard (M)** -> Tampa (D2), John Nostrant (M)**
Providence - Toby Burgdorf (G)**, Emmett Jennings (D)**
Richmond - Jax Popovich (FO) -> Boston U., Jason Reynolds (D)** —> Norte Dame, Tate Gallagher (M)**
Robert Morris - Michael Autry (FO)**
Rutgers - Max Beauchamp (M)
Sacred Heart: Logan Liljeberg (A)**—>UMass
St. Bonaventure - Brett Dobson (G)**
St. John’s - Dylan Willis (M) -> (Withdrawn on 5/4)
Stony Brook - Daniel Cassidy (D)**, Layton Harrell (A), Tommy Dolciotto (M), Zach Thompson (A), Steven Pinto (M), Kyle Herbert (G)**
Syracuse - Zach Lee (D), JT Stirpe (A), Nathan McPeak (G)**, Luke Talago (FO)
Towson - Casey Wasserman (M)->Utah
UMass - Luke Blanc (A)->Marquette , Tyler Strub (D)
UMBC - Ryan Young (D)
Villanova - Keegan Khan (A)**, Owen PrybylskI (D)**, Dan Fisher (FO)**, Stevie Peters (M)**, Brendan Haggerty (G)**
Virginia - Will Rock (LSM)**, Regan Quinn (M)**, Russell Maher (A/M), Gavin Tygh (FO), Jackson Appelt (A)**, Michael Harmeyer (A)
VMI - Jon Fant (A) -> St. Joe’s
Vermont: Connor Boyle (M)
Yale - Nick Caccamo (D) -> Syracuse

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3) - Gib Versfeld (G)** -> Johns Hopkins, Ethan Kazmierski (M)**
Franklin & Marshall (D3) - Luke Keating (A)**
Gettysburg (D3) - Andrew Horn (D)**
Lynchburg (D3) - Tyler Gallagher (D)** ->Ohio State
Mercyhurst (D2) - Caleb Kueber (A)**, John Pipher (A)**, Nathan Grenon (M)**
Salisbury (D3) - Brad Apgar (D)**, Griffin Moroney (A)**
Stevens Tech (D3) - Ryan Gebhardt (A/M)**
SUNY-Maritime (D3) - Matt DeMeo (M)! -> Stony Brook
Tufts (D3) - Max Waldbaum (A)** -> Jacksonville
Wesleyan (D3) - Ronan Jacoby (A)** -> Rutgers
York (D3) - Brendan O'Sullivan (A)**

* in the portal for the future 2023
** grad transfer
*** transfer from Air Force Prep
! For future 2022
BOLD most recent addition
—————————————

Also,
last complete prior season transfer listing,

viewtopic.php?p=186499#p186499
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

2 of the Maryland guys weren't even on the roster this year. Hopefully the players can use the portal as a way to get themselves recruited, but it really isn't a transfer from the MD team.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Transfers @ 06-10-2021

Brown - George Pike (M)*, Riley Stewart (M)**, Ryan Aughavin (M)** -> (Staying at Brown for Extra Year), Finn Gibbons (A)**
Bucknell - Matt Fedorjaka (M)** - > Notre Dame, Tommy Sopko (A)**, Sumner Brumbaugh (A)**, Bryant Boswell (D)**
Colgate - Mike Hawkins, (A/M)** -> Notre Dame, James Caddigan (A)**
Cornell - Jonathan Donville (M)** -> Maryland, Harrison Bardwell (SSDM)**, Matt Licciardi (M)**
Dartmouth - Peter Rizzotti (LSM), Danny Hincks (G)*, Kellen Paradine (D)**, Westy McLaughlin (A)
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (A) -> Mount St. Mary's, Aidan Coll(offense)**
Duke - JP Basile (A)**
Hartford - 10+ Players
Johns Hopkins - Owen Murphy (A), Brett Baskin (A/M)**, Luke Shilling (A)**, John Cohen (A), John Schreiber (M), Kaden Brothers (D), Jacob Brunner (M)
Marquette - John Hulsman (G)**-> Florida Tech (DII)
Maryland- Connor Whalen (LSM), Dean Draughan (M), Kyle Berkeley (M)**, Conor Calderone (FO)
Monmouth: Chris Hervada (D)**
Mount St. Mary's - Louis Frankeny (A)**, Bryan McIntosh (D)** -> Hofstra, Sam Stephen (FO)**
North Carolina - Will Bowen (D)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (G)-> Ohio State, Luke Millican (G)**, Alex Trippi **(A), Parker Alexander (SSDM)**, Brian Cameron (A)
Notre Dame: Michael Drake (A/M)**, Matt Schmidt (G)**; Connor Morin (A)**, Jimmy Littlefield (D)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (A) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> Tampa (D2), Grant Mitchell (M), Michael Clibanoff (G), Matthew Clibanoff (A)
Richmond - Jax Popovich (FO) -> Boston U., Jason Reynolds (D)** —> Norte Dame, Tate Gallagher (M)**
Stony Brook - Daniel Cassidy (D)**, Layton Harrell (A), Tommy Dolciotto (M), Zach Thompson (A), Steven Pinto (M), Kyle Herbert (G)**
UMBC - Ryan Young (D)
Villanova - Keegan Khan (A)**, Owen PrybylskI (D)**, Dan Fisher (FO)**, Stevie Peters (M)**, Brendan Haggerty (G)**
Virginia - Will Rock (LSM)**, Regan Quinn (M)**, Russell Maher (A/M), Gavin Tygh (FO), Jackson Appelt (A)**, Michael Harmeyer (A)

Division 2/3

** grad transfer
! For future 2022
—————————————

Also,

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Things are moving a lot quicker than I had assumed.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Transfers @ 06-10-2021

Colgate - Mike Hawkins, (A/M)** -> Notre Dame, James Caddigan (A)**, Thor Adamec (LSM)*
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (A) -> Mount St. Mary's, Aidan Coll(offense)**, Brennan Greenwald (LSM)*
Duke - JP Basile (A)**
Hartford - 10+ Players
Maryland- Connor Whalen (LSM), Dean Draughan (M), Kyle Berkeley (M)**, Conor Calderone (FO), Nick DeMaio (A)
Monmouth: Chris Hervada (D)**, Dom Pizzulli (A)**
Mount St. Mary's - Louis Frankeny (A)**, Bryan McIntosh (D)** -> Hofstra, Sam Stephen (FO)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (A) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> Tampa (D2), Grant Mitchell (M), Michael Clibanoff (G), Matthew Clibanoff (A), Henry Watson (D)
UMBC - Ryan Young (D)

Division 2/3

** grad transfer
! For future 2022
—————————————

Also,

Medallion8s

Post by Medallion8s »

Transfers @ 06-10-2021

Colgate - Mike Hawkins, (A/M)** -> Notre Dame, James Caddigan (A)**, Thor Adamec (LSM)*
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (A) -> Mount St. Mary's, Aidan Coll(offense)**, Brennan Greenwald (LSM)*
Duke - JP Basile (A)**
Hartford - 10+ Players
Maryland- Connor Whalen (LSM), Dean Draughan (M), Kyle Berkeley (M)**, Conor Calderone (FO), Nick DeMaio (A)
Monmouth: Chris Hervada (D)**, Dom Pizzulli (A)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (A) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> Tampa (D2), Grant Mitchell (M), Michael Clibanoff (G), Matthew Clibanoff (A), Henry Watson (D)
UMBC - Ryan Young (D)

Division 2/3
Salisbury (D3) - Brad Apgar (D)**-> Rutgers, Griffin Moroney (A)**
Ursinus (D3) - Hakan Atillasoy (A)**

** grad transfer
! For future 2022
—————————————
bananas

Post by bananas »

Noticed Cornell's mid Donville on transfer list arrowed to Maryland .

Did not see any reports . Is that official ?

If it is , that is not good news for RU and Maryland opponents.Be Tillman again striking quick to stay on top.

BigRed didnt play in 21" and Donville may be somewhat forgotten but he was a AA , best mid in portal. Frustrating.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

It does not sound official, but the MD fans sound optimistic here: viewtopic.php?p=268921#p268921
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

bananas wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 am Noticed Cornell's mid Donville on transfer list arrowed to Maryland .

If it is , that is not good news for RU and Maryland opponents.Be Tillman again striking quick to stay on top.

BigRed didnt play in 21" and Donville may be somewhat forgotten but he was a AA , best mid in portal. Frustrating.
Hasn't been publicly reported yet but it's been something of an open secret for several weeks now. It's a very good get for Maryland but I wouldn't worry about it too much from an opposing fan's perspective. It should make up for a bit of losing Bernhardt, DeMaio, and Brown—but not all of it. If they get Khan too then it's probably time to panic. That would certainly be annoying. On the bright side, the Terps would appear to have some issues at FOGO though it sounds like Tillman will likely dip into the transfer pool there as well. Could be this year's Duke/ND in terms of relying on transfers to plug holes rather than promoting from within.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

bananas wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 am Noticed Cornell's mid Donville on transfer list arrowed to Maryland .

On other Maryland boards it is a rumor but most feel it’s a go.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Significantly less activity than last year, and fewer impact players actually in the portal.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 am Significantly less activity than last year, and fewer impact players actually in the portal.
Makes sense, most of those players were on track to graduate in spring of 2020 when everything was cancelled. Now players have a clearer picture and can plan and make arrangements for staying at their school. Coaches can also prepare and offer extended scholarships to underclassmen on their roster ahead of time. Last year also had a waiver for all of the seniors returning to their own school to not have their scholarships count against the 12.6. So if JT Giles Harris was on 75% in 2020, and he returned to Duke. Then only an increase beyond 75% would count against Duke’s 12.6 in 2021. That waiver is gone so it now costs a school like UNC to keep Chris Gray for 2022. Making less money available for possible transfers from outside schools. That’s why your seeing some of these schools attempt to trim the fat, Maryland comes to mind.

On a separate note, getting whiffs of Maher to Brown. Not confirmed yet.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”