Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm Enough with the Sowers, DocB. He's not coming here for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that he is good friends with Jack Rapine since childhood—they played in high school together and Sowers' dad was their coach. Leaving all the hearsay and unconfirmed rumors of the situation out of it, I doubt that Mr. Rapine will exactly give his buddy a glowing recommendation of the program he just left. My guess is Sowers ends up at Duke, Virginia, Penn State, or Georgetown, which was his second choice before he committed to Princeton. Duke is in the fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) position of being a desirable top-tier destination that could really use a quarterback on offense to play mostly behind the cage. And I guess now that Ament is gone, PSU is in a similar boat.

Morrill, however—should he enter the portal (he very well may not)—would be a more realistic target IMO.

These big names are fun to talk about but what the Jays could really use in 2021 is competent goaltending. There are several already in the portal.
You may be right and he has lots of options. But many factors may be in play, and if Hopkins is the right academic fit, who knows ....

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

It’s almost like people forget we haven’t had a transfer of note in years. Gerald Logan was a bust. Getting the blow off from Gray and Scanlan doesn’t really give me confidence the Jays will close the deal on any players in the portal currently. Then there is the financial side of 55 players and a class of 18 coming in. Where’s the money for the transfers coming from?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:33 pm It’s almost like people forget we haven’t had a transfer of note in years. Gerald Logan was a bust. Getting the blow off from Gray and Scanlan doesn’t really give me confidence the Jays will close the deal on any players in the portal currently. Then there is the financial side of 55 players and a class of 18 coming in. Where’s the money for the transfers coming from?
MB
JHUFan

Post by JHUFan »

I would think Hopkins has to be at the very least on the radar (if not one of the final contenders) for all Ivy players in this situation (i.e. Sowers and Morril) simply because of the academic reputation. Who works their butt off at Yale or Princeton for 4 years only to settle for a degree from a clearly inferior academic institution (i.e. Penn State) with no consideration for Hopkins, which is easily the best academic option left out there with a relevant lacrosse team with Duke being the only exception.
Homewood15

Post by Homewood15 »

2015:
Ryan Brown (JR): 61g - 16a - 77 pts
Wells Stanwick (SR): 28g - 43a- 71 pts
Shack Stanwick (FR): 28g - 23a - 51 pts

Career:
Ryan Brown: 159g - 50a - 209 pts (T-7 All-Time)
Wells Stanwick: 84g - 124 - 208 pts (8th All-Time)
Shack Stanwick: 92g - 117a - 209 pts (T-7 All-Time)

Syracuse - JHU 2015 NCAA QF:
SS32 (FR*): 4g - 2a - 6pts
WS42 (SR): 4g - 2a - 6pts
RB4 (JR): 2g - 2a - 4pts

Unit Total: 10g - 6a - 16pts

Final Score: JHU 16 - SU 15

Man, was that unit fun to watch. All 3 went on to serve as Captains. When will we see another Attack unit like this at HOP, with such great leaders on and off the field?

It's incredible, really, to think back to how ungrateful this thread was (especially to Wells and Shack) during their time at Hopkins. Elite QB's that made everyone around them better. Any program/fanbase in the country would love to have either as part of their program. JHU had both. I get the whole "no championship" narrative - does HOP even make the FF in '15, or win the '15/'18 BIG10 Championship without them?

I wonder what this decade looks like if Wells didn't commit to Hopkins and entice Shack to do the same.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment and give the Stanwicks a LOT of credit for creating a very bright spot on a rather uninteresting 12 year stretch.

And I will never forget the 19-7 absolute thrashing of Virginia at Klockner in the playoffs. The Stanwicks and Ryan put on an absolute clinic.
Old Lax Fan

Post by Old Lax Fan »

In terms of being fun to watch, that 2015 trio ranks up there with Cowan, McCarty, and Kneip, along with other great Hopkins attack units. It's too bad that all three are not on the All Time Team.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

If the Stanwicks hadn’t come to Hopkins, Brown hadn’t emerged, and others like Tinney led the offense in big ways, we might have had a new OC or entire new staff by now.

They made Benson look good. For awhile at least.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jarjar

Post by jarjar »

That is one of the most positive accounts of the program I’ve seen in a while, highlighting great people. That’s a very good look for the program
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

JHUFan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:38 pm I would think Hopkins has to be at the very least on the radar (if not one of the final contenders) for all Ivy players in this situation (i.e. Sowers and Morril) simply because of the academic reputation. Who works their butt off at Yale or Princeton for 4 years only to settle for a degree from a clearly inferior academic institution (i.e. Penn State) with no consideration for Hopkins, which is easily the best academic option left out there with a relevant lacrosse team with Duke being the only exception.
this is tremendous. stealing it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:33 pm It’s almost like people forget we haven’t had a transfer of note in years. Gerald Logan was a bust. Getting the blow off from Gray and Scanlan doesn’t really give me confidence the Jays will close the deal on any players in the portal currently. Then there is the financial side of 55 players and a class of 18 coming in. Where’s the money for the transfers coming from?
tradition.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Instead of fixating on Sowers, with no Hopkins tie (and whose Princeton O coordinator is at Syracuse), JHU should be pulling out the stops to convince Jackson Morrill to play for a graduate year. He could be the third Morrill in three generations to play for the Jays. He was elected Yale captain so he could be a leader in a program seemingly looking for leadership. He could be the hometown (McDonough) kid coming to Baltimore to help out the legendary program that's struggling. He's already won a national championship so he doesn't have to chase a sure bet for Memorial Day. He doesn't have to bail out on his Yale degree. He and a healthy Joey Epstein would be a lethal attack combination.

If the JHU coaching staff is not making that pitch they're not just asleep at the wheel, they're in a coma.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:52 am
tradition.
I think you’re under the wrong impression. Even with the tradition there is still a budget. There has to be
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Old Lax Fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:09 am In terms of being fun to watch, that 2015 trio ranks up there with Cowan, McCarty, and Kneip, along with other great Hopkins attack units. It's too bad that all three are not on the All Time Team.
"... other great Hopkins attack units..."
Billy Morrill( 1st team AA ),
Mickey Webster( 1st team AA ),
John Jory( 2nd team AA ).

Certainly a truly great Hopkins attack unit...!!!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Another thing with Sowers: My hunch is that his preference would be to go somewhere that doesn't have Princeton on their schedule. Another reason why we'd be an unlikely destination. Also a point against UVA, and a point in favor of Duke and PSU.
flalax22 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:18 pm
tradition.
I think you’re under the wrong impression. Even with the tradition there is still a budget. There has to be
Pretty sure he's being facetious.
Thanks for sharing. Pion seems like a great kid and he clearly had a very positive experience at Homewood.
Homewood15 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:52 am It's incredible, really, to think back to how ungrateful this thread was (especially to Wells and Shack) during their time at Hopkins.
It wasn't the entire thread—it was just a few specific people. It might have seemed like the entire thread because those few specific people post the same exact things over and over.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:18 pm
tradition.
mine was a joke.
it would seem returners, if there are a few, would have a little more flexibility with schollies (12.6+). back of the napkin probably not any athletic scholly money.
with bloomberg's largesse, is there academic aid? between any of that and fiscal aid, options are ivy kids and anyone whose parents make real good money and don't care the pricetag, and those that fall into the hyp heavy financial aid bands. which leaves plenty of options. particularly players that are accomplished and might see an opportunity to play.
as far as roster size, hopkins brings in 15-20 kids every year. at least up until they may show up.
they expect attrition, and this would seem to be a year where they'd have as much or more as usual.
i think the expectation wouldn't be 6 or 7 guys, but maybe several to plug holes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:15 am If the Stanwicks hadn’t come to Hopkins, Brown hadn’t emerged, and others like Tinney led the offense in big ways, we might have had a new OC or entire new staff by now.

They made Benson look good. For awhile at least.
And who brought them all to Hopkins?

Yes, Benson and Petro. They made the four look good, too.

Two-way street.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:16 am Instead of fixating on Sowers, with no Hopkins tie (and whose Princeton O coordinator is at Syracuse), JHU should be pulling out the stops to convince Jackson Morrill to play for a graduate year. He could be the third Morrill in three generations to play for the Jays. He was elected Yale captain so he could be a leader in a program seemingly looking for leadership. He could be the hometown (McDonough) kid coming to Baltimore to help out the legendary program that's struggling. He's already won a national championship so he doesn't have to chase a sure bet for Memorial Day. He doesn't have to bail out on his Yale degree. He and a healthy Joey Epstein would be a lethal attack combination.

If the JHU coaching staff is not making that pitch they're not just asleep at the wheel, they're in a coma.
I’m sure they’re making the pitch. Would be a perfect fit at Hopkins.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Not a perfect fit necessarily at all. Look - he's a very very good player - 2 X 3rd team AA so better accolades than any Hopkins attack man for a while but look what they have to consider if he joined the team - let's even forget the excellent points about scholarship $ and roster size but what exactly do you tell Murphy? What do you tell Angelus? What do you tell McDermott? Bauer even? And what do you tell Epstein? Sorry Joseph - I know we told you that you had the keys to the car but now.... how about you play a little wing? And its not that Epstein couldn't play on the side but why would you want him to? I imagine if you had Pat Spencer play middie - he would be a pretty darn good middie - but again why ever would you think to do it? You are taking a year away from Epstein and making him play a piece of the field that may not be optimal for him. If you were to add Morrill you better be pretty sure you know what you're doing. Sowers, for example, is a slightly different animal- he's the best player in the country most likely so then you have a better argument with everyone else if for some reason he wanted to come to Hopkins its simply something you likely can't pass up.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”