University of Maryland Terrapins

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: University of Maryland Terrapins

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:32 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:09 pm Unfortunate the Carolina game is off the schedule this year
Real bummer…CR didn’t want them to play UNC (citing “budget”) even when they offered to come up to Maryland
That's interesting. It was always nice to have two teams like that meeting so early in the season. Even if it ended up a lopsided victory, early season results aren't everything and BC is proof of that. I can't speak to athletic dep budgets or how they've been impacted in the last 2 years because I don't know much about it, but the logistics and planning alone for a team's schedule is difficult enough. I'm not going to speculate about why it was done and hope that they can get back on each other's schedules in the future.

I will say, all of their non-conference games both home and away are against opponents that are reasonably close by, none anywhere near to as far as UNC. Maybe there's something we don't know about
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:04 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:09 pm Unfortunate the Carolina game is off the schedule this year
Real bummer…CR didn’t want them to play UNC (citing “budget”) even when they offered to come up to Maryland
That's interesting. It was always nice to have two teams like that meeting so early in the season. Even if it ended up a lopsided victory, early season results aren't everything and BC is proof of that. I can't speak to athletic dep budgets or how they've been impacted in the last 2 years because I don't know much about it, but the logistics and planning alone for a team's schedule is difficult enough. I'm not going to speculate about why it was done and hope that they can get back on each other's schedules in the future.

I will say, all of their non-conference games both home and away are against opponents that are reasonably close by, none anywhere near to as far as UNC. Maybe there's something we don't know about
I did mention UNC offered to travel up to Maryland…so…
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I can’t help but think of Snowgate reading this.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax247 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:35 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:21 pm
Not playing 'Cuse either....
Wow you are right. Def not a challenging schedule. Only tough team they play is NU and they play everyone.
For the way the Terps have played the last two years, I think it’s a fairly difficult schedule, even without Syracuse and Carolina. JMU’s never a walk in the park. At Virginia will be tough early in the season. Florida could be tough early as well. It’s going to be interesting watching Maryland in ‘22. I can see 13 wins in this slate.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Lax247 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:35 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:21 pm
Not playing 'Cuse either....
Wow you are right. Def not a challenging schedule. Only tough team they play is NU and they play everyone.
For the way the Terps have played the last two years, I think it’s a fairly difficult schedule, even without Syracuse and Carolina. JMU’s never a walk in the park. At Virginia will be tough early in the season. Florida could be tough early as well. It’s going to be interesting watching Maryland in ‘22. I can see 13 wins in this slate.
I would agree...I see the potential for close games in UVA, FLA, Penn, JMU, G'Town, Hop, Penn State, Princeton, OSU, Mich.

How many the terps win, of those, will determine if they are contender or pretender. That's 10 games that could be close. I bet they lose 4 of those, with 6 not out of the question....Now, if they sweep most of those 10, they are a top 2 candidate to win it all.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The two teams have met in the regular season every year since the first year of the Heels existence in 1996. The only time they didn't meet in the regular season was last year due to covid and the Big 10.

As was stated, Carolina offered to travel to Maryland. Won't Maryland have to travel to Florida next season? The rationale doesn't jive if we're just talking distance and air miles, unless Maryland dumps Florida next year. They have also been a mainstay in Terpville's yearly schedule. We shall see.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:24 pm

The two teams have met in the regular season every year since the first year of the Heels existence in 1996. The only time they didn't meet in the regular season was last year due to covid and the Big 10.

As was stated, Carolina offered to travel to Maryland. Won't Maryland have to travel to Florida next season? The rationale doesn't jive if we're just talking distance and air miles, unless Maryland dumps Florida next year. They have also been a mainstay in Terpville's yearly schedule. We shall see.
Carolina/Florida/Maryland all have budgets (based on Football revenue) to fund away games. That cant be a legitimate excuse. Seems like there is some --ducking-- going on.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

They played every year because they were both in the ACC up until 2015. I realize how it looks, but we only know so much, which is why I said "maybe there's something we don't know about" and why I pointed out that even Maryland's home games are with local/regional teams
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:30 pm

I did mention UNC offered to travel up to Maryland…so…
Which is why I pointed out that even home games have local/regional teams and acknowledged that there's probably things we don't know about....so.....

I know how it looks, but a small part of me is hoping that things just didn't line up this year for the two teams to play and they'll make an effort to schedule each other in the future and is willing to give CR the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she's thinking ahead to NCAA seeding
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Call it ducking or call it wisdom. Lackluster 21, several transfers and highly touted freshman to acclimate.The fewer punches they take the better - for morale, standings and physical health. At the time the schedule was made NU still had Scane and the Ivy is back in the mix. Her job is to position her team for success and post season bid. I do wish they kept game with UNC though. I get why posters are annoyed.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:29 pm

Carolina/Florida/Maryland all have budgets (based on Football revenue) to fund away games. That cant be a legitimate excuse. Seems like there is some --ducking-- going on.
Definitely something going on since only 16 games are scheduled...17 games is the norm so maybe had another scheduled and dropped for some reason. OOC scheduled is meh
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:46 pm They played every year because they were both in the ACC up until 2015. I realize how it looks, but we only know so much, which is why I said "maybe there's something we don't know about" and why I pointed out that even Maryland's home games are with local/regional teams
Correct, but even after Maryland moved to the Big 10, both teams were deliberate in continuing to schedule each other each and every year. Consider also--the Terps dropped Syracuse--one of the resident ACC monsters--from the schedule this year, as well. I'm with Doc--seems like there's some ducking/shielding going on--especially with Snowgate still in the rear view mirror. viewtopic.php?f=129&t=1810

tothedraw also makes great points: "Lackluster '21, several transfers and highly touted freshman to acclimate. The fewer punches they take the better - for morale, standings and physical health."

I'm calling a Terp a Terp on this one.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:23 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:46 pm They played every year because they were both in the ACC up until 2015. I realize how it looks, but we only know so much, which is why I said "maybe there's something we don't know about" and why I pointed out that even Maryland's home games are with local/regional teams
Correct, but even after Maryland moved to the Big 10, both teams were deliberate in continuing to schedule each other each and every year. Consider also--the Terps dropped Syracuse--one of the resident ACC monsters--from the schedule this year, as well. I'm with Doc--seems like there's some ducking/shielding going on--especially with Snowgate still in the rear view mirror. viewtopic.php?f=129&t=1810

tothedraw also makes great points: "Lackluster '21, several transfers and highly touted freshman to acclimate. The fewer punches they take the better - for morale, standings and physical health."

I'm well aware, and have mentioned the fact that CR and JL made a conscious effort to remain on each other's schedules after Maryland's move to the Big 10 many times on this forum. I already said that I know how this looks, but also recognized that I'm not privy to all the information. Is it more than likely the simplest explanation of shielding or tactical scheduling for NCAA seeding is the right one? Probably, but I'm also willing to consider possibilities that don't assume the worst. God forbid a possibility is considered that doesn't show someone in the most negative light.

And I don't think any of this is related to "Snowgate" and don't think it's worth mentioning.
Last edited by wlaxphan20 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I'm well aware, and have mentioned the fact that CR and JL made a conscious effort to remain on each other's schedules after Maryland's move to the Big 10 many times on this forum. I already said that I know how this looks, but also recognized that I'm not privy to all the information. Is it more than likely the simplest explanation of shielding or tactical scheduling for NCAA seeding is the right one? Probably, but I'm also willing to consider possibilities that don't assume the worst. God forbid a possibility is considered that doesn't show someone in the most negative light.

And I don't think any of this is related to "Snowgate" and don't think it's worth mentioning.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think that should be spelled SNOWGAIT.
UMD's duckin' everyone, program's in a tailspin.
Aint got nuthin' left.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:15 am

I think Snowgait (DMac’s correct—this is the more descriptive moniker) is hugely applicable as it was another occasion when CR tried to shield her team, for the reasons tothedraw mentioned earlier.

Whether it is “negative” to speculate in this manner is all a matter of opinion. In this case it is obviously an opinion others have pondered here as well.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Where did the news that Maryland does not want to play UNC come from. I can’t find information anywhere. I also question if Syracuse not playing Maryland is a result of G Gait moving to the mens team. He was the one who had the relationship with Maryland and C Reese after coaching at Maryland. The Terps schedule looks difficult to me.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:00 pm Where did the news that Maryland does not want to play UNC come from. I can’t find information anywhere. I also question if Syracuse not playing Maryland is a result of G Gait moving to the mens team. He was the one who had the relationship with Maryland and C Reese after coaching at Maryland. The Terps schedule looks difficult to me.
I think folks are focused on the absence of Syracuse and UNC, two final four teams regularly on the schedule and now omitted. Meaning no disrespect to anyone, St. Joe's, Delaware, Villanova and W&M are just four games already in the win column. They did schedule the two likely best Ivy teams. But this is a downgrade in SOS in my view.

Feb 12 (Sat) 3:30 PM Away Saint Joseph's

Feb 16 (Wed) 5:00 PM Away Virginia

Feb 26 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Florida

Mar 1 (Tue) 5:00 PM Home Delaware

Mar 5 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away William & Mary

Mar 12 (Sat) 1:00 PM Home Villanova

Mar 19 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Rutgers

Mar 23 (Wed) 5:00 PM Home Penn

Mar 26 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home James Madison

Mar 30 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Georgetown

Apr 2 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away Johns Hopkins

Apr 7 (Thu) 7:00 PM Home Penn State

Apr 13 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Princeton

Apr 17 (Sun) 12:00 PM Away Ohio State

Apr 23 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Northwestern

Apr 30 (Sat) 12:00 PM Away Michigan
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Definitely avoiding tough games to rebuild the team. I’m guessing It’s definitely a strategy to incorporate the transfers and freshmen with the handful of proven vets ..pad the record, make the tournament without injuries and hopefully peaking.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:51 pm Definitely avoiding tough games to rebuild the team. I’m guessing It’s definitely a strategy to incorporate the transfers and freshmen with the handful of proven vets ..pad the record, make the tournament without injuries and hopefully peaking.
There is no getting around the change in MD’s strength of schedule this year vs seasons past. I think we can all agree that CNR usually has a good feel for her teams , and having them peak at the proper time. A coach has to value what is more beneficial to a team facing tough out of conference foes at the beginning of your season ( this is where UNC & Cuse were always scheduled because the Big schedule always closes out the season) I would surmise you have to figure out do you need to build your teams confidence up at the start of the season or do you run the risk of being beat up early and ruining any confidence you may have been developing. Based on MD‘s seasons the past 2 years I trust CNR has her finger on the pulse of her teams psyche and knows what’s best for this particular team. This approach doesn’t have to be forever, and I will certainly miss the early season match ups from prior seasons , however I believe that CNR has earned the right to mentor her team in the way that best fits her needs for this season. JMO.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”